Community MetaSteam | June 2024 - Let's conquer this kingdom with some pure hearts

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
That was the show the industry needed. Credit where credit's due that had a lot of good looking shit, and perfect dark in particular shocked me. Elements of deus ex and mirrors edge mixed in...damn.

Fable in the brief snippets of gameplay looked really good.

Doom looks great but I'm very worried it's either open world or the areas it has are very flat and meant for large scale battles. Doom is known for level design, lets not lose yet another IP to generic empty open worlds please.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Show was great. I would give it a 9 out of 10.

Xbox needed it but the lack of dates on so many trailers was kind of disappointing.

Maybe they'll do individual dev directs for them as the year goes or maybe they show up at Gamescom.. They'll need to do something for Indiana + Avowed.

I actually thought the Perfect Dark trailer looked pretty good.
Yea looked really good. Like a mixture of Deus Ex + Dishonored + your typical FPS.

My memories of Perfect Dark is playing N64 splitscreen for hours n hours with friends. All the chaos of remote and proximity mines.

So I don't really care about the singleplayer aspect of the games but hopefully this one is fun.

Reactions: LEANIJA

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I don't know about you guys but I love when showcases are 80% CGI... /s

All jokes aside I'd like to understand what Perfect Dark is trying to be. It gave me some immersive sim vibes but I don't trust them to go that route and succeed. We'll see.
Other than that just Doom and the 33 rpg caught my eye.

Avowed continues to look like something 15 year too late to the market.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Best show in years.

And yes, it feels great to have a good PC and gamepass until 2026 xD

Reactions: Cacher

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Definitely keeping Expedition 33 on my radar, was really surprised when the turn based combat started.

South of Midnight looks nice. Gave me some Kena vibes. Man, I would kill for a sequel.

Snake Eater looks fantastic, not getting a release date really hurts.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Snake Eater looks fantastic, not getting a release date really hurts.
I'm happy it looks like an actual game. Them showing on a few screens for a such a long time made me hesitate but it looks so fucking good in motion.

No date sucks and I've been putting off my Snake Eater Deck replay for so long I don't think I will be able to make it to this Delta release.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Bang bang American military recruiter is currently being shown.

That being said while I don't love COD I have found it fun, also they do put in a lot of work into these games. Is COD like other AAA games? People do say they are the same game over and over, but a lot of the stuff that they mentioned about small attention to details, do people actually are about that stuff?

With Spiderman they made fun of a "puddle" do they do the same thing for CoD? What do you mean that the bullets don't fall on the ground and make realistic sound? (They might but I don't know) Or it it more of they don't care and just have fun with the game?

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
good showcase, even though as usual most of the games in it just aren't for me the pacing on these always makes them feel infinitely more fun to watch than Keighley's shows

got a release date on Age of Mythology like I was hoping for and will be keeping an eye on Expedition 33

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Games I will definitely get:

Doom
Stalker
Life is Strange
Snake Eater

Also Expedition 33 and Perfect Dark if they turn out as good as they look.

Keeping my eye on Wuchang and South of Midnight.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Not sure how I feel about new Doom without Mick Gordon.
The difference was extremely noticeable just in the trailer alone. Whoever's in charge has gigantic shoes to fill and judging by what we saw I'm not confident they will manage it.

Reactions: NarohDethan

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Well damn, a Microsoft with surprises, Expedition 33, Perfect Dark, Atomfall... even Life is Strange is back.
Decent showing from the known factors, Stalker 2, Fable, Avowed, Indy, Flight Sim... even Starfield DLC had a good trailer.

Now I'm still worried about release dates, and I think some look a bit shaky like South of Midnight or State of Decay 3, but otherwise that was a mighty impressive show from MS.
Who would have thought? And for Perfect Dark of all things to looks excellent when it was in dev hell and vaporware for years?

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Most importantly Machine Games nailed Indy humor. And damn Troy Baker manages to sound almost like Ford.
Nobody will ever give troy the credit he's due as a VA. I remember when people shat on him for his joker voice in arkham origins because "he's just copying hamill"...yeah no shit, that's the job. It's the same joker as hamill's just set in the past when he first arrives. To be able to come so close to the real thing is an achievement.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
The new LiS gets a mixed reaction from me. On one hand, I'm happy for more LiS. On the other, bringing back Max feels weird. I preferred the idea of LiS being an anthology series with a shared world in the background.

