Community MetaSteam | March 2024 - Can we find Moominvalley in the Forbidden West?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
It does kinda feel too early for Ghost of Tsushima.

The next in line has to be TLOU2 after Forbidden West.

Just as a guess...

Late 2024 = TLOU2
Early 2025 = Ghost of Tsushima
Late 2025 = Ragnarok
Early 2026 = Spider Man 2

I don't really see Sony having resources to pump out more than 2 big games per year. Would be nice if they go faster and put 3 out every year but they really don't have much to port at this point. The only big PS5 game left to port that is not on that list is Demon Souls which I guess they could slide in there somewhere. And I don't really see them bothering to do Gran Turismo.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
It does kinda feel too early for Ghost of Tsushima.

The next in line has to be TLOU2 after Forbidden West.

Just as a guess...

Late 2024 = TLOU2
Early 2025 = Ghost of Tsushima
Late 2025 = Ragnarok
Early 2026 = Spider Man 2

I don't really see Sony having resources to pump out more than 2 big games per year. Would be nice if they go faster and put 3 out every year but they really don't have much to port at this point. The only big PS5 game left to port that is not on that list is Demon Souls which I guess they could slide in there somewhere. And I don't really see them bothering to do Gran Turismo.
Ghost was released in 2020 was it not ? It's time for a PC release.
I see TLOU 2 released on a PC a bit sooner than late 2024 as well as Ragnarok this December or early 2025.

We'll see.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Ghost was released in 2020 was it not ? It's time for a PC release.
I see TLOU 2 released on a PC a bit sooner than late 2024 as well as Ragnarok this December or early 2025.

We'll see.
I do wonder if we see Sony accelerate the releases of these ports.

Because if they do that could be an indication they need them out fast so they can move Nixxes and all the other resources to port newer titles in the future.

If they manage to do 3-4 this year then it basically means 2025 and onwards we are getting everything day n date from them.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I do wonder if we see Sony accelerate the releases of these ports.

Because if they do that could be an indication they need them out fast so they can move Nixxes and all the other resources to port newer titles in the future.

If they manage to do 3-4 this year then it basically means 2025 and onwards we are getting everything day n date from them.
Their CEO clearly indicated a more pronounced push for PC, have you not heard about it ? Look at 2022 alone, how many PS ports did we get ?

Nixxes are not the only one with PC experience,

• This!
Reactions: Sobatronix

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I wonder if going forward Valve might not get stricter about this and require games with different versions like this to have separate titles and make it clearer that certain languages are not supported.
Is this why PS games say you can only get the game in Japanese if you're in Japan and buying the game? So a big warning like that?
Is the thing that Steam is seeing an increase, but the increase is not that huge?

I remember some one on here saying this might be why they aren't sharing certain numbers. Because years ago, there was a massive increase year over year, but now it's started to slow down a lot and is becoming more stagnant. Or the increases are so "small" that it doesn't look like there is a lot of change and there for it looks like it has finally reached its peak and won't go further than this.
Their CEO clearly indicated a more pronounced push for PC, have you not heard about it ? Look at 2022 alone, how many PS ports did we get ?

Nixxes are not the only one with PC experience,
Who else has experience?

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The pace of Sony PC releases is going to accelerate. Remasters are going to be flooding PS5 to try and fill the monstrously long gaps between AAA game releases from their first party studios, especially since it looks like they’re restructuring.

I expect they’ll mostly be PS4 games, but maybe a few PS3 games sneak in too.

Most of these will be day 1 on PC, like Until Dawn.

And I expect most of the ports will be completed by contracted support studios, like Nixxes only third party.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Who else has experience?
Naughty Dog. They did really well with the TLOU patches.
PC version is alright now. Heavier on the CPU than it probably should though.
I imagine Naughty Dog's PC team is busy with TLOU 2 Remastered right now.

But of course they could always outsource ports to various companies. They have options is what I'm saying.

Reactions: QFNS and PC-tan

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Is this why PS games say you can only get the game in Japanese if you're in Japan and buying the game? So a big warning like that?
I don't think Valve is interested in such a heavy handed approach. They probably just want NISA and Clouded Leopard to come an agreement and find a solution that does not put Valve on the spot legally. Feels a bit like Clouded Leopard messed up and causing trouble with faulty language settings on their store page. So most likely scenario is that both games come back up and things continue as usua

Reactions: PC-tan

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
A Indie dev friend of mine launched his Kickstarter yesterday

The kickstarter is for a Steam port with animated intro, steam deck support etc

You can try the game for free on Itch

Backed. The game looks fun. Also, dev is from Wales so that means he gets a pledge at one tier higher than I normally would.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Is the thing that Steam is seeing an increase, but the increase is not that huge?

