Community MetaSteam | June 2020 - Month Of The Seal, With Many A Deal, Throw Money With Zeal, The Wallet Will Kneel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Who asked for this???? Does anyone actually like the Game Gear???? I am so baffled by Sega's decision
Nostalgia is a helluva drug. I should know. I spent $50 for a limited edition copy of Sakura Taisen, -- a 25 years old game -- some months ago. Still, I'm not silly enough to pay for a mini-console when a PC will do the job just as well (if not better).

Why not try to dig deep and to get the distribution rights organised for their back-catalogue (which is still a whole lot) available on PC? There's a reason why SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics still selling like hotcakes even when there's no sale. The reason eludes me to this day.

Reactions: dummmyy

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
I think everybody is missing the point that this tiny Game Gear is supposed to be a collectable that happens to be playable, just like those tiny arcade keychains and most likely will only be released in Japan.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Is there a good ps1 style graphics game on steam? I know about the Haunted PS1 Demo Disc a while back but is there anything out on steam that's good/decent?
Whatever you do, don't get Grandia HD. It's not exclusively a PSX game since the original is a Saturn game, but Grandia is actually a great game which unfortunately have a terrible port. Unremovable bilinear filtering, missing sprites, errors in localisations, etc. I know there's a recent update for it, but I'm unsure if that fixes the outstanding issues.

Reactions: dummmyy

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Have I missed something about Fanatical's Bento bundles? The two first Bento bundles feature games from Asia or at least look like anime games. But this latest one has three games that doesn't look so anime. Or is furry action also classified as anime?

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.

Chances are they're going to have the internal resolution locked again to 1080p like the past 3 or so iffy games. :dana_tense:

Reactions: PC-tan

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
During the first year of Epic exclusivity deals there was some ambiguity about whether releasing on Steam a year late would harm sales/revenues of the delayed game. Now, after about half a year of exclusive games releasing on Steam, the Steam community has proved that there is absolutely no downside to releasing the game late on Steam. People will flock to buy the games they were always going to buy (like Hades or the upcoming Satisfactory). Games that were never going to sell well (like that sci fi roguelike FPS, forgot the name, or Ashen) will not. In either case, going exclusive with EGS is proving to be the objectively correct move. Even people on this forum buy former Epic exclusives the moment they appear on Steam and then some gloat about how they only paid half price for it... as if Tim Sweeney hasn't already given the publisher half a million times more money than that one half of one full retail copy price that you didn't pay.

Any publisher or developer that is offered the Epic exclusivity deal should take it without a shadow of a doubt. The Steam community has proved this for the market.

Epic has also learned that customers can be bought for very cheap. All it takes for gamers to forget that Epic is paying publishers to keep games away from Steam or to even ignore the undercooked, featureless service that Epic provides is one single ten dollar coupon. That's all. This is how they are continuing to grow their store. Remember that time Intel got caught essentially paying off hardware OEMs to not use AMD chips? Gamers were like "OMG! how anti consumer of them!". But when it comes to Epic paying off publishers not to sell their stuff on Steam, it's more like "Pardon me sir, could you tell me what next week's free game is?"

In case there's still any doubt, Epic will never stop moneyhatting exclusives. People are under this illusion that "Oh eventually they'll have to stop and things will go back to normal" but why would they? This is proving to be an extremely successful strategy for them and the more customers they draw, the more it amortizes the cost of exclusivity. They will continue to pick and choose the biggest and best games and do these deals forever. Speaking of Sega, can you imagine just how many new customers EGS will get if they pay to have the next Football Manager exclusively on their store? The only reason Sega might not do that is because a year later they will have another entry so they won't get any money from Steam for it, but for Epic it would be worth it to get hundreds of thousands of FM fans. Sega wouldn't lose a thing. In fact, if it scales up enough, you might even start to see publishers voluntarily go exclusive with Epic just for the higher cut.

Paid store exclusivity is the future that PC gamers have chosen for themselves.
I strongly disagree with pretty much every point you raised. I don't think that this is an accurate reading of events relating to EGS or customer behavior and I will explain my own point of view.

Customers waiting out the exclusivity period and then buying a game on Steam is the best possible outcome because it is impossible to spin. Had EGS exclusives flopped on Steam, journalists and gamers with a pro-EGS agenda would either be arguing that "see, everyone that wanted the game already bought it on EGS, people care about games not platforms" or "the game was going to flop on Steam too, the developers made the right choice in taking the money". Customers voting with their wallets and making a statement that "I want the game but not on EGS" sends a crystal clear message to everyone involved that the audience has rejected Epic's platform.

Customers and users (these two groups are not the same thing) redeeming free games or buying them at rock-bottom prices doesn't show that customers can be bought for cheap. It shows that Epic has no other way of drawing in customers and users other than giving away games and heavily subsidizing sales. It shows that customers assign less value to EGS games and are only willing to buy when they are either free or heavily discounted. Epic's giveaways and fire sales are proving the store's utter failure at pulling in customers.

