Community MetaSteam | March 2024 - Can we find Moominvalley in the Forbidden West?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I should really get back to Dragon's Dogma. Or start it again, rather.

Should also probably play the Thief games at some point.
And maybe the first Deus ex.
Perhaps System Shock too.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Played about an hour of Atelier Ryza, and while I had a feeling the game would have some male gaze stuff in it - and I have somewhat of a tolerance for that - the terrible character design of Lila tipped me over the edge.

I’m gonna give it another try, but that kind of character design is just embarrassing to play when your partner is going to be watching you play sometimes.

Probably not a reliable source but Gravity Rush on PC would be an absolute banger
Sigh. I love Gravity Rush, but is this going to be a case of Sony releasing the sequel on PC and then wondering why no one’s bought it. Bet it’ll be full price too.

At this point they should invest in bringing both games to PC and PS5 as a remaster collection if they actually want them to succeed.

Last edited:

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Virtua Fighter rumors:
Virtua Fighter
• It is online and esports focused and has online and offline modes including customization modes.
• There are new characters with a modern art style and character artist.
• It is a game concept that changed many times since 2021 up to now.
• Streaming and spectating implementation is an important part of this title and Super Game concept.
• It is a reboot of the Virtua Fighter series in development by current Virtua Fighter staff.
• It is a title releasing on all major platforms with crossplay and rollback.

This is a Virtua Fighter title that is developed to be a modern competitor to Street Fighter and Tekken with esports concepts and mechanics that are similar to current Street Fighter and other fighting games. It is a concept that evolved a lot.

And there is all new main story and side stories with brand new characters.

And there is an evolution of ranked matches that is similar to modern fighting games. This is a title that is focusing on scaling with the player and their play styles when they play online.

Quest Mode from VF4 coming back?
Yes. And in a new way.

And Gust is working on the next proper mainline Atelier game.

Interviewer: Lastly, could you give a message to the users who are enjoying playing the game?

Hosoi: The half-anniversary marks a milestone with the completion of the first part, but Resleriana is not over yet. We are preparing for many things, so please look forward to the first anniversary as well as the half-anniversary. We are also working on a new consumer* version of the Atelier series, so we hope you are looking forward to that as well.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Sigh. I love Gravity Rush, but is this going to be a case of Sony releasing the sequel on PC and then wondering why no one’s bought it. Bet it’ll be full price too.

At this point they should invest in bringing both games to PC and PS5 as a remaster collection if they actually want them to succeed.
I agree in terms of what they should do if they actually want it to succeed, but from my perspective they can also just release the sequel on PC if they want to. I actually own the original on Vita but never had a chance to play the sequel, and it's the one Sony game still missing from PC that I really do want to play.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Probably not a reliable source but Gravity Rush on PC would be an absolute banger
I really want to believe but, not sure with this one, tbh. This, GoT and SotC are the ones I legit want the most, so, having 2 out of 3 would be a WIN WIN, but again, why news in May when movie is still far away? We shall see.

As someone who loves both of them, yeah, I think they would benefit from releasing both titles as a full collection and I bet porting the PS4 version of GR1 wouldn't be an impossible task, but I will also take whatever they give me from Kat :cat-heart-blob:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
A collection for a moderate price makes sense, so Sony won't do that.

Also GR2 is worse than GR1. Goes into reeeeally weird places by the end of it...

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman and Mor

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018

I played GR1 recently, PS4 remaster/redux.
Despite shortcomings, it is fully of creativity. Decent length, finished less than 10 hours if not pursuing challenges.
GR1+GR2 should be bundled.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I think Sony’s PC releases are still by and large PS5-led. If something gets a PS5 remaster, it gets a PC version too.

So backwards compatibility of PS5 is kind of a hindrance for some series, like Uncharted, where PS5 owners get the full set and PC players just get the ones that have been recently worked on.

They need to shift that thinking if they want their PC efforts to be more than some extra pocket money on the side of their main console business.

