Community MetaSteam | June 2019 - Microsoft does what Epican't

Status
Not open for further replies.

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
we are, yes ... but this one might go to bnet instead ... since they seem to be inching towards "micro"transactions ...

Eww, wtf Activision :sick:

I should've finished Yakuza 0 by now, but no - I had to get addicted to real estate.
I did the same when I played it last year! Real estate? Finished it all of it. Cabaret? Just the tutorial :ROFLMAO:

Nope, can't get it to run. CTD just as the Radical Entertainment movie starts just after confirming a coup[e of things. Tried disabling Human Input devices, unplugging any flow through USB devices, downloaded some missing files that weren't missing, ran as administrator, ran all the compatibility modes etc... No luck.

Edit: Got it working, it's the CPU cores causing the issue. Even though my Ryzen 1700 has 8 cores, the 16 threads was causing issues. Had to turn off "cores" 8-15 in steam. Anything more than 8 cores and CTD.
Had to do the same to get Epic Mickey 2 to run during the Spring cleaning event. Tried every single possible solution I could find online but only this worked.

Yeah, you're definitely not alone.

I really don't see the appeal of DOTA at all. :shrugblob:

Give me a good single player game with a nice story, or a fast and quick arcade game (shmup, beat'em up, ...), and I'll give it a go any day of the week.

But these F2P, online multiplayer games are not for me. Especially since you get a lot of idiots antagonizing and insulting other users, and I really don't have the time, or patience, to deal with that.

And, I take a look at auto-chess, and I can't say it appeals to me either.

Weirdly, if it was actual chess, I may have given it a go (I used to play in chess tournaments when I was younger :giggle:).
Same here. The only game of this kind that grabbed me was Hearthstone, which I played daily for four years until I dropped it last winter due to its ridiculous business model. Sometimes I miss playing it on my phone when I'm outside but one thing I definitely don't miss is the constant compulsive sense of obligation it used to give me to finish the dailies. That and the amount of money I used to splurge on it. I'd rather spend them dineros on Steam to be honest :)

Pixieking

MetaMember
Dec 7, 2018
Kinda looks like Im the only one here who has yet to care about DOTA or auto-chess.
I just tried DU and... I don't see what the fuss is about? Its tutorial is shit, though - it definitely presupposes knowledge of auto-chess already, and there's a lack of tooltips or proper teaching about the game. Unless it really is just randomly place units wherever you feel like it and hope you win?

Meh. I'll give it another go later, but I've never seen the point of Tower Defence games, and this just seems like all the rest, just with added RNG.

Reactions: Guilty of Being

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I just tried DU and... I don't see what the fuss is about? Its tutorial is shit, though - it definitely presupposes knowledge of auto-chess already, and there's a lack of tooltips or proper teaching about the game. Unless it really is just randomly place units wherever you feel like it and hope you win?

Meh. I'll give it another go later, but I've never seen the point of Tower Defence games, and this just seems like all the rest, just with added RNG.
Both of the MOBAs that put out auto-chess modes have horrendous tutorializing, so that’s not shocking.

Reactions: Guilty of Being

Pixieking

MetaMember
Dec 7, 2018
As rough as it is now, I'd expect it to get better as they progress through Early Access. Especially if they're trying to be accessible to a wider audience on mobile.
Yeah, that's fair. I haven't tried the iOS version, but I expect if I had and it was the same "tutorial", I'd have just turned it straight off and gone back to reading or checking Twitter.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Okay, I finally played some Underlords on my laptop. I see why some of you think the tutorial sucks.

Neat game though, I'll give it a try again tomorrow maybe. I wish it ran properly on my phone, if it did, I'd be playing a bunch more.