• This!
Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Im catching up on the beginning of the xbox show that i missed and what the fuck is that Dragon Age Trailer??????????????????????????????????

Franchise was already dead to me with Inquisition, but this marvelization is wild and awful

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
So, new CoD is going to have backwards-sprinting, "like how real people move"

Can the real human bean who has that Xavier Renegade Angel anatomy please stand up?

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Also Perfect Dark bringign back Deus Ex vibes wasn't what i expected. Add to that Mirror's Edge movement and damn that could be really good game.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The new LiS gets a mixed reaction from me. On one hand, I'm happy for more LiS. On the other, bringing back Max feels weird. I preferred the idea of LiS being an anthology series with a shared world in the background.
The story they were teasing in the LiS trailer looked/sounded exactly like "Its a Wonderful Knife" movie I watched not that long ago.

It felt like deja vu lol.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
Im catching up on the beginning of the xbox show that i missed and what the fuck is that Dragon Age Trailer??????????????????????????????????

Franchise was already dead to me with Inquisition, but this marvelization is wild and awful
between the look and tone and the way they kept introducing characters with their name and role I spent like half of it actually thinking it was a f2p hero shooter or something

SaberVS7

Jan 23, 2020
I have this weird feeling that the third Jensen DX probably got recycled into Perfect Dark. Or at least Mankind Divided's design-document was a jumping-off point CD used to get the thing off the ground after whatever The Initiative was ???ing that was going nowhere fast.

What surprised me about the show, was no news about old acti games coming to game pass
Probably all tied-up by "No Game-Pass' clauses of Sony marketing deals.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
between the look and tone and the way they kept introducing characters with their name and role I spent like half of it actually thinking it was a f2p hero shooter or something
I'm really hoping it was just misguided marketing, but yeah... that was weird. Guess we'll know Tuesday when they do their gameplay reveal.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I must say, what really annoys me about the new Dragon Age, is how it clearly fumbles the pretty great writing it inherited from the last game. Finally you have the chance to make a game with a great villain: Solas, the brilliant, fascist, pro-Elf fanatic who wants to literally destroy and up-end the world in order to recreate the very past that he himself had originally destroyed, to bring back the rule of the elves and in the process kill essentially anything that currently lives in the world. That's clearly the promise when you had a game called Dragon Age Dreadwolf.

Instead nu-BioWare writes a story about a ragtag bunch of heroes, a Ocean's 11 sort of group who fight against a Saturday Morning Cartoon villain. Absolutely hate the look of the new game too. I was sure that Dragon Age 4 would have been a must-play for me, even if it was always going to be a bit shite, but this looks so aggresively bland and boring.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Nobody will ever give troy the credit he's due as a VA. I remember when people shat on him for his joker voice in arkham origins because "he's just copying hamill"...yeah no shit, that's the job. It's the same joker as hamill's just set in the past when he first arrives. To be able to come so close to the real thing is an achievement.
Well, his performance in TLOU was one of the most praised VA performances ever and deservedly so, but yeah, he's really good.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018

Lol, 'marvelization', give me a break. The number one thing Marvel does is make its characters likeable. Did you like any of the characters you saw in that trailer?

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I must say, what really annoys me about the new Dragon Age, is how it clearly fumbles the pretty great writing it inherited from the last game. Finally you have the chance to make a game with a great villain: Solas, the brilliant, fascist, pro-Elf fanatic who wants to literally destroy and up-end the world in order to recreate the very past that he himself had originally destroyed, to bring back the rule of the elves and in the process kill essentially anything that currently lives in the world. That's clearly the promise when you had a game called Dragon Age Dreadwolf.

