Community MetaSteam | June 2024 - Let's conquer this kingdom with some pure hearts

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
We're in trouble if we have to rely on xbox to provide megatons, something they've historically rarely ever had lol.
They acquired so much of the industry in recent years.... that mathematically speaking they are the only company in position to reveal several big AAA games on a yearly basis.

Downside is anytime Xbox shows off a game/trailer...it may be years again before we hear about it. Sometimes games don't even see the light of day lol.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I'm still not sure how you can say such obviously, objectively, easily demonstrably wrong things with a straight face.

When you look at the break-out "surprise" hits of the past few years in gaming, then the vast majority of them have, in fact, been in the indie to AA space. While the vast majority of AAA+ games only manage to hold on to the same, sizeable but aging, audience that they therefore seek to extract ever-more money per game from (the same stagnating audience which is way too invested in these events and gets upset about their content). And based on this reality you claim that no one gets excited about the games that frequently manage to succeed beyond all expectations?
Another thing is, that the AAA warriors point to tens of millions of sales of AAA releases and claim that there is nothing to worry about.
Setting aside that some Indies sell more than that...

Yes, some AAA franchises are selling tens of millions.
What people forget or try to ignore is:
They are selling to the same audience as before, there are just fewer AAA releases overall!

If you have 10 AAA titles selling 5 million units, you have 50 million sales in 2008
If you have 4 titles selling 10 million units, you have 40 million sales in 2024

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
The game people want most out of any showcase nowadays is Silksong, an indie game.
I agree some people want to hear news of that and some only because it's become a long running meme like bloodborne. That's not what most are tuning in to these shows to see though.

• Toucan
Reactions: fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I agree some people want to hear news of that and some only because it's become a long running meme like bloodborne. That's not what most are tuning in to these shows to see though.
What on earth, wanting Silksong is a meme? Wanting a remaster or remake of Bloodborne is a meme?

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Silksong is going to sell several millions, so much for a meme :toucan:
I mean there have been plenty of streamer bait games that have done exactly that while being a meme but that's not what I meant. I meant that people have been saying silksong will be at every event for years now just like bloodborne. They've turned it into a meme.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
A few hours to go for the MS showcase. Feel free to put your last-minute predictions here.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
I think Derrick01 is right for a specific part of the audience, namely the AAA gamer. We used to call them "mainstream" but I feel that these last few years the schism between that audience and the rest of us has grown wider. Now I think that there are three distinct market segments:

1. The core gamer who plays indie, AA, AAA and everything in between. I don't think that someone who only plays AAA can be considered a core gamer, much like someone who only watches blockbusters wouldn't be considered a cinephile.

2. The AAA gamer who plays huge expensive games almost exclusively. A big part of Resetera's console-focused userbase belongs here. These people will be disappointed by anything that isn't console first party or a megabudget 3D game from a big publisher. I think these are the people Derrick talks about, these are the people that will say "there's nothing to play" while the rest of us are drowning in great games and can't find time for all of them.

3. The new mainstream. These people will play anything that is popular or a viral hit regardless of production level and budget. It can be a huge game like Fortnite or an indie sensation like Among Us.

The funny thing is that core gamers and the new mainstream have more in common than the AAA gamer segment which has become somewhat of a bubble. Both core gamers and the new mainstream are likely to play a game like Vampire Survivors, while the "AAA or bust" people will snub it.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I think Derrick01 is right for a specific part of the audience, namely the AAA gamer. We used to call them "mainstream" but I feel that these last few years the schism between that audience and the rest of us has grown wider. Now I think that there are three distinct market segments:

1. The core gamer who plays indie, AA, AAA and everything in between. I don't think that someone who only plays AAA can be considered a core gamer, much like someone who only watches blockbusters wouldn't be considered a cinephile.

2. The AAA gamer who plays huge expensive games almost exclusively. A big part of Resetera's console-focused userbase belongs here. These people will be disappointed by anything that isn't console first party or a megabudget 3D game from a big publisher. I think these are the people Derrick talks about, these are the people that will say "there's nothing to play" while the rest of us are drowning in great games and can't find time for all of them.

