Community MetaSteam | June 2024 - Let's conquer this kingdom with some pure hearts

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
All the tied series games on the same level and style starting from the 1st one and not arbitrarily, not one remake a generation or whatever, might as well say the first few FF games got remakes on NDS or remasters on PS1 so that's all they need if 3 or 4 get an ace current generation remake or something.
Hmm, about the SaGa games, could end up being a Resident Evil situation? (Which doesn't have a modern remake of RE1 and has a remaster of a 6th gen remake).
A couple years ago we got this, a remaster of a 3D remake of the first Romancing SaGa game:

And now we're getting a modern 3D remake of Romancing SaGa 2, if it does well I wouldn't be surprised if a 3D remake of 3 comes next?

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
All the tied series games on the same level and style starting from the 1st one and not arbitrarily, not one remake a generation or whatever
That's not realistic either. I mean, who plays SaGa these days? Not PC gamers, and they are certainly not in this forum either.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
That was a really mediocre show but they had something I could use my last voucher on so I guess that's all I needed out of this event.

I was personally surprised at how bad metroid looks. It was giving me halo ODST vibes half the time.
I mean it still has to run on the Switch so yea lol. It was never going to look great by other FPS standards.

I think it looks fine considering how old the switch is but yea..

Nintendo is at a point where the only franchises they have that gets great graphics treatment is new open world Zelda or 3D Mario. Those are the only games they would throw hundreds of millions of $$$ at to push graphics/hardware. Everything else will look middle of the road (even on Switch 2 imo). But 3rd party games will feast assuming its power equivalent of Deck minimum. Just playing something like Elden Ring on Deck is visually mindblowing and a lot of games will look amazing on Switch 2.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
That's not realistic either. I mean, who plays SaGa these days? Not PC gamers, and they are certainly not in this forum either.
There are so many SaGa games and I keep forgetting about them lol.

Oh, and Phantom Brave 1 is on sale. It goes on sale often but still, NIS probably need money right now so I don't mind "promoting" a bit after the sequel announcement.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Natsu-mon 20th century is coming to Steam too AWESOME!!!! please don't be Asia exclusive.
I'm a new fan of Kaz Ayabe since I played BokuNatsu 2 last summer, and I've rewatched this trailer several times already. I hope it will have English localisation, too.
Squeenix would've forgotten about them too if not for Lord Kawazu manifesting a new SaGa game in every board meeting. :flare_lmao:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Squeenix would've forgotten about them too if not for Lord Kawazu manifesting a new SaGa game in every board meeting. :flare_lmao:
It's funny. SaGa games disappeared completely during the PS3 era and then suddenly there is a new one / remaster release every year since Scarlet Grace (?). It's like SQEX discovered a frigging gold mine somewhere when the games are not selling like gangbuster and the fanbase is never that vocal in places that I go. I am jealous as a Sakura Wars fans.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
This probably will never get an English localisation, but Kamaitachi no Yoru (Night of the Sickle Weasel) x3 is coming to Steam as well. :flare_utawaku:

It's like SQEX discovered a frigging gold mine somewhere when the games are not selling like gangbuster and the fanbase is never that vocal in places that I go.
I think Kawazu is really that good at management. Funnel the income from the SaGa mobage (Re:Universe) into the single player games. Remaster one or two of the old classics (Frontier, Minstrel Song) to keep the older fans excited. Cut the budget a bit to get a new game out while keeping the experimental spirit alive (Emerald Beyond), saving the extras and income from them to remake a fan favourite (RS2) in the style that look great for newcomers.

And I wish the fan base could be bigger, but in the past, most western gamers will get filtered by the game mechanics and art style. Now that the RS2 remake is absolutely the best looking SaGa game ever, they will only get filtered by the mechanics. Progress! :flare_lmao:

Reason: oops
Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
RIP Beyond Good and Evil. I never played the game before. Was the PS3 version decent? I think it's still on PS Now so I might be able to play that version.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
RIP Beyond Good and Evil. I never played the game before. Was the PS3 version decent? I think it's still on PS Now so I might be able to play that version.
It is. Runs at 60 fps with better textures than the 30 fps ps2/gc/xbox gen. You can still buy the pc version on GOG currently: Beyond Good & Evil™ (or a very cheap ubisoft key from key sellers.)