There’s some amazing potential there, even if only for back catalogue games, so long as they put the work in.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Played about an hour of Atelier Ryza, and while I had a feeling the game would have some male gaze stuff in it - and I have somewhat of a tolerance for that - the terrible character design of Lila tipped me over the edge.

I’m gonna give it another try, but that kind of character design is just embarrassing to play when your partner is going to be watching you play sometimes.
I think that Ryza is not a good starting point if you want to try an Atelier but at the same time want to avoid male gaze issues. I would start with Arland (Totori) or Dusk (Ayesha)

Also, Mystery Dungeon but Touhou (for the 3rd time):

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
i think I was in some underground area and I just could not avoid aggroing the creatures down there, the fact I thought I actually had to fight them probably says a lot about how poorly I was doing. I hated that area so much and dropped the game.
If it's pretty early on, I'm pretty sure I know the place (Cragscleft Prison).

The zombies there scared me terribly. Still do, probably. Fortunately, they are slower than rheumatic snails; you can pretty much ignore them unless cornered. If you want to "clean" the level, there are a couple of holy water fonts around in that level. One holy arrow (two if alerted) will dispatch them with a mighty enjoyable POP!

If ever you decide to try Thief again, know that there are much fewer non-human enemies in Thief 2. Go directly to Thief 2, it's by far the best, imo (and that's a nearly universally shared opinion in the Thief fanbase). Thief 2 = Thief 1, but mechanically more refined, and with larger, more interesting levels.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Damn, I thought Yuzu would fight it since they got so much money but I guess their lawyer said it's safer to just give it away (probably didn't earn more than that) and gtfo. I guess less rich projects like Ryujinx will fold at first notice (they don't earn nearly as much money, but maybe its success made it worse for Yuzu too).

Funny how triggered all the pirates are though, yeah, NOW you won't be paying for Nintendo (what about Sony, they've killed Lik Sang, Bleem & have also sued Connecitx, PS3 and PS4 crackers/hackers and the Internet Archive, are you still eagerly paying for their PC ports now they're desperate for that market or just because you aren't used to emulating their currently supported systems because there wasn't that much demand for it to fund emulator developers to begin with, plus you'd need way higher specs for such an emulator?), as if you ever did, lol. Also, Switch was perfectly fine for 2017 hw, what are we comparing it to, a $1500+ 2021+ iPad (full M1 soc) that may finally kinda run downgraded next gen games like RE4? Or an imaginary Deck 2 that isn't even coming soon considering Deck 1 came so much later, so much pricier, yet isn't even much higher resolution or anything? Come on, be real with your insults @ objects.

Sigh, VR indie dev made gleam contest giving away 10x quest 3 and 100x copies of their game, I guess things didn't go so well and they quietly delete it. On the one hand, understandable if they can't pay for that shit, on the other, don't scam folks. Idk if I should make a fuss about it, it seems nobody knows of it even though the contest got a lot of traction, probably from people who don't even know of the game lol, just the contest link spreading.

Last edited:

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
Yuzu is dead.
Further Nintendo emulators are soon to be dead, because I can't see Nintendo not following on them.
PCSX2, PPSSPP and RPCS3 as well, becuse why not.
No need for legal precedent when bullying works.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
the worst is not the amount of money they will pay, the worst it's they will shut yuzu down.
Horrible news for the scene.

Can fuck all big corpos deffenders there're a lot of them everywhere, you're so stupid, I hope Switch 2 get cracked day one.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
2 million is actually pretty cheap. Would have expected Nintendo to bleed them for even more money. But it shows what the real intention here is, to quickly shut down all Switch emulation. If that goes well, Nintendo will likely go after WiiU and all other systems as well, for sure

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Crazy they agreed to pay such a large sum lol. It really does show how much $$$ there is in this market.

