Community MetaSteam | March 2021 - The Home of Obscure Indie Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Might be from an Indian drama
It's like they are shooting JoJo in real life

Jim_Cacher Blu It's the same vibe. It's an infamous clip from a South American Telenovela that i forget the name of. They are cheap(?) daytime soaps that run for years and can be absolutely ridiculous at times.

Found the series that has a brief overview of a bunch of them.

I think i posted some of these in the "Irrelevant" thread a few weeks ago. Obviously some of the Meta Council from those countries can help out. All i know is a few crazy gifs, some memes and some overview videos on just how crazy they were.
Truly dramatic lol. Now I want to watch it🤣

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
For those who liked the Anstoss (On the Ball in english) football manager series:
A new game by the original designer (Gerald Köhler) is set to release in June.

Main differences to the Sports Interactive Football Manager series:
  • "Fast" gameplay (one match in 2 minutes; a season in 2.5 - 3 hours)
  • Focus on the management and development of a club over the years/decades
    • E.g. development of the stadion grounds/club infrastructure is it's own (small) building game
    • Less details (and realism) in the player stats, training and match engine etc.
  • Support for women's football
  • No original licenses (there will be a DLC with some original german league data)
    • There will be a editor (so there will probably user databases for the game)
Preview video (in german):

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I just looked up the upcoming release calendar and this is how May looks like:

May 7 Resident Evil Village
May 12 Huntdown
May 14 Mass Effect: Legendary Edition
May 14 Subnautica: Below Zero
May 21 Deathloop
May 25 Biomutant
May 25 Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Good thing he is not in the game then.
Eh, plenty of people don’t buy games cos of industry figures and news
I'ma need some elaboration here please.

EDIT: Wait this is the Manifold Garden dev. right?
Alex Salmond is a politician who has just started his own political party in Scotland called "Alba", like "in the last few days" recent.
More than that though needs input from some Scottish people and should go in the "Irrelevant" thread or whereever the politics thread is. I don't think we have one here thankfully.
he’s a Scottish politician and former FM, who spearheaded the last independence referendum.
But he has spent the past few weeks hounding the current First Minister Nicola Sturgeon (who was also his protege) in court over alleged breaches of ministerial code for the government’s handling of investigations on sexual harassment against himself. This of course risked her having to resign.
It was all very public and very petty, and risked the momentum of the very movement he’s been campaigning for when it’s at a pivotal moment in trying to secure a second referendum

now he’s desperately trying to get back in the limelight, after Nicola was found not to be in breach of regulations, by launching a new political party that is also campaigning for independence, but risks splitting the vote for the independence cause just weeks before crucial elections.
Fuck him.

Last edited:
Reactions: LEANIJA

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019

May 12 Huntdown
May 21 Deathloop
May 25 Biomutant
Probably just Mass Effect and maybe Deathloop for me in May.

Reactions: Cacher

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

May 12 Huntdown
May 21 Deathloop
May 25 Biomutant
REV and Deathloop for me at least. Probably Huntdown too.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018

May 12 Huntdown
May 21 Deathloop
May 25 Biomutant
Ah just Resi for me and tbh I may even wait

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Subnatica Below Zero i've had since pre-EGS
Mass Effect Trilogy i have waiting for pre-load on Origin

This month I'm going through my library and finishing games i've had lying around at 75% complete and i'm playing shorter games in between them so i don't burn out on them.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Jim_Cacher Blu It's the same vibe. It's an infamous clip from a South American Telenovela that i forget the name of. They are cheap(?) daytime soaps that run for years and can be absolutely ridiculous at times.

Found the series that has a brief overview of a bunch of them.

I think i posted some of these in the "Irrelevant" thread a few weeks ago. Obviously some of the Meta Council from those countries can help out. All i know is a few crazy gifs, some memes and some overview videos on just how crazy they were.
Somethings about this video. From looking at it I was able to indentity 2 very well known people in it. The step brother is a famous actor and he has worked on a lot of telenovelas, and the lady that buys the child with a sausage is also well known.

