Community MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Okay I'll have to mod my 8bitdo arcade stick, cant connect shit on SF6 due to the square gate it has.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It looks like that Rad Venture game comes from the Sonic fan community. They always seem to churn out some good mods and games.
yeah, it looks seriously great! definitely on my radar!

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Enjoying the arcade mode in SF6. Still undecided on World Tour mode - I’m not sure a quest-based thing is the right fit. Feels a tad too grindy to keep my interest, but I’ll give it a few more goes.

But as a hyper-casual with no interest in online/competitive play, I really think Capcom have delivered with this one. Arcade and occasionally playing with friends is enough for me here, I think.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
We need a [MetaCouncil] SF6 club.
Or maybe not, I don't know what a club is in this. Just that we need one.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Street Fighter 6 is a good example of how gaas games are often so badly frontloaded

HERES YOUR CAPCOM ID
HERES YOUR TUTORIAL
HERES YOUR WORLD TOUR
HERE MAKE YOUR OWN CHARACTER
HERE IS SOME REWARDS
HERES YOUR DAILY QUEST
HERES YOUR PREMIUM SHOP
HERE IS YOUR CURRENCY SHOP
ARE YOU SURE YOU WANNA PLAY YET?
WE CAN STILL SHOW YOU THE GALLERY
OR YOUR PROFILE CUSTOMIZATION IF YOU'D LIKE

like bruh

just lemme get into cammys wonderful shape and lemme beat up some males k thx

Fighting some marissa player who wanted 20 rematches made me almost miss my duolingo streak tho

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Street Fighter 6 is a good example of how gaas games are often so badly frontloaded

HERES YOUR CAPCOM ID
HERES YOUR TUTORIAL
HERES YOUR WORLD TOUR
HERE MAKE YOUR OWN CHARACTER
HERE IS SOME REWARDS
HERES YOUR DAILY QUEST
HERES YOUR PREMIUM SHOP
HERE IS YOUR CURRENCY SHOP
ARE YOU SURE YOU WANNA PLAY YET?
WE CAN STILL SHOW YOU THE GALLERY
OR YOUR PROFILE CUSTOMIZATION IF YOU'D LIKE

like bruh

just lemme get into cammys wonderful shape and lemme beat up some males k thx

Fighting some marissa player who wanted 20 rematches made me almost miss my duolingo streak tho
SFV was somehow worse. If you had to reinstall the game, you were subjected to the last 7 years of mandatory on-launch news updates, because Capcom didn’t code an expiry into the articles.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
Squeenix are so scummy with the timed exclusive and timed store exclusive crap. I doubt very much it's worth it for them.
I mean if you HAD to make a timed exclusive game, how about Forspoken?

Reactions: Alexandros

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Oh look what we were saying for years is actually true.
Exclusivity has nothing to do with this. We live in an age where zelda just sold 10m on one platform in like a single day or something crazy like that. And sony had something like 6 20m+ selling games last gen (before PC sales) and several more that broke the 10m barrier.

What's going on here is what a lot of people don't want to admit: FF16 looks mid as hell and very unappealing to most people. DMC combat is not a draw to most people as character action games usually have a ceiling of 1-2m copies with DMC V being the only exception to that. The characters (which is one of the biggest draws of FF usually) all look like boilerplate generic fantasy characters from a design point of view, and their personalities are just as dry as their looks. Clive is one of the least interesting protagonists in a jrpg in a long time. He gives off post gta 3 PS2 era vibes where everything became angsty like Jak and the Prince in warrior within.

