Community MetaSteam | March 2021 - The Home of Obscure Indie Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Loop Hero is yet another game that got multistore release on day 1 (Steam, EGS, GOG. Humble which sells only Steam keys), yet despite the higher revenue cut on EGS, the devs are only promoting the Steam version.
Humble selling Steam keys doesn't surprise me. Afaik, Epic doesn't support keys anymore, only keyless integration through their API. I've read on Reddit that devs still have to pay Epic's 12% cut if they are selling their games this way, compared to 0% for Steam keys. Perhaps Mor knows if this is true?
There it is. Not really interesting to PC players though.

I'd rather call it the "Whining Trilogy" tbh. I can't stand the new Lara, she complains even more than my mother in law 😞

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
It's definitely a case of the journey over destination. The payoff story-wise is.....unsatisfying to say the least.
Gameplay and world building are fantastic.
Pretty much. This game deserved a bit of a Men in Black kind of ending, something bigger and awe-inspiring capping it off. This was underwhelming.
Nothing i this game was satisfying story wise. Nothing was explained no matter how many documents and audio tapes you listen. Everything was left unfinished to some degree. And nothing offered payoff. They were just building and building and building towards something and never finished anything. In my opinion Quantum Break had better and more satisfying story.

Reactions: C-Dub and Swenhir

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I liked Control mainly for gameplay and world design, the story and characters didn't do much for me at all. Felt the ending was very abrupt too.
Pretty much the same except for the ending where tellingly, concerning its quality, I have no recollection of what happened apart from knowing I finished it. Ended up not doing any DLC though for some reason, maybe the ending irritated me. Good memories of the actual game though, really enjoyed it.

Reactions: LEANIJA

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
The story in Control isn't that good, but man the Ashtray Maze sequence is NUTS:thumbsupblob:
That sequence for me was also just fine. IT was nicely done but based on praise it was getting i expected more, i expected that it will introduce some interesting mechanic. Cause and Effect from Titanfall 2 or Clockwork Mansion level and A Crack in the Slab mission are what i consider exceptional and amazing.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Nothing i this game was satisfying story wise. Nothing was explained no matter how many documents and audio tapes you listen. Everything was left unfinished to some degree. And nothing offered payoff. They were just building and building and building towards something and never finished anything. In my opinion Quantum Break had better and more satisfying story.
I have to kind of agree. Amazing mood still, but QB was a much more impactful experience for me. It did time travel right in my opinion.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Well, Loop Hero is the real deal. My regulars on Twitch have all been playing this, but it looked so ugly and muddy I couldn't even follow what was going on. But it was already cheap, discounted, and overwhelmingly positive. On my own monitor, it looks totally fine, and it is FUN. Just one more loop! Lmao, or not. Don't sleep on this one if you're considering it.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
i dont understand

how are loop hero and valheim a success when they weren't on PS+ or gamepass? help me understand
Do people believe that you need to be on PS+ and Gamepass to be successful? This is the first time that I'm hearing about this.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Do people believe that you need to be on PS+ and Gamepass to be successful? This is the first time that I'm hearing about this.
Yeah, because to those people, indie games aren't worth the attention and money. For "free" though? It's probably worth a shot.

Just see the pattern when a new/interesting indie game is announced, the first reactions are usually something like these:

"Oh this might be a cool PS+ game"
"Interesting, I'll play it on Gamepass"

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Yeah, because to those people, indie games aren't worth the attention and money. For "free" though? It's probably worth a shot.

Just see the pattern when a new/interesting indie game is announced, the first reactions are usually something like these:

"Oh this might be a cool PS+ game"
"Interesting, I'll play it on Gamepass"
It's a really weird way to think. We're over 10 years since the "indie revolution" started and so many people still treat them as "not real games" or "cheap substitutes".
It baffles me how can anyone think AAA games are the only thing worth playing when we've had, off the top of my head, Celeste, Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, Hyper Light Drifter, Transistor, Isaac, and so many others in these last few years. Fuck it, give me any of these over another over-the-shoulder 3rd-person action-adventure sony shooty-bang-bang.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
Just got my achievement for getting two clears with the new Bum-bo. It's a decent character. Tricky to play, and feels a bit dependent on early game luck (you gotta get strong tile manipulation early or things can get rough). His default spell, the negative, is kind of crazy after a few upgrades though, so as long as you get some good tile manipulation, he's not bad in the lategame.

The really nice thing about the update though, is the QoL changes. More information, less ways to get locked into unwanted choices, better UX, both in audio and visuals. This game had a rough launch, but this update puts it in a pretty great spot. It's a shame that this is probably all it's going to get for post-launch support, because it doesn't have that much longevity despite being quite fun to play.

