Community MetaSteam | May 2019 - Raging About the Rats in Kamurocho

Which of these 4 SEGA games are you getting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Only 2 friends own Eastshade, only one has actually played it beyond the beginning. Unfortunate to say the least, it's basically a beautiful open world walking sim with some quests and looting/crafting, no fights, small stories but nothing big. The start is slow (there are ways to accelerate travelling later) and you have to be in the mood but I'm sure some here would enjoy it immensely. The ultimate screenshot game. And much longer than I expected. Has a prequel called Leaving Lyndow which gives a good first impression of the world. Lovely all around. But again, only for the patient players.
Earthshade looks really beautiful and I really want to play it, thing is that I'm not in the mood of playing lately, don't know why but I think I will buy it sometime this year.

Reactions: lashman

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I'm very interested in Druidstone, which is releasing in a couple of days, but I have like six million isometric RPGs waiting for me in my backlog, unplayed. Temptations, temptations...

Reactions: Milena

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Nier:A at "over 4 million" is interesting, because by conservative estimates based on the number of reviews it has on Steam it should have sold at least 2.5 million there.
(Unless the specific type of game/circumstances makes people more likely to write reviews for it than for any other game we ever got numbers for, which is always possible I guess)

Reactions: NarohDethan

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Nier:A at "over 4 million" is interesting, because by conservative estimates based on the number of reviews it has on Steam it should have sold at least 2.5 million there.
(Unless the specific type of game/circumstances makes people more likely to write reviews for it than for any other game we ever got numbers for, which is always possible I guess)
It DID get review bombed on like 4 seperate ocassions. So you never know.

But “over 4m” could mean 4.8m for all we know and character action games like Bayo, MGR, and Devil May Cry always did really well on PC. So it is possible.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Should I buy Cities: Skylines? The sim part sounds fantastic, but I also don't want to get sucked into DLC hell. Every time I look at the store page, I start scrolling through the DLC list and my interest just ... fizzles out. Every single DLC looks like it contributes something interesting, but the one bundle is like $155, and that's after a 9% discount. Ugh.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Should I buy Cities: Skylines? The sim part sounds fantastic, but I also don't want to get sucked into DLC hell. Every time I look at the store page, I start scrolling through the DLC list and my interest just ... fizzles out. Every single DLC looks like it contributes something interesting, but the one bundle is like $155, and that's after a 9% discount. Ugh.
Buy it when it's on sale

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Only 2 friends own Eastshade, only one has actually played it beyond the beginning. Unfortunate to say the least, it's basically a beautiful open world walking sim with some quests and looting/crafting, no fights, small stories but nothing big. The start is slow (there are ways to accelerate travelling later) and you have to be in the mood but I'm sure some here would enjoy it immensely. The ultimate screenshot game. And much longer than I expected. Has a prequel called Leaving Lyndow which gives a good first impression of the world. Lovely all around. But again, only for the patient players.
Ashamed to admit that I haven't left the first village yet. I'm planning to get back into it and properly play it, though! :upside-down-face:

Reactions: derExperte

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
I'm very interested in Druidstone, which is releasing in a couple of days, but I have like six million isometric RPGs waiting for me in my backlog, unplayed. Temptations, temptations...

I've had this on my wishlist for a long time so I just went ahead and pre-ordered through their site, which goes through Humble. It's the last day for the pre-order discount of 10% plus you get the Steam version and a DRM-free version.

Reactions: Deleted member 113
Dec 5, 2018
After some hours playing Kiwami 2 I can say that the game looks impressive (sadly no AA solution seems to fully remove the jaggies, and downsampling/SSAA is obviously killing my performance). Other than that it seems fine. I haven't played much, tho. I guess I'll try to unlock the cabaret today.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
I need a good sale for Monster Hunter World.

The beta on PS4 was all underpowered weapons whacking a whimpering wild animal while it tried to run for safety.

There has to be more to the game than that, but I need a good sale so I can feel alright about dropping the game if it turns out to be Animal Abuse Simulator.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

The beta on PS4 was all underpowered weapons whacking a whimpering wild animal while it tried to run for safety.

There has to be more to the game than that, but I need a good sale so I can feel alright about dropping the game if it turns out to be Animal Abuse Simulator.
The game is super basic at the start and takes until High Rank to really get into. So if you’re not willing to give it a fair chance and will just drop it after an hour or two it probably isnt the game for you.

Also its significantly better with friends.

Reactions: Ascheroth
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
here's what Playtracker says:

you ABSOLUTELY should buy it ... it's great ... even without any of the DLC stuff

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

The game is super basic at the start and takes until High Rank to really get into. So if you’re not willing to give it a fair chance and will just drop it after an hour or two it probably isnt the game for you.

Also its significantly better with friends.
It's really important to find a weapon that clicks with you. I spent like 2 or 3 hours at the beginning going through them before I found something I liked (+watching weapon tutorials on youtube to get an idea on how to use them).
They're all pretty cool, but also really different and everyone has different preferences, especially at the beginning.

Reactions: Arsene
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Reactions: Rogue Agent

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Shouldn't it be FOMO instead of FEAR in the title? 'Fear Of Missing Out'?

