Community MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Just let it cook. Sure some textures look rough, but it's still in development for a while yet. Let's see how it shapes up closer to release. And let's wait for PC version. Who knows, maybe some 16xAF will really help.

Broke down and got an Elite 2 Core controller
Let us know how it works out after a bit. Don't people keep complaining how these Elite 2 controllers have QA/lasting issues?
😓

Last edited:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Just let it cook. Sure some textures look rough, but it's still in development for a while yet. Let's see how it shapes up closer to release. And let's wait for PC version. Who knows, maybe some 16xAF will really help.

Let us know how it works out after a bit. Don't people keep complaining how these Elite 2 controllers have QA/lasting issues?
😓
I've been buying Joycons for years I'll survive :p

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
the statement from embracer on LOTR becoming the biggest franchise is what I view Warhammer as with gamesworkshop before THQ had coronary (ironic since embracer looted their corpse) and is just going to go "Fuck it" and ask everyone under the sun if they want to make a LOTR game and if they say yes and give them lots of money for the license or whatever theyll get to do it and some will probably be absolute shit but some will be great probably

Just like the warhammer games that just absolutely flooded everywhere

• This!
Reactions: Stevey and lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Unacceptable? Really? Even ignoring the fact that the game looks pretty decent, since when is that the only metric that defines if a game is worth full price? Sorry but that last sentence is just hilarious. You've never seen a worse looking full price game? Ok then.
I don't think that graphics fidelity should define pricing, but that said, that particular screenshot really is extremely bad in some aspects. Those wall and floor textures would feel at home on a low-cost, early PS3 game at the latest, and that's a good 15 years ago.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
That is some insane requirements for sure. In the base game, RT Overdrive is costly, even with a 4090 plus DLSS framegen. Who knows what else the expansion will bring.

• This!
Reactions: 「Echo」

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Edit:

P5T is coming to Steam as well, to the surprise of no one.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Metaphor is still showing only Xbox and Windows. Hopefully Atlus is just being a bit slow.

Also

This may confirm Akechi and Sumire will be Tactica DLC. Tactica is supposed to take place after Royal and Strikers so if Atlus doesn't care about restrictions for Royal's story, it's safe to say certain characters could show up.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I hope you got one that , you know, works. I had two that have issues with LB and the "B" button not reliably registering. The third one can't charge, at all. USB-C port seems broken.

The shop I bought it from agreed to refund me and I got the "Core" black/white version and it works fine.....for now.

Meanwhile my previous Xbox One and even my current Series controller work as they should.
Is it fixed now?
Always ran fine for me but I have 32gb of RAM, 16gb of VRAM and a 32gb pagefile.
The 7800x3D is doing its work too.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

Please stop Todd.

The hype for this game is getting real. I don't even think I was this hyped for Cyberpunk and Elden Ring.

But I do wonder how much he is bullshitting. And how far up into space could they have taken him. Is there no load screen to interrupt sequence? Also what happens if you are trapped in space for whatever reason and can't get back to your ship/planet lol. I guess you'll have to reload a save file.

• Sweating
  • Gib
Reactions: Stevey and Cacher

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
I tried TLOU on Steam Deck and was really surprised it even held 30 fps in the Financial Plaza which is one of the most demanding areas in the game. You get about 2 hours of battery life. They also added cute little details like the game having proper Steam Deck controller button prompts (Instead of just Xbox controller prompts) and instead of saying "Quit to desktop" it says "Quit to library", pretty small details that I can appreciate, and adds to the experience IMO.
Wow, nice. It's a shame the game didn't launch like that, it could have been a very big hit on PC.

Reactions: C-Dub and LEANIJA

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
Looks awesome. I use an xbone controller so it would be right up my alley. I bought a PS5 controller recently and I just don't like it much. But I'm using it to slowly play through BOTW and plan to use it for TOTK as well. Why doesn't Microsoft have motion sensing?
Now that I think about it, I might have been able to use the Wii U gamepad, if anyone developed drivers to use it on CEMU, lol.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
I don't think that graphics fidelity should define pricing, but that said, that particular screenshot really is extremely bad in some aspects. Those wall and floor textures would feel at home on a low-cost, early PS3 game at the latest, and that's a good 15 years ago.
To be exact, I don't think graphics should define pricing as in, for example, no pixel game deserves $60. It's more about how much effort was put within the artstyle dev went for and if they're consistent. I'd gladly pay $60 for some pixel graphics metroidvania with a nice artstyle, or for something like Songs of Conquest once it has more content. But Metaphor ain't that. You can clearly see that some kind of high fidelity graphics is what they wanted to go for, as evidenced by MC model which is high quality and similar to P3RE, but simply shat the bed in a lot of other places and went for super low quality assets. Remember FF7R and some of the turbo low resolution textures which looked completely out of place? Or the low-polygon PS2-tier bathroom models? This is the same kind of situation.

