Community MetaSteam | March 2020 - Rise and Shine, Ms. Vance, Until It Is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018

Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon

Enter the virtual world of Under A Killing Moon, where it is December 2042, and you, as Tex Murphy, must stop the forces of evil before they destroy mankind and rob you of your next unemployment check. This thrilling and hilarious adventure is unlike anything you've seen before.

The graphics quality, the fascinating, believable characters, and complete freedom of movement will make you feel like you've actually walked through the screen and become the main character in a rich, intriguing mystery movie.
Such an interesting classic. Love the style.

I've told this story before but I remember going into a game store and seeing the box for the first time. The visuals looked so compelling and fantastic. It just seemed real interesting. It was one of the most expensive games being sold in the store at the time at $70-some or $80-some dollars.

Then I open the box on the way home and see this card:

I had 4MB RAM... I was definitely not getting 16MB any time soon. That would be like 64GB today.

But I still enjoyed the game, a bit sore over the bait and switch on the graphics.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Such an interesting classic. Love the style.

I've told this story before but I remember going into a game store and seeing the box for the first time. The visuals looked so compelling and fantastic. It just seemed real interesting. It was one of the most expensive games being sold in the store at the time at $70-some or $80-some dollars.

Then I open the box on the way home and see this card:

I had 4MB RAM... I was definitely not getting 16MB any time soon. That would be like 64GB today.

But I still enjoyed the game, a bit sore over the bait and switch on the graphics.
Literally everybody I knew had 4MB (not GB) and wanted 8MB. 16MB until about 1998 seemed unattainable unless you didn't care what you spent. Of course I didn't have any money so I don't know.

Reactions: lashman

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Literally everybody I knew had 4MB (not GB) and wanted 8MB. 16MB until about 1998 seemed unattainable unless you didn't care what you spent. Of course I didn't have any money so I don't know.
I think it was around 2010 or so when i felt proud that I was able to get 1GB of RAM for the family computer that we had since 2005. In 2014 we would get rid of that computer and the new computer that I would build that year would have 8GB of RAM. The one I'm currently using has 16GB of RAM. Actually I can't even remember if the 2005 PC that I had could do 1GB max and that meant having to get 2 500MB RAM sticks of something like that. I feel like the PC originally had maybe something like 240MB

z1ggy

No Anime
Apr 17, 2019
waaaay ahead of you ... i bought it yesterday :)

can't wait to play it (in like a decade or so ... that's how i play games, lol)
I have been all my life like that, playing and finishing 2 or 3 games a year...then 2019 happened and in the last 4 months i finished like 10 games. I dont know why, but im enjoying the ride :cryingwhyblob:

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
So I'm in this Airbnb in New Orleans and when I arrived, a couple of days ago late in the evening, there have been a little pecuilar detail in my room that made me suspicious: on the desk there's a Mac Mini for the guests to use, and the mouse lies on top of a SteelSeries QcK mouse pad, which, I mean, it is cheap but still sounds a bit overkill. (Also, it's the same pad I own myself, just mine is twice as large). Oh well, it's just a mousepad.
Then I leave the room towards the toilet, and the room besides it was open. It was dark but there were a bunch of lights going on. Oh well, they're just lights.
But then in the morning I got to see what was in that room: a full fledged professional PC gamer/streamer setup.
Comfy office chair, a serious mic with pop shield, a wide ass screen, and under the desk a proper case with lots of RGB going on (could read "EVGA GEFORCE" on the side of the GPU).
It's a bit inappropriate for me to enter the room and investigate further, but damn I'm kinda proud to be in this Airbnb!
Unfortunately the hosts are like ghosts or something, never got to see anybody in 3 days now, but I'd love to ask them what is their stance with Epic, which would definitely determine if I'll leave the toilet unflushed on check-out day.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
In regards to EVGA are their parts of the world where they don't sell their stuff? In Japan at least I don't think that EVGA sells their stuff.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Yessssss.

New thread looking fine.

Can't wait for ToCS3! I have some travel planned this month so I won't be able to play at release, but I'll be on it shortly after in April don't worry!

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
Back on the CS train again, I'm not going to beat anything this year :(
I played nothing but CS in December and January and eventually got sick of it. The rampant cheating was just too much but I've read that they updated Trust Factor recently so I hope it got better now. I'm sure I'll return again when Valve adds new content but I'm happy to have a break for now.