If you've been paying attention to social media metrics the game has always struggled with every trailer they release. The most recent one from the Sony showcase still hasn't cracked 800k views and is one of the lowest viewed trailers of the event at least as far as the big games go. The FF16 state of play they did where it was entirely FF16 focused is still only at 1.7m views (by comparison the Hogwarts state of play was at 12m before the game launched)

The game just isn't appealing. Maybe it picks up after launch if reviews are high but that's not a guarantee either. Critics love JP character action games and it never helped them sell millions. The great irony here is the changes they made were done to increase the appeal of it globally and it's on track to hurt the IP as it's not only not doing that but also alienating a decent portion of the existing FF base. The comments the team has made about how the game has no content outside of fighting isn't helping things either.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Exclusivity has nothing to do with this. We live in an age where zelda just sold 10m on one platform in like a single day or something crazy like that. And sony had something like 6 20m+ selling games last gen (before PC sales) and several more that broke the 10m barrier.

What's going on here is what a lot of people don't want to admit: FF16 looks mid as hell and very unappealing to most people. DMC combat is not a draw to most people as character action games usually have a ceiling of 1-2m copies with DMC V being the only exception to that. The characters (which is one of the biggest draws of FF usually) all look like boilerplate generic fantasy characters from a design point of view, and their personalities are just as dry as their looks. Clive is one of the least interesting protagonists in a jrpg in a long time. He gives off post gta 3 PS2 era vibes where everything became angsty like Jak and the Prince in warrior within.

If you've been paying attention to social media metrics the game has always struggled with every trailer they release. The most recent one from the Sony showcase still hasn't cracked 800k views and is one of the lowest viewed trailers of the event at least as far as the big games go. The FF16 state of play they did where it was entirely FF16 focused is still only at 1.7m views (by comparison the Hogwarts state of play was at 12m before the game launched)

The game just isn't appealing. Maybe it picks up after launch if reviews are high but that's not a guarantee either. Critics love JP character action games and it never helped them sell millions. The great irony here is the changes they made were done to increase the appeal of it globally and it's on track to hurt the IP as it's not only not doing that but also alienating a decent portion of the existing FF base. The comments the team has made about how the game has no content outside of fighting isn't helping things either.
I mean sure the game looks mid to some people (I think it looks great and I'll buy it day 1 when it comes to Steam), but I wouldn't say exclusivity has nothing to do with it. Sure, Zelda sold a ton of copies but doesn't the Switch has like a 100M+ install base? Those PS4 games that sold a ton of copies also launched in the second half of the PS4 lifecycle, didn't they? IIRC all those early PS4 exclusives weren't selling a ton of copies even when the PS4 was the most popular next-gen console at the time. I'd imagine this is the reason why Ragnarok and Forbidden West were cross-gen... they couldn't ignore that huge PS4 install base. Also, Square has always had absolutely unrealistic expectations when it comes to selling figures, they even bitched about it with the FF7 remake even though it sold a lot on PS4. They have the delusion that they can do Call of Duty or GTA numbers lmao.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018

It's not just about FFXVI. Sales of FFVII Remake dropped faster than they anticipated for example. And total number of sold copies is around 5-6M so far. That game had potential to be 10M+ seller in first year. Again why every other Eastern publisher moved from exclusivity? Because they realized that it is too limiting and not worth. And they are now breaking their records year over the year.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
It's not just about FFXVI. Sales of FFVII Remake dropped faster than they anticipated for example. And total number of sold copies is around 5-6M so far. That game had potential to be 10M+ seller in first year. Again why every other Eastern publisher moved from exclusivity? Because they realized that it is too limiting and not worth. And they are now breaking their records year over the year.
and happen to be making generation defining games like elden ring and monster hunter world lol. That's the key to all this, the games. I can't give you an answer as to why something like FF7R didn't catch on like some of sony's own games did. The quality was there but certain things just don't appeal to people on a wide scale. There's no reason to believe it woudl suddenly sell millions more if it launched on PC day 1 though.

Exclusives are some of the highest selling games in the industry. Countless nintendo games broke 10m+ on switch and like I said sony has had a ton of success with many of their own games, more than they ever did even during the ps2 days. You can't point at exclusivity as the reason why FF isn't doing well. If it had the same amount of interest as spiderman or god of war it'd cruise past 10m on PS just like those did.