I remember some one on here saying this might be why they aren't sharing certain numbers. Because years ago, there was a massive increase year over year, but now it's started to slow down a lot and is becoming more stagnant. Or the increases are so "small" that it doesn't look like there is a lot of change and there for it looks like it has finally reached its peak and won't go further than this.
The platform itself is not declining in numbers in general but it is true that growth is slower now and feels stagnant right now, not a bad thing per se yet but it's something to keep a close look just in case.

Their main absence this year was MAU numbers.

Reactions: PC-tan

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I should ask that in the Deck thread, but everybody post everything here (not me, uh :coffee-blob: )
So here.

I make no secret that I 💗scanlines. But what about the Deck OLED screen ? Should I refrain from gloriously artificially fucking up my pixels to avoid burns ?

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Naughty Dog. They did really well with the TLOU patches.
PC version is alright now. Heavier on the CPU than it probably should though.
I imagine Naughty Dog's PC team is busy with TLOU 2 Remastered right now.

But of course they could always outsource ports to various companies. They have options is what I'm saying.
I'm fully expecting at least 4 PC ports this year. And you're correct not only Nixxes have experience in this task, the God of War 2018 port made by Jetpack Interactive turned out great, and there was also a leak back in the day of one of their employees putting on Linkedin that they were working on GOW Ragnarock so I'm fully expecting those guys to handle that port, and Iron Galaxy (yes I know TLOU1 port was a disgrace) should be working on TLOU2. So if the GoT PC port rumors are true I'm expecting that this year 4 PC ports would be: HFW, Until Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2

If you want to add a 5th game in there my money would be on GOW Ragnarock for the holiday season 2024.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I'm fully expecting at least 4 PC ports this year. And you're correct not only Nixxes have experience in this task, the God of War 2018 port made by Jetpack Interactive turned out great, and there was also a leak back in the day of one of their employees putting on Linkedin that they were working on GOW Ragnarock so I'm fully expecting those guys to handle that port, and Iron Galaxy (yes I know TLOU1 port was a disgrace) should be working on TLOU2. So if the GoT PC port rumors are true I'm expecting that this year 4 PC ports would be: HFW, Until Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2

If you want to add a 5th game in there my money would be on GOW Ragnarock for the holiday season 2024.
Naughty Dog themselves did the PC version of The Last of Us. Iron Galaxy merely assisted.
I'm expecting them to help with Part II as well, and I'm also expecting it to release this year.

Reactions: lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Here is one that will ruffle some feathers XD Thief 2014 is decent game overall. It is held back by some technical limitations but Eidos Montreal did good jobs with many self contained levels.
I liked that game a lot. So much in fact I finished it more than once; did some challenge runs later. it let you customize your difficulty to a crazy degree; and ...it was just fun to play, and I liked the levels as well (but I also liked the hub world, which many didnt).

I think people disliked it because it was called Thief but didnt really feel like a Thief game to them (not that I cared, having not played the older Thief games) ... and it launched with some weird bugs (audio was especially busted), if I remember correctly.

regarding games this month; most likely just Horizon 2 for me.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Strong month. I hope Alone in the Dark turns out good.
Having such a blast with Infinite Wealth. I'm playing it with the mindset that I'll be savoring it for many months without worrying about actually finishing it. There's so much content that it's actually overwhelming. Just gonna take it slow and play other stuff on the side.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
people disliked it because it was called Thief but didnt really feel like a Thief game to them (not that I cared, having not played the older Thief games)
Precisely this, for me.

I love the older Thief games. Thief 2 especially. They are among the first games I played with any amount of seriousness, and the first games I modded for. I actually started learning English as a means to understand the tutorials to DromEd, Thief's finicky level editor.

THI4F (as it was originally and infelicitously labelled) was inferior to the originals (especially Thief 2) in every way possible except graphical fidelity and objectives customisation. It being a soft reboot, reusing the names of existing places, concepts, and characters (Garrett chief among them) but with none of their history and their most interesting personalities and unique characteristics and flavours excised, felt downright insulting.

Had it not presented itself as "Thief", or even simply taken place with a new generation of characters some decades after the previous games, instead of trampling over the existing continuity, its reception might have been.... OK, I suppose. Perhaps even quite good.

