Community MetaSteam | May 2020 - We May Or May Not Be Around In June!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I think what makes it worse is how notoriously shite Denuvo anti-tamper is. Also yes A SP GAME having anti-cheat, regardless if it has a MP function or not. What if i want to trainer and just cause mayhem in SP mode?!?
Denuvo anti cheat and Denuvo anti tamper are different things. The anti tamper was there from the beginning anyway, right?

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
He also talks about how to make wishlisted games into sales and mentions the abandoned-cart problem.
It reminds me of this graph which I saw yesterday: for most games, only 10%-25% of wish-list additions are converted to sales within a year. That means that the usual case is that about 4 people out of 5 wish-list a game and totally forget about its existence until they purge their wish-list.

Plus, I suspect that the high-end of the wish-list conversion comes from games which are not yet released: ~25% of the wish-list additions prior to release are converted into sales during the release year. Conversion rate for wish-list additions after the release are likely closer to 15%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe Spangle

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
It reminds me of this graph which I saw yesterday: for most games, only 10%-25% of wish-list additions are converted to sales within a year. That means that the usual case is that about 4 people out of 5 wish-list a game and totally forget about its existence until they purge their wish-list.

He also talks about the phenomenon of forgetting games you wishlisted.
Games that are less frequent on sales are forgotten more often "why did I wishlist the game" was a phrase he often got. Games that are on sale more frequently are remembered longer.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I wonder if this version will be playable in english, since it's going to be published through DMM 「Echo」

SINoALICE coming to PC? I totally expect Square to release it on Steam when it comes to the West.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018

Plus, I suspect that the high-end of the wish-list conversion comes from games which are not yet released: ~25% of the wish-list additions prior to release are converted into sales during the release year. Conversion rate for wish-list additions after the release are likely closer to 15%.

That would make sense that a huge number of wishlisted games would struggle to convert after a while if they don't have good sales.
I don't see the reason to buy a game for -25% off if it was released years ago. There's tons of them in my WL, if I wanted them at that price, I could have done so at release on GMG or whatever.
Frequent sales is absolutely a big help to remind me that things exist, but numbers need to drop at some point too.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Whishlists is a bit weird topic as a lot of people use it as a completely different tool, while it's supposed to be a reminder of what do you want to but and when it goes to sale, I, for example, use it to complete my spreadsheets and calculate packages (weird, I know) so those graphs might not represent me as I have my own system for buying games based on thematic packages and seasonal moments (again, it's weird I know haha)

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
I think what makes it worse is how notoriously shite Denuvo anti-tamper is. Also yes A SP GAME having anti-cheat, regardless if it has a MP function or not.
Denuvo is a robust anti-tamper solution that has proven very effective. It is not "notoriously shite" in any sense. If Bethesda hadn't leaked the unprotected exe, Doom Eternal would not be pirated. None of the other Denuvo games released this year have been cracked. It is not likely Doom Eternal will be cracked anytime soon, meaning the juicy story DLC and new gameplay features will remain exclusive to the legitimate version.

If Denuvo anti-cheat is anything like Denuvo anti-tamper in terms of effectiveness, it will become widely adopted. (Although it has some stiff competition from EAC and the like, just as Denuvo's major anti-tamper competitor is Arxan which is very, very good.) But publishers are already using Denuvo anti-tamper, so I'm sure there will be some appealing 2 for the price of 1 deals going on.
Though due to multiplayer not being what people play DOOM for, the multiplayer part of the game really should have been a separate application.
Firstly, it is depressing that the game which invented Deathmatch has an audience that doesn't like multiplayer. Talk about drifting from your roots. RIP, arena shooters.

Secondly, Invasion Mode, where other players attack you in singleplayer. Major gameplay feature. Delayed until post-release because this game was rushed. You can't split Doom Eternal into SP and MP. The game was originally intended to have multiplayer features integrated into the core campaign experience. There's no indication these plans have changed.
What if i want to trainer and just cause mayhem in SP mode?!?
You just use the trainers? It's not like the anti-cheat currently monitors or cares about anything outside multiplayer matches. At least for now. Once Invasion Mode is added, they'll obviously have to take some measures.
Rumour about next gen console launch line up

Why is this looks like a fanboy wet dream lol.
Dragon Age 4 is years away. That right there discredits the entire list.