Like I said before, when you compare Metaphor to P3RE, there's a night and day difference. P3RE also has relatively low graphics fidelity compared to Western or even some Japanese AAA titles, but it's consistent between the assets and works with the artstyle.

Reactions: thekeats1999

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I was expecting Metaphor to be a much bigger departure from their usual style and I'm convinced that that was the plan initially, but as development evolved they ended up going back into their comfort zone.

Unacceptable? Really? Even ignoring the fact that the game looks pretty decent, since when is that the only metric that defines if a game is worth full price? Sorry but that last sentence is just hilarious. You've never seen a worse looking full price game? Ok then.

On a different note, Star wars Outlaws was a pleasant surprise, looking forward to that one.
I would love if some studios would reuse more styles and assets if that means lower costs and faster development.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
That Cyberpunk requirements update got me depressed. I was so hyped for it, still am. But I was only just barely scraping ~60-70fps with current setup at 1440p.

Now I'm determined to save up for a new PC build. But oof, looking at my budget... Don't think I'll be able to scratch together a full build until December at the earliest. :weary-face:

Big sadge.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
This Cyberpunk shit is having an adverse effect on me. Now I’m admittedly OCD enough to have waited years to play the game in order to be able to do so on something like High RT, but now they announce an xpac which seemingly changes a ton of mechanics AND make the gale even more demanding on hardware ?
I get it must feel good to some, but this is slightly repelling to me. Like putting sharp things in my urethra repelling.

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
I'm not feeling to good about the new CP2077 requirements as well. I just ordered a new PC but those CPU requirements is bonkers. I'm just hoping that it's very exaggerated.

I might put a call into the shop to see if they upgrade me to a Ryzen 7.

At least the new computer can play everything else. Hopefully...

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
This Cyberpunk shit is having an adverse effect on me. Now I’m admittedly OCD enough to have waited years to play the game in order to be able to do so on something like High RT, but now they announce an xpac which seemingly changes a ton of mechanics AND make the gale even more demanding on hardware ?
I get it must feel good to some, but this is slightly repelling to me. Like putting sharp things in my urethra repelling.
I haven't played the game either. When it came out I decided to wait for it to get fixed/better with patches and that took 2 years. Then they announced RT overdrive mode is coming and I decided to wait for that too which was another 6 months. When that finally released it was incomplete/beta so I decided to wait for it's proper implementation. I was finally getting ready to play it soon (next month or so, whenever Lilith gets her claws out of me) and then they announce this full overhaul. So I'll happily wait another few months. Yea, it has sucked having to wait for years for the game to get fixed but the tradeoff is that we'll hopefully have a much, much better first time experience now. That's a win in my book. Hopefully the upgraded system requirements will also mean this becomes one of the best looking games ever made.

• This!
Reactions: Aaron D. and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I haven't played the game either. When it came out I decided to wait for it to get fixed/better with patches and that took 2 years. Then they announced RT overdrive mode is coming and I decided to wait for that too which was another 6 months. When that finally released it was incomplete/beta so I decided to wait for it's proper implementation. I was finally getting ready to play it soon (next month or so, whenever Lilith gets her claws out of me) and then they announce this full overhaul. So I'll happily wait another few months. Yea, it has sucked having to wait for years for the game to get fixed but the tradeoff is that we'll hopefully have a much, much better first time experience now. That's a win in my book. Hopefully the upgraded system requirements will also mean this becomes one of the best looking games ever made.
I get it but if the changes are that consequent, I get the weird feeling that I should play the game now to experience the original vision.
Like, is it still Cyberpunk if you change so much of Cyberpunk ? The ship of Theseus, not being able to swim two times in the same river.
That escalated quickly :thinking-blob:

edit
But more seriously, I'm a tad tired of waiting. The EGS thing has shown us the weakening power of hype over time and I must admit I'm not incredibly interested in CP anymore. Like not at all, even. I want to play it because I still have faith in the writing and the general wow factor, but making me wait a couple months again is a risk.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I posted this in the EGS thread instead of here:

In a few communities I frequent the reaction to the ROG Ally has been mixed.

For people who know their way around Windows, perhaps have a HTPC or controller-focussed setup, it’s an incredible device.

For everyone else it’s been a nightmare. System onboarding has been… problematic.

