Community MetaSteam | May 2019 - Raging About the Rats in Kamurocho

Which of these 4 SEGA games are you getting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
and some indie devs seems to be annoyed by this and blame it on the players
I don't wanna say I don't believe the developer, but I checked out their only released game on Steam, and apart from one weird review (guy played 370 hours but hadn't updated his review from 2017), it seems like many liked it (overall reviews are very positive) while some complained about the easiness of the game or controls/resolution options than having constant updates. I skimmed through them and I didn't see any mention of dead game updates unless the complaints are on itch.io

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
To be fair, publishers did this to themselves when they realized they could release broken ass games and patch them later. The tradition caught on, I guess. Even if the game is perfectly playable.
yeah, it's pretty much all on the big publishers ....

same as with players "expecting" all games to be huge 500h+ slogs, apparently .... that's only because publishers themselves kept making their games bigger and bigger, longer and longer ... and now they're complaining people are EXPECTING them to do that shit every single time

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Every time I see someone playing XCOM enemy within I want to play. Then I remember base building and immediately got turned off. I didn't like it when I played, is there anybody who can tell me what to build and where? I like the missions even with bullshit misses.

I got 7 hours so new still basically.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Does anyone know what the hell is going on with Punch Line's Steam release and if the game is any good? I am eyeballing a deeply discounted PS4 copy, so I went to check Steam and the game just has 2019 listed as the release date. What gives? The game was released in October of last year for PS4 in the West as far as I can tell.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Does anyone know what the hell is going on with Punch Line's Steam release and if the game is any good? I am eyeballing a deeply discounted PS4 copy, so I went to check Steam and the game just has 2019 listed as the release date. What gives? The game was released in October of last year for PS4 in the West as far as I can tell.

Not my tweet but I found it on the net. It seems Pqube and MAGES are not getting along very well and this will be their last project together. Not to worry though, since it seems the Western branch of Spike Chunsoft will be handling MAGES Steam releases now.

As for the quality of the title... I played the JP PS4 version and liked it but didn't like it at the same time. Overall story is whatever, but some of the characters were pretty interesting and kept me hooked. Puzzles are stupid easy, but maybe that's for the best, since it let's you solve them quickly and get back to the VN segments.

I would say both it's VNDB and Metacritic scores are fair, the game is really just decent or average at best. 😩

Reactions: Kvik and Ibuki

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Not my tweet but I found it on the net. It seems Pqube and MAGES are not getting along very well and this will be their last project together. Not to worry though, since it seems the Western branch of Spike Chunsoft will be handling MAGES Steam releases now.

As for the quality of the title... I played the JP PS4 version and liked it but didn't like it at the same time. Overall story is whatever, but some of the characters were pretty interesting and kept me hooked. Puzzles are stupid easy, but maybe that's for the best, since it let's you solve them quickly and get back to the VN segments.

I would say both it's VNDB and Metacritic scores are fair, the game is really just decent or average at best. 😩
Thanks for all the info! I'll wait and see how the Steam release pans out and skip the PS4 version for now. I imagine I will be able to find it cheap again in the future on one platform or the other if I am dying to play it. :pleasedblob:

Reactions: 「Echo」

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Maybe if game developers released a fully fleshed out product instead of a half assed game that they labeled as finished they wouldn't need another year+ to actually fucking finish it and go "Done"

"Why do we have to keep working on this game forever? We only specifically made it for that purpose of creating an infinite loop with no actual end so that players never actually stop playing it! Why are they so demanding! Ugh!"

I see a lot more people who are honestly happy to play short games and complete them in a single sitting as opposed to being locked into a game for days and days because it just doesn't end. They're essentially just palette cleansers from the seemingly normal never ending games that we constantly have now.