Reactions: lashman

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
What a load of pretentious bullshit.
Even starts with the fat sweaty gamer stereotype.
Lists several "please ignore all those scenarios where the PC is better"
Doesn't even blush when he mentions the costs of keyboard, mouse, and monitor while stanning for a 3000 Dollar! laptop
"You can take it to school, you can take it to work! You can't do that with a PC!" Yes, I'll take my 3000 Dollar Laptop to school and work....
Sure, there is a chip shortage and you can't buy most GPU's But he readily ignores the big market of pre-made PC's He talks like there are only ready-made Laptops or build your own PC.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Don't get a PC that is far more cost effective and upgradable Instead get a laptop that costs twice as much as a comparable PC ?

But, I get the point that trying to find a GPU right now is probably pretty crazy.
That's actually exactly where I was standing a couple days ago when Shadows was rumored to maybe shut down. I have a small laptop and barring getting another, more powerful laptop, there's no way I could find a decent graphics card right now.

Reactions: sk2k and Mivey

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
That's actually exactly where I was standing a couple days ago when Shadows was rumored to maybe shut down. I have a small laptop and barring getting another, more powerful laptop, there's no way I could find a decent graphics card right now.
I have no issues with buying pre-made PC's personally, I either buy pre-made or use "build-your-own-PC-and-we-assemble-it" services. But even a hardcore PC Builder should either wait or use a pre-made PC than buying an overpriced gaming laptop.

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
I thought Bourbon was a Whiskey/Whisky made with Rye or other grains and the Whisky/Whiskey difference comes from whether it's Scottish or Irish in origin due to the different spelling conversions from Scottish or Irish gaelic?

The popularity of the Whiskey spelling in America comes from the Irish immigrants i think.
Irish distilleries started switching to whiskey at some point to differentiate themselves from Scotch. Then when the US whiskey industry was taking off they started adopting the whiskey spelling when Irish whiskey was the most popular and premium type of the spirit. Though by the time Japan began producing whisky Scotch was the premium and that's what they initially based their style on.

- whoever created the english language, probably.
That's certainly the idea that was used when naming towns in Minnesota.

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I have no issues with buying pre-made PC's personally, I either buy pre-made or use "build-your-own-PC-and-we-assemble-it" services. But even a hardcore PC Builder should either wait or use a pre-made PC than buying an overpriced gaming laptop.
True, but then again there's a sense of "when is this situation going to end" right now. 3k for a gaming laptop isn't all that much when put into perspective that this is getting close to the price of GPUs right now.

I'm completely with you regarding the sanity of not buying anything right now, that this is entirely abnormal and that gaming laptops are a comedy. It's just that GPU supply drying up and prices going insane suddenly made that point a little less valid.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
The thing about Gaming Laptops is that they are hardware all packed into one portable small frame, which affects the pricing.

Over the past years as Mobile GPUs became more capable of running games well at High settings or better, they've become much more attractive for one that would want a portable gaming solution, for example.

Personally I see that Laptops for gaming can be categorized into at least 3 categories:
The $500 tier

The $1,000 tier

The $1,500+ tier

The $500 tier tend to not have the best gpu, at best a 4 GB GPU, on average a 2 GB GPU be it NVidia or AMD. For light gaming or running games that aren't graphics intensive, they can serve one's needs just fine, esp. if one is into emulation IMO.

The $1,000 tier is where the decent stuff is but at the same time, this price is twice that of a console, however certain laptops within this price range can last one for over 5 years esp. if they have a GPU with 6 GB (though some may have 4 GB such as having a GTX 16 series GPU). Coupled with a good CPU and RAM, they could run some modern games decently. IMO one could set up such a laptop as the gaming/media center for multiplayer games and emulation, etc.

The $1,500+ tier is where the really better hardware are, but again, due to them being put into such a compact design, their price is pretty high. This tends to be the 'ideal' price for laptop gamers (like me), but the cheaper the better. If one looks up some $1,500 priced lappies or ones around that price point, they'll find some lappies from a few years ago which would still be effective media/gaming center for a wide variety of games.

Non the less, I agree that normal PC building allows for one to swap out parts and upgrade and then resell those old parts or repurpose them for someone else to use while bearing in mind the limitaiton of the old parts.

...and that's the thing about gaming lappies; if you know their limitations you can decide on what you want to play on them and possibly make the best use of their capabilities.

Not sure we'll ever see dirt 5 in a bundle EA owns them now and they don't like bundles.
Hmm I could get the game + all current dlcs for $30....GMG could offer this discount again in the future.
...and Forza Horizon 4 is releasing soon....

Reactions: Rogue Agent
Status
Not open for further replies.