A lot of the media have been hyping this up as a “Deck killer”, completely blind to the fact that the user experience of Windows on one of these is challenging.

I’m expecting a lot of returns/open box sales of this device. Asus and all the other OEMs looking at making a device like this will have to think very carefully about the user experience of the next model.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
I get it but if the changes are that consequent, I get the weird feeling that I should play the game now to experience the original vision.
Like, is it still Cyberpunk if you change so much of Cyberpunk ? The ship of Theseus, not being able to swim two times in the same river.
That escalated quickly :thinking-blob:

edit
But more seriously, I'm a tad tired of waiting. The EGS thing has shown us the weakening power of hype over time and I must admit I'm not incredibly interested in CP anymore. Like not at all, even. I want to play it because I still have faith in the writing and the general wow factor, but making me wait a couple months again is a risk.
In the part of CP I've managed to stomach, which was ~10 hours, the writing was very movie-like. As in, if you want a game that plays like a mix of action game and thriller, then you should be happy with the game. It didn't really work as an RPG imo, which is evidenced by very lacking dialogue choices, minimal C&C and a protagonist that is probably as far from a blank-state as can be, arguably even more established and limited in role-playing than Geralt. I wanted an RPG and not a moviegame, so I just dropped it. I especially didn't like how emotional and "entitled" the MC was acting in the cutscenes. Like those annoying rebel teenagers in American movies.

Reactions: Li Kao

fearthedawn

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
That is a hefty jump in cpu requirements indeed, looks like they're targeting 30fps on console and bruteforcing that to 60 on pc requires double the cpu power. Are they running some sort of city life simulation now to populate Night City? Hopefully it's something nice like that and not just bad optimization.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
So after catching up and watching most of the game shows I think I would rank them...

Xbox > Future Games Show > Devolver > PCGamer > Keighley/DoD > Wholesome > Guerrilla > Ubisoft > Playstation

Overall it was a good week of shows. The only other big usual companies missing were Nintendo and EA.

Kojima not being anywhere was kind of surprising too. There is still TGS, Gamescom and Game Awards the rest of the year so plenty more premieres/news coming.

My top 5 most hyped from all the SGF announcements.

Starfield
Star Trek: Infinite
Metal Gear Collection
Metaphor
Avowed

So many good games coming in the next 18 months. So much I want to play :cool:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
All these talks about Cyberpunk push me to check the hardware prices. Not too bad, but I am in no urgent need to upgrade as I have a Series x for new games, and I also don't mind playing Starfield at 30fps. My rig, with a 1080 Ti, is 6 years old and can still handle 99.9% of videogames out there at 1080p, so I will just keep saving and waiting till my rig reaching the "outdated" status.
My top 5 most hyped from all the SGF announcements.

Starfield
Star Trek: Infinite
Metal Gear Collection
Metaphor
Avowed

So many good games coming in the next 18 months. So much I want to play :cool:
My top 5 games would be

Starfield
Avowed
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy
The Lamplighters League
Star Wars Outlaws

Sixth would be Metaphor. Although it looks like a Persona reskin at the moment (which I am lukewarm to) but the fantasy setting rather than modern day changes everything.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Mmh, kinda in the mood to play Bloodline and Arcanum for the first time.
Just for the lul, it seems that reading Arcanum manual is heavily recommended. Arcanum manual is 187 pages.

• Toucan
Reactions: Dandy and Cacher

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I posted this in the EGS thread instead of here:

In a few communities I frequent the reaction to the ROG Ally has been mixed.

For people who know their way around Windows, perhaps have a HTPC or controller-focussed setup, it’s an incredible device.

For everyone else it’s been a nightmare. System onboarding has been… problematic.

A lot of the media have been hyping this up as a “Deck killer”, completely blind to the fact that the user experience of Windows on one of these is challenging.

I’m expecting a lot of returns/open box sales of this device. Asus and all the other OEMs looking at making a device like this will have to think very carefully about the user experience of the next model.
The solution is pretty simple: fully support and make SteamOS run on it, and make it the default.

OEMs are likely not going to do this. I think they delude themselves into thinking they can actually gain some sort of ecosystem foothold / advantage with their own custom software on Windows, which would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The solution is pretty simple: fully support and make SteamOS run on it, and make it the default.

OEMs are likely not going to do this. I think the delude themselves into thinking they can actually gain some sort of ecosystem foothold / advantage with their own custom software on Windows, which would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.
I think some of the OEMs will probably bite on SteamOS, and not just in the handheld form factor. I think we’ll see some 10-13 inch tablets with kickstands that can use a detachable keyboard and mouse or wireless controller, and I think SteamOS would be great for those too.