It's nice now to have a short story of something like that.
When I continually played WoW I felt obligated (Yeah obligated) to log on every day otherwise I wasn't getting my moneys worth from it even though I didn't ever actually do anything worthwhile in it besides just... Log onto the game.
It feels like this entire post has turned into something completely different now but I really don't feel any sympathy in general towards what they've (Developers complaining about a never ending development cycle) created for themselves. It's like throwing an axe into the air and staring at it and eventually it hits you, then being dumb enough to be angry at the axe for hitting you.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
The only time I recall see "dead game" reviews are on games that are expected to be updated for legitimate reasons. I.e., multiplayer games, games that came out extremely buggy/unfinished, early access games or whatever.

Like what were those two sandbox games, Gnomoria and Towns? I remember those games were once lambasted as being unfinished gems, but that seemed pretty fair to me.
To be fair, publishers did this to themselves when they realized they could release broken ass games and patch them later. The tradition caught on, I guess. Even if the game is perfectly playable.
Though to be fair to the publishers, they didn't force indie devs to adopt their practices. They didn't tell the indie devs to abuse early access or "live service" to make more money. They did that on their own because it was often better for their own bottom line.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Every time I see someone playing XCOM enemy within I want to play. Then I remember base building and immediately got turned off. I didn't like it when I played, is there anybody who can tell me what to build and where? I like the missions even with bullshit misses.

I got 7 hours so new still basically.
Yeah, me too. On top of base building, the time limit was also a major turn off for me. I know it's part of the system, but I hate it.

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Kurt Russell You made it into a Kotaku Article

But I thought Steam reviews were bad! :D

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
yeah, it's pretty much all on the big publishers ....

same as with players "expecting" all games to be huge 500h+ slogs, apparently .... that's only because publishers themselves kept making their games bigger and bigger, longer and longer ... and now they're complaining people are EXPECTING them to do that shit every single time
Remember when 15 hours was a perfectly acceptable length for a game? Do you imagine the SHITSTORM if Assassins Creed or whatever big franchise new game 'only' lasted for 15 hours?

Reactions: lashman

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Remember when 15 hours was a perfectly acceptable length for a game? Do you imagine the SHITSTORM if Assassins Creed or whatever big franchise new game 'only' lasted for 15 hours?
A 15-hours long Assassin's Creed game won't be greenlighted in the first place. That said, I think TLOU 2 will be 15 hours long more or less, and it'll be accepted just fine.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
A 15-hours long Assassin's Creed game won't be greenlighted in the first place. That said, I think TLOU 2 will be 15 hours long more or less, and it'll be accepted just fine.
Yeah, but that's the problem, I do think you can tell any AC story in less than 20 hours and still make it an engaging game. But it seems that every new game HAS to be a bigger one than the last one.

Edit: maybe I'm being unfair here with my examples, but my original point was that it would be nice if AAA games can return to be a one shot affair rather than keep them as a 'service'.
Imagine if Steam user reviews are being removed.

Those people who keep complaining about it are completely clueless.
Those people are like this:

'User Reviews are nothing but filth'

'Well, there's a ton of good reviews, and one with racist shit on it'

'I knew it!'

Last edited:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
B-Tier games need to make a come back. Like the PS1-PS2 days. Not everything has to be a big and flashy Live-Service blah blah.

In 2016, Square-Enix released two Final Fantasies one of them cost a fraction of the other, and involved way less stress and hands on. Yet it reviewed fairly well and by many long-time fans reckoning, it was the better of the two.

Also NieR: Automata. It's praises are rightfully sung to the heavens, it came on a shoestring budget, and spawned countless merch and a legion of new fans for an old-time Director who was almost lost to the shadows. (Taro.)

Tecmo, Bandai, they also seemingly make the majority of their (non-mobile) money on B-tier releases...

When will the west try to embrace this? At the moment it seems all the non-indie Western devs are chasing the live-service , constant updates, constant engagement dream... To their detriment. :face-with-cold-sweat:
Maybe if game developers released a fully fleshed out product instead of a half assed game that they labeled as finished they wouldn't need another year+ to actually fucking finish it and go "Done"

"Why do we have to keep working on this game forever? We only specifically made it for that purpose of creating an infinite loop with no actual end so that players never actually stop playing it! Why are they so demanding! Ugh!"

