Community MetaSteam | March 2020 - Rise and Shine, Ms. Vance, Until It Is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Game pass is pretty much a virtual demo disc for me.
There's rarely things that keep my attention, but I do play games when I like them.

That's not different from Steam, just more convenient not to ask for a refund.

Also makes me much more likely to try things that seem a bit less interesting at first glance. And to just drop them when I get bored (like Crosscode, which is great but at least five times longer than it should be - definitely couldn't have been refunded on that one), no buyer's remorse when it was part of the sub.

Ultimately it's less that Game pass is great, and more than I just can't finish games before several new ones are released, so buying new things becomes a lot less important. I still manage to stockpile new stuff while never buying anything full price nowadays...

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Apparently some people are unhappy with the English font in CS3. You can apparently rename the french font file to the English one (and vice versa) and get a more stylized font.

Image in the falcom subreddit, I'm on mobile so I won't link it, but check it out if you dislike the fine I guess?

I haven't seen a reason to do this but I guess some people feel strongly.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
My friend code is
[Hidden content]

Paging Echoes and BlindRhythm because I have them on my US account but not on the EU one.
Everyone of you good fellows are accepted, obvs :cat-heart-blob:
Yay! The more Li Kaos the better! :blobcheer:

And folks are more than welcome to add me too if you'd like. :cuteblob:

Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
All good. I understand that the format isn't for everyone.

I find that the types of games I'm into these days are more mechanics driven than anything, simulation/strategy/management genres, so there really isn't much to spoil. Of course I wouldn't watch a narrative-focused Let's Play if I were interested in playing the game myself. But watching strategy veterans like quill18 and DasTactic and KatherineOfSky play through RimWorld, Factorio and EU4 is not only entertaining but also super educational as well. SplatterCat and Nookrium bring the heat for discovering deep-end of the pool niche games. Civvie 11 and GmanLives got you covered on the FPS genre with an impressive eye for historical context both past and present. And Praetorian HiJynx and Tomato's Trash are just super-pleasant streamers, the former a married couple with great chemistry and the latter a funny as hell long-form streamer.

(Christ I'm bored today, lol.)
Yup, most of the streamers I watch are in the niche Strategy / Grand Strategy / City Builders / 4X / category. I also like to play alongside and for some games or mods it is the only way I could ever play or finish those because they are so complex.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
And here is the template for it. 1:1 asset flip / scam / money laundering shit. Reported.

Money laundering.

Release game with high price, but ton of copies with illegitimate money (stolen cards, etc) profit

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Penguin0 is one of the people that I enjoy playthroughs from and I guess some of that is because he reminds me of my friends and has some of the humor that they do. I don't really get to see them any more.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Apparently some people are unhappy with the English font in CS3. You can apparently rename the french font file to the English one (and vice versa) and get a more stylized font.

Looks like those are Ys VIII's fonts, and they are HIDEOUS.

There's no accounting for taste, of course, but Cuprum is extremely readable in high-resolution, as demonstrated both in CS III and Trails to Zero.

Reactions: QFNS

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Blasphemous is a great Metroidvania, but the quests to get "relics" (which you need to reach certain areas of the game world) aren't very intuitive. These quests are a combination of finding objects and using them on NPC's or statues spread all over the world, only to get another object which has to be used God-knows-where. I'm not sure the game gives hints in the lore, but I seem to miss them. These NPC's and statues not being shown on the map and the lack of custom markers definitely doesn't help.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Can someone show me the solution to the 7th puzzle in the throne room in Voxelgram? I keep guessing but guessing wrong haha.
that's the same one i got stuck at :p and it's the only one i couldn't solve in the base game ;) lol

Also thanks to a birthday gift from @Francis W.M. I can finally see what all the @lashman s fuzz about Life is Strange 2 is about.:D
it's AMAZING ... enjoy! :D and Francis W.M. is awesome :photoblobheart:

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
Come on people! Seems it's not only me who needs help!:D