I'm hoping they delisted the game to release an anniversary and hopefully better version. The current PC version isn't that good tbh.

Reactions: LEANIJA and PC-tan

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
It's a very good game and as mentioned, it's still available on gog. The PC version actually had some problems with performance on modern PCs or operating systems and there were some small hacks/mods needed to make it run properly. The gog version comes with those fixes pre-installed so it's actually a better version of the game that was on Steam.

They probably are releasing the HD/remastered version on Steam soon so you could just hold off for that but in case you want to own the original version as well then this option does exist for now.

Reactions: PC-tan

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Looks great, DQXI level almost, but it sucks they're only doing the 2nd game like this and others got remasters or whatever. Same for only getting DQIII HD-2D.
They remake SaGa games from time to time. The first Romancing got remade on the PS2 (That's Minstrels Song), you got the gameboy SaGa games remade on the ds and now this.
Even when Squeenix implodes in the future, I hope Kawazu will keep making games. I will follow that man anywhere. :flare_bath:
Square might implode but he'll rise from the ashes and remain.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
When will Kodaka escape Danganronpa? :flare_lmao:

Also, I can't wait to see the culture warriors foaming at the mouth yet again when the Californian girl writes a “woke” character. :flare_bath:

• Toucan
Reactions: Cacher

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
What a show, what a Direct!
I thought it would be difficult to top the Xbox event (which leaned heavily AAA), but Nintendo just shut it down. So many niche games that are relevant to my interests - I was going nuts when they showed MVC2.
ITS MAHVEL BABY! :notlikethisblob:
According to official homepage Hundred Line is directed and written by Kodaka and Uchikoshi. LET'S F**KING GOOOOOOOOO!!!!
I know!!!! Hnggggg. So happy they put the Steam page up already so I can gaze lovingly at it.
A friend gifted me 1000xResist and I am PUMPED
You won't regret it! 1000x Resist is one of the best games of 2024, full stop.
Well, Tizoc is technically still a member here, and he definitely plays a lot of Saga hehe. Every time one of those games launches he shows up in my activity feed posting screenshots!

Pinging Mor for this :blobeyes:
Thank you so much for posting this! August 6th in English, you say? Instant wishlist.

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher and Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Well, Tizoc is technically still a member here, and he definitely plays a lot of Saga hehe. Every time one of those games launches he shows up in my activity feed posting screenshots!
Lol. I know. I'm mostly joking. But still, that only make two of us that actually plays SaGa. Maybe with Mivey too, makes three. :flare_smirk:

The responses to RS2R7 on Twitter seems positive, though, so hopefully people will try it because it seems like it's more accessible than the original.

• Comfy
Reactions: hersheyfan
Dec 5, 2018
The responses to RS2R7 on Twitter seems positive, though, so hopefully people will try it because it seems like it's more accessible than the original.
I just hope, that the game is better balanced so I don't have to spam hasten time against the final boss cause I'm kinda locked out otherwise

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
While the Battle Rank system can be harsh, the way it was implemented in Emerald Beyond was probably the most accessible it has ever been. Since EB was designed for repeat playthroughs, on every NG you can choose to either carry over the BR or not. Carrying over BR would mean the enemies will be much tougher, but stat increase and sparking skills will trigger much faster too. Especially when engaging encounters marked "Hard" and above.

The mechanics in EB certainly doesn't hold your hand. There's a lot to chew on, especially if one hates reading the gameplay tips. The RNG can feel a bit lopsided at times too, but it certainly not what I would call "terrible" as you have succinctly put it. The entire SaGa experience is supposed to be hard, but it is also extremely rewarding.
Oh, I was just talking about the Steam reviews in general.
Especially for an anime game, in a niche sub genre, in a franchise that is pretty much exclusively played by its fans, 70% is extremely low. Just look at the scores of the bin juice that are the SAO games.