I see a lot more people who are honestly happy to play short games and complete them in a single sitting as opposed to being locked into a game for days and days because it just doesn't end. They're essentially just palette cleansers from the seemingly normal never ending games that we constantly have now.

It's nice now to have a short story of something like that.
When I continually played WoW I felt obligated (Yeah obligated) to log on every day otherwise I wasn't getting my moneys worth from it even though I didn't ever actually do anything worthwhile in it besides just... Log onto the game.
It feels like this entire post has turned into something completely different now but I really don't feel any sympathy in general towards what they've (Developers complaining about a never ending development cycle) created for themselves. It's like throwing an axe into the air and staring at it and eventually it hits you, then being dumb enough to be angry at the axe for hitting you.
Yea the whole premise of the complaint is dumb as hell. I, and a bunch of other people including those on Meta now, were talking about the over saturation of GAAS early last year, and other people probably even before that. The developers design games to be endless loops, but there's so much competition now they have to be the best at updating or they lose because no gamer can support more than 1-2 GAAS reasonably. My favorite streamer plays multiplayer FPS and he basically only "mains" 2 at a time ever, and his job is literally to play games hours a day. And those skills are even reasonably transferable - I enjoy Forza, BF5, Apex, League (kinda), 4x like Civ and Endless Space 2, Cities: Skylines, Diablo 3, the list is goddamn endless and each one is going to be inevitably on the curb for a while when I'm playing a different one.

THAT doesn't even account for all the non-open-ended games I play, I just finished the PS4 Spider-Man tonight, I'm trying to finally get through FF9, Supraland was fun for a while, etc. Some of those games see tons of updates because the devs do want to make the game the best it can be (Supraland has gotten like 6 major updates since I finished it even), others are released to the wild and left to survive, sans maybe a few critical bug fixes. Those games all do well, too.

Anyone working on games complaining about "needing to update them" has only themselves or their management, at best, to blame. Either they designed it to be updated constantly by building an endless loop game in a crowded market with the heaviest competition we've ever seen, or they released a buggy, clunky game that really does need updates to make it what it should be in the first place.

I get there are going to be superfans that absolutely adore the random excellent 10-hour game and demand more, but those are a minority and if anything just encourage sequels, new games, or expansions.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
This affects indies too (beyond "needing a roadmap") in that you can't just make a game and release it, if you don't do post launch (free!) content updates people on Steam will quickly start coming in to call your game a "dead game", even going so far as to leave negative reviews
Maybe this dev is referring to Artifact? :devilish:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Asking again: How can I assign a direction of the analog stick to a button using controller config?
For example
I want to assign pressing left on right stick to the B button.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Asking again: How can I assign a direction of the analog stick to a button using controller config?
For example
I think you need to change the right stick to a Button Pad, and then you can just map any direction to buttons.
I'm not sure if you can only change a single direction into a button while keeping the rest intact, if that's what you want.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I think you need to change the right stick to a Button Pad, and then you can just map any direction to buttons.
I'm not sure if you can only change a single direction into a button while keeping the rest intact, if that's what you want.
Hmm ill try that. I only need one direction to be assigned as a button.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Hm, you can simply map the other buttons to their right stick directions in that case.
Maybe a Directional Pad would be better here?
I think you'll definitely lose the analogue-ness of the stick tho.

But I'm not an expert with the Steam Controller config stuff, maybe there is a better way.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Have you guys seen the latest AngryJoe news segment?

I really don't understand how all these youtubers always seem to mischaracterize Valve and Steam... Even if they're fairly PC centric channels.
Hmm. Aren't analog sticks usually mapped to two axes? Like x- to x+ and y- to y+? It would be kind of strange if you could map half an axis to a button. What would the other half be used as?

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Have you guys seen the latest AngryJoe news segment?

I really don't understand how all these youtubers always seem to mischaracterize Valve and Steam... Even if they're fairly PC centric channels.