I remember when BOTW first emulated on Cemu or wtvr....the team behind the emulator started locking updated version of the emulator behind a paywall iirc. You basically had to pay unless you wanted to emulate a choppy 30fps version of BOTW. So yea you kinda got the feeling stuff like this would eventually happen.

Emulation doesn't need any type of marketing and internet hype behind it. Especially the type that empowers these sites to start plastering images, roms and software they don't own via their servers.

___

My stance on emulation will always be pro-emulation. Especially when hardware makers discontinue the sales of said consoles/hardware. Once they do anything goes in my book so they can fuck off.

Because financially and fundamentally speaking you can't lose money if you refuse to earn it.

Switch emulation was really wild tho and different than anything in the past. And really showed how dated the hardware was and how fast/advanced the CPU/GPU tech has ballooned in the PC space.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
yuzu download site is already down:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Get Citra while you can, what sucks is that even though it's for much older hw it too wasn't complete since they focused on Yuzu as it made much more money so many games still don't run well even on really good hardware, it's not like say, PS or DC emus that even if they stop now they are 99% there so noone cares.

• Sad
Reactions: ExistentialThought

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Get Citra while you can, what sucks is that even though it's for much older hw it too wasn't complete since they focused on Yuzu as it made much more money so many games still don't run well even on really good hardware, it's not like say, PS or DC emus that even if they stop now they are 99% there so noone cares.
Citra is now down too :disappointed-but-relieved-face:

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018

I think that Ryza is not a good starting point if you want to try an Atelier but at the same time want to avoid male gaze issues. I would start with Arland (Totori) or Dusk (Ayesha)
There is Old Atelier and Nu-Atelier

Maybe I am biased (because I can't get into Open world Atelier without time constraints)
but the old-school Ateliers felt more Pro-Woman than the newer entries
Sure, there were cute girls, but I never felt they were sexualized or played to a male audience.
It was cute girls and women doing cute things and work. And it was about the women and not male fantasies. They would have aced the Bechdel test with ease. Not so sure about the newer games.

Reactions: C-Dub

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Potential Humble Bumble leak for this month

(the hyperlinks are wrong in the reddit post and I'm not fixing them)
Nioh 2 Complete edition is a great pickup. Might get this bundle this months

You know the funny thing about Yuzu? I have like 20 Switch games on my Steam deck, all of them run like a dream and I haven't beaten a single one of them lmao. When it comes to emulation the one that I've used the most is RPCS3 which I used to finally beat MGS4 and Uncharted 1

Reactions: lashman

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
There is Old Atelier and Nu-Atelier

Maybe I am biased (because I can't get into Open world Atelier without time constraints)
but the old-school Ateliers felt more Pro-Woman than the newer entries
Sure, there were cute girls, but I never felt they were sexualized or played to a male audience.
It was cute girls and women doing cute things and work. And it was about the women and not male fantasies. They would have aced the Bechdel test with ease. Not so sure about the newer games.
This is a shame. To be honest, while I appreciate what you're saying, I don't really have any interest in spending more money on the series right now. My backlog is big enough and I have a lot of games, and I was led to believe Ryza would be the best place to start so I think for the time being I'm going to write off this series and maybe come back to Ryza in the future if I'm really short of things to play.

My girlfriend saw me playing Ryza and she said "this looks like a perv game", and to be honest I couldn't really argue there. She's generally quite tolerant of Japanese games I play that have suspect character designs and a bit of a male gaze, so I think my gut instinct that Ryza is off in a way that's just too far was the right one.

It's a shame because fans of the series are obviously very enthusiastic about it, and I really wanted to like it, but there we go.

Reactions: xinek and Kyougar

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Potential Humble Bumble leak for this month

(the hyperlinks are wrong in the reddit post and I'm not fixing them)
In for Nioh 2! Good thing I've already played through Afterimage and haven't let it sit in my library, or I would have felt a bit annoyed, lol. Great game tho, the bundle's worth it for it alone if you like Metroidvanias.
Citizen Sleeper looks interesting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.