As for them being cheap, I am not 100% sure about that since some of them do have very fancy sets at times. So the thing about telenovelas is that there are a number of counties in latin america that make them but some of the more well known one with very well known actors are typically from mexico but there are of course other ones that have also become very popular that are from places like Brazil, Colombia and I think Chile. In the telenovelas from Mexico you will sometimes even have actors form other countries, William Levi is a very famous actor and he is from Cuba.

By the way in the last couple of years I have noticed a change in some of the popular genres/themes in "telenovelas" and those themes involve drug lords and religious shows. So stuff like Exodus with Moses was very popular and I was surprised by the production value put into it but I'm not sure what country it's from ( I was under the assumption that it was brazil or something) and then you also have stuff that involve the drug trade.

I think that they are just able to make so many because of the cost and because of the viewer ship and I guess that they are played during the day time? In the US there seems to only be like 6 day time dramas and these shows have gone on for decades and I guess that the people watching these are stay at home parents.

So the ways that these are shown is that they will air in Latin America first and then after a few years or I think even when the show is about to end they will start to show it in the US in Spanish TV channels.

There are a number of very well known telenovelas but they typically have the same set up of a poor person getting the attention of some attractive rich person.

Also you should check the plot for Rubi, I watched that when I was a kid and I can still vaguely remember what happened and they even made a sequel after all of these years.
Still writing the analysis of this week but, this is the result, not surprising AT ALL hehe :coffee-blob:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
This industry is really getting worse and worse each year and more i think about it more i am sure that no matter what publishers/developers do (i mean bad things they do) they will get pass because gaming is getting more and more mainstream and those who see those bad changes and talk about it are getting silenced faster and faster. And sad thing is that they are not getting silenced by those developers and publishers, they just stay silent, they are getting silence by other consumers and industry people. Oh well i guess i am just getting old and grumpy and i should start thinking about gaming retirement because there is less and less games each year that i want to play.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
This industry is really getting worse and worse each year and more i think about it more i am sure that no matter what publishers/developers do (i mean bad things they do) they will get pass because gaming is getting more and more mainstream and those who see those bad changes and talk about it are getting silenced faster and faster. And sad thing is that they are not getting silenced by those developers and publishers, they just stay silent, they are getting silence by other consumers and industry people. Oh well i guess i am just getting old and grumpy and i should start thinking about gaming retirement because there is less and less games each year that i want to play.
Gaming industry has always been very stinky, it just wasn't as public.

Nowadays I at least can expect indies to have my back.

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The part where consumers (allegedly anyway) will go to bat for anti-consumer things is especially egregious. I was shouted down in the FS2020 threads for bringing up the pricing disparity.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Yeah, I feel you. It was hard enough already when we only had publishers to stand again, but nowadays there's always a defense force for everything, Before we get our message and concern across to the companies, we now have to deal with fellow consumers who will try to shut it down.

I just don't engage in such discussions anymore.

Reactions: lashman and Swenhir

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
First of all, we are all getting old and grumpy. Unfortunately these days there is a global tendency to people to defend what they like regardless of facts. On the gaming side it gets specially bad because we were already problematic with this. We had "console wars" since the 80's, and even on PC I went though a lot of stupid discussions on the 3dfx vs Nvidia days (and probably defended my Voodoo 5 way more than I should have).

And while I'm not really optimistic with the way things are going (specially with streaming taking away things like modding and Cheat Engine) we did have several recent success stories on the indie scene that show that at least some people still value a good/fun product.

But whatever happens, I will still be old and grumpy :p

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It's too bad they are stuck on 360 too, since emulation is still in quite an experimental state for that and doesn't look like it's moving fast.

I'm currently playing Tales of Graces F on RPCS3, and it's amazing how far PS3 emulation has come. 100% stable, no stuttering at all with the combination of asynchronous shader compilation and the shader interpreter, and running at 5k internal resolution with impeccable image quality. At this point I'd say that mostly everything which is not some mega-platform-flagship with hand-tuned SPE code runs better in RPCS3 than on a PS3.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Forever stuck on the Xbox 360, I guess. It's one JPRG I'd really like to play, because a lot of the ex Nautilus staff (Shadow Hearts) were involved in the development of game. And it certainly shows.
I learned something. Shadow Hearts then Lost Odyssey. Such great team. Where are they now ?

