Community MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Compared with AA3 (which is a masterpiece through and through)
As much as I loved cases 4-5 in AA3, the way Shu Takumi weaved the connecting thread of all the cases in TGAA2 was nothing short of masterful. It is pretty much a kamige to me, and the music is peak Ace Attorney.

I'm not expecting the depth of TGAA2 because, after all, it came after AA6, but I hope the case structure is just as interesting as the latter.

Reactions: Cacher

YourFriendMaynard

The flame is it's own reflection
Dec 21, 2018
Boomer shooter have done the impossible!

All the shitty doom clones are being revived!

We can relive 90's again!

Suffering through shitty fucking doom clones until someone makes a HALF LIFE TM like game and then fuckin poof a Unreal Tournament esque game in 5 years from now!

What hath irony wrought
Boomer shooters innovating whilst stagnating

a tale as old as time itself

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
So if they're remastering Ghost Trick, of all things, and actually went to the trouble of localizing The Great Ace Attorney a few years ago, then surely the Miles Edgeworth Investigations games are next, right? Right?!
Capcom can take their time with AAI1-2, so they won't ruin the perfection that is Judge Courtney.

• Toucan
Reactions: QFNS

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Oh my god, read this whole thread on Cp2077 Expac. It is sooooo hype sounding!!!

The melee rework sounds insane. Holy shit I wanna play it so bad already. Cyber Samurai here i come!
I read the whole thread, and that's a lot of interesting changes. I might need to replay the whole game instead of just playing the expansion :sweaty-blob:

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Even if you're a jaded gamer that hates the AAA industry you have to admit, this has been an absolutely stellar year for gaming. So far we've had (if you ignore the shittiness of some PC ports)

• Dead Space Remake
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Like a Dragon Ishin
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake (My personal favorite lol)
  • Zelda TOTK
  • Returnal PC
  • The Last of Us PC
  • Star Wards Jedi Survivor
  • Amnesia The Bunker
  • System Shock Remake
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Diablo IV

Plus the games that haven't launched yet but look great
  • FF XVI
  • Spiderman 2
  • Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart PC
  • Forza Motorsport
  • Starfield
  • Silent Hill 2 Remake (if the leaks are correct)
  • MGS The Master Collection Vol. 1 (it has to come to Steam right guys? :cryblob: )
  • Alan Wake II (Egsclusive goddamn it)
  • Persona 5 Tactica
  • Ass Ass of Creed Mirage (2 ubi games looking kinda good? What?)
  • Lies of P

And on top of all that we're apparently getting the real version of Cyberpunk 2077 that we should've gotten 3 years ago + a huge expansion?? I didn't mention this but when I finally got the means to build a gaming PC back in 2020, I did it for the sole purpose of playing Cyberpunk, but the game was such a shitshow at launch that it killed all the hype that I had for it and I didn't even bother to play it ever. Now I'm tempted to buy both CP2077 and the expansion lol.

It's rare to have a year like this in gaming, normally we get more 2021's than 2023's.

Last edited:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Caught up on some E3 stuff. Xbox show was good. Other big shows kind of bad. Indie shows made my wishlist grow.

Atlus be like

The money bag that Xbox gave to Sega/Atlus to have all the trailers on their show must have been nice.

Anyways, I'll probably play Persona3 Reloaded and Metaphor: ReFantazio. I'm so behind on their games that that will probably be in 2030 or something.
I'm interested in Fable.
Avowed looks neat.
Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2 looks neat but I need to play the first game first.
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, sure. Though I'm so behind on the series now.
Jusant, that Dontnod climbing game could be cool depending on how the climbing paths are determined. Like, how free are you to take your path and figure out how to get to point A to B.
Still Wakes the Deep is potentially interesting, but maybe it's too spoopy.
Great to see some Cities Skylines 2, maybe the traffic is easier to manage this time so even I can do it.
Clockwork Revolution looks cool but now idea what it ends up being.
I could see myself playing a lot of Starfield. Like a lot.

What was up with Keanus's microphone?

Nothing from Double Fine, kind of surprised.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I just hope Ubi doesn't ruin that Star Wars game by making itan open world or by making everyone in it a secret Jedi.

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Are the fan translations of the other Ace Attorney games done ? Because this second trilogy is great but I’m not convinced there will be another collection, and I’m not waiting 3 years for it.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I assume that this was shown at one of these events I can't be assed to follow, but Youtube just recommended it to me and it's great:

Cities in CRPGs are my favourite thing, and this one looks amazing.
Man I just watched this trailer and it looks so great. I've owned BG3 since near the time it came out in early access but I never played it nor did I even look at what was going on with the development. So, for example, I'm actually surprised that you can walk around in the game in 3rd person mode because I had just assumed it would be an isometric game. The city does look wonderful and I'm confident that Larian will make it immersive and interesting to explore.

