dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Half-Life Alyx is now 1 year old.

But what if we are Portal fans?

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I'm starting Kerbal Space Program following the tutorials. My question is: do the tutorials cover all the basics? I see people talking about calculations and stuff but for now nothing of that has come up
This youtube guy really helped me a lot at the start of KSP...

I sort of followed along with his playthrough and by the end had a good grasp of things.

Reactions: Snakethesniper

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
So it's time to get annoyed again. That Fallujah game has released gameplay.

I sympathize with the guy's pain, but the portrayal of him as a victim we should empathize with, the jingoistic slant of the video is just exhaustingly bullshit. The thing that gets me the most is how they focus on soldiers as a way to avoid questioning anything about any of it because of the misery they experienced. The game doesn't ask about the wider decision-making that led these people there, or seems to acknowledge how regular-looking people can commit war crimes. So much for the human angle and realism.

Then the last part starts, somehow trying to implicitly blame the civilians for being in that theater. I'll admit, keeping food down is getting hard at this point. The whole video is deeply manipulative.

From a game design and technical standpoint, I like their approach and see the merit in it. I just find it employed in a very distasteful game.

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I first heard of Discord when I was in college, they said it was like teamspeak and I had never heard of that before.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018

Well uninstalling games is important XD

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Why
is there no bonfire
Before Taurus Demon?
Dark Souls 1 doesn't do save points right before bosses :p

The road to Taurus isn't very hard, it just requires patience. Rush and you 'll definitely die. Be sure to lure out the enemies in the room right after the first bridge. And a bit further, run up the circular stairs to kill the archer on top of the tower. Good luck!

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Name the sound.
Ha.. I was just about to post the ICQ sound calling you all "young children" because MSN was so modern with all it's animated "emoticons" and fancy features (I probably still have my chat logs somewhere).

As for IRC....let's just say that at the time my university decided to block all default server ports because we were using a little too much....

And yes... I'm old :(

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I started using IRC back in the day because of the Dreamcast LOL, man... Dreamcast online was fun as hell, Quake 3, Speed Devils Online, UT99, Bomberman...

Reactions: lashman

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Two years later (it passed even more) we still don't have any in depth reporting from journalists about Epic Store and how indie developers are satisfied with sales there. Or in general how they are satisfied with the store itself.
Im gonna go on a limb and say that only devs and pubs who are satified with sales and the store itself will publicly talk about it. So far we've only had Saber with WWZ and Coffee Stain with Satisfactory afaik. And everything also points to that those games are still the best selling games on the store.

Blands 3 might be the overall top seller, but that doesn't mean 2K is happy about the sales, they have at least not talked about EGS Blands 3 sales.

Im also very sure that Sweeney and Galyonkin would love to have any dev and pub to publicly praise the store.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

I wonder how this will work? With a current Ubisoft+ subscription, you are able to access the Stadia and Luna versions of Ubisoft+.
Watch this come to Steam sooner rather than later (Ubisoft+, I mean) it's the same way EA came and pretty much the same path Ubisoft is following, putting their subscription service everywhere :coffee-blob:

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020

I wonder how this will work? With a current Ubisoft+ subscription, you are able to access the Stadia and Luna versions of Ubisoft+.
Ubisoft+ includes all new Ubisoft games on day 1, in most cases with DLC. If they're launching a cheaper EA Play-style tier that doesn't include most DLC and only adds games 6-12 months after launch, that would make sense for Game Pass, but I don't see how adding Ubisoft+ as is would make any business sense for Ubi.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
You guys are making me remember the greatness that was Messenger's Minesweeper game and the sadness I felt when they removed it...

Reactions: Swenhir

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
If they're launching a cheaper EA Play-style tier that doesn't include most DLC and only adds games 6-12 months after launch, that would make sense for Game Pass, but I don't see how adding Ubisoft+ as is would make any business sense for Ubi.
Ubisoft+- (Plus Minus)?

Minus Ubisoft Plus (-Ubisoft+)?

It could use a battery as the logo - they can have that one for free.

Plus or minus a few games, Ubisoft's subscription service is the GAAS equivalent to those 100-in-1 game cartridges you could buy in the flea market - variations of the same 2-3 bad games with different skins on them. If I get the service service via my Game Pass subscription I'm probably not even going to bother using it.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
This youtube guy really helped me a lot at the start of KSP...
"This Youtube Guy" is Scott Manley and he's kinda famous among space stuff, space games and kerbal.
He's the dude that attempted an insane "Rescue Mission" for "Project B.E.A.S.T" the Giant Bomb Kerbal Space Program series.