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
It's too bad they are stuck on 360 too, since emulation is still in quite an experimental state for that and doesn't look like it's moving fast.

I'm currently playing Tales of Graces F on RPCS3, and it's amazing how far PS3 emulation has come. 100% stable, no stuttering at all with the combination of asynchronous shader compilation and the shader interpreter, and running at 5k internal resolution with impeccable image quality. At this point I'd say that mostly everything which is not some mega-platform-flagship with hand-tuned SPE code runs better in RPCS3 than on a PS3.
I mean there is "perfect" Xbox and X360 emulator out there it is just trapped on consoles and MS have no intention to release it on PC XD

• Sad
Reactions: Stevey and lashman

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Forever stuck on the Xbox 360, I guess. It's one JPRG I'd really like to play, because a lot of the ex Nautilus staff (Shadow Hearts) were involved in the development of game. And it certainly shows.
What's forever stuck on the Xbox 360? Are you taking about Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon? Because both of those can be played on the Xbox Series X and S.

One thing I will admit is that I don't know what that third game is and that could be the game that you are referring to, in which case what's it name? Is that the eternal entity game or something like that?

The art work reminded me of Lost Story for the wii.

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
currently working on my own titan quest mod that is fully updated for newest content etc i did a playthrough of the game last week and theres so much i didnt like regarding balance and all sorts of this, is anyone interested in titan quest and ill go into details about what im doing and itll probs be ready to use in a few days, all it requires is a 1 file download too and fuly compat with game without doing custom game

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Touhou Spell Bubble is far better as a game than it has any right to be.

I bought it because I'm a huge Touhou fan, really liked Puzzle Bobble back in the day, and it has a Hololive crossover DLC prominently featuring my favourite Hololive member. And it delivered in those aspects: the story is the usual Touhou shenanigans and enjoyable if you like that sort of thing, all the fan-favourite characters are featured in it, and the music is great.

What I didn't expect is how the game design is genuinely great, and probably the single most successful implementations of a puzzle/rythm hybrid. What makes it so good?
  • First of all, the puzzle aspects and rythm aspects compliment each other well without feeling forced or getting in the way of either one. In the beginning, you just see each as its completely separate thing, then you start being able to use the rythm time for planning your next puzzle moves, and finally you try to set off big combos while the music gives you a large number of beats.
  • Secondly, and at least as important, the way the basic puzzle bobble gameplay is expanded to a game built around 1 vs 1 is extremely smart and well-designed. You are always in a situation where you are trying to remain on the edge of the trade-off between playing aggressively to gain points or defensively so as not to hit the bottom.
  • Even the spell cards, which could easily be written off as just a gimmicky nod to the setting, have a huge impact on the strategy while playing and are crucial for actually winning at the higher challenge levels (at least for someone who lacks god-like dexterity such as me :p).

Also, if you look at the game as a production (which is something I find myself doing more often) you really have to wonder how it all came together.
  • It's made by TAITO, the original Bubble Bobble company, who have existed since the 70s but -- as far as I know -- haven't done anything notable in recent times.
  • But it's fully Touhou themed, which is usually something small indies might go for but not established companies.
  • It exclusively uses music from tons of doujin circles, with a pretty large selection including some of the most popular Touhou meme stuff ever (e.g. Bad Apple and other IOSYS songs) but also some of my personal slightly more niche favourites (e.g. Yuuhei Satellite).
  • The character designs are made by a variety of popular Touhou fan artists (you could say "outsourced", but in this case the implication is a bit different).
  • And it has Hololive crossover DLC featuring the "Gensokyo Holoism" album, which is in turn a crossover project between Hololive (primarily Marine who is a huge Touhou fan) and COOL&CREATE, one of the most popular Touhou fan music circles.

All of this seems like a passion project someone really wanted to make, and I admire that they made it happen. I'd love some sort of documentary on how this came together.