Last edited:
  • Toucan
Reactions: prudis

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Secondly, Invasion Mode, where other players attack you in singleplayer. Major gameplay feature. Delayed until post-release because this game was rushed. You can't split Doom Eternal into SP and MP. The game was originally intended to have multiplayer features integrated into the core campaign experience. There's no indication these plans have changed.
Oh, I haven't really followed the game much and I don't intend to buy it for a while, so I wasn't aware of that. ^^;

I understand why many are upset, between Valorant's far more intrusive anti-cheat and the Denuvo name not inspiring much trust, but, I wonder how reactions would have been if the Valorant situation didn't happen and if Doom used a different but similar anti-cheat like EAC or Battleye.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Deleted member 113

I was just playing Mighty Gunvolt on Steam.
I so want to grab the neck of the people who designed the Bio Lab boss. 😡
Really, it was so "intense" (I kept having to move and jump like crazy to avoid attacks), my wrist is in intense pain, and I had to stop playing it for a bit, to rest.

The last time I played it, it was on the Nintendo 3DS, and I found it a "harmless", easy Mega Man-like game.
But, when I played it, there were 5 stages. Now, it seems there's 4 more (that were released as an update). The first of these stages was of similar difficulty to the original game, and the Bio Lab map in itself is easy, and without much of a challenge. But then, you get to a boss (2 actually), and it's ridiculous. After not dying once in the game, I died like 30+ times on the boss encounter.

Talk about a difficulty spike.

On a side note, these pixel art games look sweet on my new monitor. 😍
I'm still using a 60 fps refresh rate (since I know a few games have problems with a 144fps refresh rate, I didn't change the refresh rate I was previously using; I'll try it later).

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
they can minimally fuck off as far as i'm concerned
I'm just waking up, so I didn't even fully get that they ADDED this in with minimal notice for the multiplayer part of Doom E and its runs whenever you launch it.

Why isn't multiplayer a separate application if they're pulling this shit?

This is mostly my fault, but couldn't beth add kb+m support for consoles?? Thnx for the update beth.....

Reactions: lashman

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I'm just waking up, so I didn't even fully get that they ADDED this in with minimal notice for the multiplayer part of Doom E and its runs whenever you launch it.
Denuvo anti cheat is no different than other anti cheats commonly used by several games, like Easy anti cheat and Battleye. They have similar behaviour, that is, a kernel level driver and a service that starts when the game opens and stops when the game closes.

Why isn't multiplayer a separate application if they're pulling this shit?
Because of this, it seems:

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
Oh, I haven't really followed the game much and I don't intend to buy it for a while, so I wasn't aware of that. ^^;

I understand why many are upset, between Valorant's far more intrusive anti-cheat and the Denuvo name not inspiring much trust, but, I wonder how reactions would have been if the Valorant situation didn't happen and if it used a different but similar anti-cheat like EAC or Battleye.
Something I really don't understand is how Doom, that game that invented FPS multiplayer ended up with a section of the fanbase so hostile towards multiplayer. I'm speaking generally here. This is what I've noticed over the past couple of years.

You go back to Doom 2016's beta a few years ago, and people were incredibly angry that Doom 2016 even had multiplayer.

It's really weird to me that the game series that invented this genre has so many fans that hate it. One could quibble that the executions of MP have been sub-par, I remember Doom 3 and the controversy over its 4-player MP. But the difference in perception between Doom and Quake MP is really weird. I can only imagine the hatred that a Quake 3-style "MP-only-with-bots" Doom game would attract.
Hold the fucking boat.

Denuvo said their KERNEL LEVEL anti cheat, umm, software, is 'minimally invasive and secure'?

No further comment.
There is no further comment because they are wholly correct. Their implementation is minimally invasive, and there are no known security issues.

If you've any interest in how and why anti-cheat systems work the way they do, these two articles are a good reason. They talk about Vanguard, but the principles are common among all major anti-cheat systems.

Something to remember is that long before Vanguard was doing this stuff, anti-cheat like FACEIT was doing the same. Valve Anti-Cheat is so ineffective that people pay subscription fees for third party anti-cheat like FACEIT, in order to play Counter Strike (relatively) unmolested by cheaters. Their FAQ similarly warns about fan controller drivers, overclocking utilities, and the like.

As vmcall puts it, "If you make your anti-cheat solely usermode, you have no way of guaranteeing the integrity of the kernel. Game-hackers could’ve already loaded a vulnerable driver, gained kernel-level access and embedded themselves into the kernel before the game application is even loaded! There would literally be no way for a usermode program to detect cheat software like this, and us game-hackers have been abusing this fact for years."

There's a reason all anti-virus, from Windows Defender to skeevy Russian-owned stuff like AVG and Avast needs this level of access. Anti-cheat, unlike anti-virus, can't trust the user. That's really where functionality differs. