Community MetaSteam | June 2022 - It's Hot Outside! Sit and Play Some Videogames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I dont understand why everyone seems to think monkey island looks like shit when the last monkey island was the horrendous "well 3d just came out so lets make shit 3d now" era.
I think considering they got together people that like collectively haven't worked together in 20 years I'd say it's impressive we're getting anything

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Their "Inzone" monitor offerings are absolutely ridiculously priced for what you get.
Apparently they expect those influencer product placements to do y lot of work.
So 800$ for 4K with FALD and 144Hz at 27 inch (so pretty decent DPI for gaming monitors, at ~160). At DisplayHDR™ 600 it also seems to be at least ok at HDR too. Short of having OLED, this thing seems to tick pretty much all boxes.

Is that really a bad deal in 2022? I haven't looked into monitors since late 2019, when I got my current one. But back then there was no chance of getting 4K and a FALD monitor with HDR and higher framerates under like 2000 or 3000 $.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I dont understand why everyone seems to think monkey island looks like shit when the last monkey island was the horrendous "well 3d just came out so lets make shit 3d now" era.
I think considering they got together people that like collectively haven't worked together in 20 years I'd say it's impressive we're getting anything
The fact that I was served feces the last time I ordered from a restaurant doesn't mean I have to be happy I was served vomit this time around.

But in the end it's the writing that will make or break this game and I'm still excited for it.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Regarding Disgaea 6, I can't say that I agree with the pricing, but at least it's the best Disgaea PC version so far, easily.

See this review for details: Steam Community :: KingKrouch :: Review for Disgaea 6 Complete

In short it has full resolutions / framerate variability, ultrawide support, all kinds of button prompts, and built-in supersampling.

So 800$ for 4K with FALD and 144Hz at 27 inch (so pretty decent DPI for gaming monitors, at ~160). At DisplayHDR™ 600 it also seems to be at least ok at HDR too. Short of having OLED, this thing seems to tick pretty much all boxes.
If it really was "FALD" in the way it's usually understood on the monitor space (as in, ~500 zones+) it would be a good deal. But it's 96 zones, and with IPS (so terrible native contrast). So yeah, it's not really ok at HDR.

I feel like the value proposition in the HDR monitor space has shifted a bit (after being stagnant for a while) with the pricing on the QD OLEDs and the new 1440p FALD HDR panel options. Before that, it wouldn't have been a bad deal.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
It's only 1440p, but my 27inch Dells do HDR and Local dimming at 165hz for $400, probably lower now since these are 2021 models. Also have G-sync and Freesync certification.

It doesn't have any of that garish gamer look... (Dell has Alienware branch for that) but yeah.

$900 does seem a bit steep... Kinda expected though. Sony does the same in the TV market. Could probably lower the price a bit if they ditched the speakers. Who the fudge wants to use monitor speakers in 2022??

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

Honestly I do feel like Sony could have been a big player in the PC gaming scene seeing how unlike other companies they also make consumer electronics. Nintendo doesn't really do that and mainly just makes game consoles and some accessories, MS is still relatively new and it has only been in the last 10 years that they have started to make consumer electronics (non enterprise stuff) that are not game consoles.

They sold off Vaio years ago when they saw the rise of tablets and thought it would be better off to sell it's computer division and focus on their mobile division instead.... And we'll that didn't work out that well. They make some cool mobile tech but people don't really buy it and year after years their mobile sales keep dropping.

In the last 6 years we have seen a rise in computer sales, we have even seen an increase in schools buying computers (this both has to do with the pandemic but also with how education has changed over the years with tech being introduced more over the years.

When it comes to say PC gaming they could have been a big player and this could have also helped their PlayStation division as well. In a way PC is more of the experimental area where new stuff is tested and some of it sticks and/ evolves and other stuff does not. A gamepad is not going to cost you more than $70 USD unless you go for the "pro" controllers and even those max at at around $200-250. Meanwhile my Logitech G815 alone cost $200 (I think it got it on sale?).

You have other companies like Asus,MSI that have taken the spot that Sony could have taken a part of and just choose not to.

What's even crazier is that we could have lived in a reality where Sony makes GPUs!!!!!!!!!!

I just think it's crazy is all with how huge of a growth stuff like eSports have had and all Sony has had is PlayStation and outside of FGC stuff most of the top tier 1 eSports stuff has been on PC where Sony is not making money off consumer electronics being sold.

