Community MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
who the fuck even knows why they do anything - it's ubi, could be anything, or nothing at all :p
Square Enix Janitor, having recently taken over the duties to maintain Ubisofts Steam store page: Guys, I accidently delisted this old game, Assassin Cry Relivation or something, ring any bells? Do you really need it on Steam?
Ubisoft employee #1: Wasnt that a Far Cry expansion? Far Cry 4: Kyrat Revolution, I think?
Ubisoft employee #2: I think it was Rainbox Six Ravens Extrustion?
Ubisoft employee #3: That, or Prince of Persia Relubation, I think it was a DLC for Warriors in the Sand?
All together: Either way its probably fine.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Honestly, I'm just doom posting. I hope it'll have the same extensive mod support they've always had.

Well yes, but if you told them they could earn $5 more if they didn't support mods then half their board of directors would be jumping at the idea.
Luckily the entire way Bethesda games are built makes stopping "free mods" impossible. The "base game" is a mod, update patches are mods, DLC expansions are mods. That's how the .esm format works. Look into Skyrim's Data folder and at the bottom you will see "Skyrim.esm" and "Update.esm". That's Skyrim and its most recent patch. Every mod is loaded in the same way, hell that's how Nehrim and Enderal work (they load their own .esm instead of Oblivion's or Skyrim's making them "total conversions"). The spaghetti code the Creation Engine is built on makes it impossible for them to change this fact
To tp it off, the "official modding tools" are the same program the devs themselves used to create the game. There is no reverse enginering needed: you load the .esm and you're ready to alter the game how you see fit

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019

Ms what about release games?
At this point only seems they are acquiring studios and their IPs to avoid those games appear on other platforms instead of release games for its console.
Seems 90s windows era and episodes like media player devs xD or some other known cases.
To be fair, this covers almost all the major third party devs/pubs and many prestigious indies, so I'm pretty sure Sony and most of the big video game companies have similar watchlists with similar names on them.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
God fucking damn it. If this means no DLSS 3 (or 2) support I fully expect shit performance on PC day 1. The fact that the game is locked a 30fps doesn't make it better
Isn't it likely Starfield will be more CPU limited than GPU limited?

Reactions: QFNS

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
The combat was a severe weak spot for me the whole time - if I could have disabled enemies after the end to just explore more I might have actually done that.

All that said, I'm interested to see what their next iteration does
The Deadly Transmission upgrade lets you send out a signal that stops enemy respawn in the zone(s) of your choosing.

And if you still want to farm mana after the fact, there's an upgrade that reverses this effect!

Reactions: lashman

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
To be fair, this covers almost all the major third party devs/pubs and many prestigious indies, so I'm pretty sure Sony and most of the big video game companies have similar watchlists with similar names on them.
The one I'm more worried about is SEGA.
Microsoft has been wanting to securely enter the Japanese market for a very long time. Although SEGA is a much larger company than it seems, as it not only has the video game market but also the arcade, amusement parks, and other market diversification, it's difficult to know how much it would cost Microsoft to buy the entire Sammy Sega Holdings conglomerate, but I see them capable of doing it.
Microsoft has had a good relationship with SEGA since the beginning of Dreamcast with Windows CE, the first Xbox controller, and the number of exclusives that were released for Microsoft's first console -JSR, Outrun 2, Crazy Taxi, etc..- Although the relationship cooled down a bit afterwards, with the acquisition of SEGA, Microsoft would not only gain the classic licenses of the blue company or RGG Studio but also Atlus. Of of the greatest movements -from their pov- to enter japanese market.
(Or in the West, Creative Assembly - all the Total War games.)
A few years ago, I would have seen it as impossible, but after the latest ZeniMax acquisition, I see everything as possible now, even though it sucks to see how most companies hardly release any games after being acquired.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
The Deadly Transmission upgrade lets you send out a signal that stops enemy respawn in the zone of your choosing.

And if you still want to farm mana after the fact, there's an upgrade that reverses this effect!
Yea, I did that as I went through as a priority (it was implemented before I got very far at all), but you still have to kill the monsters in the first place. The combat was just, IMO, bad, and got pretty boring after the first couple hours, and I did everything I could to avoid it or make it as fast as possible because I liked exploring and gathering stuff and the puzzles. I have 50 hours in the game so clearly I was willing to put up with it, but the only way I'd reinstall at this point is if there was a button/setting to just kill all monsters permanently immediately. Having combat in a zombie game makes sense but in a game as large as Dysmantle it really needed to be more fun.