EDIT: Wait I'm being silly, using FEAR is a better way catch attention than FOMO :x

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
So I dont have cable at my house but I was at my mom's for mothers day and after the Blue Jays game there was "Overwatch League" on basic cable! I watched a few minutes and it was something...I cannot imagine there are more than 5 people in Canada that watched that.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
So I dont have cable at my house but I was at my mom's for mothers day and after the Blue Jays game there was "Overwatch League" on basic cable! I watched a few minutes and it was something...I cannot imagine there are more than 5 people in Canada that watched that.
Overwatch League rakes in millions of views on TV. I have it on in the background occasionally

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
Overwatch League rakes in millions of views on TV. I have it on in the background occasionally
Interesting. That is the first I have ever seen of it, but again I dont have cable and I dont follow esports. What a time to be alive.

Reactions: Arsene

OMEGALUL

Apr 15, 2019
That Oddworld game doesn't look to bad but I'm pretty sure its money hatted by epic till 202x

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
OK, Assassin's Creed Unity's story missions are done. It's a nice game, a little buggy at times but nowhere near what I expected from the comments at launch. Maybe they patched it a lot, which is good, though it doesn't excuse the state it apparently launched in. Now I need to play the Dead Kings DLC so I can move on to Chronicles: India and Syndicate.

If there's something I learned from all this, it's to install beat-and-delete open world games on my SSD. The loading times in Unity were excessively high, and since I'm going to uninstall them as soon as I'm done with the story and DLCs, there's nothing bad with temporarily filling the SSD. Hell, I've had GTA V installed there for over 4 years and I haven't played it yet (apart from the first 2 missions and the online tutorial).

Reactions: Echoes and Milena

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I just realized Hyponospace Outlaw is on sale apart of the LudoNarraCon sale. (which ends in an hour and 20 minutes oops lol)

Its 15% off and its pretty fantastic. It got overshadowed by Baba Is You which came out a day later but I absolutely loved it. Super bizarre parody of Yahoo GeoCities with a great soundtrack. The writing feels really authentic and every area of hypnospace felt like a clique with their own slang and personalities, the game also has time skips as you go through the story so its fun to go through every website as time goes on to see how they change and how the users react to your moderation. Great character development and world building really kept me interested in what was going on.

I loved every second I spent with it and I definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in these types of games. There's also workshop support planned so people can make their own websites so that could be pretty cool too.

I'm a big fan of the weird 90s/early 2000s internet aesthetic though so this game was a magnet for me :p

EDIT: Also for clarity's sake this game isn't a nostalgia piece. When Y2K happened I was a baby so nostalgia has no effect on my opinions of this game.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
I've been playing Gothic 2 and it's the hardest ARPG I've ever played. Good luck getting through chapter 3 without having played the expansion first, and even then it's still very hard.

Reactions: arts&crafts

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I've been playing Gothic 2 and it's the hardest ARPG I've ever played. Good luck getting through chapter 3 without having played the expansion first, and even then it's still very hard.
Gothic 2 is great, but imho the expansion totally fucks up the stat progression and requirements and is designed to be much harder.
There's probably a mod to change LP requirements back to vanilla Gothic, that probably messes up some other balancing thingies.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Kind of bummed that the Cities Skylines news from a few days ago was just another DLC thingy.
They must me getting closer to a full sequel though, it's been over 4 years now.

Now I need to play the Dead Kings DLC so I can move on to Chronicles: India and Syndicate.
The worst thing about Dead Kings is that you can't turn off chromatic abomination, from the menus at least. Hopefully you aren't too sensitive to it.
I remember someone figured out a pretty good reshade setting for it that kind of sort of counteracted it, but it's a shame.

Reactions: RionaaM
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Kind of bummed that the Cities Skylines news from a few days ago was just another DLC thingy.
They must me getting closer to a full sequel though, it's been over 4 years now.
yeah, same ... and yeah, i'm really hoping the sequel isn't far off

Reactions: JMTHEFOX

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
As much as I like new content for Cities Skylines, I am interested on what the sequel would look like.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Saw new video about Plague Tale, hype-level went from 'oh ya I preordered this' to 'move over RAGE 2, imma play this first'. Visually lovely, decent length with 10-12hrs, good story and characters and some fun mechanics (speaking of the rats). Afraid it'll get buried though.

:confounded-face:

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Welp, there's my daily reminder that I'm getting old.
you already are ;)

Saw new video about Plague Tale, hype-level went from 'oh ya I preordered this' to 'move over RAGE 2, imma play this first'. Visually lovely, decent length with 10-12hrs, good story and characters and some fun mechanics (speaking of the rats). Afraid it'll get buried though.
... and has a pettable doggo! that's the most important thing!

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
The good thing is that the game is totally playable even without DLCs.
The bulk of the game are mods more than anything, and every DLC brought with it a beefy free update containing the core changes, so by and large new mods should work no matter what.

Anyway, my approach with C:SL DLCs has been to just pick the ones I'm interested into.
For example, Snowfall and Mass Transit added a lot of transports options, and I love them.
Natural Disaster brought disasters (duh), and I've never really cared about them since the Sim City days, so I've never bought it.

All in all, pick the base game, try it for a while, start subscribing to some mods (IIRC the most downloaded/rated lists on Steam is good enough to start) and see how it feels.
It goes on sale all the time and on many stores, so you'll have time to pick the DLCs up.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Can the dude in Sekiro only be upgraded with prayer breads? What does the XP/level/ranking actually do?

Deleted member 113

I'm all for a Ghostbusters remaster.

The game is probably the closest we are ever getting to a Ghostbusters 3, and while it certainly isn't an old title, and still looks pretty good, just a few QOL improvements (achievements, some added graphics options, maybe adding back the multiplayer mode that was removed from the PC version) is enough to make me want to buy the game again.

Plus, it will be great to have the game back on sale, for those who missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.