Community MetaSteam | March 2020 - Rise and Shine, Ms. Vance, Until It Is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Just out of curiosity, what antivirus do you guys use?
I've been using Bitdefender for 4 years (i believe) and the current license is running out. While I have no real complaints about it, it's a bit pricey and I'm wondering if there's anything better out there. For sake of comparison they're asking me 40€ to renew my 5 devices / year license.
I just use the Windows one.

sanhora

Baldr Sky
Dec 7, 2018
I've been using Bitdefender for 4 years (i believe) and the current license is running out. While I have no real complaints about it, it's a bit pricey and I'm wondering if there's anything better out there. For sake of comparison they're asking me 40€ to renew my 5 devices / year license.
Windows Defender is all I've used ever since Windows 7. It gets the job done.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Going grocery shopping is akin to entering a doomsday movie. Warnings are constantly on loop, "take only what you need, don't approach other people, do your shopping as quickly as possible".
I'm pretty sure that coughing loudly would trigger the same reaction as the fire alarm going off.
I've read a story about an old man in Switzerland that started coughing a lot and getting faint in a supermarket, everyone ran away in terror.
Then he stopped faking it and fled away the scene with his free groceries.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Something strange with Blands 3 for me, it runs at a capped 30fps and it's been fine for 40 hours now, but the new place I got to runs also at 30fps but it feels super sluggish like it would be more like 15fps, I'm using the steam fps counter thingie.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Is there not support for ps4 controller in Resi Evil 3 demo? It doesnt work for me. I can obviously use steam input which gives me xbox buttons prompts but RE2 had PS support.

Hopefully its just the demo and the main game will have it.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I don't use a third party anti-virus on my own PC anymore. I'm pretty good at not going anywhere stupid or clicking stuff I shouldn't be clicking though.
I supply Kaspersky onto a few of my old computer repair customer computers despite not really repairing computers anymore. I only use that as it's pretty good at shutting the fuck up and just doing what it needs to do for the not so sharp old folks's computers it's on.

InquisitorAles

I know nothing
Oct 19, 2018
www.youtube.com
Yeah, I use Windows Defender for the past few years as well and it was more than enough.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Windows Defender, Antivir, and MalwareBytes Premium

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
22,3 million users on Steam right now. New peak.

Ubisoft:

I contacted support to change my email from an old, disused one to a new one. They replied to ask for more info about a week and a half later, and now three weeks in it's not done yet. Never change, Ubisoft.

Reactions: lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Durante I'm curious about one thing after reading that Cold Steel 3 post, how do you go about testing (super)high framerates? How do you make sure that some obscure thing doesn't break when fps is higher than 30, is there even a way other than "just run through the game and hope you spot all irregularities"?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Durante I'm curious about one thing after reading that Cold Steel 3 post, how do you go about testing (super)high framerates? How do you make sure that some obscure thing doesn't break when fps is higher than 30, is there even a way other than "just run through the game and hope you spot all irregularities"?
To be honest, we don't have extensive testing at 480 FPS. We do have at least one complete playthrough of the game at 144 FPS, but everything more than that is just spot-checks.

When a full QA playthrough of a game takes ~120 hours you can't really test every situation with every combination of settings. However, most "systemic" graphics things either break entirely or not at all. (Sadly, framerate isn't really one of those. There are several cutscenes in the game which required scene-specific HFR workarounds. And a few battles at the very end which needed to be limited to 60 FPS)

Generally, if you want to make 100% sure you don't run into anything unexpected, you should probably limit yourself to 144 FPS ;)

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Is there something like Subnautica but with online coop on Steam? Or similar? Been looking for something but can't think of anything. Only thing that would come to mind is Satisfactory and that is a bit off.

Interesting I see GMG has STEAM codes for sale of BL3. Is that a first for EGS exclusives?
No. I think Humble gave you the choice with Metro: Exodus once it became available.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Well, in my opinion, if you're having a ton of fun with the game, you shouldn't stop playing it just because you think you need to play other games.
Backlog is an evil word, you don't have to play all of those games (and realistically speaking none of us will manage to play all the games we want to). and maybe that single 30+ hour game is much more fun than 10 three hour games.
Basically what I want to say is gaming is all about having a good time. If you have a good time with a single long game, there's nothing wrong with that and you don't need to constantly play different things. But if you think you'll have a better time playing lots of different games instead that's also fine.

I'm not sure if any of this makes sense in the way I want it to, lol.
This is a wise post, thanks a million 👍

Decided to finish the game till the end. It's really good.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
One other CSIII question, Durante
Why no TAA?
Is temporal AA out of your field of expertise, budget wise, or does the game simply doesn't require a solution like that?

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Last few times I tried Bitdef it was slowing down my system and the settings were a mess, couldn't configure it the way I wanted, dump iiiit. Either go with Windows' own thing (has few options and can be really slow at scanning files) or get one of the fast AVs like Eset or Norton (forget their bad image). Kaspersky is alright too, the rest too hit and miss.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
One other CSIII question, Durante
Why no TAA?
Is temporal AA out of your field of expertise, budget wise, or does the game simply doesn't require a solution like that?
Integrating TAA isn't trivial, but if your engine already renders motion vectors to a buffer (e.g. for per-object motion blur) then integrating it is somewhat tractable. However, none of the Cold Steel games have per-object motion blur, and none of them render motion vectors. So not only would we have to integrate TAA and deal with all the tuning that goes along with that, before it we would need to change the entire rendering pipeline of the game to generate motion vectors. And that's a massive amount of effort... ultimately just for TAA, which isn't even particularly good compared to MSAA (except for dealing with specular aliasing, which is an issue in some places in the game).