It looks like the next game is going to be fairly different all around, just based on the features they're listing, so I'm hoping combat with either be less often, or optional, or better, or all 3.

Reactions: Aaron D.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Isn't it likely Starfield will be more CPU limited than GPU limited?
Probably, but DLSS 3 would still help in those cases, right? I've seen people's framerate skyrocket when modding DLSS3 into Jedi Survivor, a famously CPU-bound game.

On another note, I'm like super fucking salty about the fact that as soon as I upgraded my GPU (from a 1080 to a 4070) now all of a sudden every damn video game that releases is a CPU hog. I need a 5800x3d Asap lol.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Microsoft has been wanting to securely enter the Japanese market for a very long time. Although SEGA is a much larger company than it seems, as it not only has the video game market but also the arcade, amusement parks, and other market diversification, it's difficult to know how much it would cost Microsoft to buy the entire Sammy Sega Holdings conglomerate, but I see them capable of doing it.
Microsoft has had a good relationship with SEGA since the beginning of Dreamcast with Windows CE, the first Xbox controller, and the number of exclusives that were released for Microsoft's first console -JSR, Outrun 2, Crazy Taxi, etc..- Although the relationship cooled down a bit afterwards, with the acquisition of SEGA, Microsoft would not only gain the classic licenses of the blue company or RGG Studio but also Atlus. Of of the greatest movements -from their pov- to enter japanese market.
A few years ago, I would have seen it as impossible, but after the latest ZeniMax acquisition, I see everything as possible now, even though it sucks to see how most companies hardly release any games after being acquired.
The internal MS email talks about MS wanting only the SEGA gaming divisions, but I just don't see Sammy being willing to sell the SEGA side, since it's roughly half of SEGA Sammy's revenue, they would lose the global reach that they have currently, would lose the SEGA IPs, and would lose the SEGA brand power (which is important enough for them to have placed first in the merged name, despite Sammy being the company that acquired SEGA, and not the other way around).

I think the current partnerships between MS and SEGA is probably the most that MS is able to do when it comes to SEGA.

Reactions: Censored

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019

Well, between SEGA's complex structure plus its extra baggage with other businesses and branches, along with the whole Activision thing, I think Microsoft's hands will be tied for a few years at least as far as big studio acquisitions are concerned.

Part of me is optimistic because realistically, between the fact that all Microsoft acquisitions are now going to be really scrutinised and that there are much simpler acquisition targets than SEGA, that plus SEGA itself is a powerhouse within Sammy, both in influence and revenue would make a buyout pretty hard to make it happen.

But on the other hand SEGA has some strengths that Microsoft has been looking for and talking about for years:
-Presence in the Japanese market.
-Established and famous IPs.
-Good presence in the PC market.

So while I don't think any SEGA buyout is going to happen anytime soon with all these Activision deal still in the air, I agree that Microsoft buying SEGA would be a pretty hard blow for me and for the industry in general. If you allow a more foul expression, "estariamos jodidos" :face-with-cold-sweat:

Reactions: Censored

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
Luckily the entire way Bethesda games are built makes stopping "free mods" impossible.
To tp it off, the "official modding tools" are the same program the devs themselves used to create the game. There is no reverse enginering needed: you load the .esm and you're ready to alter the game how you see fit
They said SF and TESVI use the "Creation Engine 2"; it's probably marketing speech for "we finally fixed some bugs dating from the Morrowind days", but in the event that it is a major rework, they may have completely rethought the toolchain....

I can't really bring myself to believe BS can "completely rethink" anything, but it's possible.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I think it's pretty clear at this point that CD Projekt made great games despite its terrible management, not because of it, so it's not surprising that the CEO thinks it's all just the medias fault or something. Zero introspection. Sounds like they the developers there worked hard to fix a lot of things with the DLC, though.
What he says to the gaming press and what he actually thinks are most likely two separate things.
Isn't that a streaming-only thing? Why would it be $300?
Sony Pony tax.
(Or it has second, hidden GPU on the board that will be enabled in a firmware update half a year later that will let it play PS5 games natively)

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
You promised open world Deus Ex and we barely got GTA.
the funniest thing is that for the majority of people, this probably happened backwards
😂
wonder why

well, anyway, it said that the sony streaming handheld thing is gonna be $300
I mean, I saw a ton of people hoping for $150 after the reveal and I was like "what are people smoking".

