Community MetaSteam | March 2020 - Rise and Shine, Ms. Vance, Until It Is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Speaking of Black Desert, last time I tried it, it was a grind-ridden, p2w mess. The fact that it's going f2p doesn't inspire much confidence, how is it these days?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Durante

I wanted to quote your Ryza post from the last thread, but it got locked. Does the game support downsampling natively? Would playing at 5K on a 4K TV eliminate the need for AA?
The game seems to run at any resolution you write into its config file, so I used DSR to play it.
I wouldn't say that 5k eliminates the need for AA, but the quality is pretty good when combined with the game's normal postprocessing AA.

I actually dropped down to 4k for playing though so that I can maintain rock-solid locked 60 FPS (It would actually run at 70+, but I lock it at 60 with RTSS; Very smooth and consistent).

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
I don't know how but the FOV on my Oculus has somehow decreased by a whole lot so I don't think I'll be able to play Alyx this month. I don't want to experience it in a scuffed FOV, so what can you do. :crying-face:

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
The January visual novel book club thread is up and running, if anyone are looking for some light reading in between everything else that is happening this month. We are reading Eliza by Zachtronics, a story about the eponymous AI program and probably the first Zachtronics game that doesn't have a CS degree as part of the recommended requirements:

Eliza is also part of the current Humble Choice that is available until this friday (hat-tip to Ascheroth).

Everyone swooning over half life and I'm here just waiting for Murder by Numbers.

Murder by Numbers and DOOM are my highlights of the month, since I can't play HL:A.

Fingers crossed for that 970 performance!

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I don't run Steam as admin but I can launch BDO without any problem.
Restarted Steam as Admin and it's now working. I'll close it down and restart as normal to see if it was due to registration requirements or something?
How much do i have to play for it to count as "Registered"? I've registered/validated an account and entered a Family Name, is that enough?

I've got to go save Mira in my Skell, i don't have time for BDO right now :D

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I will buy Ori on Steam if there are (expensive) trading cards, or if I have issues with the PC Game Pass build.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Restarted Steam as Admin and it's now working. I'll close it down and restart as normal to see if it was due to registration requirements or something?
How much do i have to play for it to count as "Registered"? I've registered/validated an account and entered a Family Name, is that enough?

I've got to go save Mira in my Skell, i don't have time for BDO right now :D
Should be fine I guess.

Ugh Skell is such a stupid name, Doll is better.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Can you use multiple monitor configuration with different refresh rates?
I thought there was an issue with the Windows 10 Desktop Window Manager where the monitor refresh rates had to be divisible or there'd be tearing. So 120hz & 60hz are ok but 144hz&60hz would cause tearing. Exclusive Fullscreen didn't suffer from this i think but there's news of a fix in the latest Insider Ring version of Windows 10 that helps. Supposedly.

edit:
Skell is fine for me and i have 99M credits so i'm getting my stray team members up to Level 30 so they can have their own Skells.
First up, Alexa 'cos she's awesome and an L20 Skell just won't do for her! Gonna put her in a Bright Yellow Heavy.

Reactions: Cordelia

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I thought there was an issue with the Windows 10 Desktop Window Manager where the monitor refresh rates had to be divisible or there'd be tearing. So 120hz & 60hz are ok but 144hz&60hz would cause tearing. Exclusive Fullscreen didn't suffer from this i think but there's news of a fix in the latest Insider Ring version of Windows 10 that helps. Supposedly.

edit:
Skell is fine for me and i have 99M credits so i'm getting my stray team members up to Level 30 so they can have their own Skells.
First up, Alexa 'cos she's awesome and an L20 Skell just won't do for her! Gonna put her in a Bright Yellow Heavy.
Both my monitor is 60 but I'm about to overclock my main monitor to 72, will it cause trouble?

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
The Mount and Blade 2 banner lmao

Another month for me to keep dealing with my backlog. Hopefully I can finally finish the Trails in the Sky trilogy.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Both my monitor is 60 but I'm about to overclock my main monitor to 72, will it cause trouble?
Sorry but i'm going to have to give non-answer as i don't know for sure. I haven't had Dual Monitors for years. Some people report tearing and others don't notice it, Some people say to use Exclusive Fullscreen if possible which doesn't use DWM and writes directly to the screen so the issue isn't there.

edit: just checked BDO and yeah, it gives me an "Error 10" if i don't run Steam as Admin. That's gonna curtain my impulse playing for sure.

Reactions: Cordelia

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Looking into VR, I see a lot of games that don't do subs. I don't care how immersion breaking it would be, I need subs motherfuckers.

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Well, Boneworks comes to mind. The steam page doesn't mention subs. Looked at a couple others but not sure if they have dialogs. Boneworks seem to have them.
There is little to no dialogue in the game as far as Ive played, the only speaking in the game is from a speaker.