Reactions: sanhora and Knurek

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
ultimately just for TAA, which isn't even particularly good compared to MSAA (except for dealing with specular aliasing, which is an issue in some places in the game).
Wouldn't MSAA+FXAA option help with these? I tried the demo, and both AA methods seem to be mutually exclusive.
Or should I just use DSR (4k->1080p) if I can't live with specular aliasing?

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
22,3 million users on Steam right now. New peak.

Ubisoft:

As our beloved JaseC said somewhere I can't remember right now, It's not too crazy to think that Ubisoft might be holding themselves until they can put Uplay+ on Steam a la EA Access route.

We will see, however, some of us are very confident that they will return over time (and maybe sooner rather than later)

Still, I'm a bit sad that my pattern has been broken due to an Ubisoft game, wish it came but it didn't although this outbreak situation is quite irregular, so...

MetaMember
Oct 20, 2018
I've been playing DS Remastered for the last few days, and this game isn't actually THAT hard? I'm at Anor Londo at the moment. I mean, it's not exactly easy either. But, hearing how difficult this game is for all these years, I was expecting something on an entirely different level (not that I'm complaining :p). Though one of my friends told me I'll eat a crow when I reach Ornstein & Smough and/or Manus lol.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Wouldn't MSAA+FXAA option help with these? I tried the demo, and both AA methods seem to be mutually exclusive.
Or should I just use DSR (4k->1080p) if I can't live with specular aliasing?
If you particularly want to minimize specular aliasing, I'd use FXAA+DSR.

Reactions: QFNS and Knurek

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
I've been playing DS Remastered for the last few days, and this game isn't actually THAT hard? I'm at Anor Londo at the moment. I mean, it's not exactly easy either. But, hearing how difficult this game is for all these years, I was expecting something on an entirely different level (not that I'm complaining :p). Though one of my friends told me I'll eat a crow when I reach Ornstein & Smough and/or Manus lol.
Yeah, it's more unforgiving than being straight up difficult, but we'll see if you'll stand by that after completing the game. :pleasedblob:

When people say it's difficult I wouldn't necessarily disagree though since all the unforgiving moments and complex mechanics might as well fall under that umbrella. Nothing is really explained all that well and you're pretty much on your own. Unless you summon other peeps of course.

Reactions: Parsnip and 708

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Dear Diary,

Day 8 of the Quarantine.
Watched "The Wandering Earth" a Chinese Disaster movie that would make Roland Emmerich blush. I can't even....
Covid19 was probably a reaction of the earth to this movie.

why the fuck am I watching one disaster movie after another?

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I've still playing Dark Souls 3 and yesterday I beat both Aldrich and the Dancer. Previously I was having troubling fighting against him so I just took a more aggressive approach. The Dancer was done in my third attempt and the way people around the web hyped it I was expecting a harder fight.

Reactions: Nabs

MetaMember
Oct 20, 2018
Yeah, it's more unforgiving than being straight up difficult, but we'll see if you'll stand by that after completing the game. :pleasedblob:

When people say it's difficult I wouldn't necessarily disagree though since all the unforgiving moments and complex mechanics might as well fall under that umbrella. Nothing is really explained all that well and you're pretty much on your own. Unless you summon other peeps of course.
Yeah, I completely agree that it's unforgiving. Iron Golem threw me to my death for like 4-5 times when I was almost full hp and had 8 estus flasks XD

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Dear Diary,

Day 8 of the Quarantine.
Watched "The Wandering Earth" a Chinese Disaster movie that would make Roland Emmerich blush. I can't even....
Covid19 was probably a reaction of the earth to this movie.

why the fuck am I watching one disaster movie after another?
Try "The Hot Zone" next. :D

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Ive actually got Monday booked off as holiday as we were going away for the weekend and not getting back till Monday morning but with the current situation the trip is cancelled and so i thought....woo i can play HL:A all day but i just read it doesn't unlock until 5pm so i might as well go into the office (everyone else is off now so no worries on infecting people).

Thinking of 'working from home' on Tuesday.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I can't beat Riku 2 (Riku posessed) boss battle in KH Final Mix goddammit, he is too tough. I would have liked a unlimited HP cheat right now. This is why I buy JRPG games on PC, so I can cheat my way out of bosses like Riku 2.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
To be honest, we don't have extensive testing at 480 FPS. We do have at least one complete playthrough of the game at 144 FPS, but everything more than that is just spot-checks.

When a full QA playthrough of a game takes ~120 hours you can't really test every situation with every combination of settings. However, most "systemic" graphics things either break entirely or not at all. (Sadly, framerate isn't really one of those. There are several cutscenes in the game which required scene-specific HFR workarounds. And a few battles at the very end which needed to be limited to 60 FPS)

Generally, if you want to make 100% sure you don't run into anything unexpected, you should probably limit yourself to 144 FPS ;)
I've always wondered about this stuff in particular since it tends to be the one thing that causes very unexpected problems.
I think the new RE2 still has extra knife damage on higher framerates, from what I understand bonus damage is applied to each knife hit based on how many frames it touches the enemy. Reminds me of the Dark Souls 2 durability problems which were similar in function.
I think I also recall Saints Row 3 having an issue where NPC's would traverse real slow on stairs on anything above 30, but I think they fixed it in end.
And recently Vanquish had a lot of issues where the higher framerates would make the enemy bullets hurt you more or something like that.

Just a lot of stuff that you wouldn't think would be affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.