Community MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
soooo.....
who else is gonna go to sleep now and waking up in 8-10 hours?

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
My point was that in case of Respawn they already showed that they don't do that great job with Unreal even at the office environment. So going WFH didn't help and probably made things bit worse in regards to that. And that fits with my personal experience where people who are tough to manage in office environment are even tougher to manage with WFH.

And regarding WFH in general, it's not good or bad. It depends on the team and individuals how it will work. some people prefer one other prefer other but how they all work as a team is most crucial. I tried WFH for 2 months, said never again and went back to the office for example.
People who slack off on WFH will also slack off in the office. We all know that guy who you've never seen actually working but is apparently everywhere.

Respawn's problems, like every EA owned studio, have always been that they have fucked up priorities due to the way EA manages them. You could build them a special studio with high end everything and their games will still suffer. It's a culture problem.

EA might not explicitly demand they work long hours, but the reality is that accountants run companies, not game devs.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
People who slack off on WFH will also slack off in the office. We all know that guy who you've never seen actually working but is apparently everywhere.

Respawn's problems, like every EA owned studio, have always been that they have fucked up priorities due to the way EA manages them. You could build them a special studio with high end everything and their games will still suffer. It's a culture problem.

EA might not explicitly demand they work long hours, but the reality is that accountants run companies, not game devs.
EA literally offered Respawn more time but Star Wars Creative Director refused.

• Sad
Reactions: PC-tan

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
soooo.....
who else is gonna go to sleep now and waking up in 8-10 hours?
Why ? Waiting for a release ?
I’m tired personally, but it’s so early it’s asking for far too early wake up.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
EA literally offered Respawn more time but Star Wars Creative Director refused.
Hence the culture problem. I have a hard time believing EA would like to move financial targets out of the goodness of their hearts.

Reactions: lashman

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Seems like there's a launch issue where fighting ground and world tour is files are unavailable to download. Causing the people that left those negative reviews to immediately leaving bad review. It's fixed now though
Reviews are already up to mixed. Some people really need to get a life lol. This was obviously going to be fixed very quickly.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Reviews are already up to mixed. Some people really need to get a life lol. This was obviously going to be fixed very quickly.
While to some extent this is true, it also really isn't necessary for a huge company like Capcom to mess up a flagship title launch.
You can extremely easily have a build up on an internal branch for testing, and then unlock that exact same build for everyone once you have verified that everything is there and working. This really shouldn't be too much to ask for when it comes to anything outside of small indie games.

Fluffpuff

Jul 20, 2021
Those FMV characters are a nice touch. Gives me warm fuzzy feelings seeing that kind of mixed media again. Can't remember the last time I've seen real human actors composited into a game world. Nowadays I only ever see video only games like Contradiction or something like Not For Broadcast where a video plays on an in-game screen. It's one of my favorite aspects of Riven. That game would have a completely different feel without them.

• Gib
Reactions: Durante and lashman

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
While to some extent this is true, it also really isn't necessary for a huge company like Capcom to mess up a flagship title launch.
You can extremely easily have a build up on an internal branch for testing, and then unlock that exact same build for everyone once you have verified that everything is there and working. This really shouldn't be too much to ask for when it comes to anything outside of small indie games.
No argument there. I just think jumping straight to immediately leaving a negative review for something like this is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
since star rail is there

And CN is estimated to have made almost double that (154$ million) on top of that, and all of that is still without PC revenue.
Safe to say Hoyo figured out the money-printing formula.

• Comfy
Reactions: hersheyfan

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

they talk about difficulty (easy/normal/hard modes, with 2 more to come post-launch: super hard and custom); ranomization to make the game replayable and experimentation, even mentioning "immersive sim-like" mechanics

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
So Sony played their hand with PSVR2 and Meta announced the Quest 3 for 500$ this fall. And Apple is rumored to announce a very pricey headset soon too.

That just leaves Valve now. I wonder when they do a blowout for Deckard. I mean is Deckard even a finalized product at this point? You never know with Valve since everything is speculation but I think they need to do a reveal before the end of the year. Even if its just a teaser. Would be really interesting if they announce a new VR game alongside the Deckard as well. The one thing Valve has over all these other companies is the ability to drop a big budget VR game. The VR team had to of been working on something these past 3 years. I just don't see them only making Alyx. Way too much money and time invested in this tech to do nothing else with it.

Also would be incredible if there is a surprise VR announcement in the Xbox show. I mean its unlikely but all these companies are doing so much weird shit. If Sony did a Project Q thing at their even it wouldn't even surprise me seeing Xbox reveal some crazy future teaser hardware plans too lol.

Reactions: FeedMeAStrayCat

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Happy June!

