Community MetaSteam | May 2019 - Raging About the Rats in Kamurocho

Which of these 4 SEGA games are you getting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Can't continue a mission in Tropico 6 because of a bug.
And that's just 3 missions in, guess that's an uninstall

Reactions: NarohDethan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Can't continue a mission in Tropico 6 because of a bug.
And that's just 3 missions in, guess that's an uninstall
It seems that everything about that game is a mess :( I really enjoyed Tropico 4.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Started Mirror's Edge. Tutorial was a bit annoying but once I cleared the first mission it kinda clicked with me. Enjoying it so far, but I wonder if GOG Galaxy's overlay is not loading for the game?

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I literally couldnt beat the first stage in my 35+ hour playthrough on PS4
Yeah that minigame is brutal. I've tried 4 times and haven't even managed easy.

Speaking about Kiwami 2, the port really needs a few patches.
The SSAO looks really spotty and the DoF is way too much (and there's no option to turn it off <.<). It looks fine in Sotenburi, but walking around in Kamurochi is like being near-sighted without glasses..
The physics are apparently also affected by higher FPS.

I'm not really worried given SEGA's history, but it might not be a bad idea to wait a bit before continuing.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Started Mirror's Edge. Tutorial was a bit annoying but once I cleared the first mission it kinda clicked with me. Enjoying it so far, but I wonder if GOG Galaxy's overlay is not loading for the game?
Mirror's Edge is one of my all time favorites and I have over 300 hours on the PS3 version. Its a little rough around the edges and its pretty short but its such an original game that absolutely resonated with me.

Also the guns suck and I recommend completely avoiding using them. (Except for the server room in chapter 9 because you literally need them there)

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Mirror's Edge is one of my all time favorites and I have over 300 hours on the PS3 version. Its a little rough around the edges and its pretty short but its such an original game that absolutely resonated with me.

Also the guns suck and I recommend completely avoiding using them.
In other words, play on Easy :3

Reactions: Arsene

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Mirror's Edge is a good time. I replayed it a few years ago on the Steam controller, and it worked pretty well. I'll also second avoiding firearms.

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018
Also the guns suck and I recommend completely avoiding using them. (Except for the server room in chapter 9 because you literally need them there)
You don't need them there either. It's just really hard without shooting. The only place you need to use a gun is that one sniper shot.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
I don't know if you are using a controller, but in my experience (as I completed both the Steam and Ps3 version), mouse and keyboard will give you a better sense of freedom and momentum. ;)

Edit: Also as these fine folks above me are saying, avoid guns. At all costs! :p

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Turn off that highlight assist thing in Mirrors Edge.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Don't do that on your first playthrough though, the highlighted red stuff is cool and pretty iconic, just like the piss yellow filter in Deus Ex HR and other weird things.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I don't know if you are using a controller, but in my experience (as I completed both the Steam and Ps3 version), mouse and keyboard will give you a better sense of freedom and momentum. ;)

Edit: Also as these fine folks above me are saying, avoid guns. At all costs! :p
I am playing mouse and keyboard. Seems to be my go to for games with 1st person view.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Turn off that highlight assist thing in Mirrors Edge.
No way. Runner Vision is iconic and compliments the aesthetic. It loses a lot of the soul without runners vision.

The runners vision in mirrors edge catalyst is garbage though :sick:

Reactions: Eferis

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I am playing mouse and keyboard. Seems to be my go to for games with 1st person view.
Mirrors Edge is perfectly fine on a gamepad though. Standard X360/DualShock, not even Steam Controller needed.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
No way. Runner Vision is iconic and compliments the aesthetic. It loses a lot of the soul without runners vision.

The runners vision in mirrors edge catalyst is garbage though :sick:
The level design in Catalyst isn't as good either, so while Runner Vision isn't great, sometimes I felt it was the only way to find out how to get through a certain point.

Reactions: Arsene and Eferis

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
I have Mordhau to play and Rage 2 coming, but here I am looking at Risk of Rain 2, thinking of pulling the trigger.

Adding to that, I'm playing this stupid Assassin's Creed mobile cashgrab game, and it kinda has me wanting to pick up Ass Creed Odyssey, even though the last one I touched was part of Unity. I have Origins from the Humble monthly but I like the idea of a full-on embrace of fantasy via Greek mythology.

And here's the thing: Humble is running a promo where, if you spend enough money to collect 6 stamps ($30.00) you can get a $30.00 discount off of a year of Humble monthlies. That would actually incentive me into buying any of the above games I don't need yet want to get, but the stupid fucking promo is only for new subscribers.

Anyway, what do you think? Is Odyssey better than Origins? Is Risk of Rain 2 still hot?

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
The level design in Catalyst isn't as good either, so while Runner Vision isn't great, sometimes I felt it was the only way to find out how to get through a certain point.
Yeah I platinumed Catalyst and never touched it again. I can rant about how disappointing it was but I will abstain.

But how the hell did they go open world but manage to make the game more linear than the original?

Reactions: Eferis and MJunioR

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Republic Commando was such a good ass game tho.
Legitimately one of the best Star Wars games in general.
That entire Kashyyk mission was pure YEET
Hell yeah, played it for the first time this year and I fucking loved it.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Hell yeah, played it for the first time this year and I fucking loved it.
As did I, but I felt the game went on a lot longer than it needed to. It was fun, but uh, yeah. That wookie rescue felt completely unnecessary and the Wookies, well, let's just say I don't feel like I would ever need to let the Wookie win

Yeah I platinumed Catalyst and never touched it again. I can rant about how disappointing it was but I will abstain.

