Community MetaSteam | June 2024 - Let's conquer this kingdom with some pure hearts

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Hey, does anyone use this....

is it a useful app for boosting fps? Reviews are good. Seems like a convenient tool to have rather than downloading different mods for different games.

Reactions: PhaZZe

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

is it a useful app for boosting fps? Reviews are good. Seems like a convenient tool to have rather than downloading different mods for different games.
I have been using it on 30fps lock games as well as emulation. Sometimes upscale video resolution on browser, too.

It is wizardry. Smooth as butter.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I don't know if they're good enough for print but Hall of Framed this community has a lot of artful shots that would make for great posters
Nice site, great pictures. But not really what I am looking for.

I should have been more specific on what I am looking for.

Looking for high resolution pictures of old NES cover arts

Something like this

I know there are sites that sell these either as pictures or printed posters. But these are probably not legit/official sellers...

Reactions: fearthedawn

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
So what are the chances of Beyond Good and Evil anniversary edition will be a free thingie for past owners? I have it both on Steam and Xbox, so hopefully on one of them!
Given it's Ubisoft, I'd want to respond with a very large Toucan emoji; sadly I can't seem to find one, so you'll have to use your imagination.

edit: ninja'd.

fearthedawn

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019

it works very well for what it is

• latency is increased a bit like all frame gen tech
  • game needs to be borderless or windowed
  • doesn't have access to game data to e.g. exclude menus
  • it does cause additional gpu load and its not insignificant

all that said, from my limited experience its surprisingly close to built in frame gen and i do just use it instead of mods

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Which route are you starting with? The game will mostly leave you alone until you reached Tokyo Tower. This entry is different from other SMT entries, since the open area has replaced the dungeon crawling. There are a lot of quests and demon haunts conversations that can be had in between demon fusing, so I don't know how you can call it boring. Even riding the Magatsuhi Rails is fun. You don't even have to grind to beat the area boss.

Even in Nocturne, the story didn't really pick up until you got to Shibuya.
I started with the new route. I’m very much lamenting the absence of any narrative, the monotonous environment, the mediocre peppering of the map by collectibles. The demon haunt is cute but still so very basic.
I guess we disagree, which is fine.
But…. did you just say that grinding a magical aerial rail linking different points of the map is fun ? :anguished-face:

I guess I will be clear today if I should expect anything from the game. I just unlocked a very needed narrative event that will change the biome. After 15h of desert, I wonder, is it reasonable, did I really earn it, why not a small 10 more hours of sand ? To really drive the point home ?

The best I could describe my feeling is that they made a big uninteresting map, filled it with collectibles and basic quests (basically find this or kill that), and somehow I should be remotely interested.

• Sad
Reactions: Line

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
did you just say that grinding a magical aerial rail linking different points of the map is fun ?
Not grinding. Riding. Naruto running from a fount in one corner of the map, jumping to Magatsu Rail one after another to go on top of the hill is fun to me. Maybe I'm just easily amused. :flare_lmao:

The best I could describe my feeling is that they made a big uninteresting map, filled it with collectibles and basic quests (basically find this or kill that), and somehow I should be remotely interested.
Never play the Trails series. :flare_lmao:

Reactions: Li Kao

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Baten Kaitos remaster is pretty good.

I think those games just hold up very well, even the if the first game is a very by the books JRPG story, it's just comfortable.
I also think it nails an aspect of card combat that I don't think ever appeared in other games... you have the usual cards with elements, buffs and stuff, but also a light poker aspect where you want to play triples, a flush, etc, and it becomes more doable later on with larger combos and cards with more than one number... but you also have tons of hidden combos like using a fish for healing and then a fire attack card will create a grilled fish card that you can use later, and is much better than a raw fish (and that's the most basic, even early on the game tells you how to cook rice and using power helmet+uncooked rice+mineral water+charcoal+fire attack is a lot less obvious :astonished-face:)

That's very unique and cool, especially since cards "age", which I think is the much better use of a durability of some sort - it does not discourage you to use your tools, quite the opposite, you want to use them as much as you want until they transform due to a hidden timer, like said grilled fish will become rotten food and become a poison attack.
It doesn't feel like you're always playing with the same cards all the time, and since there's a huge part of discovery, even regular encounters don't repeat nearly as much.