Reactions: PossiblyPudding

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Nooo! I finally won a round of DU and it just dumped me back to the main menu without ever seeing the results screen. :cryblob:

Grifter level 5 now at least.
Did you level up at the same time? The level up overlay has an X in the top-right that you must click to see your results hidden behind it. If you just sit and wait it'll pop you out to the main screen. I got annoyed when it did that to me the first time I leveled up my rank, too.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Did you level up at the same time? The level up overlay has an X in the top-right that you must click to see your results hidden behind it. If you just sit and wait it'll pop you out to the main screen. I got annoyed when it did that to me the first time I leveled up my rank, too.
Yeah, I went from Grifter 4 to 5 but it skipped everything. I never even saw the rank up page. Had I not noticed the rank change I would have thought I missed out on the win completely.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018

I won 3 in a row! :heroblob:

I'd tried out 9 warriors earlier today against bots while at work and found it could be pretty effective if you had them all protecting one damage dealer. I did it with KotL in the end game when I tried it out, but Drow worked really well too. I box the damage dealer in against in the corner and have one or two body guards behind them for any assassins. If they jump onto the warriors they can be killed pretty quickly while dealing little damage against the heavily armored body guards.

The biggest thing I've learned is that making sure you get to 50 gold as soon as you can so you can have start earning as much interest as possible, even if it means you're losing a bunch at the beginning. The gold from interest is more than and way more reliable than the gold from winning streaks. Until I get to 50 I don't use re-rolls or spend to level up and only spend to buy heroes that will help my build. If I win that's great, but if I don't it's not something I worry about. You can save up and spend down to 50 on most rounds then while you also have the flexibility to spend a bunch of money on levels an re-rolls when you really do need it.

This is where I was sitting mid-way through the match, and it had been worse in the earlier rounds when I was in last place with 49 health. The players who spent a bunch early to get out ahead fell off quickly in the later rounds.

Last edited:

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
The biggest thing I've learned is that making sure you get to 50 gold as soon as you can so you can have start earning as much interest as possible, even if it means you're losing a bunch at the beginning. The gold from interest is more than and way more reliable than the gold from winning streaks. Until I get to 50 I don't use re-rolls or spend to level up and only spend to buy heroes that will help my build. If I win that's great, but if I don't it's not something I worry about. You can save up and spend down to 50 on most rounds then while you also have the flexibility to spend a bunch of money on levels an re-rolls when you really do need it.
This is a pretty solid method to generally do well. It will at least raise your percentage of landing in the top half. I do this every game now and I always get to level 10 before anyone else. I rarely do rerolls before hitting level 10 unless I'm really doing poorly and I need to quickly keep myself from losing completely. But with so much money stocked up if things get real shitty you have so much for rerolls and buying units you can beef up real fast and at least ensure you won't get knocked out and can hold on to place higher.

Edit: Sampson Do you just go by Sampson on Steam? I just realized I played against someone just named Sampson tonight. Pretty sure they did well in that game and I did fairly poorly? I wish the game already had a history built in to look back at the match.

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
A couple things in interest in Underlords that can be important:

First is that you get 1 gold for every 10 you have and it caps at 50 so you're free to spend down to that amount.

Second is something Tart Toter 9k pointed out to me, interest is calculated from the amount you have when combat begins, not when the round ends like you might think. Since you can still buy during combat this means that if you're close to dropping down your interest amount and want to buy something that you don't necessarily need that round you can wait until combat starts to buy, level up, or do some rerolls you can wait until combat starts to spend and still get your full interest income.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Reactions: lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, I went from Grifter 4 to 5 but it skipped everything. I never even saw the rank up page. Had I not noticed the rank change I would have thought I missed out on the win completely.
I had the same thing happen. The only bug I experienced in the game so far, and of course it takes away my victory screen :p

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Hey anybody use that raspberry pi computer thingy? I want one but have no clue what I would use it for.

I have two raspberry pis. One for movie watching and one for retro gaming

Just read an article about the new rpi. As it is now the many software need to update in order to work with the new version (especially RetroPie, which I use for retro gaming). And the also hardware wise most peripherals aren't compatible with it as it has replaced the full sized hdmi connector with two micro hdmi connectors

I have RetroFlag's SNES case, so it won't be compatible with v4 unless I do some tinkering myself

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yakuza 3 remaster when ? Ffs.
I only played 1 back in the days and have been waiting for years that Sega makes the third available again. I’m not against buying physical, but for some reason I refuse to hunt down a fucking PS3 disc.

Yeah, I like the new character, yeah, but could you please rerelease 3 ? :negative-blob:

FunnyJay