Community MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Jedi Survivor 25% off

From $90USD finally at $70 in the region I'm currently in, wow much discount !
:steam_pig_crylaughing:
The one I hate the most is seeing a 70$ title being 50% off (Forspoken). And its still a bad deal at 35$.

Its really 30% off but it comes with the feel of 50% off.

Reactions: inky and lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm too late to enter the AI discourse, but I'm a simple man, so I'll just put it in a simple term.

I prefer to see this kind of art

Rather than this kind of art

And especially not when the “artist” were trying to pass it off like “real” work.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I don't feel like buying anything on the sale. I have more than enough games to play until other I want get better discounts.

Also Alan Wake 2 marketing is going so well that their second behind the scenes video doesn't even have thread on Era.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Think I'm finally gonna get Nocturne for 13 euro at gamebillet. The music mod is at 75% and seems to have most of the important music covered.

• Eyes
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Also Alan Wake 2 marketing is going so well that their second behind the scenes video doesn't even have thread on Era.
You seem to follow AW2 a lot, are you interested in the game itself or just because Epic is pubbing it?

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
I'm too late to enter the AI discourse, but I'm a simple man, so I'll just put it in a simple term.

I prefer to see this kind of art

Rather than this kind of art

And especially not when the “artist” were trying to pass it off like “real” work.
Coward. I'll fap to both.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Obviously the copyright issues will need to be figured out, but (and this is where some people will vehemently disagree or even scream at me) I am not convinced that just because an AI model was trained on a given image (as one in billions) there should be any copyright claim by the author of that image on images generated by the model.
I haven't really seen people argue over that, but on that point I do agree with you. But at the same time, the owner of the model and whoever prompted the AI shouldn't have any copyright claim either.
Human artists also look at lots of images and then draw new ones based, among other things, on what they have seen before.
Humans and AI don't create in the same manner. We don't just base our work on things we have seen, but also on things we feel and experience. AI can only ever do the former and only via someone's input.
I think the situation is similar to portrait artists reacting to photography.
It's not just a matter of a more efficient way of doing something being created - that's what digital art was -, its companies creating programs that use people's own work against them, AI needs to be trained on existing works which were - most of the time - not given consent.
The argument is that the problem is not with technological tools that make humans capable of doing more. The problem is when the economic system results in the effect of those tools being negative for some people, despite them improving human productivity as a whole. And that it's myopic at best and selfish at worst to only recognize this when it applies to tools which affect some professions but not others, as if they are better and more deserving of protection.
Art is not about productivity! That's the whole problem!

Technology is meant to save us from meaningless, mechanical garbage, not stuff we actually enjoy doing. If efficiency is the only end goal, what is the point of living? What is this "more" that we are supposed to strive for once machines do everything?

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
AW2 is gonna get buried hard releasing around same time as new Spider-Man and Mario game.

Kinda feel bad for Remedy as I believe they announced release date first lol. But they should really consider moving the release date up or do a brief delay.

Larian was really smart in moving up BG3 today. There is no point in competing with a large game like Starfield which people will be playing for 100+ hours. And Armored Core VI is most likely gonna be a long game too with how great FromSoft is when it comes to replay value etc.

Reactions: Prodigy and lashman

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Besides buying the only way to get trading cards is discovery queue right?

Is there anything else they doing this sale?
If you visit a category page you can get a free sticker each day but I think those two things are it

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Regarding AI, I've given up arguing against it because I'm powerless to effect anything. But I'll say I think it's very sad that humans have chosen to surrender control of the creative arts to it before using it solve the labor tasks that make life a drain. :weary-face:

We're using it all wrong. Anybody and anything can do labor. Creativity and ingenuity is what separated us from the animals. Now we'll surrender it to the machines and just be meatbags that maintain them.

At the beginning of last year I was super happy to start learning Art for myself. I took my lessons very serious, especially with regards to character art and human anatomy. But with the explosion of AI art and the general apathy of the public, I've given up on learning art for myself. I feel that there is no longer a point. If there were any other artists just starting out who felt like me... It's very sad.

Anyway that's just my two cents. Pick it apart, tell me how I'm wrong. I've given up trying to push against it and just accepted it as inevitable.

Anyway...

Not a super huge haul but it'll keep me busy for a while.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Regarding AI, I've given up arguing against it because I'm powerless to effect anything. But I'll say I think it's very sad that humans have chosen to surrender control of the creative arts to it before using it solve the labor tasks that make life a drain. :weary-face:

We're using it all wrong. Anybody and anything can do labor. Creativity and ingenuity is what separated us from the animals. Now we'll surrender it to the machines and just be meatbags that maintain them.