I wish there were true modern successors to Thief 2. I can't really think of anything that really scratches that itch.

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Looked up upcoming (not already in early access like Gloomwood) imm sims I know of for a forum reply so here they are: Peripeteia, Core Decay, Neet, Selaco, Judas, DataJack 2020, Safe Not Safe, Final Defect, Neverlooted Dungeon, The Muller-Powell Principle, Sorceress, Retrospace, Heartrender, Serpens, Streets of Rogue 2, Psycho Patrol R, Monomyth, Corpus Edax, Memories of a Spy, Lonely Space, Imprisoned Hyperion 2, ETOS, Skin Deep, Spectra, Athanasia.

Most have a Steam page. Not in any particular order so if you look up a string of crappy looking ones that doesn't mean all the rest are the same :p
Found another pair.

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Precisely this, for me.

I love the older Thief games. Thief 2 especially. They are among the first games I played with any amount of seriousness, and the first games I modded for. I actually started learning English as a means to understand the tutorials to DromEd, Thief's finicky level editor.

THI4F (as it was originally and infelicitously labelled) was inferior to the originals (especially Thief 2) in every way possible except graphical fidelity and objectives customisation. It being a soft reboot, reusing the names of existing places, concepts, and characters (Garrett chief among them) but with none of their history and their most interesting personalities and unique characteristics and flavours excised, felt downright insulting.

Had it not presented itself as "Thief", or even simply taken place with a new generation of characters some decades after the previous games, instead of trampling over the existing continuity, its reception might have been.... OK, I suppose. Perhaps even quite good.

I wish there were true modern successors to Thief 2. I can't really think of anything that really scratches that itch.
Yeah that's basically what I heard from several people, and I totally get it. I'm glad I could view this game on its own.
Oh and yeah, I remember the "THI4F" thing ;)
I also remember the Garrett in this game was supposed to be a different person sharing the name, but that doesnt really help.

They shouldve just called it something else :) (same applies to a bunch of other games, naming in video gaming industry is weird

Anyway, I'm gonna rewatch TBs videos on this game for nostalgia's sake now ;)

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
A lot of exciting things have been happening with gaming on Linux lately. Nvidia Reflex support was merged into DXVK & VKD3D. VRR was finally merged into GNOME/mutter after years (as an experimental flag for now; it already worked for X11, this is for Wayland). DVK (open-source Nvidia driver) making significant progress and will be built in upcoming Mesa versions by default. A lot of improvements across the board for Wayland support.

Proton even got a logo now. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
This weekend I got a few time and managed to configure Retroid 4 Pro and Analogue Pocket to play ROMs and make Steam Deck nice to play them too.
I've been very suprised with Retroid 4 Pro, perfect console for <PS2 consoles era emulation.
Portable console family pick. Now I'm done with new consoles 'til next Switch

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So Balatro is now Steam exclusive due to the rating agencies? Tweet said they don't think it will be removed from "PC stores, like Steam", but it's only ever been available on Steam on PC? Not seen it on GOG or EGS.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
I also remember the Garrett in this game was supposed to be a different person sharing the name, but that doesnt really help.
A different person named Garrett that happens to have a friend named Basso that's totally a different person from the original Basso, etc, in a city with familiar names but unrecognisable factions, and so on. No, it didn't help.

I was so utterly bewildered for my one and only playthrough, at least until I had the epiphany "oh! this is just not Thief at all, it just wears its clothes. Now things can start making sense." That state of confusion sabotaged any enjoyment the game might have offered.

(same applies to a bunch of other games, naming in video gaming industry is weird
I suppose the reasoning is "let's ride on name recognition of existing IPs to maximize ROI & minimise risk".

And it can work... when implemented by people who understand the existing IP well enough to extend and enrich it, not butcher it.

The tragic thing with Thi4f (I'll never not call it that :LOL: ) is that some of the people working on it actually understood Thief. For instance, the existence of the custom difficulties shows that someone on the dev team had been paying close attention to what was going on in the community; ghost iron runs etc. But the people in charge of plotting, characterisation, lore, artistic direction, and some key aspects of level design (a largely linear Thief with neither true rope arrows nor wall-climbing is not a Thief!) completely lost, or more likely never cared to understand, the plot.

The name "Thi4f" is for me the perfect metaphor for the whole project. Someone heard, from a focus group, that 1337-speak was "in", but didn't bother learning it well enough to know that E is 3, and A is 4; and so it came to pass that they called their game "THIAF". So close, yet so very far.