He's well worth watching and not just some rando that Joe Spangle ended up finding. Joe found some good shit there.

edit:

Any of you travelled in GopherSpace?
Damn, i have used some old ass internet clients and protocols. Gopher, Lynx, IRC etc. Hell, i have a BOOK that contains WWW & FTP site addresses for people to try. If i say [UWSL][UWSL]NCSA Mosaic[/UWSL][/UWSL] some of you will go "Eh?" and some of you will go "eh?" because we're old and have forgotten it, lol.

Man, going to IRC channels so you can get the FTP links from naughty people. They even had quiz bots to keep chat entertained while we waited and it was also good fun trying to get Biblebot to quote passages from the Bible that would get it banned by Swearbot. Ha, fun times.

ftp.funet.fi - That'll trigger some memories in some of you i'm sure :D

Last edited:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Once again I'm reminded that this forum is populated by old bastards. :dana_blanket: I'm old too.

Case in point:

If i say [UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]NCSA Mosaic[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL] some of you will go "Eh?" and some of you will go "eh?" because we're old and have forgotten it, lol.
Mosaic and shortly after Netscape with the extruded "N" will forever be burned into my memory. Ah, the sound of 28.8k modem handshaking to go along with it.

But my first foray to internet chat was probably IRC with ircII/Epic through my Uni's Sun Solaris Box and downloading fansubbed Evangelion via XDCC. fun times.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
"This Youtube Guy" is Scott Manley and he's kinda famous among space stuff, space games and kerbal.
I just stumbled across his channel looking for Kerbal help and yeah he's great. He's got a nice voice and isn't a screamy shouty guy. I also found another guy who does Elite Dangerous vids - ObsidianAnt - who has a similar style. I like most things sciencey and spacey so these two are great to watch as they seem to have a real passion for games+science.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Here ya go peeps, Jason Scott's "Baud" documentary. I have Baud and Get Lamp on DVD... oh god even saying DVD nowadays marks you out as old. He is a digital archivist and his documentaries, youtube videos and presentation/talks are well worth watching if you have an interest in such things.

Get Lamp is a documentary about "Adventure Games" ( particularly Infocom ) or "Interactive Fiction" as they are now called.

I think i posted them in the videos thread we have too... maybe.

Reactions: Li Kao

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
So it's time to get annoyed again. That Fallujah game has released gameplay.

I sympathize with the guy's pain, but the portrayal of him as a victim we should empathize with, the jingoistic slant of the video is just exhaustingly bullshit. The thing that gets me the most is how they focus on soldiers as a way to avoid questioning anything about any of it because of the misery they experienced. The game doesn't ask about the wider decision-making that led these people there, or seems to acknowledge how regular-looking people can commit war crimes. So much for the human angle and realism.

Then the last part starts, somehow trying to implicitly blame the civilians for being in that theater. I'll admit, keeping food down is getting hard at this point. The whole video is deeply manipulative.

From a game design and technical standpoint, I like their approach and see the merit in it. I just find it employed in a very distasteful game.
Yep, this is pretty much exactly as I thought it would be. Treating the soldiers as heroic victims, instead of an occupying force, AND make it seem like the iraqis are somehow to blame for the US and the iraqi insurgency/[eventual] ISIL battling it out in their streets but trying to sue those silhouette clips to give the civilians a voice, as if theyre being portrayed equally. The rest of the in-game footage is simply nameless faceless brown people shooting at your marines as your maneuver through the area. Marines are not the good guys here, don't try to change the narrative of history

It looks like a technically and mechanically fantastic game underlying jingoism that would give Call of Duty pause.

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I just stumbled across his channel looking for Kerbal help and yeah he's great. He's got a nice voice and isn't a screamy shouty guy. I also found another guy who does Elite Dangerous vids - ObsidianAnt - who has a similar style. I like most things sciencey and spacey so these two are great to watch as they seem to have a real passion for games+science.
They are both great for KSP and ED but I'm feeling very ambivalent about the both of them. They basically gave the usual, tribal hot take of SC a few years ago and it was as unfair and ill-informed as you can imagine, if not disingenuous. Scott was also a goon, which doesn't exactly bode well considering what they did to CIG and their subsequent harassment of employees.

Either way, I'm glad they are helping people out in those respective games, but I'm certainly no fan of them despite my love of space games. They don't feel intellectually honest to me after that.

Reactions: Joe Spangle
Status
Not open for further replies.