Community MetaSteam | July 2024 - Summer arrived to Dawntrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I very rarely buy games day 1 and usually don't mind waiting, but not being able to play Rebirth does sting.
But I don't feel like I can complain. SMTV is finally on Steam and I even get to play it on a amazing handheld. SMT and Persona on steam was a pipe dream just a few years ago and now they even release day 1.
Same with Yakuza. Franchise was dead in the west. I still remember how happy I was when Sony announced Y5. Now we're up to the eighth entry and getting day 1 releases on steam. I don't take this stuff for granted, we've come such a long way.

• This!
Reactions: xinek and BO7AMMOOD

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
If Concord flops at launch I think Sony will immediately discount it.

So it makes even less sense paying 40$ for it now. Its pvp only game so they will drop that price down to 15$ or under in matter of months probably. There will be no point in updating the game if its dead so they will have to make a decision fast. Its pretty much abandon or discount.

These type of games need to be F2p. I think Blizzard had the right idea with Overwatch 2 but there is so much toxicity with anything Blizz does that it was hard to judge how successful OW2 really was.

So it seems that the AC Shadows thing actually had an impact????

I'm not sure because of Google translate but at the same time it seems like games can no longer be enjoyed. I'm not even sure how history accurate AC even is (maybe some tid bits but that's it) and I'd imagine that there is a reason why even dating back to 2007 why they include a warning before you play the game about how the game is made by people of various backgrounds and faiths and in a way to cover their butts in case it is seen as offensive since it can be viewed that way. Is it accurate? I don't know I was not there doing those time periods and once again it's a scifi story where you are able to travel back in time because of your families DNA.

Basically it seems that the Yosuke information is incorrect and as a result the Japanese government is upset about it? Which I find funny considering how they themselves have basically rewriten their own history to make Japan look like less of a bad guy. There is a reason why even to this day there is negative sentiment for Japan, but a lot of younger people don't even know about it because textbook and stuff in class don't really teach the younger generation about it.

Also if seems that even after all of these years that Japan still has issues with "comfort women". Also in the thing they talk about how people that are Black living in Japan will claim to have heritage of Black slaves living in Japan and want compensation. This is strange and also I doubt they would even give money to any that makes claims, considering how they didn't even want to give money to atomic bomb victims. And how even some of that stuff is being swept under the carpet,which is a really shame since there are elderly atomic bomb survivors that would never wish for a similar fate to happen to anyone else.
Ubisoft has so much manpower and resources...they really need to start doing create a character for these games. They've done enough of these giant endless open world games so it should not be a problem for them to go the BioWare route. This way you will please everyone and let the focus be on the time period instead of internet bs. The immersion of AssCreed has always been the environment and NPCs imo so who cares about main characters. Let people create the characters they want to play and the devs can focus on the voice/audio work. You want to make RPGs then you go all out. They were clearly influenced by Witcher 3 for when they pushed to make Origins and Odyssey. Now let something like Baldur's Gate 3 influence you for the next wave of AssCreed.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekeats1999

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
Its closest competition right now is a DLC that may not even get nominated and barring some out of left field surprise I don't see anything upcoming that's going to be a contender other than astrobot maybe. After nearly 7 months it's still the clear frontrunner.
I'm surprised by how much people ignore Metaphor when talking about Gotys. Their previous title Persona 5 Royal has a metacritic of 95, higher than Rebirth's 92. That game is absolutely going to be a GOTY contender

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Is it just with this game that Ubisoft is talking about how historically accurate it is? Or has this been something in more recent year, in general, where they have been saying that despite some of the scifi elements of AC that they try to make them as historically accurate as possible.

When it came to AC Unity from my understanding they did try to go make parts of it as historically accurate as possible since they are a French company. They are rebuilding that one church that burned down with information that Ubisoft has right?

I see what you mean about native protagonist but that's also why I feel that they should have used a different time period in Japan history. But then again what is assassin's creed even about any more and something something the Templar faction.
They always boasted about historical accuracy but ever since they switched to RPG games they are bending things more and more.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
This isn't a demo. It's damn near a full game.

It starts off as a regular platformer then turns into fucking Wind Waker,

I will say, it's tough to get the hang of. I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Silksong too will likely have an overwhelming critical praise
If they didn't mention it during this recent summer fest I don't think its coming this year.

Best bet is it launches with the Switch 2 early next year. That way they push the game with the hype of new hardware while also selling it to millions of PC/Console gamers. It will be a massive release assuming the game is half decent. But for now you have to let them cook.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I'm surprised by how much people ignore Metaphor when talking about Gotys. Their previous title Persona 5 Royal has a metacritic of 95, higher than Rebirth's 92. That game is absolutely going to be a GOTY contender
It's possible, especially in a weak year, I just think the game being fantasy persona with no relationships is going to ding the reception a bit. The current gaming climate tends to be a little harsh on games that feel too iterative and even more when it's a "new IP" that ends up largely being the same thing again as what they're known for. Who knows though this might get a pass.