But how the hell did they go open world but manage to make the game more linear than the original?
I wish it had been truly open world and less.. i dunno, mini hubs. It felt more open in the original, imo, simply because the backtracking made me realize just how small the sections actually were, whereas the original game was mostly forward progress level by level

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Catalyst was such a disappointment. The "semi" open-world wasn't enough to try something really different, but it still made the course/level design way inferior than the original.

All I wanted was more Mirror's Edge.... linear but very well made levels with a very unique art style. And it would probably would be cheaper to make than what we got.

And now I want to install and re-play the first one... but I have so many games installed that I'm already struck by indecision: "what do I play now?" ...and end up just buying more games.

I saw that KOTOR was free for Discord Nitro subscribers and didn't realize even Discord Store has Cloud Saves.
Cloud saves are one of the biggest examples that shows how EGS has no planning behind it besides "hurt steam". Such a basic feature and is not hard to implement. Well... it is on their roadmap for this month. Then every developer will probaly have to patch their games - got to work for the next moneyhat.

Reactions: lashman

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
People think the piss filter in Deus Ex HR is "iconic?" 🤢

Literally the first thing I did in ReShade was to get rid of the yellow filter....

Personally speaking I like my Cyberpunk to be a bit more blue than yellow. The biggest problem with Deus Ex HR though is this damn HUD. Playing at 4K makes the HUD super tiny for some reason and it never got fixed? o_O

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
People think the piss filter in Deus Ex HR is "iconic?" 🤢

Literally the first thing I did in ReShade was to get rid of the yellow filter....
It is iconic in that it is certainly the most recognized thing about the game. Everyone who has seen the game remembers that filter.

That is a TOTALLY separate argument from whether or not it is GOOD. IMO it's terrible, but it isn't unplayable. I definitely played it that way near release. However, on subsequent playthoughs in later years, hell yeah get rid of it and crank up the ReShade or w/e.

Reactions: 「Echo」

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Such a stark difference playing Borderlands 1 GOTY to Borderlands 2. I just completed the first area and I've never encountered a dull moment, something that happened barely an hour in on BL2. And that's not counting the 'lol so random XD' humor of BL2. Claptrap is actually funny in the first one, as it is a more deadpan humor than the obnoxious lines they gave him on the sequel.

Last edited:

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018

I saw that KOTOR was free for Discord Nitro subscribers and didn't realize even Discord Store has Cloud Saves.
Inspired by this, I looked up Epic roadmap again, all of features that originally we're april when roadmap was released, and now some again moved to June or July.

That makes them taking 7 months to add playtime tracking to client. (While they internally already track it for refunds). if it doesn't get delayed again.

Latest "updates" (each line is separate update), from last month to this day:

-Support for upcoming releases

- The launcher will no longer require Windows firewall permissions until Unreal Engine is run

-Support for future download service improvements.

-Support for Epic Games Store Web 4.18.0

-Changes to downloading behavior to support future improvements.

-Improved support for external linking flows.

-Bug fixes
So basically they fixed some bugs (not listed) and added supports for future improvements. (download system got support for two future improvements, when they actually ship those)

But none of user facing features that would bring EGS closer to Steam.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Death Mark is an interesting mix of Visual Novel, Point and Click Adventure and Survival Horror. While the "one monster per chapter" thing has been done in the past, the presentation is still quite good. The ambient SFX is good and features a great number of body horrors. Puzzle solving wasn't obnoxious since the game left plenty of clues and item combining/combat is pretty straight-forward. The artwork is striking and best to be played at night, in the dark.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Inspired by this, I looked up Epic roadmap again, all of features that originally we're april when roadmap was released, and now some again moved to June or July.

That makes them taking 7 months to add playtime tracking to client. (While they internally already track it for refunds). if it doesn't get delayed again.

Latest "updates" (each line is separate update), from last month to this day:

So basically they fixed some bugs (not listed) and added supports for future improvements. (download system got support for two future improvements, when they actually ship those)

But none of user facing features that would bring EGS closer to Steam.
They're so full of shit. The entire reason they released this roadmap was because people were tearing them apart because of their lack of features and with the roadmap they and the defenders could point at it and say "yeah, it's lacking a lot right now, but look at what we've planned and how fast we're going to implement this!", effectively drowning out the "nay-sayers".
And look at where we are now. Nothing they've announced for April was implemented. They've pushed everything back in favor of not-clearly-specified other stuff. Wouldn't even surprise me if they're not managing anything on the roadmap in May either because they have to work on other stuff.

And they were probably very much aware of that when they came up with it. Sure they're going to get backlash for missing the milestones, but they can always point to the roadmap saying everything is subject to change and give vague non-answers regarding priorities or whatever.
And the backlash now is not as big and doesn't hurt them as much as back then.

I hate this disingenious company so much. I hope this endeavor leaves them with eggs on their face.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
Anybody played Basingstoke? Just got a 75% coupon for it.
I played it around an hour and it was ok. The big problem with this game is that there isn't a lot of content, it's basically several stages and that's it. They had had plans to add content but months ago the developers posted that the low sales left them in a bad financial situation so no more content.

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
Walking Dead is according to Skybound.
This article from March claims otherwise;
"This exclusive means that each game of The Walking Dead released by Skybound Games’ was available on the PC exclusively through the Epic Games Store. It’s a timed exclusive, and Howe claims that The Walking Dead will be available on other stores “at some point in the future.” "
But who knows really.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I played it around an hour and it was ok. The big problem with this game is that there isn't a lot of content, it's basically several stages and that's it. They had had plans to add content but months ago the developers posted that the low sales left them in a bad financial situation so no more content.
Okay, sounds like a hard pass. Thanks.

Reactions: Echoes
Status
Not open for further replies.