Community MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018

From the same thread :thinking-face: IMO this is a plus but not a must though
Beyond what people already said, I think his view is also very specific in the videogame market (in Japan in particular) - we're talking a fairly sizeable company, with a good amount of employees and enough credentials to actually publish games on PS5.

If you're a brand new Japanese developer, straight outta uni, alone or with a very small group with no money or close to it, there's no fucking way that you'll target the bloody PS5.
You will obviously make PC games, like anyone starting there has done since the 80s. And once a bit more sure of yourself and your team, likely try for the Switch, where it is quite a bit easier to get games out, and a lot less expensive.

Some indies would try mobile gaming, but that's not realistic.
On the other hand, companies recruiting newbies in the industry, they are mobile focused. Not AAA wannabes targeting a global audience on consoles, that's just not how it works - that's horrible advice to tell brand new Japanese developers to start on the newest consoles, because there's no way that's where they'll find success without a lot of nepotism.

The asset farms have not been in Japan for a long time, salaries are much too high. Also a reason why so many Western games look light years ahead, they'll exploit foreign cheap labour for all the boring grunt work that traditionally ended on the platter of fresh devs.

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
Me : But why ?
You know/don't know why.

My new PC finally came in! Excited to finally turn on the RTX on switch. Steam seal is soon and got a Diablo IV code with the graphics card so it going to be good gaming days for me.

Has anyone been playing the new Craftopia update? Is it a good update? Game seems unpolished but I'm down for some "We have BotW/Fortnite/Satisfactory at home" jank.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Just wait until it forces those side quests into the main story
You mean like the boat quests? They’re pretty boring but they’re short and a lot of the filler quests are spread out between eikon battles so its not really a big deal.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Are the MGS games straight ports of the of the old versions or have they done any improvements to them to justify the 60€ price tag?

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
RTX 4060 reviews, not as bad as the 4060 Ti when compared to the previous generation, but also still not good enough.
At 1080p, it's around 15-ish% faster than the 3060, comparable to the RX 7600 on rasterized games (the 7600 loses in raytracing), power consumption is comparable to 1060 and 1660 series.

The biggest issues for the 4060, 4060 Ti and 7600 are the 8GB vram, 128-bit bus width, and being pcie 4.0 x8 (on pcie 4.0 this isn't an issue, but for those in older motherboards that only support pcie 3.0, these cards will be limited to pcie 3.0 x8).

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Are the MGS games straight ports of the of the old versions or have they done any improvements to them to justify the 60€ price tag?
MGS1 is up in the air. We don't know what they're doing with that one.

Konami have said MGS2 and MGS3 are ports of the HD Collection version - so I assume the Xbox 360 version as that one was made for controllers that don't have pressure sensitive buttons (aka all the consoles available right now).

The 2 NES games are likely running on a rebranded NES emulator, the 2 MSX games likewise with an MSX emulator.

In my view, so long as MGS2 & 3 run at at 4K and 60fps without any obvious stupidity, and that MGS1 doesn't do anything to taint the experience of the original (doesn't need to be 4K - it just needs to run nicely and control well) I'll be happy with the price they're asking. £50 is reasonable for 3 of the greatest games ever made from the 90s and early 00s.

The way I'm looking at it is ~£20 each for MGS2 and MGS3, £10 for MGS1 and the rest is just bonus content thrown in. Those are reasonable prices if you were gonna buy all three anyway.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Out of early access today. Going to pick it up after work.

This is getting crazy-good reviews so far and I've had it on my Wishlist for months.

It all looks so Day One.

Then I saw footage that had button-mashing to reel in harpooned fish. And frantic Cook, Serve, Delicious-styled minigames when you tend bar in the evenings.

What ultimately put me off is there's ZERO Accessibility options and no Difficulty Select when starting a new game.

Now I'm in a bit of a holding pattern to see just how egregious these elements are.