But mind you, I will never play a SaGa game again, and not because you need to "read gameplay tips", but because it's literally the crystallization of everything that went wrong in JRPGs over the decades - except they had most of them from the get go: from the crippling scaling that destroys any sense of progression, to absurd amounts of RNG that invalidate strategy (and now it has no healing either, for some reason), to "HD towns are hard" and exploration being actively discouraged in favour of "experimentation" AKA save scum or die, and now with the last game it also gets lambasted for trying to have "cool" modern day characterization and failing at it while also deleting the open world design.

In a world where we have both trusted archetypes like DQ3 but also franchises jumping the shark like FF, it's odd to see SaGa still bumbling around while never fixing anything and regressing in many ways with each episode.
The recent remasters certainly didn't bother, and it's still stuck in a limbo where you can replay the games to see different things... because you never had the tools to know what the fuck was going on and what will screw over the player and railroad them into failure.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Sadly, I'll probably be part of the group that doesn't try it. :tired-face:

I've made many attempts to get into the Saga series over the years, and after consistently bouncing off them every single time I've come to the conclusion that I'm just too stupid to play SaGa titles. :face-with-cold-sweat:

Sure, it would be nice to address a long standing JRPG blind spot (dating back to the PS1 days, even!), but it's just too much money set on fire at this point.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

Oh, and Phantom Brave 1 is on sale. It goes on sale often but still, NIS probably need money right now so I don't mind "promoting" a bit after the sequel announcement.
You also shouldn't mind promoting it since it's the best NIS SRPG (in my opinion) :p

• Gib
Reactions: QFNS and Cacher

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Second half of the year is stacked with so many RPGs.

Metaphor
Avowed
Dragon Age Veilguard
Dragon Quest III
Final Fantasy XVI (most likely)
Shattered Space

Want to play all of them but there is no chance. Will definitely do at least 2 tho + Shattered Space.

And I still need to get through all these Kingdom Hearts games lol fml.

First half of the year was also insane with P3R, Dogma 2, SMTV, Erdtree and Rebirth. This may very well go down as one of the goat RPG years :cat-pizza-blob:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I mean it still has to run on the Switch so yea lol. It was never going to look great by other FPS standards.

I think it looks fine considering how old the switch is but yea..

Nintendo is at a point where the only franchises they have that gets great graphics treatment is new open world Zelda or 3D Mario. Those are the only games they would throw hundreds of millions of $$$ at to push graphics/hardware. Everything else will look middle of the road (even on Switch 2 imo). But 3rd party games will feast assuming its power equivalent of Deck minimum. Just playing something like Elden Ring on Deck is visually mindblowing and a lot of games will look amazing on Switch 2.
I think even for switch standards that looked really rough, like I said it reminded me of odst/halo 4 which are 360 games. For some reason the conduit also jumped into my mind during that trailer and that's a wii game. Obviously the resolution is higher but what little was shown was reminiscent of shooters of that era, just really dated not just visually but the gameplay looked very old too. Shooting enemies that mostly stood there and let you hit them in the face.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
I wonder if the recent changes at Square-Enix means there's now a chance we'll get a Steam release for Collection of Mana or if that one is actually caught up in Nintendo bullshit. IIRC the theory was that they own the localization script or something along those lines?

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever

:stopblob:

Couple this with the recent news of Samsung delaying it's own fab expansions and yeah... Guess prices are gonna go up AGAIN for GPU/CPU. Even though most Western Governments are pumping BILLIONS of tax-dollars into Fabs for homeland production and expansion.

Also AMD Hacked.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Never forget, ATLUS PR recognizes Steam reviews.

They mention how on Steam the game as overwhelming positive users reviews.

• Eyes
Reactions: Arc and BO7AMMOOD

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
----------
Remember the Steam weekly list? When every week some one would post what the top selling games on Steam were? Since these are now more easily accessible it doesn't seem like as many people share that information anymore.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I've made many attempts to get into the Saga series over the years, and after consistently bouncing off them every single time I've come to the conclusion that I'm just too stupid to play SaGa titles.
If you're willing to give it another go, RS2R7 has multiple difficulty options. Not sure what "casual" would actually mean in gameplay terms, since from my experience, even low-HP SaGa enemies can be difficult in its own right. :flare_lmao:

• Hug
Reactions: hersheyfan