It's a real shame this game is going to get slaughtered by Starfield.

I suppose that's a bit dramatic but it's also kind of true. Starfield early access starts 1 day after this game releases. I've wanted a new BG game for 20 years now and the fact that Larian is the studio making it is one of those 'stars have aligned' moments and yet I think even I'll be playing Starfield first. Even though BG3 is going to be a much deeper and reactive game which is what I prefer. Even though Starfield will likely launch broken and if not, will require several months of patches and mods to make it better. Even though I've been increasingly disappointed with every BGS game that has come out after Morrowind. BGS game releases have this gravitational pull that is just a landmark moment where you have to see what they've done this time around. And a science fiction setting is way more to my liking than fantasy and post-apocalypse.

Kind of reminds me of 2014 where Larian made the best RPG of the year in Divinity Original Sin and it was completely ignored in favour of Dragon Age Inquisition. I expect Starfield will suck all the air out of the room but at least, I hope, it will not be garbage like Inquisition was. I hope BG3 sells millions and exceeds Larian's expectations. Most importantly, I really hope the game turns out to be as good as BG2 was back in it's day.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The photo mode is going to be a disgusting waste of time in this. So good.

Love the overall art direction. Its like a big mix of Death Stranding, Fallout and Star Citizen.

A few texture and weather mods will make this game jump an entire generation into the future imo. I remember some of the extreme New Vegas weather mods made that game look so good. I'm guessing Bethesda won't put in that much weather variety so to not kill the console framerates but PC modding communities are gonna go crazy with this.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Are the fan translations of the other Ace Attorney games done ? Because this second trilogy is great but I’m not convinced there will be another collection, and I’m not waiting 3 years for it.
There's a decent fan translation of AAI2, yep. That's the only game that hasn't been localised yet, the first one got a limited Western released.
Hopefully there's a chance that Capcom brings those two back as well. Hardly a bigger risk than TGAA was

Reactions: Li Kao

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Embracer is not doing well...
They are going to restructure the entire company with shutting down game studios, cancel unannonced games with low expectations...

Article in Swedish. Haven't been able to find an article in English yet

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
There's a decent fan translation of AAI2, yep. That's the only game that hasn't been localised yet, the first one got a limited Western released.
Hopefully there's a chance that Capcom brings those two back as well. Hardly a bigger risk than TGAA was
For exhaustiveness sake I would take the Layton collab, too. But I'm far from convinced it's in the cards.
Or maybe it's more Layton and less AA ? People who played it, was it good ?

They are going to restructure the entire company with shutting down game studios, cancel unannonced games with low expectations...
This is fucking pathetic. Peak crazy capitalism.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018

I could’ve told you this would eventually happen.

Everyone with an ounce of common sense knew.

Capitalism is cancer.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
I'm quite happy with what I've seen this year. Very very strong offerings. If anything the Playstation Direct was weak but there are way too many things to play out there for the next few years.

Last night's Ubisoft stream was great. I really like the Metroidvania PoP, Avatar looked good (although I'm scared of this one having too much filler like Assassin's Creed), and Star Wars Outlaws looked like made for me aside from the framerate at times.

Xbox show was insane for me, I'm in for (and I'm making a list):

• Persona 3 Reloaded
  • Metaphor: ReFantazio
  • Persona 5 Tactica
  • Fable is in the cards.
  • Avowed
  • Clockwork Revolutionis in the cards but right now looks like a Lidl Bioshock Infinite.
  • Starfield is going to take my life.
And from the PC stream Stormgate is F2P and I'll try for the coop stuff.
Baldur's Gate 3 comes out a few days after my birthday so if I can save some leisure moneyby then ( right now I'm paying for a kitchen renovation that couldn't wait anymore :-/ ) I'll pick it up as a self gift.
I'll probably, eventually give FFXVI a try when it comes out on PC even though I really really dislike how they've gone the action route.

And there are many other games that I haven't mentiones or were shown before like DD2.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I could’ve told you this would eventually happen.

Everyone with an ounce of common sense knew.
Exactly, this was to be expected. Embracer has been buying way too many studio's, and most of their output was mediocre at best. Sabre, Zen Studios and Deep Silver also keep signing exclusivity deals with Epic, thereby further alienating and pissing off their fanbase on PC. The only games from Embracer I've bought/play the fast few years are the ones in Humble Monthly...

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Sooo... Embracer failed at Extend and went straight to Extinguish, huh. Except they're applying it to themselves. Oof.
That 2 billion deal falling through must have stung a lot. But also taking a non-finalized deal for granted and planning around it seems pretty reckless, if that is what happened.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
The photo mode is going to be a disgusting waste of time in this. So good.

Love the overall art direction. Its like a big mix of Death Stranding, Fallout and Star Citizen.

