Community MetaSteam | July 2024 - Summer arrived to Dawntrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
The weird thing is that Sony was allegedly so impressed by the game that they bought the studio
Sony also thought Foamstars was worth buying exclusivity for. I think Sony is simply in a "we need as many 1st-party gaas as possible" so they're basically throwing shit at the wall hoping something sticks like HD2
Since the State of Play showing, Concord looked like any other pvp hero shooter released in the last 3 years. This game is simply too late to the market

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I've lost count of all the derivative GaaS that have crashed and burned these last few years. The weird thing is that Sony was allegedly so impressed by the game that they bought the studio. I guess we'll see what happens, there have been a few examples of GaaS games launching terribly and becoming a hit later.
With 40$ price is dead as dodo.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
That's the thing, out of the box, Helldivers 2 was easily marketable. It's an easy sell of Starship Troopers with Robots as well. Then the videos on tiktok and YouTube of the crazy shit you could get up to helped as well.

And I know concord is only in Beta but there is nothing to inspire me to try it if it was F2P, nevermind a £35 game.

Also doesn't help that I am far more interested in just waiting to see what valve does with deadlock.

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Too many games releasing. It's not even a price thing, I still have some days of game pass* left. There are just too many games.

* I would have bought Kunitsu-Gami for Deck, Capcom. At 50 you can go fuck yourselves, though:highfiveblob:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I actually think this is the lightest year we've had since 2021. Until dawntrail came out end of last month the last day 1 game I got was stellar blade and before that was rebirth. I took a look at upcoming games and there's only like maybe 3 games I want for the rest of this year.

I agree there's a lot of games coming out but almost none of them have any kind of appeal. Lots of predictable sub par 6 or 7/10 games on the horizon like space marine 2, dragon age and star wars outlaws.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I actually think this is the lightest year we've had since 2021. Until dawntrail came out end of last month the last day 1 game I got was stellar blade and before that was rebirth. I took a look at upcoming games and there's only like maybe 3 games I want for the rest of this year.

I agree there's a lot of games coming out but almost none of them have any kind of appeal. Lots of predictable sub par 6 or 7/10 games on the horizon like space marine 2, dragon age and star wars outlaws.
While indies and smaller games are, as usual, showing up in droves, it has been an awful year for bigger titles. Between Persona 3 Reload, Dragon's Dogma 2, and Shadow of the Erdtree, I have also found the slate of AAA games to be disappointing. FF7 Rebirth would probably be my GOTY, and that's a low bar especially after that clustertruck of an ending.

The only big game I"m looking forward to the rest of the year is Metaphor. Hashino don't let me down.

Reactions: Derrick01

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
While indies and smaller games are, as usual, showing up in droves, it has been an awful year for bigger titles. Between Persona 3 Reload, Dragon's Dogma 2, and Shadow of the Erdtree, I have also found the slate of AAA games to be disappointing. FF7 Rebirth would probably be my GOTY, and that's a low bar especially after that clustertruck of an ending.

The only big game I"m looking forward to the rest of the year is Metaphor. Hashino don't let me down.
Eh the ending is like 2% of a 120 hour game that is full of the highest quality stuff I've seen in games in an incredibly long time. It'll be my easiest choice for goty in probably 15 years. I still can't believe that game was real and came out in current times with how much budget has restricted what games can do.

Metaphor's one of the games I'm getting (thanks GMG price error) but I can't say I'm excited for it. It just looks like persona again but without the romance stuff and honestly it's frustrating that it still looks like a ps3 game after how much the last few persona games have sold. I'm not asking for Rebirth quality from atlus but they can afford to push things higher than ps3 tier.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

You leave Space Marine 2 out of this, you monster.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It must be hard to be dependent on AAA games. (Though I did greatly enjoy Shadow of the Erdtree, it was just as good as the base game IMO)