Hmm. Aren't analog sticks usually mapped to two axes? Like x- to x+ and y- to y+? It would be kind of strange if you could map half an axis to a button.
In velocity ultra, you launch a bomb when u press a direction on the right stick. I want one direction assigned to a button so i can have bombs+laser on one button

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
In velocity ultra, you launch a bomb when u press a direction on the right stick. I want one direction assigned to a button so i can have bombs+laser on one button
I hadn't read your first message about this. But now that I have, I get it.
I'm pretty sure with tools such as joytokey you're able to map anything to a keyboard key.

I had to do something similar with a xinput enabled shuttle wheel to remap the returned rotation to a stream of keyboard keys.

Edit: holy shit. Please ignore me. You want the other way around.

Edit 2: as a last resort you could try AHK: Remapping a Joystick to Keyboard or Mouse | AutoHotkey

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Damn, I completely misread your question, sorry. Just woke up :sleeping-face:

You want to click on the button in queston in the configurator and then (either with the arrow keys or the controller, I haven't figured out how to do this with the mouse) navigate to the right stick, and once there press a direction. You'll see an arrow pointing in that direction then.
Then you also want to activate the multi button thingy (don't remember how it's called) and select the button you're modifying.

With this you'll get the button press and the right stick direction at the same time.

Reactions: Tizoc

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
For example
You should be able to configure a steam profile for this. There was a good thread on Era regarding the steam controller which might help...

Steam Input Thread | Comfy Couch Would Be Perfect On PC

The controller configurator is pretty advanced, It might take a bit of playing around with it but i'm sure it can be done.

Reactions: Tizoc

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

looks like Steam changed the UI for upcoming games. Its not updated for every upcoming game though for whatever reason.
I like this change a lot, wording is perfect, most of the games have at least one delay so this puts less pressure to the devs when it comes to release dates, this mostly says "hey consumer, this game is planned for this date but if there is a delay don't be surprised"

Like, it's a really little change but makes a big difference, I really love it :cat-heart-blob:

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It feels like this entire post has turned into something completely different now but I really don't feel any sympathy in general towards what they've (Developers complaining about a never ending development cycle) created for themselves.
to be fair - it's mostly big publishers doing this ... it's not like all indie devs started doing 500h+ open-world "micro"transaction-laden grindfest slogs all of a sudden ...

i mean, sure, a few indies were updating their games after release (proper release) for a long time, but that's nothing new - this stuff has been happening since forever ...

but it only really "took off" when big publishers started doing it ... and they never stopped ... it's basically an "evolution" of them being completely risk-averse and not wanting to invest in anything that wouldn't definitely make them as much money as possible .... why make a new game when you can keep updating the one successful one you already have for years and years

and it's not like the devs in those big studios themselves got together and just decided one day to keep working on games forever .... workers in those studios have ZERO say, it all comes from above - CEOs, shareholders etc.

what really happened is - they saw this concept kinda/sorta working (or rather "working") for a few games (like LoL etc.) and decided to do it for all their games because capitalism

fuck, i WISH we could get a new AAA game that's 15h long max .... even better - 8h ... but that will never happen :negative-blob:

I put my computer in storage for awhile to try and enjoy life abit, but wow it's so boring now.XD
life is overrated 😋

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
I don't think that article is all that accurate other than a few choice cases. Plenty of Devs handle GaaS just fine without needing to crunch or push updates every week like Fortnite's insane update pace. A shitload of the most successful games on Steam do just fine with mostly seasonal updates and minor bug fixing and balance in-between. Rainbow Six Siege gets like two major content updates a year and it's doing better than ever. There's nothing wrong with Glass. It's how you use it, just like everything else.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I honestly don't recall ever seeing this. Not saying it doesn't happen, because I'm sure it does (people suck after all), but I can't remember reading Steam reviews where people complained about lack of new content for finished games. I saw my fair share of "not enough content" opinions, but never a "devs should go back to this game and add more stuff". Luckily these idiots don't seem to have a big audience for their stupid demands, although it's a shame that devs have to suffer through that crap anyway.
Yeah, but that's the problem, I do think you can tell any AC story in less than 20 hours and still make it an engaging game. But it seems that every new game HAS to be a bigger one than the last one.