Reactions: C-Dub

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
and happen to be making generation defining games like elden ring and monster hunter world lol. That's the key to all this, the games. I can't give you an answer as to why something like FF7R didn't catch on like some of sony's own games did. The quality was there but certain things just don't appeal to people on a wide scale. There's no reason to believe it woudl suddenly sell millions more if it launched on PC day 1 though.
It would sell much much more copies on PC if it was Day 1 release. If you look at past few years how very late PC ports did you can see that they did much much worse than Day 1 ports. As I compared before Spider-Man that by all metrics and logic should reach incredible numbers, peaked at 66K concurrent players on Steam. Street Fighter 6 that is really limited genre did those numbers and there is chance that it will pass them over the weekend. Even R* games feel late port struggle, RDR2 didn't light PC charts either. As far as I remember only late port that did amazing was Monster Hunt World and after that Capcom decided to shorten time between original release and PC and it will probably launch sequel day 1 on PC.

Reactions: PC-tan

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I’m always there day one for FF games. I consider them system sellers.

I give literally no fucks about FFXVI. The game looks like everything I don’t want in a Final Fantasy.

Anecdotal, sure, but frankly the fact that this game has Square-Enix worried doesn’t surprise me.

I’m with Derrick on this - it looks incredibly bland.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I’m always there day one for FF games. I consider them system sellers.

I give literally no fucks about FFXVI. The game looks like everything I don’t want in a Final Fantasy.

Anecdotal, sure, but frankly the fact that this game has Square-Enix worried doesn’t surprise me.

I’m with Derrick on this - it looks incredibly bland.
Entire point of FFXVI was to expand audience. That was their goal.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
I’ve been playing Diablo IV, I didn’t play a diablo game since original Diablo II. The hell, if you plan to play this game single-offline it’s hard.
I don’t remember D2 was that hard. Lol.
I didn’t had issues on PS5 but as was pointed posts before Blizzard messed with licenses.
Diablo share account between platforms if you have linked them.
So if you have purchased the game on console (in my case PS5) you cannot buy nor download the game on PC with that account.
I cannot play -early acces- Diablo 4 on PC, I cannot purchase the game on Battle.net because it says is already owned and it’s in my library -it really is not-, because I own the ultimate edition on PS5.
It’s a known issue and cs says on the official forum devs are working on it. I suppose this happens with people who purchased the game on XBOX because some people are reporting the same issue on that post.

The game it’s really good, but the hell so hard for single player.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Seems bananas that they made a more boring-looking game, then.

I’m all for changes to FF. Mainline games have tried something new for a while. I don’t subscribe to the “it must be x, y and z” mentality.

But XVI looks incredibly uninteresting. It’s like they made a checklist of everything I don’t want in a Final Fantasy, then made it.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018

There is a reason Final Fantasy was most influential and sold most in the ATB era.
Of course, Action Combat aficionados still try to beat us with the argument that Action combat is "more fun" and has "more appeal" while the FF franchise is falling into "niche" status.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I think there are two separate discussions here.

1) Square Enix being masters at failing to grow an audience and FF 16 (and Final Fantasy as a whole) audience being a lot smaller than it could be due to that.

2) FF 16 preorders being less than expected even taking the limited platform release into account. Which would imply that the game itself is not as appealing as they were expecting (and/or the marketing just doing a terrible job).

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I’ve been playing Diablo IV, I didn’t play a diablo game since original Diablo II. The hell, if you plan to play this game single-offline it’s hard.
I don’t remember D2 was that hard. Lol.
I didn’t had issues on PS5 but as was pointed posts before Blizzard messed with licenses.
Diablo share account between platforms if you have linked them.
So if you have purchased the game on console (in my case PS5) you cannot buy nor download the game on PC with that account.
I cannot play -early acces- Diablo 4 on PC, I cannot purchase the game on Battle.net because it says is already owned and it’s in my library -it really is not-, because I own the ultimate edition on PS5.
It’s a known issue and cs says on the official forum devs are working on it. I suppose this happens with people who purchased the game on XBOX because some people are reporting the same issue on that post.