It's really hard to predict this stuff because even high review scores may not matter. There are plenty of games with high review scores that get left off for arbitrary reasons at these things or they get included but the general feeling is they have no chance of winning. God of war 2018 beat out a noticeably higher rated game and tbh it wasn't surprising at the time because the "vibe" I was picking up by the media was that they felt much stronger about it than RDR 2 despite the review discrepancy.

Reactions: xinek

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

So it makes even less sense paying 40$ for it now. Its pvp only game so they will drop that price down to 15$ or under in matter of months probably. There will be no point in updating the game if its dead so they will have to make a decision fast. Its pretty much abandon or discount.

These type of games need to be F2p. I think Blizzard had the right idea with Overwatch 2 but there is so much toxicity with anything Blizz does that it was hard to judge how successful OW2 really was.

Ubisoft has so much manpower and resources...they really need to start doing create a character for these games. They've done enough of these giant endless open world games so it should not be a problem for them to go the BioWare route. This way you will please everyone and let the focus be on the time period instead of internet bs. The immersion of AssCreed has always been the environment and NPCs imo so who cares about main characters. Let people create the characters they want to play and the devs can focus on the voice/audio work. You want to make RPGs then you go all out. They were clearly influenced by Witcher 3 for when they pushed to make Origins and Odyssey. Now let something like Baldur's Gate 3 influence you for the next wave of AssCreed.
I'm not sure that's a good idea. Despite how much effort went into BG3. And despite you being able to make what ever character you wanted. On Steam the devs made a post saying they were disappointed with players. "you could have chosen a lizard or anything else but you choose a white human man, congratulations players you have just made the default vault dweller".

So yes you could make what ever you want but from the looks of it, it will also just be time spent on stuff that sadly people may never really look at. Hey guys we spent hours and a lot of money on these cool customization options. What do you mean that players mainly just chose one of the 10 presets that we made available for them and then they never bothered to touch it again?

So is nice but I feel like they would rather stick with giving you the option to play as a male or female version of the main character and then just move on from there.
They always boasted about historical accuracy but ever since they switched to RPG games they are bending things more and more.
Wow, I just I never really noticed or rather I never really looked into Ubisoft interviews.

Reactions: yuraya

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
It's possible, especially in a weak year, I just think the game being fantasy persona with no relationships is going to ding the reception a bit. The current gaming climate tends to be a little harsh on games that feel too iterative and even more when it's a "new IP" that ends up largely being the same thing again as what they're known for. Who knows though this might get a pass.

It's really hard to predict this stuff because even high review scores may not matter. There are plenty of games with high review scores that get left off for arbitrary reasons at these things or they get included but the general feeling is they have no chance of winning. God of war 2018 beat out a noticeably higher rated game and tbh it wasn't surprising at the time because the "vibe" I was picking up by the media was that they felt much stronger about it than RDR 2 despite the review discrepancy.

Don't forget Echoes of Wisdom.

Zelda is a media darling franchise so if it gets good reviews + playable Zelda + Switch farewell title = this could easily beat out Rebirth in the GOTYs. The media could give it sympathy votes too since so many gave BG3 votes last year over Tears of the Kingdom. Wouldn't surprise me if many big reviewers and voters out there push Echoes this year as a result.

Rebirth winning GOTY would be pretty cool even if it didn't sell well lol. FF series never gets any type of love like that.

And hey they could advertise the GOTY edition when they sell it to PC gamers next year ;) But with how fucking slow Square is it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't even release on PC next year seeing how XVI still hasn't gotten announced and its been >12 months since the PS5 release now..

Reactions: xinek

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018

Ubisoft can have double the current number of employees and they wouldn't be able to do anything. They can't write good character for more than a decade and you want them to try anything related to BG3? They released make your own character games like Far Cry 5 and made it not talk at all and it made game worse. Vast majority of games where you create your own character is inferior to those games with predetermined main character because doing custom character properly required a lot of time and money. And publishers are not willing to invest that much. Even with current male/female choice Ubisoft can't top their previous main characters from AC like Ezio or Edward.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Ubisoft can have double the current number of employees and they wouldn't be able to do anything. They can't write good character for more than a decade and you want them to try anything related to BG3? They released make your own character games like Far Cry 5 and made it not talk at all and it made game worse. Vast majority of games where you create your own character is inferior to those games with predetermined main character because doing custom character properly required a lot of time and money. And publishers are not willing to invest that much. Even with current male/female choice Ubisoft can't top their previous main characters from AC like Ezio or Edward.
Never forget.

