Community MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
And for all those who say: "it is just more work"; here is Nixxes dev answer
Yeah I hope no one ever took that excuse seriously. Once you've implemented one of the three, you've done 98% of the work of implementing the other two. They do more or less the same thing (just with different methods and quality), need more or less the same input, generate the same output, and fit in the same place in your rendering pipeline.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah I hope no one ever took that excuse seriously. Once you've implemented one of the three, you've done 98% of the work of implementing the other two. They do more or less the same thing (just with different methods and quality), need more or less the same input, generate the same output, and fit in the same place in your rendering pipeline.
I mean if develper excuse for not including DLSS and XeSS is "it's more work" then it is obvious why we are getting PC ports in bad states these days. And just to be clear this is not lazy dev post. I am just pointing out that something is going wrong inside studios when PC ports are in question when even simple things like implementing upscalers is too much work.

Reactions: lashman

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So Bethesda thought AMD announcement was a good thing and that has kind of backfired on them.

AMD went into an interview, they must have known they were going to get asked about excluding other technologies and the best answer their PR could up with is “No Comment”.

On more positive news, my playthrough of Stardew Valley continues. About 90hrs in. Need a few more Jumino Huts to automate my farm then I will start on my work with Ginger Island.

I carried on painting my Imperial Knight. Needs transfers, weathering and weapons. Will post something up when it is done.

Also started reading some light novels. Mainly Bofuri at the moment, mainly as I want to see how it continues after the second season of the anime. Got to say though, not a cheap hobby. About 150 to 200 pages but costs the same as a massive Stephen King novel. Guessing that’s down to the more niche nature.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Damage so far:

Sons Of The Forest
The Outlast Trials
Bendy and the Dark Revival
A Juggler's Tale
POSTAL Brain Damaged
Adios
Planet of Lana
A Space for the Unbound
Metal: Hellsinger
DREDGE
Resident Evil 4
STAR WARS Jedi: Survivor™
Somerville
The Gunk
Gungrave G.O.R.E
Super Magbot
Chorus
STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN
Narita Boy
Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey
Sifu

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So time to decide on one of the following:-

a) trawl through the wish list and see if there is anything that takes my fancy.
b) have a look at some of the games I have bought but still not played from the last 20 years of sales.
C) stick to playing FFXIV and Stardew Valley
D) all of the above

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
Did this turn out to be any good? I feel like I haven't heard people talk about it anywhere near as much as I did for Nioh.
Since i love Nioh and played a lot of Wo Long i figured i'd write something up:

Wo Long is good fun but a step or 2 down from Nioh 2 in pretty much every aspect, essentially its a cut down Nioh with some of those cuts just being questionable design decisions like the gear/inventory system, they somehow managed to make gear 20% less complex but 80% less meaningful....

The only thing it has going for it is Team Ninja knows how to make good feeling combat and the deflect/stamina system which essentially replaces the ki pulse/flux system to refill your stamina bar in between your attack strings. I really like it and i personally see it more as a sidegrade or even a slight upgrade from Nioh and it would've been awesome to use in a more complex combat system and not one where you're limited to 2 special moves per weapon coming from Niohs 10+.

It also doesn't have all that many great Bossfights... :( (thankfully the first DLC added a really great one)

If i had to give recommendations:

If the Nioh games were a 9 or 10 for you Wo Long could be something for you, otherwise skip.

If you tend to just play optimally/effectively to get through the game i'd say skip unless you really like parrying and its all you ever wanted to do (and you've played too much Sekiro already).

If you like learning enemy patterns however to then absolutely dunk on them and produce nonstop action highlight reels... there is some great fun to be had.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
-do believe is going to come to the Rockstar Launcher and shitty epic game store before Steam. Hopefully, I'm wrong about that tho.
Likely RGL first and then Steam and EGS at the same time after that, a la Grand Theft Auto collection.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
If art is about human self-expression and enjoyment, then how does it matter at all if some humans use AI tools to express themselves?
And how does that have any impact on whether some people can still not use those tools because they enjoy the traditional process of creating art, just like some people still can paint realistic portraits despite photography being a thing, or use a canvas rather than digital tools?

I don't think there is any conflict at all here with people who just enjoy doing art, because that is in no way affected. The conflict arises with being an artist as a profession, not art as a hobby.
See, that's the point I feel like some anti AI people get mixed up, I agree with you here. Individual people making AI art were never the problem, they'd never do things on a scale that would actively matter. My beef is and always been with companies, stuff like Stability AI who are actively making money from other people's work or companies looking to replace human creatives with AI.

I have absolutely no problem with AI generation of creative works existing - hell, its very useful for actual artists as is since you can use it as a tool for brainstorming ideas for your own art -, I just don't want it to be profitable because then it just turns into another cog in late stage capitalism, I want stuff like image scramblers that make it so my art can't be used as AI training without my consent if that's even possible, that kind of stuff.

Last edited:

spiel

Apr 17, 2019
Fine, Valve, you can have my stupid Steam Points for a profile background with cats :blobeyes:

Oh no, I have 12k left. The 2 cat avatars are going for 3k points each, the 3 x cat stickers are 1k each, the avatar frame is 2k. Someone who is good at the economy please help me

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

(a tweet about a Trails into Reverie review, praising our port, for the -- completely understandable -- Twitter deniers)

:steam_pigblanket:
Does Reverie auto-detect my CS IV save on the Steam Deck, or is it safer to launch a new game on Windows first? If I recall, there were some issues with this for Azure.

