Community MetaSteam | July 2024 - Summer arrived to Dawntrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
So I have played Octopath Traveler 2 for about 2-3 hours (went with Temenos).

What I like:

• the visuals are nice and cozy
  • the music is great, although the combat music gets repetetive
  • story setup (murder investigation) is not original, but it is pretty well written so far
  • it kinda plays well

What I dislike:

• SO MUCH RANDOM FILLER COMBAT
  • having to constantly press A after every line said, even during cutscenes
  • repetetive combat music

Honestly I am kind of unsure whether to continue, the filler combat where I can't walk few steps without fighting something drives me up the wall. And so far the only fight that was at least a little bit engaging was against the werewolf in the cathedral, but that thing had so much HP the fight actually dragged longer than I would like and became boring.

I guess the whole game is like this and if I do not love the combat, I might as well cut my losses and just listen to the soundtrack on youtube?

PhaZZe

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
What I dislike:

You have speed for battles
    you can press R1 and you have auto talk with 2 speeds
    the battle music change when enemies are more strong

Honestly I am kind of unsure whether to continue, the filler combat where I can't walk few steps without fighting something drives me up the wall. And so far the only fight that was at least a little bit engaging was against the werewolf in the cathedral, but that thing had so much HP the fight actually dragged longer than I would like and became boring.

I guess the whole game is like this and if I do not love the combat, I might as well cut my losses and just listen to the soundtrack on youtube?

You have 2 speeds for battles
    you can press R1 and you have auto talk with 2 speeds at least in cutscenes
    the battle music change when enemies are more strong
yeah the combat is very repetitive, still enjoyed my time, later you can have battles with 1 action but yeah, boss battles are hard, same with dungeons so be careful if you continue.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
If you ever get a chance I would recommend going to a video game concert, they are pretty cool. I went to a movie concert and it was not really what I was expecting. Live music is nice when you pair it with imagery but if you don't then it's kinda okay. Maybe not all of them are like this and maybe they only got the rights to show certain clips?

But yeah it was kinda lack luster. Also I never really thought of it before but there really isn't any official merch. Hollywood composers seem to have it rough. And maybe this is the reason why we only see video game concerts from big and well established video game composers that only work for 1 company or something to that extent.

---------------------------------------
The movie concert that I went to was for John Williams, he was not there to compose because of illness and when they played certain songs there was no images at all, so I was not really sure how to "feel". Songs in movie can make an impact on you but that's in big part because of the movie (the moving picture), if you take one part of the equation out then you are left with something rather lack luster.

If I have never watched a movie before and you play a song, then it's not going to do much for me but if you put images to that song, then it becomes more easily to pick up the emotion behind the song. This is one of the reasons why the Nier concert was not next level stuff. But that's because it was being done in the way of a movie. Which is what some movie theaters will actually do on special occasions where they will have a live music performance which I hear is amazing but it's very rare and you have to go to a large city where you might be able to experience this.

The Scott Pilgrim vs the World concert I went to had images and clips from the game so it was progressing with the music and you saw an ending and all. With SMT, it was not the original SMT band from Japan performing but you did get at least get a thing mentioned which game the song was from.

Anyway if I ever go to a Hanz Zimmer concert and they don't play the corn field song from Interstellar I will be very disappointed. People at the John Williams concert had Jurassic Park and Harry Potter stuff, but none of that music was played today.

Thank you for listening to my rant also if you irno video game music remember you can always stream it and in some cases you can still buy the CD for some video game music rather easily.

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Yoinked this from Reddit. They actually took a decent hit in 2019 when EGS was going all out.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Minecraft and Mohjang?

Feel like it could fit the redactions in terms of length and would make sense in context
Minecraft is now owned by Microsoft, so would be weird to describe it as a "small dev" and leave out the connection the Microsoft. I also don't see why it would be hard to explain why Minecraft did not care about Steam: at its heyday it was big enough to not needing Steam and hence no point in paying a commission to Valve. This sounds to me like a game that isn't quite as big or successful as Minecraft, where it's a bit strange for it to avoid Steam.

Reactions: yuraya

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Still incredible to me how big Minecraft has become, and how it will apparently never stop selling, just like Lego. My cousin was bothering me just yesterday about how to transfer Minecraft license from his account to his 6 year old son's account because he purchased it for his own by mistake.

He had to buy a second copy..

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Minecraft is now owned by Microsoft, so would be weird to describe it as a "small dev" and leave out the connection the Microsoft. I also don't see why it would be hard to explain why Minecraft did not care about Steam: at its heyday it was big enough to not needing Steam and hence no point in paying a commission to Valve. This sounds to me like a game that isn't quite as big or successful as Minecraft, where it's a bit strange for it to avoid Steam.
Yea I don't think any Valve employee would be gushing over an old game like that in a deposition.

Tho it does say "We tried so hard for so long" so maybe it is Minecraft. I'm thinking its more recent and early access or F2P. Maybe something like Tarkov.

ZKenir

Setting the Seas Ablaze
May 10, 2019
they aren't randomly gushing, they've been asked a direct question and answering on the topic of "who makes xxxx", also who "makes" not who publishes

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Court hearings aren't about giving honest answers, as such it could be a very counterproductive thing to admit to that

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Yoinked this from Reddit. They actually took a decent hit in 2019 when EGS was going all out.
EGS as they took big names that year (not that many after that) and new revenue share structure too (which took place at late 2018, so 2019 would be first year with new one entirely) then Covid boosted up everything

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Finished Life is Strange True Colors today. I enjoyed playing it and Alex is best protagonist for me so far (sorry Max and Chloe) but LiS1 still has the best overall story and twists. Game really had nice small mountain town atmosphere but kinda didn't use that setting much. And LiS1 still has best choices and consequences out of all games and especially compared to True Colors. Overall decent LiS game that is bit smaller in scope compared to previous games with great main character and mediocre main story.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
EGS as they took big names that year (not that many after that) and new revenue share structure too (which took place at late 2018, so 2019 would be first year with new one entirely) then Covid boosted up everything
I think EGS is irrelevant in all of this.

It kind of feels like Valve had a big abnormal spike in 17 and 18 thanks to PUBG and BR craze. Steam concurrent were haywire during that time too iirc.

If you skip those two years and just look at 16-->19 it looks like normal growth.

Afterwards it all blew up as Covid brought a lot of money to the industry in 2020.

Edit: looking at 2019 game releases it looks like biggest releases that year were Sekiro and RE2. Neither of which were on EGS so yea kind of a down year as a whole. So it was more like Steam coming back down to earth in 2019 and PUBG mobile took a lot of steam out of the PC version a year prior.

Last edited:
Reactions: ExistentialThought

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Supraworld (Supraland 2) could enter Early Access this fall

undu

Mar 17, 2019
Always remember this slide when you see someone going "Valve bad"
Yeah, that strategy reads the same as all the hit articles against valve that the Press was being spoonfed by epic back when their store released: any semblance with reality is a coincidence.

Thankfully Timmy doesn't have a magical reality-distorting field like Jobs.

Regarding Apple and Google's stores, they are monopolies and should be treated as such, maybe one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.