Anyway, I recently completed Rain World and it's easily one of the most unique, innovative and flat-out interesting games I've played in years. That said, I probably wouldn't have had the mindset necessary to fully enjoy it if I hadn't played it in coop.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The Crowdstrike thing (which I only read about, I never heard of the company before and none of our systems are affected) should probably reignite the discussion about kernel-level anti-cheat.
Any update to some kernel-level anti-cheat in a game could potentially brick the PC of everyone who has installed it. (Well, "brick" in the same way as is happening now, that is requiring physical access and a safe boot with some manual work to restore)

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Honestly I feel vindicated through all this stuff about going hard on physical media again when I look at shit like Denuvo etc
Too many games releasing. It's not even a price thing, I still have some days of game pass* left. There are just too many games.
Oh god tell me about it

My backlog is growing exponentially now with my more limited games time

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
The Crowdstrike thing (which I only read about, I never heard of the company before and none of our systems are affected) should probably reignite the discussion about kernel-level anti-cheat.
Any update to some kernel-level anti-cheat in a game could potentially brick the PC of everyone who has installed it. (Well, "brick" in the same way as is happening now, that is requiring physical access and a safe boot with some manual work to restore)
It should but it won't sadly

Reactions: LEANIJA and QFNS

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018

I finished almost 50 games this year already and the vast majority of them were bangers.

(Standouts so far)

Given the amount of games out there, any complaints about not having to play anything made anytime past 1990 are just a self-inflicted wound.

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
i'm playing 3/4 gachas and i'm not playing other games
I've lost control of my life. Now that I've finished Erdtree, I got back on that Maplestory bullshit. I've been playing that shit on and off for almost 20 years.
I also never stopped doing my Genshin dailies. I could never do more than 1 gacha, the FOMO anxiety hits me too hard.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I finished almost 50 games this year already and the vast majority of them were bangers.

(Standouts so far)

Given the amount of games out there, any complaints about not having to play anything made anytime past 1990 are just a self-inflicted wound.
I'm not complaining I'm glad it's a light year. I need time to catch up from last year's stuff.

There's always a lot of things releasing but 90% of it isn't worth paying any attention to. There's so many games that I have no reason to waste time on junk or mediocrity.

Reactions: Knurek

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Random ass indie game has better numbers than this.
Random ass better game has better numbers.
Being indie has nothing to do with it and it almost makes them sound as lesser products.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I would imagine there must be some sort of new amazing mod or something that blew up ala DayZ did for arma 2 forever ago that a streamer showed off or whatever for Arma 3

Reactions: lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

Feels like one of those transition or mid gen years. Sports games and COD will probably dominate all the sales talk while the Switch has a few nice things.

Its ok to have years like this as last year was very stacked. And next year will be huge with GTA6 selling a ton. The Switch 2 will also be something fresh for the industry.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
As someone who doesn't give a flying fuck about if what Im playing is AA, AAA, indie or made by a 2 man team with a 40$ budget, there are so many good games that are coming and that has already released that I have yet to be able to play.

Today I finished Ready or Not campaign, tommorrow, I will continue on Mullet Madjack, start up Madison, sometime next week I will hopefully start up Octopath Traveler 2, then Im thinking about Afterimage, Astlibra Revision and Dysmantle. On the side Im still playing Risk of Rain 2, Stardew Valley and Terraria atm. Checking my curated backlog collection of 180+ games, lots of stuff I wanna play. I own, but haven't gotten time to play MH Rise, Sons of the Forest or Songs of Conquest either yet. Shadow Gambit, Skald: The Black Priority, World of Horror, Lunacid and many more.

So much good stuff.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Feels like one of those transition or mid gen years. Sports games and COD will probably dominate all the sales talk while the Switch has a few nice things.

Its ok to have years like this as last year was very stacked. And next year will be huge with GTA6 selling a ton. The Switch 2 will also be something fresh for the industry.
Historically the year after legendary years in gaming is usually pretty weak even when games came out faster than they do now.

and that's fine with me. Everything clearing out for Rebirth to win goty this year.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm not sure if this is true but it seems that yet again Steam has been hiding some bad actors. In a way this does seem to kinda tie in to the whole hate group stuff and things in general that go on. I'm surprised that you don't have at least government people involved in said groups and at least monitor them or something.