Reactions: QFNS

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

Holy hell P5R is the business.

I hard passed on it with a laugh when it launched on Steam at $60 USD. That was after having smashed the Add to Cart button the moment P4G dropped on Steam for $20. The P5R markup just felt insulting.

Turns out the joke was on me the whole time 'cause g/d P5R is glorious. The unabashed artistic bombast & spectacle just inspires a big dumb, goofy smile the whole time I'm playing.

Good times.

I legit feel like I'm being trolled.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Doom Eternal truly is Low Ammo Simulator

Old news, I know, but I only managed to get around to it now
The thing I have learned about Doom Eternal is that it isn't JUST a low ammo simulator, its a low EVERYTHING simulator. The game constantly puts the screws to you and really wants you to be doing the loop of the various abilities. Its well and stressfully balanced IMO.

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Just in case people didn't know there's one trading card for your discovery queue and you can buy a badge for the summer sale with points again.

Didn't notice it at first but there's stickers too when you browse by category.

Last edited:

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Doom Eternal truly is Low Ammo Simulator

Old news, I know, but I only managed to get around to it now
Yeah, it's a very satisfying loop.

Use all weapons to kill enemies > use the chainsaw on fodders to get ammo > repeat. All the while you're jumping all over the place and using your meathook to get away or getting close to enemies. Fun times. The DLC dials it up to 11.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

Anyone play Wanted Dead? Sounds fun to me, but man…what a polarizing game. Not sure where I’d fall on this.
I tested a pirated version of it (like 40 min of playtime) a while ago and enjoyed it a lot, it has many flaws, but for people who want chaotic, surreal, insanity who also enjoys jank, the game is for you.

I still feel like 50% off is still too high due to the high standard price. So I haven't bought it yet due to that.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Just fucking make a The Night of a Rabbit sequel, you could make one on 2% of Gollum budget and it would sell comparable.
I guess it's harder to excite investors to fund a 2D hand drawn point and click game these days, than it is to create a pitch around a super expensive license and the promise of a massive hit. it's just how the market functions

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
The thing I have learned about Doom Eternal is that it isn't JUST a low ammo simulator, its a low EVERYTHING simulator. The game constantly puts the screws to you and really wants you to be doing the loop of the various abilities. Its well and stressfully balanced IMO.
I've stopped playing after a few hours. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I got tired of the game pretty soon. The levels are way too long as well imo.

Perhaps I 'll pick it up later when I 'm done with Fallout 76.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Since i love Nioh and played a lot of Wo Long i figured i'd write something up:

Wo Long is good fun but a step or 2 down from Nioh 2 in pretty much every aspect, essentially its a cut down Nioh with some of those cuts just being questionable design decisions like the gear/inventory system, they somehow managed to make gear 20% less complex but 80% less meaningful....

The only thing it has going for it is Team Ninja knows how to make good feeling combat and the deflect/stamina system which essentially replaces the ki pulse/flux system to refill your stamina bar in between your attack strings. I really like it and i personally see it more as a sidegrade or even a slight upgrade from Nioh and it would've been awesome to use in a more complex combat system and not one where you're limited to 2 special moves per weapon coming from Niohs 10+.

It also doesn't have all that many great Bossfights... :( (thankfully the first DLC added a really great one)

If i had to give recommendations:

If the Nioh games were a 9 or 10 for you Wo Long could be something for you, otherwise skip.

If you tend to just play optimally/effectively to get through the game i'd say skip unless you really like parrying and its all you ever wanted to do (and you've played too much Sekiro already).

If you like learning enemy patterns however to then absolutely dunk on them and produce nonstop action highlight reels... there is some great fun to be had.
Thanks for the write-up! Sounds like I'd enjoy it then but should probably prioritize Nioh 2 first. Still waiting for it to drop below 40 bucks, which is looking unlikelier every time it goes on sale....

• This!
Reactions: fearthedawn

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Nocturne HD is one of the worst remasters out there but after applying the 60fps mod and the music fix it becomes decent and now I'm actually reminded of why this is one of my favorite games of all time.

• Gib
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Nocturne HD is one of the worst remasters out there but after applying the 60fps mod and the music fix it becomes decent and now I'm actually reminded of why this is one of my favorite games of all time.
What's wrong with the music? And how good is the 60fps mod? Any weird issues with the game logic?

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
What's wrong with the music? And how good is the 60fps mod? Any weird issues with the game logic?
The sound is super compressed but the mod replaces the tracks with much higher quality versions. It's not at 100% yet but most of the songs have been replaced.
As for the frame-rate, it's capped at 30fps and I was also getting horrendous screen tearing. With the mod it runs at a smooth 60fps and the screen tearing is gone. Of course you can force v-sync in other ways but the 60fps is great. The mod also enables ultra-wide support.
The mod also has a turbo mode which can be a god send.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com

Anyone play Wanted Dead? Sounds fun to me, but man…what a polarizing game. Not sure where I’d fall on this.
Its one of the most enjoyable "bad" games I've ever played - the videogame equivalent of a B movie. Incredibly weird sense of humor. Janky, but if the action clicks with you, you'll really love it despite the warts. Chaining kills through fools like a female John Wick!

I'd say the two hour Steam refund window is a solid time frame to assess whether its for you, give it a shot.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.