I just wanted a laid-back Exploration / Tycoon Management experience with great story hooks. And while it is all that, the QTEs layered on top with no alt. gameplay solutions makes it a bit of a non-starter for me.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
MGS1 is up in the air. We don't know what they're doing with that one.

Konami have said MGS2 and MGS3 are ports of the HD Collection version - so I assume the Xbox 360 version as that one was made for controllers that don't have pressure sensitive buttons (aka all the consoles available right now).

The 2 NES games are likely running on a rebranded NES emulator, the 2 MSX games likewise with an MSX emulator.

In my view, so long as MGS2 & 3 run at at 4K and 60fps without any obvious stupidity, and that MGS1 doesn't do anything to taint the experience of the original (doesn't need to be 4K - it just needs to run nicely and control well) I'll be happy with the price they're asking. £50 is reasonable for 3 of the greatest games ever made from the 90s and early 00s.

The way I'm looking at it is ~£20 each for MGS2 and MGS3, £10 for MGS1 and the rest is just bonus content thrown in. Those are reasonable prices if you were gonna buy all three anyway.
I've been wanting the MGS games on Steam for way too long to balk at the price. That being said, it's going to sting if the ports aren't at least decent. I don't even expect anything insane, just basic arbitrary resolution support and at least some AA options. Uncapped framerate would be nice but I can live with 60fps and I don't expect a change in aspect ratio.

Reactions: C-Dub and LEANIJA

PhaZZe

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
anyone here in steam beta (tried without the beta) has problems with remote play together? it always closes and i cant play with my brother :(

yesterday update fixed!

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
This is getting crazy-good reviews so far and I've had it on my Wishlist for months.

It all looks so Day One.

Then I saw footage that had button-mashing to reel in harpooned fish. And frantic Cook, Serve, Delicious-styled minigames when you tend bar in the evenings.

What ultimately put me off is there's ZERO Accessibility options and no Difficulty Select when starting a new game.

Now I'm in a bit of a holding pattern to see just how egregious these elements are.

I just wanted a laid-back Exploration / Tycoon Management experience with great story hooks. And while it is all that, the QTEs layered on top with no alt. gameplay solutions makes it a bit of a non-starter for me.

Looks like it's the most talk about complaint on the steam forums. I'll be surprised if they don't add the option since the game is out of EA now.

I always turn on the option to hold instead of mash now in every game that has it.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
MGS 3 on PC and possibly RDR1 on PC? What a year to be a PC gamer man

I read on the Gaming and leaks subreddit that apparently the Korea Rating for the new RDR1 now indicates that there's going to be dismemberment, which apparently the original 2010 release didn't have but RDR2 did have. So now the speculation is that they're remaking RDR1 with RDR2 graphics. My body is so ready

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Interesting to see Steam Achievements being listed on the MGS1 page. The game never had achievements or trophies. I wonder if this could just be because of the old MG games being bundled together and they have the achievements. Or maybe just an oversight by Konami because the collection as a whole has them for the most part.

But yea even looking at the Legacy and HD collections from the PS360....The achievements/trophies were only in for MGS2 and MGS3.

I read on the Gaming and leaks subreddit that apparently the Korea Rating for the new RDR1 now indicates that there's going to be dismemberment, which apparently the original 2010 release didn't have but RDR2 did have. So now the speculation is that they're remaking RDR1 with RDR2 graphics. My body is so ready
Would be great news. I've been wanting to replay RDR2 but the game is so long. If they really announce this I am definitely replaying it as there is so much stuff I didn't do or see in my 1st playthrough.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
And we've got Atlus doing day one releases, too.

At this point it seems like Vanillaware is the last major holdout. Other than that, all I can think of are specific games and series like Kingdom Hearts and Silent Hill. Hopefully the latter will get the Master Collection treatment in the near future. I'm cautiously optimistic for MGS4. Who knows what the fuck Square-Enix is even thinking, though...