In any case, after all of this I noticed that TAITO is apparently not done, when a frined told me about this:

And now I feel like that could actually turn out well.
Note how I skillfully and naturally made the post relevant to this thread there at the end :p

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Ghostblade unlocked :dmcblob:

Had some troubles because the passive wasn't working.... and it turns out there is a bug that will prevent it from working if you unlock it in a certain order (you need either 10 points in Infiltrator (the stealth tree) or Trickster (the archery/lock picking tree) and then 10 in Phasmalism. It only works if you go Trickster -> Phasmalism or vice versa and not Infiltrator -> Phasmalism or vice versa. I had over 10 in both Trickster and Infiltrator before going to Phasmalism so that broke it....). Thankfully there's a respec mod so I could get around that issue, since I don't think it's ever going to get fixed (maybe in the Special Edition release?). Annoying.

BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!
Shoot an arrow at enemy for massive stealth damage -> it survives with just a bit of health left -> suddenly Ghost Buddy appears right behind it and gives it the rest -> button press to teleport ghost buddy beside me again in case there are more enemies that would gang up on it -> repeat.
I love it.
Gonna need to look for some higher level souls and ponder what equipment I should give them. They have infinite uses for enchanted weapons and can also use spells if you give em the spellbooks. Using a mage soul and giving it a bunch of summoning books to have my ghost buddy summon its own buddies sounds like a fun time too. :coffee-blob:

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
What's forever stuck on the Xbox 360? Are you taking about Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon? Because both of those can be played on the Xbox Series X and S.

One thing I will admit is that I don't know what that third game is and that could be the game that you are referring to, in which case what's it name? Is that the eternal entity game or something like that?

The art work reminded me of Lost Story for the wii.
Lost Odyssey. Yes, by Xbox 360, I also meant the Xbox platform in general. I'm aware they're backwards compatible, but outside of owning an Xbox, there is no way to play them. As Durante pointed out in his point, the Xenia emulator is still in its experimental stages. I've never owned an Xbox, nor do I plan to just to play one game.

Nautilus (also know as Sacnoth) was an ex-development studio that worked on the Shadow Hearts series (PS2) & Koudelka (PS1). The studio was dissolved in 2007 with a lot of the ex-staff members banding together to form a new studio called freeplus. Lost Odyssey was co-developed by Mistwalker & freeplus. I hope that clears up any confusion you had. :p freeplus no longer exists as a studio, and Mistwalker has been making mobile games since 2012.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
What the hell is this? The man's a treasure and is the hero we need.

"f the oscars"

(This is about the event in the gif and not so much about him since I don't know much about him other then this clip and that EA publishes the games that he had worked on)

I mean the same thing can pretty much be said about the game award show. Where maybe at one point it was about the games and stuff but now it's definitely more about shilling for products and stuff and other things that don't really have to do with gaming. I guess you do have to give credit to the Dorito Pope seeing how something like that is very hard to even set up but also to pay for it.

I can't remember how long last year's thing was and it could maybe have just been because of COVID or something but didn't they end up doing something were "pre-show" they announced a number of awards.... Hey the main event should be awards for these games but nahhhh that's how what's really important here. Hell video games announcements for games that will not come out for another 2-3 years (and that may even get delayed an addition 2 years as well).

I just have issues with the game awards is all.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
Looks like FFXIII-2 crashes like a mofo unless Steam Cloud is disabled (for some reason!), guess I'll try that

edit: looks like it's this

Required for fixing the constant crashes.

edit 2: holy shit this is amazing, if I disable steam cloud the thing can't see the save anymore? I thought there would still be local save like in pretty much any other game...

Last edited:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
When there are so many bad stuff happening around the world right now (covid, things in Myanmar etc), I can see why people try to ignore the problems in gaming. To many people, it is the last sanctuary that can still bring fun to them.

[UWSL]On the other hand, bad things will always happen. They are just more transparent now because of the internet. Money has power so only pay to those who deserve your money. I am boycotting some publishers / developers (not going to mention their names here) for many reasons, too. [/UWSL]

• This!
Reactions: Kvik and lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.