But you’re right - many of them won’t bother because they won’t be able to preload the system with their junkware.

Reactions: lashman and Durante

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
In the part of CP I've managed to stomach, which was ~10 hours, the writing was very movie-like. As in, if you want a game that plays like a mix of action game and thriller, then you should be happy with the game. It didn't really work as an RPG imo, which is evidenced by very lacking dialogue choices, minimal C&C and a protagonist that is probably as far from a blank-state as can be, arguably even more established and limited in role-playing than Geralt. I wanted an RPG and not a moviegame, so I just dropped it. I especially didn't like how emotional and "entitled" the MC was acting in the cutscenes. Like those annoying rebel teenagers in American movies.
There is actually lot of reactivity in quests and freedom of approach in both gameplay and narrative. Cyberpunk is an RPG through and through, even more so than Witcher 3. And I do not see anyone call Witcher 3 not an RPG.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
There is actually lot of reactivity in quests and freedom of approach in both gameplay and narrative. Cyberpunk is an RPG through and through, even more so than Witcher 3. And I do not see anyone call Witcher 3 not an RPG.
The vast majority of dialogues are Fallout 4-tier and your personality is vastly more pre-set than in something like Dragon Age Inquisition (I picked this game as the example because it has a fully voiced protag just like CP, with 2 voices per gender even), where almost every dialogue has several options that fit a stoic, aggressive, gentle, etc. personalities. The life path dialogue options also often make a schizophrenic out of you, since they feel completely detached in tone from the rest of dialogue options (mostly talking about corpo here) which seem to assume you have street kid or similar background.

There's a reason why they used the Flathead mission for almost all promo material, and that's because it's a vertical slice of what they wanted the game to be. The rest is much more streamlined however, and doesn't compare to that quest.

Witcher 3 had a lot more leeway because it was CDPR's first AAA game and because it starred an established character as the protagonist. V was supposed to be "our" character, yet it's just Geralt v2, and oftentimes I felt even more limited in how I could react to things than in TW3.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The vast majority of dialogues are Fallout 4-tier and your personality is vastly more pre-set than in something like Dragon Age Inquisition (I picked this game as the example because it has a fully voiced protag just like CP, with 2 voices per gender even), where almost every dialogue has several options that fit a stoic, aggressive, gentle, etc. personalities. The life path dialogue options also often make a schizophrenic out of you, since they feel completely detached in tone from the rest of dialogue options (mostly talking about corpo here) which seem to assume you have street kid or similar background.

There's a reason why they used the Flathead mission for almost all promo material, and that's because it's a vertical slice of what they wanted the game to be. The rest is much more streamlined however, and doesn't compare to that quest.

Witcher 3 had a lot more leeway because it was CDPR's first AAA game and because it starred an established character as the protagonist. V was supposed to be "our" character, yet it's just Geralt v2, and oftentimes I felt even more limited in how I could react to things than in TW3.
I think actual "role playing" in video game RPGs is often quite subdued, if not outright not present. I mean, Bethesda is the best example here, where you are free to do whatever you like, but your character doesn't have any way or expressing themselves outside of how they look or act in the gameworld. Dialogue has never been a focus in Elder Scrolls. Hell, Morrowind basically did not have a dialogue system, most NPCs were just walking encyclopaedias, quite literally.
So unless you are also fine with calling into question a lot of games RPG credentials, I think Cyberpunk is in quite good company on that front.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
I think actual "role playing" in video game RPGs is often quite subdued, if not outright not present. I mean, Bethesda is the best example here, where you are free to do whatever you like, but your character doesn't have any way or expressing themselves outside of how they look or act in the gameworld. Dialogue has never been a focus in Elder Scrolls. Hell, Morrowind basically did not have a dialogue system, most NPCs were just walking encyclopaedias, quite literally.
So unless you are also fine with calling into question a lot of games RPG credentials, I think Cyberpunk is in quite good company on that front.
It's a well known fact that Bethesda games have bad role-playing as far as narrative content goes. If I were to name games with good role-playing in dialogues and similar, it'd be PoE games (as much as I didn't enjoy the writing, they had good RP options), Tyranny, Owlcat's Pathfinder games, Dragon Age Origins and Inquisition, Alpha Protocol, SWTOR. Probably some more that eluded me right now. But yes, a lot of RPG games are actually fairly barebones in the RP aspect. Some make up for it with RP potential in other departments (Bethesda games after modding), others don't (imo CP).

Reactions: Mivey
Status
Not open for further replies.