Reactions: lashman and LEANIJA

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
So Balatro is now Steam exclusive due to the rating agencies? Tweet said they don't think it will be removed from "PC stores, like Steam", but it's only ever been available on Steam on PC? Not seen it on GOG or EGS.
I read that notice about Balatro but it can be bought on consoles here, I suppose is more country law than PEGI rating.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Here is one that will ruffle some feathers XD Thief 2014 is decent game overall. It is held back by some technical limitations but Eidos Montreal did good jobs with many self contained levels.
I felt a shockwave in the force which summoned me here and I see this. I got permed on gaf for relentlessly trashing this and I stand by it 10+ years later!

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I view Thi4f the same way I view DmC - an okay game that wouldn't have been hated if it didn't have a beloved franchise attached to it.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
This weekend I got a few time and managed to configure Retroid 4 Pro and Analogue Pocket to play ROMs and make Steam Deck nice to play them too.
I've been very suprised with Retroid 4 Pro, perfect console for <PS2 consoles era emulation.

Portable console family pick. Now I'm done with new consoles 'til next Switch
Little did you know,I have access to Photoshop. It will soon be a "X lashman" post.

• Toucan

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Maybe not modern, but Black Parade and Dark Mod are fantastic thief games.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Hitman Absolution too
(except in that case it's a great game in a mediocre otherwise franchise)
I take it you did not like the new Hitman trilogy then? I did not mind Absolution, but it felt a bit arcadey and overly linear, and I was really surprised that the same developer followed it up with what is arguably one of the best series of modern immersive sim games, with ridiculously complex levels, fairly intricate NPC schedules and well communicated and easy to understand AI. I remember at the time the games were poorly optimised, but with Hitman 3 and DLSS/FSR support, it should run on pretty much any PC from the last 5 years fairly well and scale down (and up) effectively.
Their weird business model of selling the game in a million DLCs was also strange, but from I understand the "World of Assassination" is now one complete package that includes all three games, all levels and DLCs.

Reactions: QFNS and LEANIJA

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Hitman Absolution is shite. Literally a complete stinker. I wouldn’t use “great” to describe that game in or out of the Hitman franchise. It’s a blandified AAA game emblematic of the era where every game was the same goddamn thing.

IOI course corrected with the new Hitman World of Ass trilogy for sure. Shame about the online focus, but they’re undeniably great games.

Reactions: QFNS

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I try not to engage with GaaS.
The new trilogy is not really a GaaS game. It doesn't have any mtx shit or anything that would qualify as GaaS elements. At worst are the dlcs and how they have made upgrade path for a complete gameplay experience and of course the infamous always online for no apparent reason.

Reactions: QFNS

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
Maybe not modern, but Black Parade and Dark Mod are fantastic thief games.

Thanks, I didn't know about Black Parade, it seems right up my alley, as a full-fledged Thief campaign. Back in the day I greatly enjoyed T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age.

I did know about TDM, and I tested it several time; it's great but... I never could really get into it because there is no clear overarching campaign, just a collection of unrelated missions of varying quality, and the ones I tried didn't grab me. I'm not purely gameplay-focused; not even mainly so where Thief is concerned, and I do need an overarching narrative to get hooked.

My dopamine moments in Thief are when I find a secret area with some environmental story-telling and a letter signed by someone whose name I recognise from three missions ago, uncovering secrets that change my understanding of the world and its characters. You can do that at the scale of one mission, but it has less impact.

Maybe not modern,
But that's my point, isn't it? There are no modern successors to Thief. Those games are fan mods, not commercial products. They are continuations of Thief, not a successor to Thief.

It boggles my mind that those games are so beloved that 25 years later (!!!!) many people are still spending ungodly amounts of their free time making total conversion mods and/or reimplementing the engine / reimplementing the game mechanics in another engine, but nobody has actually made a commercial product that genuinely competes with it.

Last edited:

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Since we're all throwing molotovs into this thread this weekend....

Splinter Cell Conviction was a fun game that got a bad rep for no proper reason.

It's often the case that games or movies are judged not by what they are, but what people expected them to be. There's nothing wrong with having expectations from a franchise but at the same time a game doesn't become bad because it isn't what you wanted it to be. Franchises like Mario or Zelda reinvent themselves with every iteration and nobody has ever said for example Mario Odyssey is bad because it's not another Mario Galaxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.