At the beginning of last year I was super happy to start learning Art for myself. I took my lessons very serious, especially with regards to character art and human anatomy. But with the explosion of AI art and the general apathy of the public, I've given up on learning art for myself. I feel that there is no longer a point. If there were any other artists just starting out who felt like me... It's very sad.

Anyway that's just my two cents. Pick it apart, tell me how I'm wrong. I've given up trying to push against it and just accepted it as inevitable.

Anyway...

Not a super huge haul but it'll keep me busy for a while.
Tits, fighter and Murica, well balanced..

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
This is really sad to read. It was the other way around for me, AI art is so hollow and boring that it made me more fired up to learn and improve. Even if I can't make money with art in the future I wanna make sure I'm able to create things I enjoy.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021

According to this video, the whole Korean rating is a huge indicator that not only RDR1 remaster is coming, but is coming very soon! With past Rockstar titles, the average waiting time between Korean rating and release date (that's right, not announcement date, RELEASE DATE) is like 30 days. So I'd expect a trailer to drop in the next 2 weeks and maybe the game will release between August and September.

Now when it comes to PC, there's no doubt in my mind that this game is coming to PC and I also believe is going to be the same day as the console release (I believe this because is a remaster and not a new game, I still think that GTAVI is going to be a staggered release on PC like it always has been). However, I do believe is going to come to the Rockstar Launcher and shitty epic game store before Steam. Hopefully, I'm wrong about that tho.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

According to this video, the whole Korean rating is a huge indicator that not only RDR1 remaster is coming, but is coming very soon! With past Rockstar titles, the average waiting time between Korean rating and release date (that's right, not announcement date, RELEASE DATE) is like 30 days. So I'd expect a trailer to drop in the next 2 weeks and maybe the game will release between August and September.

Now when it comes to PC, there's no doubt in my mind that this game is coming to PC and I also believe is going to be the same day as the console release (I believe this because is a remaster and not a new game, I still think that GTAVI is going to be a staggered release on PC like it always has been). However, I do believe is going to come to the Rockstar Launcher and shitty epic game store before Steam. Hopefully, I'm wrong about that tho.
Honestly don't know what I want more.

For R* to dump an uprezzed version of the PS360 game which would be amazing for vanilla and preservation purposes...

or

Full on remake with RDR2 engine and assets.

Both options would be fine but my guess is they do a full on remake. Rockstar has two giant teams/operations. They had over 1000 people work on RDR2 so after they finished it I guess only like 75% of the people moved on to GTA6. The other people stayed on and remade the first RDR. They would easily be able to bundle the game accordingly with RDR2 as well and sell it full priced that way. And they could touch up the PS5/X/S versions as some type of half baked next gen game too.

If they were to do a simple remaster I can see it release very soon but if its a remake I think they will unveil around Gamescom and release at end of the year. Or they unveil at TGA and release sometime early next year. It would be a good title to release later in the year like Nov/Dec. Either way its very exciting. I never played it and RDR2 is easily one of the best games in the last decade so the continuation would be very hype.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
So I've been playing the MW 2019 Reboot lately. Just the campaign. And I'm gonna be honest, I actually miss this kinda stuff? Like don't get me wrong, it's not peak writing, it's campy, and action movie like. But man... We really don't get a lot of just straight up Arcade shooters these days with this kinda budget. First most AAA Shooters have lately opted to ditch campaigns or severely pair them down as just MP tutorials. Others have chosen to go all in as GAAS or MTX hell. It got me thinking that back in the 360/PS3 how fed up/bored everyone was with them... But now we're kinda missing them right? They kinda slid out of production just like a large chunk of third person shooters. We haven't had a Gears of War, Vanquish, Spec Ops: The Line in years... :weary-face:

No battlefield Campaign with 2042, no Bad Companies, no Medal of Honors... Never thought I'd say it, but I actually miss the 360/PS3 days of releases and story games. Especially arcade shooters.

Am I alone?

This is really sad to read. It was the other way around for me, AI art is so hollow and boring that it made me more fired up to learn and improve. Even if I can't make money with art in the future I wanna make sure I'm able to create things I enjoy.
At first I was like this, I guess riled up and motivated... But like even if I got good, somebody would just come along and rip my shit into a machine and start replicating my style in seconds while I sit there like a potato spending days on a piece.

Over time I saw how all my favorite artists on Social media were just being copied and more and more people started to accept AI Art... It just slowly bled my motivation to death.