I've jumped back onto the Falcom hype train instead and it has been great. I'm really loving Ys8 and I'm beyond hyped for Trails from Zero and ToCS3.
If that wasn't enough already there's also Black Mesa, Ori, DOOM and Half-Life. What an insanely good month!

Angelo

Junior Member?
Dec 21, 2018
Back on the CS train again, I'm not going to beat anything this year :(
Same tbh. I have Ace Attorney on my plate and i've been having so much fun with it. But other than that, i still play CS. It's still toxic as ever, but yeah, nothing new :disappointed-face:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Nice new thread lashman

Going to try and play Black Mesa this month before Alyx drops. Just need to finish off RDR2, think im near the end.

Trouble is i seem to be right back into Rimworld. Played all day yesterday.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Completed every HL game except the first one. Might as well try and if it doesn't work out I'll give Black Mesa a shot.

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Completed every HL game except the first one. Might as well try and if it doesn't work out I'll give Black Mesa a shot.
Black Mesa is a great way to play the original HL story, it looks fine and the Xen levels mostly improve the Original's worst areas.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Hello March. No day-1 buys this month for me unfortunately I gotta save some money for a while after my big phone purchase in Feb. Upgraded myself from a dinky mid-tier Huawei to a nice Samsung S10+ \o/ (Such a massive improvement, both in image quality and performance.) It's amazing they smashed 3440x1440 into just 6 inches of screen.
=============

Durante

I wanted to quote your Ryza post from the last thread, but it got locked. Does the game support downsampling natively? Would playing at 5K on a 4K TV eliminate the need for AA?

Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Nice thread.
I already bought DOOM Eternal a while ago so my wallet will be ok.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
That thing going on with GoG's refund policy and devs getting "frustrated" just makes me sigh. For one, it's nonsensical given that the game's installer can be kept forever anyway, so in practice this changes little. What it does is put some devs's attitude in the spotlight, and it's really disappointing.

Why is "fuck the consumer" such a default in a segment of the dev community? They behave in greedy ways that could match some of the most reviled publishers.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
The ones (not all) complaining about GOG refund policy are the ones with unfinished or abandoned games on GOG.

Mike Rose has never released the DLCs for Not Tonight on GOG. Incomplete game right there.

Rami Ismail abandoned the GOG version leaving the release day version unpatched for four years and only continued to update the DRM-free version of Nuclear Throne after Epic threw money at him to have it as one of their EGS freebies.

Just some examples.

Found on reddit:

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I was looking at a Stadia tweet announcing new games and this comment is one of the funniest things I've read in quite a while:

I feel that the exchange feels really familiar. Like it already happened a lot of times during the last year.
That thing going on with GoG's refund policy and devs getting "frustrated" just makes me sigh. For one, it's nonsensical given that the game's installer can be kept forever anyway, so in practice this changes little. What it does is put some devs's attitude in the spotlight, and it's really disappointing.

Why is "fuck the consumer" such a default in a segment of the dev community? They behave in greedy ways that could match some of the most reviled publishers.
I'll say this, pirating the game is far far far far easier than abusing refund.

Reddit explained it better than me.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I'll believe Bannerlords releases when I have it opening on my pc and not a moment sooner
same!

Just sayin...
niiiiice :) added you to the list, congrats :D

New thread looking fine.
awww, thank you :photoblobheart:

Aaah March, since it's my birthday in march what are the chances Valve spontaniously sends me an Index and HL Alyx?:D I mean at least starbucks gives you a drink of choice for free every time it's your birthday!
you can always email Gaben and ask ;)

Nice new thread @lashman
thank ye :cat-heart-blob:

My god it's already March? 🤯
i knoooooow, right? :negative-blob:

New thread! :blobcheer:

Such an honor to be part of the best thread on the Internet.
daaaaayum ... thanks! :D

Hello March.
hello Echo! :steam_pig_waving:

Nice thread.
:wd_heart:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
The ones (not all) complaining about GOG refund policy are the ones with unfinished or abandoned games on GOG.

Mike Rose has never released the DLCs for Not Tonight on GOG. Incomplete game right there.

Rami Ismail abandoned the GOG version leaving the release day version unpatched for four years and only continued to update the DRM-free version of Nuclear Throne after Epic threw money at him to have it as one of their EGS freebies.

Just some examples.