Also, those of you who play Voxelgram, do you notice that after playing that the whole world and everything is crooked?:D
Just started the game recently, but from a quick look I'd say that you can colour the first 8^1 box since you already have a gap at the bottom.
Then, you already completed the 6^2 in the top right, you have 6 colored boxes (the one with the 2s)
edit: you can also color the box under the 2 in the first 5^3 column, since eliminating it you cannot solve it. Same thing with the first box of the same column for the same reason
edit2: same thing for the adiacent 6^3 column, first box and last, you have 9 boxes and if you eliminate the first or last don't count as gaps, leaving you with 6 boxes and so cannot solve it

Last edited:

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

I don't know if it's gotten much play here, but damn Doom 64 is fine as hell.

What's weird is I'm actually one of the 12 people who played it at launch on N64. But as an avid Doom fan at the time it just never grabbed me and I dropped it like maybe 1/3 of the way through. I think my biggest issue was that enemy encounters always felt anemic in size & scope compared to Doom 1 & 2. Everything felt scaled down and it was pretty offputting. And the less said about that horrid N64 controller the better.

Fast forward to today and of course I nabbed it on Steam the moment it popped up. I woulda nabbed it either way, but that launch price of $5 made it that much easier (I still don't understand how the Turok games are $20 a pop).

Well this time around I really took a shine to Doom 64. Maybe it's because I'm enjoying it on k/m. Perhaps it's the 120fps or the 1080p w/improved textures making everything feel far less muddy in both look & feel than I remember.

What I think it really is is that my expectations are completely different and I actually appreciate the unique qualities of 64 compared to 1 & 2. If memory serves, I was down on 64 two decades ago because it wasn't like Doom 1 & 2. And that's what I wanted more of. But looking at it through the lens of 20+ years of regular, annual revisits to the original titles, suddenly that unique nature of 64 becomes an asset instead of a liability.

The enemy models that were 3D renders converted to sprites now feel fresh compared to their flatter 2D sprite brethren. The copious use of primary colored lighting stands in stark contrast to the brown/gray/reds of the originals. The pacing feels more measured. The puzzles and hidden rooms more complex. It all just comes off as a refreshing take on the formula. Not better or anything. But more of a unique compliment.

I'm so glad Nightdive Studios are once again doing god's work reviving the classics. I now have all the tent-pole Doom games on Steam at it feels glorious to have them all in one place and ready to go. Except Eternal. That's scheduled for my backlog later this year.

Doom 64 is a great success(!) Fantastic remake quality at a sweet price.

Oh and pro-tip, type -skipmovies into the Set Launch Options of the Properties menu in the Steam launcher to cut out the 5 (WTF?) unskippable splash logos every time you launch the game.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yooooo! I can max Destiny 2 at 30fps and 1680x1050! Thank god for native console games haha!

Just started the game recently, but from a quick look I'd say that you can colour the first 8^1 box since you already have a gap at the bottom.
Then, you already completed the 6^2 in the top right, you have 6 colored boxes (the one with the 2s)
edit: you can also color the box under the 2 in the first 5^3 column, since eliminating it you cannot solve it. Same thing with the first box of the same column for the same reason
edit2: same thing for the adiacent 6^3 column, first box and last, you have 9 boxes and if you eliminate the first or last don't count as gaps, leaving you with 6 boxes and so cannot solve it
Thanks! Will look into it later, but good tips! The first about 8x1, it's hard to see on the pic, but it already has five painted.

Reactions: lashman

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
The Dwarves is surprisingly good.

The story is interesting, conversations are all voiced and there are some decent cutscenes too. The characters are mostly interesting too. RPG elements are not that deep, but the choices are are and they're very important (from dialogues to routes on the world map). The combat is rtwp and you can switch between the characters, but it's kind of messy and very challenging even at normal difficulty.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018

I don't know if it's gotten much play here, but damn Doom 64 is fine as hell.