I do hope you'll pick it up again at some point though, watching your progress on Twitter was great, and I'd definitely would like to see more of it. :flare_smirk:
Sometimes when i'm bored i pick up my tablet pen and start doodling or practicing my anatomy exercises or gesture drawing. But I sit there and my brain gets locked into an internal debate over how pointless it is and soon enough I find myself deleting drafts and looking for other things to do.

I was having a lot of fun studying the works of Seishoujo, he was my favorite artist to study and I really wanted to put my own twist on his style. I studied fashion artwork and stuff too, thinking about all the cool clothes I could design to put people in. I studied firearms, and tacticool gear. I had like a plan in my head for cultivating my own style.

Now I look at these things and all I can think about is how human hands aren't needed anymore. It'll take years to master anything and I wonder if my time is wasted... A machine can do it in seconds now. And especially as I was early in my studies, the machine's output would always outshine mine. I shouldn't look at it that way, Art isn't always a competition so much as an expression but people these days... I dunno. I just feel so worthless when I sit and try to study art anymore. :cry:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Art is not about productivity! That's the whole problem!

Technology is meant to save us from meaningless, mechanical garbage, not stuff we actually enjoy doing. If efficiency is the only end goal, what is the point of living? What is this "more" that we are supposed to strive for once machines do everything?
If art is about human self-expression and enjoyment, then how does it matter at all if some humans use AI tools to express themselves?
And how does that have any impact on whether some people can still not use those tools because they enjoy the traditional process of creating art, just like some people still can paint realistic portraits despite photography being a thing, or use a canvas rather than digital tools?

I don't think there is any conflict at all here with people who just enjoy doing art, because that is in no way affected. The conflict arises with being an artist as a profession, not art as a hobby.

Starting the Steam Sale with a few JRPG bangers which will probably sit in my backlog for a loooooong time. I still need to finish Trails of Cold Steel 1. :negative-blob:
Astlibra is a pretty wild ride. I'm now almost 60 hours in and still not completely done. Some of the boss battles on Hard are getting a bit silly.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
So I've been playing the MW 2019 Reboot lately. Just the campaign. And I'm gonna be honest, I actually miss this kinda stuff? Like don't get me wrong, it's not peak writing, it's campy, and action movie like. But man... We really don't get a lot of just straight up Arcade shooters these days with this kinda budget. First most AAA Shooters have lately opted to ditch campaigns or severely pair them down as just MP tutorials. Others have chosen to go all in as GAAS or MTX hell. It got me thinking that back in the 360/PS3 how fed up/bored everyone was with them... But now we're kinda missing them right? They kinda slid out of production just like a large chunk of third person shooters. We haven't had a Gears of War, Vanquish, Spec Ops: The Line in years... :weary-face:

No battlefield Campaign with 2042, no Bad Companies, no Medal of Honors... Never thought I'd say it, but I actually miss the 360/PS3 days of releases and story games. Especially arcade shooters.

Am I alone?
Agreed! i've recently played MW 2019 and like it a lot. Classic shooty shooty action. Its propted me to go through the origionals, Ive done COD4MW and just last night finished MW2 (no controller support, argh).

Love these games for the mindless action fun and yeah you are right, the single player shooty campaign seems to be dead.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
AMD gets another opportunity to clear things up regarding FSR exclusivity and Starfield backlash and what they do? They do this

While I think it's rather obvious at this point that AMD is blocking DLSS in their sponsored games, in all fairness it's not always trivial to talk about the stipulations in contracts between two companies without some prior notice. That said, Nvidia managed to already confirm that they don't block any competing technologies in their sponsored games, so clearly it's not impossible either.

Reactions: QFNS and lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
We really are speed running Kenny Who.

Kenny Who is a reccuring character in Judge Dredd. An artist who nearly got hired in a comic book company, only for them to decide it is cheaper to AI art his drawing style. 90’s story.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
While I think it's rather obvious at this point that AMD is blocking DLSS in their sponsored games, in all fairness it's not always trivial to talk about the stipulations in contracts between two companies without some prior notice. That said, Nvidia managed to already confirm that they don't block any competing technologies in their sponsored games, so clearly it's not impossible either.
I mean when you are on a hot chair you need to do something and not pour more oil to help fire.

And for all those who say: "it is just more work"; here is Nixxes dev answer

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
We may need to start clarifying Twitter embeds with screenshots or copy and paste.

Looks like they’ve mandated you need to login to view tweets now, so whenever a post just has a tweet embed to content, that’s basically excluding anyone who doesn’t have a Twitter account or doesn’t want to log into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.