Found on reddit:

Folks who treat GOG customers like dirt are worried people might refund their games? Shock. Reminds me a little of that regional pricing outrage article on Polygon some years ago. Steam is "discounting" my game in certain regions?! How dare they.

Having a lenient refund policy is good for everyone. I've tried out a bunch of games on Steam I wouldn't have otherwise, very much in line with the post Cordelia linked. Policies like these shouldn't be dictated by outlier cases. GOG can freely reject refund requests if someone abuses the system, much like on Steam.

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Rose, Ismail, the usual suspects. These people live on twitter.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I wouldn't want to say theirs is invalid just because they are outspoken. But they are outspoken. I wonder how they happen to get things done with the time they pass on social media.

And as for my two cents, 30 days is overkill and will just annoy the fuck out of devs, give me 24-48 hours.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
So, i downloaded Black Desert Online and i have "Error 10" and apparently i have to run Steam as an Admin?
Does anyone know if i have to do that each time or just once? If it's each time then sod that! I'll uninstall and get 35gb disk space back.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
So, i downloaded Black Desert Online and i have "Error 10" and apparently i have to run Steam as an Admin?
Does anyone know if i have to do that each time or just once? If it's each time then sod that! I'll uninstall and get 35gb disk space back.
I don't run Steam as admin but I can launch BDO without any problem.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Ah, new thread.
The only day 1 purchase candidate for me would be Cold Steel 3, but even then I wouldn't play it since I haven't played the crossbell games yet, so I'm undecided.
Looking to be a month to clean up some games I'm currently in the middle in. And I hope Friday's Choice will have lots of anime :p

My god it's already March? 🤯
You could say time is.... marching on.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
By the way, I've been playing POE exclusively for several days.
Send help.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
So I'm in this Airbnb in New Orleans and when I arrived, a couple of days ago late in the evening, there have been a little pecuilar detail in my room that made me suspicious: on the desk there's a Mac Mini for the guests to use, and the mouse lies on top of a SteelSeries QcK mouse pad, which, I mean, it is cheap but still sounds a bit overkill. (Also, it's the same pad I own myself, just mine is twice as large). Oh well, it's just a mousepad.
Then I leave the room towards the toilet, and the room besides it was open. It was dark but there were a bunch of lights going on. Oh well, they're just lights.
But then in the morning I got to see what was in that room: a full fledged professional PC gamer/streamer setup.
Comfy office chair, a serious mic with pop shield, a wide ass screen, and under the desk a proper case with lots of RGB going on (could read "EVGA GEFORCE" on the side of the GPU).
It's a bit inappropriate for me to enter the room and investigate further, but damn I'm kinda proud to be in this Airbnb!
Unfortunately the hosts are like ghosts or something, never got to see anybody in 3 days now, but I'd love to ask them what is their stance with Epic, which would definitely determine if I'll leave the toilet unflushed on check-out day.
Yeah, that's not the first thing I would expect to find in an Airbnb. Maybe you're staying at pewdiepie's house.

If ultimately you find out that they love Epic, I'd suggest you also change their desktop wallpaper to a briskly-paced slideshow of pictures of Gaben, our lord and savior.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Hello March. No day-1 buys this month for me unfortunately I gotta save some money for a while after my big phone purchase in Feb. Upgraded myself from a dinky mid-tier Huawei to a nice Samsung S10+ \o/ (Such a massive improvement, both in image quality and performance.) It's amazing they smashed 3440x1440 into just 6 inches of screen.
Am I the only one who doesn't get excited by huge slabs of glass? I NEED a physical keyboard (shortcuts! hotkeys! ...power... user... stuff!)... I'm super bummed that TCL won't be making a new BlackBerry phone...

After my BlackBerry Q10 I bought a Samsung Galaxy S8 Edge but the official keyboard gadget sucked beyond belief. I dropped my S8 (literally, as in "it broke") for a BlackBerry KeyOne, which I'm still rocking.
In case I don't make some unwise purchase decision, I hope Doom plays nice with a 970 in 1080p :anguished-face:
I saw a video where they explained they made some significant changes to the engine (larger maps, first and foremost) but I'm willing to bet it's going to run pretty well (I also have a 970).

Edit: I also seem to recall they were pleased with how the Switch port was received (and sold). It wouldn't surprise me if they were planning on porting Doom Eternal too... Their engine seems to be very flexible. With that said, I'm expecting I'll be able to play on "high", not "ultra" (whatever that might mean).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.