Interesting to see Steam Achievements being listed on the MGS1 page. The game never had achievements or trophies. I wonder if this could just be because of the old MG games being bundled together and they have the achievements. Or maybe just an oversight by Konami because the collection as a whole has them for the most part.

But yea even looking at the Legacy and HD collections from the PS360....The achievements/trophies were only in for MGS2 and MGS3.
Yeah, I'm really curious about that. If they really all have achievements, then this suggests brand new ports for MGS1 and the MSX games. I could be wrong here but I don't think achievements would be possible if they were just dumped into an emulation wrapper. I guess it could be stuff like "launch Metal Gear Solid for the first time", though... lol. But the MSX games being included with MGS1 instead of MGS3 suggests that they played around with the source code at least a little.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Apr 17, 2019
Connecticut, USA
steamcommunity.com

You can actually see the achievement count on your Steam profile page, but not the details. MG1&2 has 12 achievements, MGS1 has 19, and MGS2/MGS3 each have 51 achievements. Also interesting is that MGS2/3 remastered only had 46 trophies each on PS3 so this may be a new set for those too.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Yeah, I'm really curious about that. If they really all have achievements, then this suggests brand new ports for MGS1 and the MSX games. I could be wrong here but I don't think achievements would be possible if they were just dumped into an emulation wrapper. I guess it could be stuff like "launch Metal Gear Solid for the first time", though... lol. But the MSX games being included with MGS1 instead of MGS3 suggests that they played around with the source code at least a little.
It's possible, I think. Their recent collection all have achievements and you can even extract the roms from Castlevania Advance Collection.

Some emulator support trophies for the original games, which by the way makes it a fun way to play retro games. Although the amount of it is pretty silly for me. Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation)

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
You can actually see the achievement count on your Steam profile page, but not the details. MG1&2 has 12 achievements, MGS1 has 19, and MGS2/MGS3 each have 51 achievements. Also interesting is that MGS2/3 remastered only had 46 trophies each on PS3 so this may be a new set for those too.

I wonder if 19 is all new MGS1 only achievments or does that include the 12 from the old bundled games. If that only leaves 7 new ones its probably just simple defeat boss fight type of stuff. But hey even if they took the lazy way its still better than nothing. There is a lot of easter eggs and backtracking for MGS1 tho so it would be incredible if they made 19 unique/clever cheevos for it.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
It's possible, I think. Their recent collection all have achievements and you can even extract the roms from Castlevania Advance Collection.

Some emulator support trophies for the original games, which by the way makes it a fun way to play retro games. Although the amount of it is pretty silly for me. Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation)
Yeah, good point. Looking at the Castlevania Anniversary Collection, it's pretty much how I said. Every single achievement is "Play each game" and "Complete X game" and the likes. So the actual content of the achievement lists should be fairly telling here. A normal list with achievements involving actual in-game stuff would be a good indicator that it's a brand new port. It would be weird for the games to each have their own lists but for MG1/2 and MGS1 to only have have basic stuff like "Started the game", "Completed the game"...

Well, this is a good sign. :blobeyes:

Reactions: QFNS and BO7AMMOOD

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Since we are talking about MGS and anime... where does MGS fall on the anime scale?
MGS1-3 is the good type of anime. But then MGS4 happened and it turned into the bad type. And tbh it dragged down all the other anime with it. Its all been downhill ever since.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

AEW FIght Forever has 62 on Top Critic Average and 35% recommended.

Ouch.
Meh, good enough for me.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018

I hope Twin Snakes is in Vol.2
Now that we know we're getting the original in Vol. 1, I honestly also hope they include Twin Snakes in a future volume. Its weirdness alone is enough to justify preserving it lol. My only fear was that we'd be getting Twin Snakes instead of the ps1 version. That would've been criminal. But if the shitty NES versions are fair game, then what the hell? Go crazy, make this as comprehensive as possible. Include everything.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I'll definitely grab the MGS games at some point.
Well, highly likely, probably. If the ports are absolute ass, then I probably won't bother.

Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.