Community MetaSteam | July 2024 - Summer arrived to Dawntrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Thanks everyone. I installed Octopath 2 and will give it a proper open minded chance as soon as I wrap up the unfortunately named, tad generic, but surprisingly decent, Immortals of Aveum.
I have a taste for something out of my usual wheelhouse.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Thanks everyone. I installed Octopath 2 and will give it a proper open minded chance as soon as I wrap up the unfortunately named, tad generic, but surprisingly decent, Immortals of Aveum.
I have a taste for something out of my usual wheelhouse.
I've heard a lot of praise for Octo 2.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

This was previously published by Epic Games, but the Steam version's publisher is Mythwright. Some quick Googling shows they are a new publisher on the scene with several ex-Epic employees. They're also publishing Going Medieval which was also distributed by The Irregular Corporation before its parent company (Mediatonic) got bought by Epic.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Alan Wake 2 on Steam will eventually happen, even if it takes awhile. I wouldn't expect it any time soon as it is EGP's biggest "success", but Epic will give Remedy publishing rights at some point and they'll self-publish it on Steam.

Yuno

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway
Piranha Bytes Closes. This Is The End Of The Studio That Created Gothic
The creators of Gothic had problems before, but – as CD-Action has learned – on the last day of June their over 20-year adventure in the industry ended.
:confounded-face:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
It's kinda hard to be too sad that Piranha Bytes is gone. I don't feel like they really ever evolved as a game studio. They kept making the same one game with updated engine. ELEX was incredibly weak and boring, and from what I'm hearing, Elex 2 was somehow even worse.

Maybe some people from the studio can start something new and actually work on something new.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Elex was good. Elex 2 was weak. I am not too surprised, Elex games did sell poorly, but it is still sad. Gothic 1 and 2 are classics.

At least we got Archolos: Chronicles of Myrtana, which is probably better than any Piranha game.

And maybe G1 remake will be good.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Elex was good. Elex 2 was weak. I am not too surprised, Elex games did sell poorly, but it is still sad. Gothic 1 and 2 are classics.

At least we got Archolos: Chronicles of Myrtana, which is probably better than any Piranha game.

And maybe G1 remake will be good.
I really did not like Elex. I did not hate it, but nothing in its world is really interesting. I still have some fond memories of Risen, but Risen 2 and 3 too felt to me directionless and mostly bad. I don't want to be mean, but starting from scratch and building up a new team around fresh ideas is not the worst thing that can happen to PB.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I'm out of town with my low powered work laptop. Haven't gamed in almost 20 days.
Seems I will have to put Steam on it finally.
OK
What are some good games that play great on KB/M that aren't demanding?
Any genre.
Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky plays great with mouse only controls. Just tested Doom 64 and it runs good.
EDIT - Downloading RE2 remake as a stress test.
EDIT2 - Intel Iris only has 128MB dedicated memory. Reading posts, it seems it takes 4GB out of 8GB from system RAM. Still RE2 remake ran like crap even with everything turn down. Looks like 2D games it is for me.

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I took part in Tokyo Otaku Modes photo contest and I was a runner up, so top 30 out of 200+ photos that were submitted. I just submitted 4 photos this time around.

Feels good man. Especially since taking pictures of toys is one of the reasons for why I got into photography.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Halls of Torment

As potato friendly as it gets, and can be played no issue with KB and mouse
Both added to list.

But for now, I started Great Ace Attorney Chronicles. Runs really well.
(also tried Call of Juarez Gunslinger. Runs very well. Seems Ps3/X360 powered games are this PC's limit)

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
OK
What are some good games that play great on KB/M that aren't demanding?
Any genre.
Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky plays great with mouse only controls. Just tested Doom 64 and it runs good.
EDIT - Downloading RE2 remake as a stress test.
EDIT2 - Intel Iris only has 128MB dedicated memory. Reading posts, it seems it takes 4GB out of 8GB from system RAM. Still RE2 remake ran like crap even with everything turn down. Looks like 2D games it is for me.
We put a lot of work into kb/m controls for our Crossbell ports, and they should run on almost everything.

Yuno

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway
The First Descendant seems decent. Warframe with a Korean flair.
Played it for 7 hours. Its just as grindy as Warframe but tbh id take grind over paywalls and stamina bs.

Reactions: lashman

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Honestly they lasted far longer than they probably should have and a lot of better studios bit the dust over the years. I know everyone fondly remembers gothic 2 but that was a lifetime ago at this point and their games only got worse from that. I played the first couple of risens and elex 1 and those games were not jank with ambitious systems or mechanics at play, they were just extremely janky. It wasn't like how obsidian games used to be where you had to deal with a lot of imperfections but underneath that you'd find the deepest role playing systems ever or one of the best dialogue systems ever...PB games didn't really bring anything to the table other than frustration.

Not that I'm dancing for joy at this news or anything, if anything I'm just surprised they lasted this long.

• Sad
Reactions: Mivey and lashman

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Both added to list.

But for now, I started Great Ace Attorney Chronicles. Runs really well.
(also tried Call of Juarez Gunslinger. Runs very well. Seems Ps3/X360 powered games are this PC's limit)

Make sure to apply the fanfix for even lower CPU requirements (and being able to play at more than 30 fps)

• Eyes
Reactions: MegaApple

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I wonder if more Hoyoverse will come to Steam at some point.
Seems like ZZZ is starting a bit slower than usual.

It might be a matter of style, it's anime as fuck but in weird 2000s style, some of it straight up Gurren Lagann and the soundtrack is not really what you expect from games like this...

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Unlikely, not impossible.
I don't follow the gacha scene that closely, but aren't Mihoyo's games combined doing like $4-6 billion a year? The entirety of Steam is probably doing ~$12 billion/year.

At this point they frankly don't need Steam. Maybe when their current slate of games are on their deathbeds and they want to squeeze out a bit of extra cash they might come to Steam, but that's years away.

• This!
Reactions: PC-tan and Mor

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Status
Not open for further replies.