The game it’s really good, but the hell so hard for single player.
Are you playing on world tier 2? Unless you are in a group of 3 or 4 people, that difficulty spike for 20% more exp and gold isn't worth it because you take longer to kill mobs and the exp and gold gain doesn't apply to quests.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I think there are two separate discussions here.

1) Square Enix being masters at failing to grow an audience and FF 16 (and Final Fantasy as a whole) audience being a lot smaller than it could be due to that.

2) FF 16 preorders being less than expected even taking the limited platform release into account. Which would imply that the game itself is not as appealing as they were expecting (and/or the marketing just doing a terrible job).
Absolutely. Square Enix have blown it on these two fronts for sure.

Their exclusivity strategy in recent years has harmed the IP, and that would be felt no matter what FFXVI is.

But yeah, the game is definitely not as appealing as they’d hoped. I think people who want medieval RPGs are well served already. To fit in a space occupied by titles like The Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, and Elden Ring, you’ve gotta do something exceptional.

Glitzy kaiju fights that look super basic from a gameplay perspective, combined with generic character designs and a grimdark revenge plot that, on the surface, looks like it’s been told 10,000 times already ain’t it. People are still fucked off about Game of Thrones - why would you want to replicate that?

The combat looks solid, but isn’t what I’d personally want out of FF. But I can somewhat understand the thinking of it. If you can thread that needle between character action and RPG you’re basically making a license to print money. The rest of the game though? Bland bland bland bland bland bland bland.

The people who they were trying to reach with this game will wait for new entries in other medieval RPG IP. Or at the very least, see how the final game is. I guess word of mouth could save this one if it’s exceptional.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
lol if you're expecting this kind of consumer protection in USA
I don’t think Valve should be forced to do this outside the EU now they’ve built it. I just think they should have feature parity. Do what they did with refunds and just give it to everyone.

But we all know they won’t, if only because third parties would be pissed off.

Reactions: Lashley and lashman

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
It's not yet active in the whole EU it's active only in some countries that implemented the EU directive (and not all of them I don't see the thing by using a german IP through a VPN)

in case people are curious, green is for countries where the implementation is active and orange in progress

Last edited:

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Are you playing on world tier 2? Unless you are in a group of 3 or 4 people, that difficulty spike for 20% more exp and gold isn't worth it because you take longer to kill mobs and the exp and gold gain doesn't apply to quests.
Yep, that was the case xD. Thanks for the advice it was tedious just beat simple enemies being alone.
^^. I hope blizzard solve license issues, I don’t want to pay for psplus.

Reactions: Kyougar

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I hope blizzard solve license issues, I don’t want to pay for psplus.
Have you tried turning it off and on again... ^^
Some PS users stated that the licensing issues were solved when they "bought" something free on PS store while Diablo was open.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com

Humble Choice June 2023 leak

Curse of the Dead Gods
Ghostwire Tokyo
GRIME
Honey, I Joined a Cult
Remnant: From the Ashes – Complete Edition
Serial Cleaners
Sunday Gold
Turbo Golf Racing

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I don't see myself ever going through a VN again unless it's on a handheld. Sitting in front of my PC reading for hours is something I just can't do anymore.

As for FFXVI, I'm intrigued. I think there's potential for something great but it depends on the execution.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekeats1999

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018

Curse of the Dead Gods
Ghostwire Tokyo
GRIME
Honey, I Joined a Cult
Serial Cleaners
Sunday Gold
Turbo Golf Racing

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Even if FF XVI is one of the best games of all time, the Final Fantasy brand has been severely damaged the past decade due to a string of mediocre and downright bad games. While some IPs can achieve >10 million sales as a platform exclusive, Final Fantasy is no longer one of them.