3. The new mainstream. These people will play anything that is popular or a viral hit regardless of production level and budget. It can be a huge game like Fortnite or an indie sensation like Among Us.

The funny thing is that core gamers and the new mainstream have more in common than the AAA gamer segment which has become somewhat of a bubble. Both core gamers and the new mainstream are likely to play a game like Vampire Survivors, while the "AAA or bust" people will snub it.
Yeah, the market is getting wider and wider and the 2nd category of players you named is getting smaller and smaller, but also the one focused on watching showcases.

For people in category 1 and 3, gaming has never been better, for people mainly in 2 (I guess Derrick?), gaming has never been worse.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
A lot of smoke for Gears to show up today so its probably happening.

I can't remember shit about Gears 5. Only that somewhat cliffhanger ending. My memory is trash but really does feel like it was 20 years ago lol. Doesn't help that Gears story is very mid.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
There are a lot of people out there for whom a show is never good unless there's some bombastic AAA reveal. I think that's what Derrick means and it's definitely true.
and I would say they're the majority of people who take time out and watch these kinds of events. You can look at keighley's own poll of SGF which finished with like 250k votes and over 60% said it was a C or D tier event. Era's poll was also very negative although we're talking about a base in the hundreds. Reddit also seemed very down on it based on the numerous threads I saw on r/gaming (a group with 40m members). Across the board it seems like the vast majority hated the event and most of the reason why that I can tell is that there was nothing really noteworthy or headline grabbing.

• Eyes
Reactions: Stevey

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I'd like to see Harrison Ford on stage looking with disgust at Todd Howard who talks about immersive gameplay experiences and fun whip combat mechanics.

When asked what he thinks of all this, he says
'the fuck is a xbox son'

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
The AAA discourse is not only limited to a specific type of games, platform and budget... but also around where it came from.
Let's be real, the AAA like Black Myth Wukong or Phantom Blade Zero (which no doubt will sell many millions) and all the others... they're not real AAA because they're from China (or Korea, or etc).

The fringe of the gaming community that only likes AAA also only likes games that come from certain places.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018

There is also the forevergamer who either plays old games constantly (and current GaaS) or just buys the sequel to the game they are playing (Fifa, Cod)

I would count myself half into that category and half of the core gamer group. I rarely buy new games and play decade old games constantly.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
and I would say they're the majority of people who take time out and watch these kinds of events. You can look at keighley's own poll of SGF which finished with like 250k votes and over 60% said it was a C or D tier event. Era's poll was also very negative although we're talking about a base in the hundreds. Reddit also seemed very down on it based on the numerous threads I saw on r/gaming (a group with 40m members). Across the board it seems like the vast majority hated the event and most of the reason why that I can tell is that there was nothing really noteworthy or headline grabbing.
Because those were people who expected AAA bombast hype reveals.
Mainstream Indie gamers don't really watch those shows because they expect what the AA gamers expect: AAA bombast hype reveals.

It's like showing the latest Sedans to a bunch of Bikers, in a show that traditionally showed the latest bikes. Of course, the overall consensus by bikers would be that it was a shit show. But no-one would claim that the bikers are a bigger audience than the sedan...ers.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I can't really pinpoint it, but everything about that Indiana Jones game gives me the feeling of "This will bomb hard"

I have become genuinly unable to tell all these games in Fictionalized, Traditional Japan/Korea/China apart.

There are like 8? of those announced right now

Irish Fallout. that's cool??? maybe???

Last edited:

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
The Xbox showcase has been quite disappointing. Other than the Indiana Jones game, the Life is Strange sequel, Avowed, and possibly Stalker 2, not much shown of any interest to me. Pretty much no interesting gameplay shown of any kind as well? I don't think I am the target audience for the modern games industry ...

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Stalker 2 looks great. Maybe a bit too similar to the Metro games.

Very pleased to see a new Life is Strange with Max.

Reactions: Nabs