Community MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Any kind people with a countdown to old bitch presents ads (and some games on the side) ?

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Any kind people with a countdown to old bitch presents ads (and some games on the side) ?
we've got a thread for that (and the chat is enabled for the streams too!)

:)

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Watching the latest ff16 dungeon footage on IGN and it makes me think of an increasingly common issue I see in games. It feels like a new trend during combat is to overload your senses with a bunch of shit on screen whether it's particle effects, fast overdone animations (like say a sword slashing a hundred times in 1.5 seconds) or just having all the enemies on screen launch attacks with effects at the same time. There was probably a time I would have thought this looked cool when I was younger but now it's just annoying. How can I think something looks cool when I literally can't see what's going on?

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Back in the late 00's, I used to read Rock Paper Shotgun every day, and I remember that they often linked to really cool indie freeware games.
It saddens me that some of these really cool games are lost in hazy memories, and probably pretty much impossible to find today (I mean, first you have to figure out what their names were...).

Today, you are so spoilt by having everything neatly organized in a Steam/GOG/etc library, so you can easily find that game you played 15 years ago. But that one weird indie game that you downloaded as a zip directly from a developer website? Yeah.... What was that called again?
I dunno how far back the RPS article archive goes, but maybe you could still find that? If its not online there, try the Internet Archive --> Rock, Paper, Shotgun: PC Gaming’s Beadiest Eyes (here it is in 2007)
that way you could maybe at least find some titles?

Even with Steam I still have problem to find that one game that I bought from a bundle last month :(
I had to make good use of the hide function just to give my library a semblance of order.
Yeah I know what you mean, sometimes I randomly think of some game I played sometime/ages ago and then have troubles remembering what it was.
but the same thing can happen with music and other stuff, where a glimpse of something enters memory and then drives me half-insane trying to figure out what it is.
and just yesterday I re-listened to a bunch of music I made in my 20s and was surprised how many songs I'd forgotten.

even worse however, is forgetting people, or losing contact with people online that you used to chat with and are now just .... gone, without a hint of how to contact them

oof that went into a weird territory quickly D:

__

edit:

FunnyJay
it seems the RPS archive is still all online, there is even a "free games" category; Free games (Page 156)
here is the oldest stuff from 2007 still there :)
the rest, the "normal" articles are to be found here July 2007 Archive or just by going to the oldest page Latest Articles

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Back in the late 00's, I used to read Rock Paper Shotgun every day, and I remember that they often linked to really cool indie freeware games.
It saddens me that some of these really cool games are lost in hazy memories, and probably pretty much impossible to find today (I mean, first you have to figure out what their names were...).

Today, you are so spoilt by having everything neatly organized in a Steam/GOG/etc library, so you can easily find that game you played 15 years ago. But that one weird indie game that you downloaded as a zip directly from a developer website? Yeah.... What was that called again?
Newsgrounds was a site where people could upload their flash games. For example the amazing fan-game to The Room film is still there and works on modern browses: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/547307
Poor Kirju, just can't enjoy his well-earned retirement.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Any place to buy these sticks yet, or will I be trudging AliExpress in a few weeks?

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Edit: Also, CP2077 expac straight into my veins, i'm soooo ready to finish it. Despite the launch hiccups and years of fixing, It's a great game overall and i hope they make a sequel...
It is in (extremely early) preproduction, I would not expect it for another 4-5 years, but I do think it will happen. CDP is building new studio for it in US.
Cc @Durante
That tweet thread is very interesting, would like to read Durante's take on it for sure.
It is kinda funny/sad how Mantle/Vulkan/DX12 were supposed to save us from terrible problems of DX11 and bring us "closer to metal" console-style and the end result is exchanging one set of problems for another.
And ironically, Cyberpunk 2077 is probably the best optimized DX12 game ever.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Contrary to everything else in my life right now, I'm delighted to say System Shock Remake is perfect and a breath of fresh air in today's gaming landscape, which is ironic considering it's (original) age but great game design is eternal and will be forever be great. I still think SS2 is the superior game but SS does everything almost as perfectly.
Now the 15 year wait for SS3 begins...

PS: Can someone remaster Ultima Underworld already?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Video of Whoopi Goldberg asking Blizzard to release Diablo 4 on Mac.

Speaking of Diablo 4 I was lucky enough to buy it off a friend for half off since he got a 4070ti recently. Been having fun playing as a rouge.
Wouldn't this Proton-like solution that Apple presented already make this possible?

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
Wouldn't this Proton-like solution that Apple presented already make this possible?
I was thinking the same thing but I am not too familiar on how to setup that up. I am not sure if it's a complex process.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I was thinking the same thing but I am not too familiar on how to setup that up. I am not sure if it's a complex process.

yep apparently

__

Friday the 13th will be delisted by the end of the year, and then switched off by the end of 2024

never played it or had any interest in it (not my kind of game) but its a shame we now live in a time where game preservation is so bad.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Are ye ready for Geofffest 2023 aye?
We got a groupchat yet going, nay?
Are ye ready for Geofffest 2023 aye?
We got a groupchat yet going, nay?
There is!!

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yeah, get your butts in here, everyone

we've got chat going on as well (at the bottom of the screen, if you can't find it, lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.