Edit: maybe I'm being unfair here with my examples, but my original point was that it would be nice if AAA games can return to be a one shot affair rather than keep them as a 'service'.
In all the ACs I've been playing these last few months the main story missions could usually be beaten in less than 20 hours. It's the extra content, collectibles and tons of other stuff that pad the hell out of their length.

Last edited:

prudis

anime occult member
Sep 19, 2018
The Kingdom of Beer and Porn
twitter.com
seems like this one got gameplay trailer with Early access date postoponed to June 6th

cute platformer from mobiles
Some of you might have already played this game on cell phone,for it has already been recommended globally by app store and Google Play.But in fact,Super Phantom Cat was first designed to be a PC game,there were some trouble(like not enough money...experience...some kind of stuff :p) we met.We love Super Phantom Cat,and we really wanted to see our game come out.In order to maintain our dev group, we chose to put it on mobile phone so we could go on our work.

Altough Super Phantom Cat was free to play on cell phone,but in the PC version,we canceled all of the In-game purchase and advertisements.Besides,there will be a lot of chapter and achievements designed only for PC platform.
source

and out of nowhere steam launch of new Dusty

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I've only seen that with games that are in Early Access or multiplayer focused indie titles. In the case of the former there is the argument to be made that breaks between updates should be properly communicated to avoid this. And maybe keep making posts in between updates to keep engagement with the people you are asking for money to show that you are still working on the game. If a developer is dead silent what else should it be taken as them dropping the game?

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
to be fair - it's mostly big publishers doing this ... it's not like all indie devs started doing 500h+ open-world "micro"transaction-laden grindfest slogs all of a sudden ...
It should be obvious to anyone that players time and money is finite, so everyone creating games that are attempting to be an infinite
time and money sink means there will inevitably be games and devs that lose out in a big way.
I really don't understand how anyone thought it was ever going to be sustainable.

That said, punishing indie devs via player feedback tools such as reviews, for saying this game is done and we are moving on to our next project is awful.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Pretty sure she's been even more vocal about Steam than Rami since the birth of Epic. Blaming everything else for the lack of success of their games.

Reactions: SRossi

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
Oof, seems like someone leaked Yakuza Kiwami 2. Only a day before, but still!

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I really don't understand how anyone thought it was ever going to be sustainable.
they didn't ... because they don't care about the future ... they just want all the money NOW ... and they all saw they can make more money doing gaas, so they all jumped on it

wasn't the first time either ... remember MMOs? MOBAs? etc. etc. etc.

That said, punishing indie devs via player feedback tools such as reviews, for saying this game is done and we are moving on to our next project is awful.
agreed ... absolutely

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
On today's news: games industry wants to be pitied for a problem they created themselves out of greed.
They don't want pity, they want Steam to be blamed for problems Valve and Steam did not create, as if it was meant to be both content delivery platform and fascist big brother. How is it Valve's fault that gamers opinions are shaped by more than the platform they buy games on?

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
I mean, personally, cases where above-average indie game are rated poorly for non-game related reasons are exceedingly rare... in fact, people give positive aggregate ratings for almost any title barring some absolute awfulness. There's a reason why 'mixed' rating means 99% avoid. From the way some people talk, you'd think Steam is a hellscape where it's impossible to receive any positive reviews.

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
Hinestly haven't ever seen a "dead game" review that was applied to a indie game that isn't supposed to get it. I see it either on abandoned(or nearly so) early access games, in which where that criticism is extremely warranted, or when a game fails to deliver on content / patchs that were promised at some point.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Hinestly haven't ever seen a "dead game" review that was applied to a indie game that isn't supposed to get it. I see it either on abandoned(or nearly so) early access games, in which where that criticism is extremely warranted, or when a game fails to deliver on content / patchs that were promised at some point.
Oh, I'm sure it does happen, there is no shortage of idiots in the world. I doubt this is anything more than statistical noise though.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I've only seen 'dead game' for egregious abandoned games, too. In those cases the devs should be forced to issue refunds... it's basically fraud.

Reactions: NarohDethan
Status
Not open for further replies.