By the way it's not just bad actors but also you do see some crazy stuff that people just share and then later on when an investigation is going on all of a sudden Steam some how gets mentioned. As you can see here, this person was involved with these individuals in this game and this is how they shared classified government information that could bring harm to people.

Reactions: QFNS

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I'm not sure if this is true but it seems that yet again Steam has been hiding some bad actors. In a way this does seem to kinda tie in to the whole hate group stuff and things in general that go on. I'm surprised that you don't have at least government people involved in said groups and at least monitor them or something.

By the way it's not just bad actors but also you do see some crazy stuff that people just share and then later on when an investigation is going on all of a sudden Steam some how gets mentioned. As you can see here, this person was involved with these individuals in this game and this is how they shared classified government information that could bring harm to people.
It's long past time Valve did something about the hate groups and similar bad actors on Steam.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
So it seems that the AC Shadows thing actually had an impact????

I'm not sure because of Google translate but at the same time it seems like games can no longer be enjoyed. I'm not even sure how history accurate AC even is (maybe some tid bits but that's it) and I'd imagine that there is a reason why even dating back to 2007 why they include a warning before you play the game about how the game is made by people of various backgrounds and faiths and in a way to cover their butts in case it is seen as offensive since it can be viewed that way. Is it accurate? I don't know I was not there doing those time periods and once again it's a scifi story where you are able to travel back in time because of your families DNA.

Basically it seems that the Yosuke information is incorrect and as a result the Japanese government is upset about it? Which I find funny considering how they themselves have basically rewriten their own history to make Japan look like less of a bad guy. There is a reason why even to this day there is negative sentiment for Japan, but a lot of younger people don't even know about it because textbook and stuff in class don't really teach the younger generation about it.

Also if seems that even after all of these years that Japan still has issues with "comfort women". Also in the thing they talk about how people that are Black living in Japan will claim to have heritage of Black slaves living in Japan and want compensation. This is strange and also I doubt they would even give money to any that makes claims, considering how they didn't even want to give money to atomic bomb victims. And how even some of that stuff is being swept under the carpet,which is a really shame since there are elderly atomic bomb survivors that would never wish for a similar fate to happen to anyone else.

Reactions: thekeats1999

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
So it seems that the AC Shadows thing actually had an impact????

I'm not sure because of Google translate but at the same time it seems like games can no longer be enjoyed. I'm not even sure how history accurate AC even is (maybe some tid bits but that's it) and I'd imagine that there is a reason why even dating back to 2007 why they include a warning before you play the game about how the game is made by people of various backgrounds and faiths and in a way to cover their butts in case it is seen as offensive since it can be viewed that way. Is it accurate? I don't know I was not there doing those time periods and once again it's a scifi story where you are able to travel back in time because of your families DNA.

Basically it seems that the Yosuke information is incorrect and as a result the Japanese government is upset about it? Which I find funny considering how they themselves have basically rewriten their own history to make Japan look like less of a bad guy. There is a reason why even to this day there is negative sentiment for Japan, but a lot of younger people don't even know about it because textbook and stuff in class don't really teach the younger generation about it.

Also if seems that even after all of these years that Japan still has issues with "comfort women". Also in the thing they talk about how people that are Black living in Japan will claim to have heritage of Black slaves living in Japan and want compensation. This is strange and also I doubt they would even give money to any that makes claims, considering how they didn't even want to give money to atomic bomb victims. And how even some of that stuff is being swept under the carpet,which is a really shame since there are elderly atomic bomb survivors that would never wish for a similar fate to happen to anyone else.
My main issue is that Ubisoft itself is talking about historical accuracy a lot. Then when they need to bend it then they talk how it is fiction. And i personally don't have anything against Yasuke but i would prefer that they used native protagonist for both male and female.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

I've gotten a bit addicted to Sekiro. About ~35 of those hours are from 2019 when I first played it, but I've done two consecutive runs in the past week. After playing Elden Ring, I appreciate how smaller scale and laser focused Sekiro is. I also love the combat system and while it is a one trick pony, it's one hell of a pony.