Instead nu-BioWare writes a story about a ragtag bunch of heroes, a Ocean's 11 sort of group who fight against a Saturday Morning Cartoon villain. Absolutely hate the look of the new game too. I was sure that Dragon Age 4 would have been a must-play for me, even if it was always going to be a bit shite, but this looks so aggresively bland and boring.
The gameplay reveal is in a few days so we will see. It could just be a marketing thing but yea the tone difference from the first reveal with Solas looks so different now. Kinda feels like they tore down that game and built a new one from the ground up. It could explain why it took them so long to release it.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I accidentally turned on my Steam Controller and wow the batteries are still alive somehow. It doesn't seem to be a vampire and suck energy or I just put in some very premium batteries or something. Also I managed to turn on my Steam Link in my living room, yes I have both a physical Steam Link and a Steam Controller (I have two physical Steam Links but only 1 Steam Controller) that's some pretty cool stuff. I would try to use my Steam link more but I hardly play game in the living room and also that TV is a 4K TV while my current PC mainly does 144op stuff.

SaberVS7

Jan 23, 2020
I think people forget that Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford have a pretty serious Phoning-It-In problem these days, which really makes the pricetag of hiring them just not worth it at all anymore.

And that's even with on-screen roles now, not just "video game dubbing".

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021

The Ship of Theseus is a though experiment about identity. According to history every year this ship made a pilgrimage in honor of Apollo to commemorate the slaying of the Minotaur, and every time after the voyage the ship was fully repaired so that the voyage could be done the year after too
But after hundreds of travels, if every individual piece of wood that forme the original ship was removed and replaced with a new one, is the ship still the original ship, or it simply shares its name?

Oh, why am I talking about this in a discussion about Bioware and Dragon Age? No reason I just though it was interesting

You need to let go

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The Ship of Theseus is a though experiment about identity. According to history every year this ship made a pilgrimage in honor of Apollo to commemorate the slaying of the Minotaur, and every time after the voyage the ship was fully repaired so that the voyage could be done the year after too
But after hundreds of travels, if every individual piece of wood that forme the original ship was removed and replaced with a new one, is the ship still the original ship, or it simply shares its name?

Oh, why am I talking about this in a discussion about Bioware and Dragon Age? No reason I just though it was interesting

You need to let go
Not sure what your point is. I would be more than happy if a sequel to Dragon Age Inquisition was focusing more on the writing, player freedom and world building than even Inquisition ever did. Ditch the open world nonsense, go back to linear games, and give more RTWP goodness. I don't want them to recreate something from 2014, and honestly, the Bioware from 2014 was already pretty ass, so plenty that could be improved there. You'd think in a world where Larian, CD Project and many others are stealing their lunch, you would think EA understand what makes BioWare valuable (protip: it's not their ability to make live service games) and hires people who double down on that.

This trailer looks like something that could very well be a live service game. Zero focus on story, a couple of bland character tropes and Marvel esque writing that just screams generic. Maybe the gameplay reveal will change my mind (it almost definitely won't, but hey, non-zero chance) but it looks like I can just ignore this franchise for the forseeable future.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
its exactly the other way around for me, but I also dislike anthology series as a principle. I liked LIS for its original characters, and wouldve preferred they had used a different name for non-Max-LIS-games. Im really glad Max is back.

I accidentally turned on my Steam Controller and wow the batteries are still alive somehow. It doesn't seem to be a vampire and suck energy or I just put in some very premium batteries or something.
yeah the batteries in mine are still good, as well; and they are surely a couple years old now.

Reactions: PC-tan and Dandy

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Can't believe its been 10 years with the PC gamer show.

I remember how weird the first one was. The pacing was all over the place with long dev sit downs. And the trailers had such bad performance fps lol.

Reactions: Cacher and LEANIJA

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Well, his performance in TLOU was one of the most praised VA performances ever and deservedly so, but yeah, he's really good.
Yeah but people think that's all he can do and most of his other roles is just being himself. Nolan North used to get the same criticism, but both have incredible range. People need to learn it's the game devs who hire these guys and tell them to do the voice that made them popular, it's not the actors' fault.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Not sure what your point is.
Just like the ship of theseus, modern Bioware is just something that has the same name, but none of the original parts. Even Inquisition at this point is like a game made by a completely different studio. This is a post Anthem "Bioware" and that game came out in 2019, 5 years ago! It's impossible for me to trust modern Bioware to ever do something like their pre-Anthem days
And let's be serious, before Anthem they did Andromeda, so the bar wasn't exactly high to begin with
Ergo: you need to let go
The bioware you love doesn't exist anymore, you can't expect that Bioware in the current "Weekend at Bernie" studio whose name is on the next Dragon Age trailer