What's weird is I'm actually one of the 12 people who played it at launch on N64. But as an avid Doom fan at the time it just never grabbed me and I dropped it like maybe 1/3 of the way through. I think my biggest issue was that enemy encounters always felt anemic in size & scope compared to Doom 1 & 2. Everything felt scaled down and it was pretty offputting. And the less said about that horrid N64 controller the better.

Fast forward to today and of course I nabbed it on Steam the moment it popped up. I woulda nabbed it either way, but that launch price of $5 made it that much easier (I still don't understand how the Turok games are $20 a pop).

Well this time around I really took a shine to Doom 64. Maybe it's because I'm enjoying it on k/m. Perhaps it's the 120fps or the 1080p w/improved textures making everything feel far less muddy in both look & feel than I remember.

What I think it really is is that my expectations are completely different and I actually appreciate the unique qualities of 64 compared to 1 & 2. If memory serves, I was down on 64 two decades ago because it wasn't like Doom 1 & 2. And that's what I wanted more of. But looking at it through the lens of 20+ years of regular, annual revisits to the original titles, suddenly that unique nature of 64 becomes an asset instead of a liability.

The enemy models that were 3D renders converted to sprites now feel fresh compared to their flatter 2D sprite brethren. The copious use of primary colored lighting stands in stark contrast to the brown/gray/reds of the originals. The pacing feels more measured. The puzzles and hidden rooms more complex. It all just comes off as a refreshing take on the formula. Not better or anything. But more of a unique compliment.

I'm so glad Nightdive Studios are once again doing god's work reviving the classics. I now have all the tent-pole Doom games on Steam at it feels glorious to have them all in one place and ready to go. Except Eternal. That's scheduled for my backlog later this year.

Doom 64 is a great success(!) Fantastic remake quality at a sweet price.

Oh and pro-tip, type -skipmovies into the Set Launch Options of the Properties menu in the Steam launcher to cut out the 5 (WTF?) unskippable splash logos every time you launch the game.
I played a lot of the precursor (free) unofficial rerelease by the same devs, Doom 64 EX. And I've been playing the new verison - so it's gotten a lot of play from me. It's a really good port, and better than the old free verison in a bunch of ways.

I also played Doom64 in the day, I had planned to buy it but ended up renting it and spent the money on anime VHS tapes instead (true story). I was real disappointed about the style at the time, in retrospect closer to Doom 3 in style. I wanted a N64 take on the PC game I loved, but I got something very different (also for the reasons you said).

I mean the textures aren't improved, in fact for this new release (as opposed to Doom 64 EX) they've replicated N64's 3-point texture mapping. But the high framerate support does help a lot.

I think mouse control just feels a ton better compared to the N64 gamepad.

To me it's more that Doom 64 is more like original Doom than modern iterations, and it has that excellent, solid level design, gameplay loop, and enemy encounter craftmanship that most modern games lack. Same reason I still play a lot of Doom and Quake mods after all these years.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Doom 64 doesn't feel like true high fps to me, tied by the game logic tic rate or whatever much like other source ports. It even has that reprojection or whatever option to artificially smooth it out but with that on it feels worse to me so I keep it off. And you can disable texture filtering in the options, then it looks nice and crisp (I wouldn't mind having the filtering enabled actually, for the authenticity, but it annoys me that it doesn't apply to the weapon sprites so crispy goodness it is for me). I always liked the game and loved Doom 64 EX for getting to play it before too. Mouselook doesn't really add that much since there's no vertical axis control either (EX had that iirc), these games play fine on retro controllers where you can strafe with the shoulder buttons as there's no looking up/down, jumping etc. After all at that time the PC equivalents had keyboard based control themselves, rather than mouse controls. Doom plays fine on a GBA!

Last edited:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
The Dwarves is surprisingly good.