Also the VII Remake sales slowing down faster than expected isn't surprising. Even moreso than not being on Steam for two years, I think a lot of casuals got burned because VII Remake isn't a complete package and only remakes one portion. Even if it is the most iconic section of the game, the messaging was bad and I think lots of people won't bother with Rebirth and Part 3.

lol if you're expecting this kind of consumer protection in USA
I'm an American and noticed GOG doing that for awhile. I just thought they were being helpful.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

Curse of the Dead Gods
Ghostwire Tokyo
GRIME
Honey, I Joined a Cult
Serial Cleaners
Sunday Gold
Turbo Golf Racing
Oh, that's a very nice one.
I was already in for Ghostwire Tokyo alone, but Remnant is also one I've been meaning to try out and GRIME looks up my alley as well.

Reactions: C-Dub

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
Come on guys, no matter the discussions on the falling of the brand of Final Fantasy, it's just plain nuts that they're not releasing on the main platform that's carrying Square in the last years through FF 14.
They should have made all marketing focused on "the team that brought you Heavensward" and toss out these silly exclusivity deals

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
I'm an American and noticed GOG doing that for awhile. I just thought they were being helpful.
they're probably doing that because for them it's easier to roll this across the whole system rather than enable it for only certain regions.
I guess if Valve rolls this out globally would be for the same reason i.e. maintenance of a website and launcher with parity features being easier to maintain than 2 different versions of the website and launcher.
Obviously that would depend on the level of effort it actually requires and Valve own decisions.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
But if that is the case then I really think we have to come back to the point of making it exclusive (at least at launch) to a platform which just doesn't have that many players yet. Yes, exclusives can do quite well, even reaching "mainstream" sales numbers (e.g. TotK), but they generally do that when the platform they are exclusive to has reached a base of ~ 100 million or more.

Of course, I also agree that FFXVI doesn't look particularly interesting. But the series already completely lost me with FFXV, even though I used to be a big fan of it.
Also, at least from my perspective, I simply don't have time to play through more than a handful (at most; more like 2-3) long JRPGs a year any more and under those constraints there are just more appealing options out there for my taste.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
But if that is the case then I really think we have to come back to the point of making it exclusive (at least at launch) to a platform which just doesn't have that many players yet. Yes, exclusives can do quite well, even reaching "mainstream" sales numbers (e.g. TotK), but they generally do that when the platform they are exclusive to has reached a base of ~ 100 million or more.

Of course, I also agree that FFXVI doesn't look particularly interesting. But the series already completely lost me with FFXV, even though I used to be a big fan of it.
Also, at least from my perspective, I simply don't have time to play through more than a handful (at most; more like 2-3) long JRPGs a year any more and under those constraints there are just more appealing options out there for my taste.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
There is a reason Final Fantasy was most influential and sold most in the ATB era.
Of course, Action Combat aficionados still try to beat us with the argument that Action combat is "more fun" and has "more appeal" while the FF franchise is falling into "niche" status.
I don't think going back to turn based or pseudo turn based would do anything but lower its sales potential even more. The gaming world was a lot different back in the FF7-10 days and what those games were doing were industry leading in terms of graphics, scale and quality. Sony also helped market them on a level that no game had ever seen before (at least with FF7) which today would be comparable to marketing FF like a COD game.

It's probably safer to admit that the world has kinda moved on from jrpgs being the hottest thing around and it's probably not something that they can ever recapture. Honestly even back in the golden age it's not like any other jrpg was selling millions besides FF (except pokemon which is practically its own genre at this point). Even today when you see other jrpg franchises "growing to all time highs"...they're reaching numbers FF hit decades ago, sometimes even before the ps1 era. Even persona 5 which is the biggest persona by far (and ironically sold the vast majority of its numbers on 1 platform) still hasn't reached what FFXV did. I just think there's a ceiling to jrpg numbers and I'm not sure how to break through it. Like they seem to want FF to become a 20m+ game like witcher 3 but what made that game sell so well? Writing? Was it just released at the perfect time?

This was just another example of yoshi p talking out of his ass. FF hasn't had anything remotely turn based since 13 which I know was only a couple of games ago but it was also 14 years ago too. The series had already long left that system in the past it's not like 16's team made some pioneering choice here.

Status
Not open for further replies.