Also it's quite pretty:

However it's not perfect, sometimes the AI textures are a bit wonky, and sadly there's no filling the 16:9 for fixed screens like the map or the shops.

But that's pretty minor, and the QOL options are some of the best I've seen in an RPG remaster.
2x or 3x speed separated for overworld exploration and combat (thankfully, because 2x speed for combat makes defending almost impossible) but you also get the option to remove fluff like stat screens after every turn or give you OHKO attacks or removing all contact encounters on the maps, it's suuuper flexible.
It even has a new game + if you want to complete it (which is a fool's errand, even with a guide to not miss all the little tidbits there's one specific item that only the most insane will wait 336 hours to get...).
On the other hand, they removed the English voice acting. It was awful in the first game, but people liked it in the second... which is kinda weird to me, but that happened. Not like voice acting covers a majority of the game, though.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
Baten Kaitos remaster is pretty good.

I think those games just hold up very well, even the if the first game is a very by the books JRPG story, it's just comfortable.
I also think it nails an aspect of card combat that I don't think ever appeared in other games... you have the usual cards with elements, buffs and stuff, but also a light poker aspect where you want to play triples, a flush, etc, and it becomes more doable later on with larger combos and cards with more than one number... but you also have tons of hidden combos like using a fish for healing and then a fire attack card will create a grilled fish card that you can use later, and is much better than a raw fish (and that's the most basic, even early on the game tells you how to cook rice and using power helmet+uncooked rice+mineral water+charcoal+fire attack is a lot less obvious :astonished-face:)

That's very unique and cool, especially since cards "age", which I think is the much better use of a durability of some sort - it does not discourage you to use your tools, quite the opposite, you want to use them as much as you want until they transform due to a hidden timer, like said grilled fish will become rotten food and become a poison attack.
It doesn't feel like you're always playing with the same cards all the time, and since there's a huge part of discovery, even regular encounters don't repeat nearly as much.

Also it's quite pretty:

However it's not perfect, sometimes the AI textures are a bit wonky, and sadly there's no filling the 16:9 for fixed screens like the map or the shops.

But that's pretty minor, and the QOL options are some of the best I've seen in an RPG remaster.
2x or 3x speed separated for overworld exploration and combat (thankfully, because 2x speed for combat makes defending almost impossible) but you also get the option to remove fluff like stat screens after every turn or give you OHKO attacks or removing all contact encounters on the maps, it's suuuper flexible.
It even has a new game + if you want to complete it (which is a fool's errand, even with a guide to not miss all the little tidbits there's one specific item that only the most insane will wait 336 hours to get...).
On the other hand, they removed the English voice acting. It was awful in the first game, but people liked it in the second... which is kinda weird to me, but that happened. Not like voice acting covers a majority of the game, though.
the addition of achievements is a little dangerous because I have enough nostalgia for the games that I might actually be tempted to go for that stupid 336 hour shampoo thing you mention just because there's an achievement for that

maybe i'll just cheat that one in or something :LOL:

as for the voice acting that was a dealbreaker for me personally that kept me from buying the switch version when that released, the first ones voice acting is objectively pretty awful but I do always prefer dubs to subs as a general rule and the awfulness of it had a sort of nostalgic value to it

the second one was the real bummer as far as the voice acting goes since I not only remember it being pretty good overall but there's one specific party member in it where the voice is actually two people talking simultaneously in a way that sounds unique and is just flat out one of my favorite voices in gaming, even if I weren't a dub>>>>sub kinda guy the game honestly just wouldn't feel the same without having that dubbed

also the announcer but from what I hear that's actually in english in the japanese version too for some reason

fortunately being on Steam now means it was super easy to mod back in so I bought it this time

• Sweating
Reactions: Line

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Never play the Trails series. :flare_lmao:
I mean, obviously one needs to have quite some resilience to slow pacing to play Trails (especially Cold Steel), but if there's one thing you absolutely cannot blame it for, it's having an "absence of any narrative" :p (which from the sound of it seems to be one of Li Kao's main gripes).