Genuinely don't expect this to be lower than $250. $300 tracks with my initial guess, although who knows at this point in time.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I think it's pretty clear at this point that CD Projekt made great games despite its terrible management, not because of it, so it's not surprising that the CEO thinks it's all just the medias fault or something. Zero introspection. Sounds like they the developers there worked hard to fix a lot of things with the DLC, though.
That statement was not made by CEO but by their PR guy, and in fact it is a tiny part of a large article where the guy saying it shows a lot of introspection. I generally recommend reading entire things and not just clickbait snippets.

For the love of God CDPR your game got removed from PSN and refunded to hell and back on Xbox. And yes you went from hero to zero after hyping something for years and then not delivering. You promised open world Deus Ex and we barely got GTA.
That's funny, I found Cyberpunk to be much closer to Deus Ex (specifically the Eidos take on Deus Ex) than to GTA. It was Mankind Divided-esque, but in huge open city instead of small hub (and there is a reason no other game exists like it). I remember reading extremely detailed preview on gamestar.de few months before launch, where the journalist was very specifically writing not to expect GTA because the open world systems and AI are not like in GTA and the game's focus is on its missions, while the open world serves as connective tissue between them, to enhance immersion (as opposed to being sandbox playground). Which was indeed the case. With my expectations set properly, and playing fairly bug-free PC version, I had no problem enjoying it for good 120 hours.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
That statement was not made by CEO but by their PR guy, and in fact it is a tiny part of a large article where the guy saying it shows a lot of introspection. I generally recommend reading entire things and not just clickbait snippets.
While the things he says in regard to changes sounds good, it's pretty easy to say how you have now fixed all the issues, the proof lies in the pudding, so to speak. And the quote regarding the state of the game at launch is really dumb.
And yeah, I misread the tweet, it says clearly "comms boss", and I completely missed the first word, so I assumed it was the CEO.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
wonder why

well, anyway, it said that the sony streaming handheld thing is gonna be $300
Sony in this day and age fleecing their customers?

I’m generally not a fan of the “arrogant Sony” thing but it kinda rings true. But that’s true of most of the games industry: one strong generation and they think they can pull a load of bullshite.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Regarding the 300 dollar price point of the Sony Streaming Device: they probably think their products need to carry a "premium" price to sell. Its a weird logic but we've seen it work: some people are more likely to spend more on something thinking higher price=better product.
Just look at Apple and their overpriced hardware – the only reason they cost what they cost is the Apple Logo Tax; and in this case, it feels like its the Sony Brand Tax, as knurek also stated.

I just finished the Lies of P demo – its great in my opinion. Leaning more towards Sekiro than Bloodborne, with a weaker dodge roll than I'd like and reliance on perfect parries which Im too slow for, but even then I just liked it a lot. Looks great, runs great, feels like an interesting world, every character I met was neat...
It was also quite a lot of content for a demo, I spent 6 hours with it and levelled to 44. Looking forward to the full game! (and I hope the save carries over, but I, not counting on it)

regarding Cyberpunk: I had said this before, but I liked the game a lot (clocked approx 145 hours; finished it with two different chars). It did of course also have problems on launch, no denying that, but it ran mostly fine for me, thankfully.
But even with those launch problems I had a TON of fun playing it. And to me it also felt closer to Eidos-Deus Ex than GTA, but in truth it was a bit of a mishmash; and I know peoples expectations were just way too high for anything it could ever deliver; and everybody, including CDPR was overhyping it (and had massive trust in their abilities after The Witcher 3). They couldve learned from other overhyped+underwhelming games that that is a veeery risky thing to do.
I would agree with the notion that the public opinion can switch fairly quickly and massively; going from overhype to "worst thing ever" can happen so rapidly these days. It was a great game in my opinion, for what it was. It wasnt the Second Coming as some imagined, it wasnt the crime against humanity some others claimed it was.

I also finished Amnesia The Bunker recently. While I loved the original game, nothing with the Amnesia label released afterwards quite came close. Machine for Pigs is best forgotten, and Rebirth had its moments but was ulimately a tad boring.
The Bunker has a cool setting, some cool gameplay (and having actual gameplay is something that was severly lacking from Frictional games in the ....past decade, I'd say) ... but it also has a couple of core mechanics I didnt like: Having to find oil to power a generator to keep everything lit up just resulted in more running back and forth, and the tension it was supposed to bring (no light means the monster could roam, because "the fucker hates light") didnt work for me since Im not scared in these games.