There is a lot more I want to say but I'm sure that you guys get the idea by now of how they could have actually made some great products that I'm sure people would have been glad to have purchased, and like they said they have years to catch up because it's one thing to make electronics but it's another thing to understand the needs of your new target audience. Hell the PS5 doesn't even have 1440p support!!!!!

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
If it really was "FALD" in the way it's usually understood on the monitor space (as in, ~500 zones+) it would be a good deal. But it's 96 zones, and with IPS (so terrible native contrast). So yeah, it's not really ok at HDR.

I feel like the value proposition in the HDR monitor space has shifted a bit (after being stagnant for a while) with the pricing on the QD OLEDs and the new 1440p FALD HDR panel options. Before that, it wouldn't have been a bad deal.
It's just 96? I was looking for the number of zones, and couldn't find anything. Didn't expect it to be quiet so low, honestly. That is kinda disappointing. The new QD-LED monitor from Alienware was surprisingly cheap, so it does seem like something is happening on that front recently. The terminology does always throw a me a bit. From what I understand a FALD with a decent number of zones is basically the same tech as mini-LED, right? It seems then that mini-LED and QLED monitors are starting to become a lot more affordable recently.

• Eyes

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It's just 96? I was looking for the number of zones, and couldn't find anything. Didn't expect it to be quiet so low, honestly. That is kinda disappointing. The new QD-LED monitor from Alienware was surprisingly cheap, so it does seem like something is happening on that front recently. The terminology does always throw a me a bit. From what I understand a FALD with a decent number of zones is basically the same tech as mini-LED, right? It seems then that mini-LED and QLED monitors are starting to become a lot more affordable recently.
Yeah, mini-led is basically just a technology for building FALD backlights. So just "mini-led" doesn't say al that much about the quality -- there are monitors / planed panels with mini-led backlights all the way from ~200 zones to 2000+ zones.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
Wait that cygames game released yesterday, I didn’t notice the date was 28th of june

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I really hope Sega/Atlus adds the Store Page for P5R soon.

I know it won’t actually make a difference to when I get the game on Steam, but I want to wishlist it and have it ready to rock the second it releases.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I really hope Sega/Atlus adds the Store Page for P5R soon.

I know it won’t actually make a difference to when I get the game on Steam, but I want to wishlist it and have it ready to rock the second it releases.

The store page could be going up today. The price will be 7,678 JPY so you're probably looking at a full $60 release (alongside terrible regional pricing). It looks like all versions of the game might get all the DLC though? I know I posted about the Xbox and Windows Store versions getting all the DLC a few days ago.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

Modern-day Atari (lol) is a hot mess, but if you were lucky enough to experience the gaming landscape pre-NES, their legacy is pretty untouchable.

Along with countless other 2600 memories, the one I'll never forget is playing my very first multi-screen, open world game in the form of Superman back in '78.

Being able to move the man of steel from one screen to the next was a first for the time (this was a year or two before Adventure) and it absolutely blew my mind.

So I'll always have a soft spot for their vintage output regardless of whatever the heck they're about today.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Still a bit miffed they never released Star Ocean 5 on Steam.
Good moment to remind everyone about this amazing interaction:
FFDream: "Are there any plans to port Star Ocean 5 to PC?"

Kobayashi: “Since the game is full of action, I wonder the ideal commands for PC might be… What’s the best way to play it, in your opinion?”

FFWorld: “With a game pad?”

Kobayashi: “Are people used to playing on PC with a game pad in Europe?”

FFWorld and FFDream: “Yes.”
Square Enix considering Star Ocean 5 PC port - Gematsu

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Talking about Squeenix, they've been working on something for all of the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters, other than the most recent ones (5 and 6), the others haven't had a public update in 9 months, but the beta branches for all the games have been getting updates recently.

I'm guessing it's probably just bug fixes that affect all of the pixel remasters, but still, for all of them to be getting beta updates, I wonder.

• Eyes

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
It's only 1440p, but my 27inch Dells do HDR and Local dimming at 165hz for $400, probably lower now since these are 2021 models. Also have G-sync and Freesync certification.

It doesn't have any of that garish gamer look... (Dell has Alienware branch for that) but yeah.