A few texture and weather mods will make this game jump an entire generation into the future imo. I remember some of the extreme New Vegas weather mods made that game look so good. I'm guessing Bethesda won't put in that much weather variety so to not kill the console framerates but PC modding communities are gonna go crazy with this.
I wonder if there are going to be some heavily hazardous planets in the base game, or if we'll have to wait for mods for that. I'm talking toxic planets, volcanic planets, frozen planets, etc. Something that'd require heavily specialized equipment to step on.

There's a cool Reddit post I've read a while ago about what would a theoretical "landing" on Jupiter look like (it's a gas giant so you can't land per se, but you get the meaning). I recommend it to everyone, it's an interesting read.
Link

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Mask of the Rose released with very little fanfare.
Harmony: Fall of Reverie released with so little that I just learned it was out.
Maybe don't release during E3. Just a suggestion.

Like the bozos who release their game during a Steam sale :sweaty-blob:
These are both games I should be playing right now, because they are exactly the types of games I love. Hell, I backed Mask of the Rose so I have it already! But I don't have time to play any games, because I'm now officially a drone in Hoyoverse's gacha factory.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I wonder if there are going to be some heavily hazardous planets in the base game, or if we'll have to wait for mods for that. I'm talking toxic planets, volcanic planets, frozen planets, etc. Something that'd require heavily specialized equipment to step on.

There's a cool Reddit post I've read a while ago about what would a theoretical "landing" on Jupiter look like (it's a gas giant so you can't land per se, but you get the meaning). I recommend it to everyone, it's an interesting read.
Link
That's one of those things that is very neglected in SciFi, truly weird and hostile worlds. Not just the "toxic atmosphere" or "too hot" ones that would be obviously irrelevant conditions to any space faring species.
A failed star like Jupiter is so cool, and there's a lot more to do with the terrible effect it has on moons getting too close, let alone weird shit like HD 189733 b where it rains molten glass sideways.

It'd be cool to see more alien aliens like in the books of Asimov, and not always sexy blue people or fantasy races with a makeover :alien:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Sooo... Embracer failed at Extend and went straight to Extinguish, huh. Except they're applying it to themselves. Oof.
That 2 billion deal falling through must have stung a lot. But also taking a non-finalized deal for granted and planning around it seems pretty reckless, if that is what happened.
Rofl, that one has always been clown shoes to me, and I'm not a lawyer or corporate apologist, but 'We had a verbal agreement' is just incredible.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

It was only a question of time, the way they were acquiring studios was not self sustaining.

I feel for everyone who will lose their jobs and I hope they all can land on their feet :confounded-face:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Oh I guess at some point Embracer actually did name the operating group that they created for Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal, it's called CDE Entertainment. Very creative.

I'll be very curious what studios they end up gutting or shutting down. And whether it will only concern video games. I have no real sense on how they tabletop branch is doing, for example.
And looking at their operating groups, I have never even heard of this first one that's listed on wikipedia, Amplifier Game Invest. And aside from Tarsier Studios, I don't really know any of these devs under that group either.
17000 employees is a lot that's for sure.

==

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit surprised that Giant Bomb is continuing their nightly shows from not-E3 this year with so much of the crew having changed.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised.
Just replace Jeff G with another Jeff G as the interviewer and no one will know the difference. :smart-thinking-blob:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Not gonna lie, I'm a bit surprised that Giant Bomb is continuing their nightly shows from not-E3 this year with so much of the crew having changed.

Just replace Jeff G with another Jeff G as the interviewer and no one will know the difference. :smart-thinking-blob:
Even tho all the old folks left they still been putting together good content imo. The voicemail dumptrucks are pretty good and the regular podcasts have been ok.

Reactions: Parsnip

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018

Just replace Jeff G with another Jeff G as the interviewer and no one will know the difference.
No one can replace Gerstmann with his E3 nights interviews.
That said, I really enjoyed Gruff's interviews too. He brings in his energy to make people comfortable and let them speak their hearts out.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
As much as I loved cases 4-5 in AA3, the way Shu Takumi weaved the connecting thread of all the cases in TGAA2 was nothing short of masterful. It is pretty much a kamige to me, and the music is peak Ace Attorney.

I'm not expecting the depth of TGAA2 because, after all, it came after AA6, but I hope the case structure is just as interesting as the latter.
I have some unpopular opinions towards TGAA because the pacing in the two games is a mess in my opinion. Takumi managed to collect the story threads into one which is an impressive feast, but I opt for a more concise experience like AA3 or AAI2, whereas TGAA has too much fat, a rather mediocre first game and the one who looks like a big bad guy (spoiler warning to those who haven't played the game)[ ISPOILER]is the big bad guy.[/ISPOILER]

While AA6 is not as intricate as some previous AA game, it is my favorite game in the series because it is very personal and sentimental. I also love mystic elements in a AA game and the whole premise is built on it. It also has one big twist late game and I was caught completely offguard by the reveal, so those who love twists surely has something to look forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.