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I've been hitting that Elden Ring replay pretty hard.

Getting through to Altus Plateau. Got that mimic tear. Ready to unga bunga my way to victory. STR + VIG and a dash of Faith for those sweet buffs. Gonna hit with big spike hammer until bad guys die.

Reactions: LEANIJA and Stevey

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
I failed to repaste my laptop

Got the motherboard out but I just couldn't unscrew the fucking heatsink screws, I think I don't have the right screwdriver. So I had to get it all put back having failed and the freaking ethernet ribbon cable was not working, had to try a couple times to finally get it right.
I'm just going to enjoy my throttling while playing Elden Ring, I guess.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019

To what should be surprise to no one, that marvel tactics game killed xcom 3 and now, with most of the team gone and within the current economic landscape, it's probable it'll never happen.
I'm just so happy that xcom died so we could have a super hero dating sim with a subpar tactical combat mode attached.
Add another one to the pile of thinks killed by marvel and disney in the last 10/15 years.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I mean, obviously one needs to have quite some resilience to slow pacing to play Trails (especially Cold Steel), but if there's one thing you absolutely cannot blame it for, it's having an "absence of any narrative" :p (which from the sound of it seems to be one of Li Kao's main gripes).
Lol. I know. :flare_lmao:

I'm just teasing Li Kao for a bit, since I remember he had complained about the slow pacing in Trails FC back then. :flare_smirk:

• Sweating
Reactions: QFNS and Li Kao

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I can't remember if anyone here is a puzzle game nut like I am, but if you're a fan of Myst, Riven and Obduction you're probably familiar with the excellent Quern: Undying Thoughts.

There's a demo for their new game, Dimhaven Enigmas and they're also running a Kickstarter campaign:

Sadly they're struggling a bit and I don't really understand why! I finished the demo and thought it played and looked great (I kinda dig the current trend of PSX era pixelated textures). I backed it at the ~50$ level (the beta one).

Hopefully somebody else here is interested!

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Mob mentality is scary. I saw on Twitter that people are dog piling on the status of the reviews for Elden Ring. Saying stuff like "get gud"

It's once of those cases of jumping to a conclusion without reading all of the evidence. One of them even said it was at mixed reviews but failed to mention that was for the DLC and not the base game itself. This sort of feels like reading one of those ex World of Warcraft devs tweets.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I failed to repaste my laptop

Got the motherboard out but I just couldn't unscrew the fucking heatsink screws, I think I don't have the right screwdriver. So I had to get it all put back having failed and the freaking ethernet ribbon cable was not working, had to try a couple times to finally get it right.
I'm just going to enjoy my throttling while playing Elden Ring, I guess.
One of the best DIY investments i ever made was one of those ifixit Starter kits for like $20-$30. I've yet to meet a screw I can't... unscrew. :p

• This!
Reactions: moemoneyb1

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Christ, SMT V is hard. Not hard as balls, there surely are harder SMT, but jeez.
Just went through a duo of bosses, 4-5 tries, one bad RNG and you might as well start again.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

Streamer Dr Disrespect was permanently banned from Twitch in June 2020, with no explanation being given at the time by him or the livestreaming platform.

However, an ex-Twitch employee claimed that a streamer was banned from the platform for sending a minor inappropriate messages, leading many to believe Dr Disrespect was the one being referred to.

And he didn't actually deny it.