The monster doesnt have any effect on me, its just a nuisance when it stalks you or kills you and I just wanna explore & collect stuff.
Having to find explosives to blow up doors to get items/clues also got boring fast, and it altogether just didnt work for me, but I know some will enjoy the gameplay mix.
The touted freedom to "try out stuff, it will most likely work" btw mostly boils down to "how to break that door" (usually with a brick, a grenade or the shotgun). Certain tools can be used to use different entries (for some doors), but the whole "Immersive Sim" aspect felt very limited, at least in my opinion.

I dunno. I still liked it, but after kinda rushing through it the first playthrough, i decided to install two mods: unlimited light, and unlimited ammo. Both helped to alleviate the gripes I had with the game and made it enjoyable. i could roam around freely without having to stumble in the dark, I could just shoo the monster away everytime it showed up to annoy me (by shooting it ;) ), and could play it the way I felt made sense ;) I know thats not what Frictional envisioned, but hey, thats what mods are for :p
Side note: I felt the same about Mr X in RE2R and Mr X II in RE3R (and other unkillable stalker-monsters pestering you in games); they felt like a bothersome nuisance rather than terrifying. Its obvious when they catch you, they kill you, you have to play that bit again... like I said, it doesnt work for me.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
I just finished the Lies of P demo – its great in my opinion. Leaning more towards Sekiro than Bloodborne, with a weaker dodge roll than I'd like and reliance on perfect parries which Im too slow for, but even then I just liked it a lot. Looks great, runs great, feels like an interesting world, every character I met was neat...
It was also quite a lot of content for a demo, I spent 6 hours with it and levelled to 44. Looking forward to the full game! (and I hope the save carries over, but I, not counting on it)
Lies of P is soooo good. And the fact that the demos is that long gives me hope for a truly special full game release.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
As a comparison this is what he got from asking kids from elementary to highschool.

Xbox market share in Japan is almost non-existent. Nintendo is in charge. And then in second place is a mix of Steam/PC and PS.

As of right now Steam still has a larger market share than the PS5 it seems. Which is why devs still keep on making PS4 ports of games. Twice as many kids use PS compared to PC? And when it comes to young adults they seem to prefer playing on PC.

10 years ago things were very different, people did sort of know what Steam was but didn't really use it. Later on Steam would fix some of those issue that people had and the user count rose in Japan. And you could say that the college students that are a part of that 80% are people that grew up with Steam after the changes that Valve made in order to buy games, in addition to content creation becoming more popular. The rise of Vtubers and all of that other stuff.

The whole PS5 thing is an unusual situation in Japan and as for making "cutting edge stuff" isn't that mainly just what a few Japanese companies do? Some of the more medium/smaller studios like Cyberconnect do make some nice stuff, but even if they had a bigger budget would they be making "oh wow" games? There games are fun and that helps sell games.

It's especially strange considering how the whole cutting edge thing is meanly meant more so that there game can stand out when being sold abroad seeing how Japan sales are not enough to sustain a video game company (outside of mobile) in Japan anymore.

That's my interpretation of the thing, sort of.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hear about PS5.
Lizard brain : I should buy a PS5.
Me : But why ?

I have a problem, I think I’m still in a PS2 mode. Then I look at the actual release calendar on PS5 and those two things couldn’t be further apart.
Switch being sorta the new PS2, yeah, maybe. PS5 is embarassing.

But go convince my fucking lizard brain !

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

From the same thread :thinking-face: IMO this is a plus but not a must though
Weird to call out some of your potential workers as "pathetic". I assume most of those students simply game on the same laptops they need for uni anyway, which easily explains the 80% value. Students not being able to afford a new console, and games for it is not a surprise, least of all in Japan where tech stuff is crazy expensive to begin with. It's more baffling that the president of Cyberconnect2 is apparently unable to do this simple math in his head. "let them eat cake" and all that.

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia
How is he not wrong?

It's not like a console helps you with game development. Especially a PS5 or Switch, which you can't even use for development at all.
The only thing I think it can help with is you can understand how the console controls and feel? But ultimately that doesn't require you to own the console yourself if you can just borrow it.

Personally I think as long you are keeping up and learning about the features and specialty of each console that should be sufficient to offset not owning one of them

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
How is he not wrong?

It's not like a console helps you with game development. Especially a PS5 or Switch, which you can't even use for development at all.
Especially when so many developers started their careers as modders on PC games.
The only tiny comparison on console is Dreams, but that is like saying you are a web developer just because you can drag and drop tiles on a "build-your-own-webpage" website.

Status
Not open for further replies.