$900 does seem a bit steep... Kinda expected though. Sony does the same in the TV market. Could probably lower the price a bit if they ditched the speakers. Who the fudge wants to use monitor speakers in 2022??
I think I know which Dell monitor you're talking about because I have the same monitor (S2721DGF) and while I think it is a great monitor, this monitor has only like 10 local dimming zones, which makes them useless and the HDR is only HDR400 which should not count as HDR as it just basically boosts brightness and is used for marketing purposes. Rtings scored this monitor 1.0 for its local dimming and 6.6 for HDR performance.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
when you say "the last monkey island", which one do you mean? because going by your description, that would be Escape from Monkey Island (2000), however, there was also Tales of Monkey Island (2009), and the special editions of The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2 (which also had divisive art styles, especially the first).
Escape didnt look great, yeah. but I also just in general didnt like that game very much, and in turn, never really played Tales (even tho that was a different team...again). The episodic format didnt help.

Basically, Monkey Island has always been a shapeshifter of sorts. Different art styles and different teams on basically all eras. In my opinion, the first three games had very cool art direction(s). (Curse of Monkey Island's art was vastly different but great in its own right) Escape and Tales kinda sorta went for the Curse-artstyle, just in 3D, and with unique twists, of course.

A huge problem I see with the current discussion about the art direction of Return is "its not pixel art, but we didnt want it to be". (Ron Giilberts statement adlibbed) and the accusation that criticism towards the art style are because its not the same pixel count as Monkey 1.

I think thats really (not to say completely) missing the point. Sure, some people like pixel art games, but hardly a majority. I personally always just want a cool art style / aestethic that appeals to me. Resolution is secondary, although some styles look better in low-res, some better in high-res.

Monkey Island as a series was always as "high-res" as the machines of the time would let it be. Just look at the close-ups in Monkey 1, or the hand drawn backgrounds in Monkey 2 (I linked them in a previous post). They tried to push the tech. Nowadays they have almost limitless possibilities, but you cant really push the tech with a hand-drawn style...so if you wanna stand out, you need a "unique" style, and I believe thats what they went for. Or maybe, Ron Gilbert just really likes this style.

Well, I personally dont like the art style in Return because it just does not appeal to me, at all.

The same art director as on Return also did Knights and Bikes, and I didnt like that art style there, either. Some people say it reminds them of Broken Age ...
I didnt like that art style either.

It might be difficult to understand this if you personally dont care a lot about art direction/styles or have no strong (dis)taste. (For very similar reasons, I cannot stand anime, btw.)

If an art style of a game – any game – is completely unappealing, simply for reasons of personal taste, my interest in that game will be hugely diminished. If somebody says its amazing, I'll give it another look, but I'd also argue that there are a ton of games, films, etc to spend time with, so.... why not spend it with something I like as a whole? I hope that Return will make up for the art style with its story, puzzles and gameplay.

But yeah, it did not win me over with its art, and I think its a bit of shame, and I say this without nostalgia, or wanting pixel art, or any of the arguments that I've heard trying to diminish/counter criticism of the art style. Its just about taste. Nothing else. :)

Modern-day Atari (lol) is a hot mess, but if you were lucky enough to experience the gaming landscape pre-NES, their legacy is pretty untouchable.

Along with countless other 2600 memories, the one I'll never forget is playing my very first multi-screen, open world game in the form of Superman back in '78.

Being able to move the man of steel from one screen to the next was a first for the time (this was a year or two before Adventure) and it absolutely blew my mind.

So I'll always have a soft spot for their vintage output regardless of whatever the heck they're about today.
"Atari" today is a completely unrelated company, so, yeah, no wonder ;) Its kinda gross how some companies just use old names to cash in on nostalgia. But, maybe that collection will turn out okay, we'll see.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
So turns out there is another reason for Spellbreak to be shutdown outside of EGS.

The Studio, Proleteriat, has been bought by Activisions/Blizzard to work on WoW and Diablo.

Ah, so there’s the real reason. Game not doing amazing due in no small part to poor management decisions, so said managers sell to ActiBlizz, cash out and send their staff into the WoW mines where they will be worked like slaves to produce bland 2004-era content.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Rumor has it Mass Effect : Andromeda could be part of next Humble Choice. If the rumor becomes certain I expect it to be another rotten orange key.
They're still trying to get me to sign up for their 3 months deal. Not going to happen until they run out of Origin keys, and they prove they can put out a month I care about.

Unfortunately, they have a lot left to go through. Twitch Gaming basically had Origin games for months and months.

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
Just another launcher...

I'm actually enjoying more preparing my oldie games on Steam than playing them, it's like a game make them work, and customizing the profile with art, logo and background.
I've actually created a AutoHotkey script to exit games with gamepad without need to touch the keyboard ^^.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.