Top tier stuff really.

By the way since RE 7 and 8 and FPS games do they also have scenes sort of like this? I'd imagine that there are at least a couple like these were Capcom was able to do some interesting story telling since it sounds like it's a 1on1 type of thing. Especially compared to other stuff that they do.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Tried the Concord beta. The game is good, but doesn't do anything than can differentiate it from all the other alternatives on the market. I can see this game being fun for some hours, then it will get boring.

Reactions: lashman

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Don't forget Echoes of Wisdom.

Zelda is a media darling franchise so if it gets good reviews + playable Zelda + Switch farewell title = this could easily beat out Rebirth in the GOTYs. The media could give it sympathy votes too since so many gave BG3 votes last year over Tears of the Kingdom. Wouldn't surprise me if many big reviewers and voters out there push Echoes this year as a result.
Yeah zelda is a curious one because it's really not a mainline zelda it's kind of like a handheld one, if handheld games still existed for nintendo. In the past those were ignored by practically everyone but because it's a weak year and because nintendo usually gets a token nomination I can easily see it being chosen among the 6 contenders. I would be absolutely stunned if it won though.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
Should be on PC as well right? Like every previous tales remastered/rerelease?
There are many things that can be said about Bamco's weird decision making when talking about videogames, but you can't deny they've been the number one PC supporter for the longest among big JP publishers
If this Xillia remaster is real it wil 100% release on Steam. Retailers don't have it because pc won't have a physical version at all, as with most of their pc releases

TheThunder

Jun 27, 2024

I've gotten a bit addicted to Sekiro. About ~35 of those hours are from 2019 when I first played it, but I've done two consecutive runs in the past week. After playing Elden Ring, I appreciate how smaller scale and laser focused Sekiro is. I also love the combat system and while it is a one trick pony, it's one hell of a pony.

I won't say it is From's best game, but it is their most consistent. Nearly every other Souls game (and Bloodborne) has at least one major thing in it I simply don't like while the worst thing I can say about Sekiro is that I don't like how some minibosses are rehashed.

By ending I meant final chapter, which is around the last 10%. I was loving it up until that point, but they completely botched THE scene. Nearly 6 months later and I"m still mad.

I wouldn't say I'm dependent on AAA games. Some of the best games I've played this year are indie (Balatro) or lower budget (Unicorn Overlord). At the same time I also like my AAAslop.
Sekiro is the best FROM game in terms of pacing and has the highest ratio of high quality/bad elements of any FROM game when it comes to design decisions and gameplay elements.

When it comes to bosses it's also their best work (probably helps having only one play-style/weapon vs many classes and weapons of the typical souls games) with only one "bad" boss imo
Demon of Hatred

It's the only game on Steam where I got %100 of the achievements (helps that they are mostly easy to get and don't involve 100s of hours of grind)

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I finished almost 50 games this year already and the vast majority of them were bangers.
That's a lot of games already. Outside of Helldivers 2, I haven't played any new releases this year. I continued my Fallout replay (Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout: New Vegas specifically). I'll likely do New Vegas later this year. I'm working my way through the Dark Souls trilogy again. I'm on the Scholar of the First Sin DLCs now. The surprise addiction for me was getting into Warcraft again.

Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness
Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos

I finished all of these, and I'm now well into The Frozen Throne. I was playing The Founding of Durotar yesterday and it all came back to me — how much of the World of Warcraft questing foundation was established here, and the Durotar, Mulgore, Dustwallow Marsh, etc. zones.

I've come close to picking up Norco a few times. It looks quite interesting.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Can't wait for US elections to be over. Social media around their elections is unbearable and for the rest of us it basically doesn't matter who wins because some part of the world will be f-ed no matter who wins.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Recent gamepass releases and steam concurrents

Not great. All these games bombed.

But, I do not think gamepass is necessarily at fault. After all, all these games were not on gamepass, and bombed too:

Outcast 2, Alone in the Dark, Suicide Squad, Concord (is bombing), Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, Tales of Kenzera: Zau, Thaumaturge, Nobody Wants to Die..

Too many games are being made for the amount of people buying them.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Sending all my vibes to Kamala Harris, hopefulle she can beat the half-fascistic hatefull super old capitalistic madman.
Because the Democrats is dumb they'll probably try to push someone pointless like Gavin Newsome cause he's a man. I hate my country lol. But really anyone can't be worse than the other guy

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
News story from the US. Person is upset over both candidates and decides to put a sign in from of her lawn. She gets fined by her city (city hall is across the street from her) for the vulgar words. She then uses the city and wins money since they restricted her right to free speech.