The story is interesting, conversations are all voiced and there are some decent cutscenes too. The characters are mostly interesting too. RPG elements are not that deep, but the choices are are and they're very important (from dialogues to routes on the world map). The combat is rtwp and you can switch between the characters, but it's kind of messy and very challenging even at normal difficulty.
Last I played it, I wasn't all that impressed with it sadly, but if it did get major gameplay overhauls I'll give it aplay again someday,

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
In these trying times I have found much happiness in getting a random game chooser to work in Launchbox. More fiddly than I liked to get it added to the theme I use but so much fun to be had.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
How are some people finishing Alyx in 9-11 hours? Im at 10 hours in chapter 7, well minus 30-40 min where I had the game open, but didn't play it.

Reactions: Milena

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
How are some people finishing Alyx in 9-11 hours? Im at 10 hours in chapter 7, well minus 30-40 min where I had the game open, but didn't play it.
I'd really like to see how some regular gamers play the game, because I finished it fairly quick (12 hours - with a ton of interruptions) but I was taking my time in terms of exploration and enjoying the environments.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Act 4 in Gujian has been pretty hype. Some damn fine spectacular boss battles :sweaty-blob:

And unrelated, but I kind of have an Atelier itch, hopefully they go on sale again soon. Thinking of nabbing the Arland trilogy bundle.

is it in any way related to the book series of same name by Markus Heitz ? (really enjoyed those books , especially first three)
:highfiveblob: The Dwarfes was really good.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
So after a couple months of not playing much of anything (and even more months of not really buying anything), I finally broke my streak by pre-ordering RE3. After trying the demo last night, I just couldn't help myself.

Gonna have fun keeping my mind off the current crisis by playing a game about a, uh...

checks notes

...deadly viral outbreak. 😐

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So I upgraded my base copy of DiRT Rally 2.0 up to the GOTY edition that dropped this week. Includes all 4 Seasons worth of content. Bonus.

Then I went to install it.

Umm...

(I'm like 2 seconds away from just saying nevermind.)
yup ... and it's gonna get even worse once next-gen rolls in

100GB is gonna be like the baseline for every AAA game

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
yup ... and it's gonna get even worse once next-gen rolls in

100GB is gonna be like the baseline for every AAA game
SSD prices better go down quickly or the same price, but for more space.

I actually don't have an SSD yet, but Im getting it once I build a new PC. Not sure that will be though.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Half-Life: Alyx Update 1.2 released
Additions:
  • Added full-featured support for left / right hand for movement controls, independently of left / right hand for weapon controls.
    - To use this: Select Left / Right hand in the in-game UI, and then select the desired Weapon / Off-Hand bindings in the SteamVR controller bindings UI.
  • Added an option to draw subtitles and captions to the spectator window only.
  • Clarified Height Adjust accessibility options, and set better defaults across various controllers.

Performance notes:

Bugfixes:
  • Fixed a UI issue where graphics settings would appear to drop from Medium to Low.
  • Fixed not being able to use Quick Back, Shift-Dash-Jump, and teleport feet rotation when Controller Turning was turned off.
  • Fixed a case where loading a left-handed savegame from the Main Menu could cause the player to lose ammo.
  • Fixed savegames where the SMG was missing parts of its model.
  • Fixed a number of crashes.

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
Act 4 in Gujian has been pretty hype. Some damn fine spectacular boss battles :sweaty-blob:

And unrelated, but I kind of have an Atelier itch, hopefully they go on sale again soon. Thinking of nabbing the Arland trilogy bundle.

:highfiveblob: The Dwarfes was really good.
I have Gujian on my "to play" list, but I have stuttering issues whenever a resource is loaded in game, on a SSD. :(

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
SSD prices better go down quickly or the same price, but for more space.

I actually don't have an SSD yet, but Im getting it once I build a new PC. Not sure that will be though.
I've always been pretty much in the using almost as much HD space as I actually have for various reasons and for projects I keep on the go. No matter how many TB that is.
However, I still find it simpler to just delete games and re-download them at a later date rather than move them off a SSD and onto a HD. Think that will probably change once more and more games hit the 100gb range.

Status
Not open for further replies.