Our son was born on May 30th and we are finally home today. Everyone is healthy and doing well. My 2 year old daughter is excited to have a baby brother, she is so cute with him haha. Surreal to have two kids now. I imagine my gaming will be limited for awhile despite having several months of leave, but of course a lot of games I am interested in releasing now and over the next few months.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Those FMV characters are a nice touch. Gives me warm fuzzy feelings seeing that kind of mixed media again. Can't remember the last time I've seen real human actors composited into a game world. Nowadays I only ever see video only games like Contradiction or something like Not For Broadcast where a video plays on an in-game screen. It's one of my favorite aspects of Riven. That game would have a completely different feel without them.
I'm actually quite excited about 7th Guest VR.

I assume most of it is just nostalgia -- I remember 7th Guest from when it was released (as basically a tech demo of CD-ROM), playing it (or trying to, I was relatively young and the game's obtuse puzzle didn't make it easier) on the family PC. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing it in VR.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I don't know if it's a case of wrong game, wrong time, but I'm not feeling Tears of the Kingdom. I've barely played 2 hours but I find the building mechanic to be super tedious. They've added all these mechanics and complicated the BOTW controls to the point that they feel cumbersome.

I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but I think I'm gonna drop the game for now and come back to it in a few months.

Happy June!

Our son was born on May 30th and we are finally home today. Everyone is healthy and doing well. My 2 year old daughter is excited to have a baby brother, she is so cute with him haha. Surreal to have two kids now. I imagine my gaming will be limited for awhile despite having several months of leave, but of course a lot of games I am interested in releasing now and over the next few months.
That's brilliant news! Congratulations! Games will be here forever, but those first few precious months with your son will be gone before you know it. Enjoy the moment before the sleepless nights begin...

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
Putting money on Capcom's anti-debugging checks striking again. I refunded Resident Evil 8 back when it launched because of the stuttering that was far worse than the demo versions. IIRC, RE Framework also patches a lot of those checks out. But people will still find a way to blame Denuvo on the performance problems, even if a majority of the claims people have made ended up being psuedo-science.

But I digress, Capcom will probably fix it quickly knowing them, just that in a game like Street Fighter, which relies on 60FPS timings to behave with the correct speed, it will probably cause some problems with online multiplayer.

For those wondering about the state of the Etrian Odyssey Steam releases, looks like these ports are really solid from my time investigating. The framelimiter is broken on Proton currently, but the game still seemingly behaves with the correct game speed above 150FPS (It's official maximum option). Getting around 250-270FPS on my laptop setup (Ryzen 9 6900HX and RX 6800M XT on a 1080p 360Hz display) at 1080p with 4X MSAA. Still need to check how the game behaves on my desktop setup (With a 3440x1440 ultrawide display), but I'm pleasantly surprised by this release going a bit above my expectations.

Has really solid Keyboard and Mouse controls, support for Xbox/PS4/PS5/Switch button prompts (alongside an automatic option), and it seemingly uses Unity as a base (Like a few other rereleases have done before, like the recent Doom ports, Katamari Reroll, and Nocturne HD). I see IL2CPP getting in the way of any significant gameplay mods (for example: modding in the content from the Untold games), but what's here is really well polished, and is better than a majority of first-person dungeon crawler ports on Steam. The downside is the pricing ($40 for each game, or $80 for all of them, with limited time DLC characters).

Reason: Fixed some minor formatting issues
Last edited:

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
I wonder why there's so much secrecy around the MGS master collection. I wonder if it's like Persona's last year situation that they were first announced on the Xbox showcase, but confirmed all platforms on the Nintendo Direct. Maybe we´ll see it again at Xbox's showcase?

Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I wonder why there's so much secrecy around the MGS master collection. I wonder if it's like Persona's last year situation that they were first announced on the Xbox showcase, but confirmed all platforms on the Nintendo Direct. Maybe we´ll see it again at Xbox's showcase?
Konami has never been thorough and consistent with these things. All those other collections (Contra, Castlevania, etc) would randomly pop up on the Steam store and release shortly after iirc. They are probably just waiting for a better marketing blitz with more news this fall (gamescom, TGS). And then we see it.

And even if there is some Sony fuckery with this I really doubt this collection would be permanently exclusive to PS5. It would be 6 months timed at most and then we see it on PC. There is no way they release MGS3 remake on Steam but not do the collections. It has to release on everything...they will even put it on Switch 2 next year imo.

Reactions: lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Has really solid Keyboard and Mouse controls, support for Xbox/PS4/PS5/Switch button prompts (alongside an automatic option), and it seemingly uses Unity as a base (Like a few other rereleases have done before, like the recent Doom ports, Katamari Reroll, and Nocturne HD).
I'm initially a bit apprehensive in spending $108 AUD for the collection, but after spending about an hour with the EO1 last night, I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Although, mapping with a controller was a bit unwieldy, so I've used my Steam Controller and set the right trackpad as a mouse. Placing icons and drawing map lines is much easier this way.

It would be nice to see some font mods (and perhaps better UI assets for larger resolutions) since the default font is a bit “boring”. I much prefer the stylised font from the original NDS release.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Happy June!

broooooo!! Congrats! I love good news in the MC family. :cat-heart-blob:

Status
Not open for further replies.