President stuff in the US can be bad but I don't think it's been this bad in the last 12 years!!!! It's been like this since 2016. You either choose Trump or Hillary and people didn't want either. Choose the leader of the two evils. I'm sure it's always been that case but we have reached new heights. The 2020 election was also bad. And the 2024 election is not much better. Once Trump is no longer running in 2028 and Democrats choose some one else. I wonder what that will be like. Maybe just slightly more peaceful? Past candidates in the past have been crazy, you basically have to be in order to run for president.

Never forget in America you have dozens upon dozen of choices for yogurt and cereal in any given grocery store. But you only have two options for who gets to be president.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Sekiro is the best FROM game in terms of pacing and has the highest ratio of high quality/bad elements of any FROM game when it comes to design decisions and gameplay elements.

When it comes to bosses it's also their best work (probably helps having only one play-style/weapon vs many classes and weapons of the typical souls games) with only one "bad" boss imo
Demon of Hatred

It's the only game on Steam where I got %100 of the achievements (helps that they are mostly easy to get and don't involve 100s of hours of grind)
I got the Return ending yesterday and got Sekiro'd out. Funny thing is I beat Isshin on like my 5th try when the first time I played it in 2019 it took me probably 4-5 hours. I'm hoping to get 100% cheevs at some point, but not today.

Also I agree about the bosses. You feel evenly matched with nearly every boss. I stole this from somewhere, but a lot Elden Ring bosses feel like they belong in Devil May Cry instead of a Souls game. I thought the worst boss was the Folding Screen Monkeys, but that's just kind of boring than actually frustrating.
Recent gamepass releases and steam concurrents

Not great. All these games bombed.

But, I do not think gamepass is necessarily at fault. After all, all these games were not on gamepass, and bombed too:

Outcast 2, Alone in the Dark, Suicide Squad, Concord (is bombing), Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, Tales of Kenzera: Zau, Thaumaturge, Nobody Wants to Die..

Too many games are being made for the amount of people buying them.
I would have bought Kunitsu-Gami on Steam if I didn't have an active Game Pass subscription.

Sending all my vibes to Kamala Harris, hopefulle she can beat the half-fascistic hatefull super old capitalistic madman.
I've been huffing doomium since the debate. Today I took a whiff of hopium.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Because the Democrats is dumb they'll probably try to push someone pointless like Gavin Newsome cause he's a man. I hate my country lol. But really anyone can't be worse than the other guy
Gonna be tough for Kamala since she is not battle tested. She didn't fully run or win any primaries. She doesn't have that foundation as Trump/Biden/Clinton/Obama had.

She also gonna have to campaign hard for the elderly vote that Biden did well with. AOC brought this up recently.

Biden is so dumb for not doing this a year ago but then again aging does tend to accelerate. The end comes at you fast and he looks very old today compared to 2-3 years ago.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The US electing the first woman, and a black woman at that, for POTUS in 2024, a year where the collective West seems otherwise bent on regressive, fascist ideals, would be so amazing.
So of course it will probably not happen.

Reactions: QFNS

mastemas

truman doctrine (actual norwegian guy)
Apr 15, 2021
i've come here from nowhere again after years of absence to ask for a very particular set of skills from some individuals

this is a small game i did a small job on, the guy (artist of the assets) wants it on steam (which i was informed of a bit late), so i've come here to ask the only in-depth games people i know for som questions:
  1. the guy wants the game to give the user a steam inventory item when they win a prize on the wheel; any pseudo-abstract-idea on how to do that?
  2. to spin, the user needs tickets; they're given a ticket once every 24 hours, but having it be tracked locally on your computr isn't the best idea - any way of having steam track that for users?

othr than that, life update!! wow!!!!!
  • i got done with m degree wow!!
  • i visited tokyo and did cool stuff there
  • am taking a master's degree only because it allows me to take an exchange trip back to japan and literally nothing else
  • i am 30k dollars in debt

edit: also i'll probs be here more frequently cuz now this page will start whenevr i open chrome again

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Can't wait for US elections to be over. Social media around their elections is unbearable and for the rest of us it basically doesn't matter who wins because some part of the world will be f-ed no matter who wins.
I really don't agree with this. I'm obviously not from the US, and if they really want to fuck themselves over then they are welcome to, but one of the candidates wants to defund the EPA and kill any environmental protections which get in the way of industry profiteering, and that sadly does affect all of us stuck on the same planet. Milquetoast centrist policy-making might not be supremely appealing on its own merit, but comparatively it's vastly preferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.