Reactions: Li Kao

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Busy busy month, the pruning of the backlog was nice while it lasted

For me this month:
Ori 2
Doom Eternal + Doom 64
Half Life Alyx

And possibly Room VR, and Dark Nights with Poe & Munro ( I think this out this month?)

Reactions: Stevey

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
There is little to no dialogue in the game as far as Ive played, the only speaking in the game is from a speaker.
Oh, I'm sure the appeal of the game is not in its dialogs or plot, It's just a big turnoff to me. I'm bad at spoken English. I saw a video of Boneworks with a lady speaking on a monitor, and I thought, oh I'm fucked.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Oh, I'm sure the appeal of the game is not in its dialogs or plot, It's just a big turnoff to me. I'm bad at spoken English. I saw a video of Boneworks with a lady speaking on a monitor, and I thought, oh I'm fucked.
I always play VR games with subtitles as I do not want to miss anything, but never had any problems with Boneworks so far.
lashman Do you own a VR headset? I see you own Alyx.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I want to ask you people what your best VR games are.
At the same time, I don't want to ask.
Decisions, decisions.

I'm really not sure I will click with it, a lot of games don't interest me. But looking into it a bit more, a lot of other games interest me (adventure, shooters).

This post was sponsored by indecisiveness.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Have you googled stuff you wonder about when it comes to VR? :p
As a general rule, it's far more pleasant to ask you people. It's not a lazy thing.
Well, it's also a lazy thing.

No but seriously, I have far more faith in your input than in a random page or youtuber.

PS. But I do that too. I saw that the advised space for room scale is 3.5x3.5 meters. This is a lot.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
As a general rule, it's far more pleasant to ask you people. It's not a lazy thing.
Well, it's also a lazy thing.

No but seriously, I have far more faith in your input than in a random page or youtuber.
First, what VR headsets are you looking into?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Bit curious about something: What's the consensus here on Bloodstained ?
I'm asking because I have played a few hours of it already, and gotta say I'm not very moved by it. It's just "okay". And I really like Metroidvania games, usually. One of my gripes is that movement in this game feels bad, you can't grap edges or anything and Miriam can't jump very far, The levels also all seem very small and cramped. The other, more important reason, is that the game seems to punish exploration. If you push ahead too much, you quickly run into a boss fight, and those tend to go on forever. So if you aren't stocked well in potions and other equipement, then you're dead. This is made harder by the fact that bosses don't have a health bar, which is usually a great way of understanding if you doing well in the fight or not. Removing it doesn't make the fight harder, just opaque and therefore frustrating. Was I doing good? Did I win by accident? Well, guess it's trial and error to find out.

It's funny, because I really like SOTN, but this game just feels frustrating in a way that SOTN doesn't. I think it's due to the fact that SOTN was, for the most part, a really easy game, and a lot of its flaws were easily overlooked because of it. This game somehow thinks that a challenging 5 minute boss fight is good fit for it, which just serves to shine a light on all those issues.

Reactions: AHA-Lambda and QFNS

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
How is your experience ? I mean with VR in general, not the Odyssey.

Oh fuck, there is the matter of my glasses too.
I love VR! But i tend towards the same few games each time i play and i don't use it as often as i should but when i do, i love it.
I'd lend you my PSVR for you to try if we weren't so far apart. I only have one set of lighthouses so i can't lend you my Vive to try.

I have some old glasses that i kept and they have super-thin wre-frames which are great for VR as they fit under the headset no problemo.

Reactions: Li Kao
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
How is your experience ? I mean with VR in general, not the Odyssey.
it's pretty cool :) definitely something you have to experience yourself ... no amount of people explaining it or flat videos of it come even close to using the actual thing

Even higher right now, 19,2 Million.
makes sense - all those grandmas staying at home now because of the corona virus ;)

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I didn't know you can just type nologo into a game's properties. That's really convenient.
Let's see if I can finish Arkham Knight before CS3 is out.
Even though CS is by far the weakest Arc, now that I'm done with Crossbell I'm really looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Nothin outside of GBVS and CS3 for me. Which reminds me, where's my Falcom fighter Kondo? I wanna be a Dana, Estelle, Rixia, Elena, Alisa, and Sara main!

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
For me March it's, at this very moment:

Already owned:
-Half-Life Alyx
-Doom Eternal
-Animal Crossing new horizons (switch, the only console game I will buy in a very long time)

Potential:
-Division 2 (if I'm right and it comes to Steam this month)
-Ori
-[REDACTED] (if it happens)

To be honest, I'm not sure what I want to buy, I have a lot of backlog and lately not time to play as much as I would like, so, we will see...

Status
Not open for further replies.