I won't say it is From's best game, but it is their most consistent. Nearly every other Souls game (and Bloodborne) has at least one major thing in it I simply don't like while the worst thing I can say about Sekiro is that I don't like how some minibosses are rehashed.

Eh the ending is like 2% of a 120 hour game that is full of the highest quality stuff I've seen in games in an incredibly long time. It'll be my easiest choice for goty in probably 15 years. I still can't believe that game was real and came out in current times with how much budget has restricted what games can do.

Metaphor's one of the games I'm getting (thanks GMG price error) but I can't say I'm excited for it. It just looks like persona again but without the romance stuff and honestly it's frustrating that it still looks like a ps3 game after how much the last few persona games have sold. I'm not asking for Rebirth quality from atlus but they can afford to push things higher than ps3 tier.
By ending I meant final chapter, which is around the last 10%. I was loving it up until that point, but they completely botched THE scene. Nearly 6 months later and I"m still mad.

It must be hard to be dependent on AAA games. (Though I did greatly enjoy Shadow of the Erdtree, it was just as good as the base game IMO)

Anyway, I recently completed Rain World and it's easily one of the most unique, innovative and flat-out interesting games I've played in years. That said, I probably wouldn't have had the mindset necessary to fully enjoy it if I hadn't played it in coop.
I wouldn't say I'm dependent on AAA games. Some of the best games I've played this year are indie (Balatro) or lower budget (Unicorn Overlord). At the same time I also like my AAAslop.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

That update for the Flatout games was totally unexpected

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
My main issue is that Ubisoft itself is talking about historical accuracy a lot. Then when they need to bend it then they talk how it is fiction. And i personally don't have anything against Yasuke but i would prefer that they used native protagonist for both male and female.
Is it just with this game that Ubisoft is talking about how historically accurate it is? Or has this been something in more recent year, in general, where they have been saying that despite some of the scifi elements of AC that they try to make them as historically accurate as possible.

When it came to AC Unity from my understanding they did try to go make parts of it as historically accurate as possible since they are a French company. They are rebuilding that one church that burned down with information that Ubisoft has right?

I see what you mean about native protagonist but that's also why I feel that they should have used a different time period in Japan history. But then again what is assassin's creed even about any more and something something the Templar faction.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

I've gotten a bit addicted to Sekiro. About ~35 of those hours are from 2019 when I first played it, but I've done two consecutive runs in the past week. After playing Elden Ring, I appreciate how smaller scale and laser focused Sekiro is. I also love the combat system and while it is a one trick pony, it's one hell of a pony.

I won't say it is From's best game, but it is their most consistent. Nearly every other Souls game (and Bloodborne) has at least one major thing in it I simply don't like while the worst thing I can say about Sekiro is that I don't like how some minibosses are rehashed.

By ending I meant final chapter, which is around the last 10%. I was loving it up until that point, but they completely botched THE scene. Nearly 6 months later and I"m still mad.

I wouldn't say I'm dependent on AAA games. Some of the best games I've played this year are indie (Balatro) or lower budget (Unicorn Overlord). At the same time I also like my AAAslop.
500 games releases in general on all devices every week, 200 of them are mediocre and above, 100 of them are and good or above good.

That makes me barely have time for aaa slop anymore.

We are getting a new Limbo/Super Meat /Fez tier of indie every day nowadays.

Why use 150 hours in Rebirth where only 50 of those hours is worth anything notable when I can use those 150 hours of playing the one indie banger after the other?

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Its closest competition right now is a DLC that may not even get nominated and barring some out of left field surprise I don't see anything upcoming that's going to be a contender other than astrobot maybe. After nearly 7 months it's still the clear frontrunner.

Status
Not open for further replies.