Epic will absolutely stop buying exclusives and there is zero indication so far that this strategy has been a success. No company will keep throwing good money after bad ad infinitum and the exclusives they have secured during the second year of the store's operation are without a doubt a tier below the first-year ones. The reason Epic is so aggressive with its giveaways is because our pal Tim is desperate to break into the digital distribution market before the Fortnite gravy train starts declining and he is failing so far.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018

Chances are they're going to have the internal resolution locked again to 1080p like the past 3 or so iffy games. :dana_tense:
I suppose it is to be read as "Death and Request"?

One visual novel ass title

• Toucan
Reactions: Kvik

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Epic will absolutely stop buying exclusives and there is zero indication so far that this strategy has been a success. No company will keep throwing good money after bad ad infinitum and the exclusives they have secured during the second year of the store's operation are without a doubt a tier below the first-year ones. The reason Epic is so aggressive with its giveaways is because our pal Tim is desperate to break into the digital distribution market before the Fortnite gravy train starts declining and he is failing so far.
I agree that this will eventually be happening. But given their huge war chest, and what kind of petty asshole Tim Sweeney has proven himself to be, he'll likely continue the exclusivity BS for years to come before admitting that it's a waste of money

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Valve added profile themes, can be enabled with css trickery. This is "Cosmic Theme".

This is really cool, although they could have gone for some texturing here and there in order to give it some depth.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I agree that this will eventually be happening. But given their huge war chest, and what kind of petty asshole Tim Sweeney has proven himself to be, he'll likely continue the exclusivity BS for years to come before admitting that it's a waste of money
He may be a petty asshole (he certainly comes off that way) but I believe that at some point the rest of the shareholders at Epic will reign the spending in, even if he is dead set on continuing his dumb plan. Or he'll eventually realize that he can catch more flies with honey. Either way, I don't expect this strategy to continue for long.

Reactions: lashman and Swenhir

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Some big curator groups prefer not to tick the box that they received the game for free.

To the "ignore" list, it goes.

Reactions: Li Kao

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Speaking of games, satisfactory added steam cloud saves and cross-platform MP, things getting ready for the release.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I'm sad that Paris seems to get cold again, tomorrow wont even go over 20 Celsius.

I would kill to have that temperature as a "cold" temperature.

Alas I am from Cardiff, the one of the windiest and the wettest city in Britain, already a windy and wet island. We're lucky if it gets to 18c in summer, though it's been very warm this week which is nice.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Have I missed something about Fanatical's Bento bundles? The two first Bento bundles feature games from Asia or at least look like anime games. But this latest one has three games that doesn't look so anime. Or is furry action also classified as anime?
Cat Quest is definitely not anime, but I guess it passes because "colorful 2D artstyle", Shiness definitely passes as anime and Ninja Shodown I guess because Rising Star Games is the publisher and they publish some japanese stuff in the west.
It's definitely the weakest out of the Bento bundles though, the previous 2 were really good.

It's pretty much almost all rebundles:
  • Arcana Heart 3 was in the Ark System Works bundle
  • The 2 Xblaze games were in the Aksys Games bundle (and they aren't that great tbh)
  • Cat Quest was in a Humble RPG bundle, but it's the first time on Fanatical I guess
  • Chaos Code and Dead or School were in an Anime Pick and Mix in april - though a lot more expensive
  • Shiness was in a Humble Monthly and also a Pick and Mix in March
  • Ninja Shodown is technically the only really really new one.

Ngl, was disappointed, because the Bento Bundle 2 was legit amazing (and the first one was pretty good too for me at least). :confounded-face:

Reactions: Deku

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Cat Quest is definitely not anime, but I guess it passes because "colorful 2D artstyle", Shiness definitely passes as anime and Ninja Shodown I guess because Rising Star Games is the publisher and they publish some japanese stuff in the west.
It's definitely the weakest out of the Bento bundles though, the previous 2 were really good.

It's pretty much almost all rebundles:
  • Arcana Heart 3 was in the Ark System Works bundle
  • The 2 Xblaze games were in the Aksys Games bundle (and they aren't that great tbh)
  • Cat Quest was in a Humble RPG bundle, but it's the first time on Fanatical I guess
  • Chaos Code and Dead or School were in an Anime Pick and Mix in april - though a lot more expensive
  • Shiness was in a Humble Monthly and also a Pick and Mix in March
  • Ninja Shodown is technically the only really really new one.

Ngl, was disappointed, because the Bento Bundle 2 was legit amazing (and the first one was pretty good too for me at least). :confounded-face:
I hope Fanatical will come up with better bundles (at least for me). So far this and Kingslayer bundles aren't for me

Reactions: Ascheroth

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
Yeah, its will be interesting. I bought TF2 for 180 rubles ($2,6) on origin sale and will laugh my ass off if EA will increase price like they did with older steam titles.

Reactions: lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I hope Fanatical will come up with better bundles (at least for me). So far this and Kingslayer bundles aren't for me
Yep same.
Usually there's at least one bundle that appeals to me in their Bundlefests so fingers crossed! 🤞
And if not there's still Hamble on Friday :p

Anyone any guesses what games there will be in the Choice?
(Probably a combination of some Game Pass stuff + maybe some previous Epic freebies + something else)

Status
Not open for further replies.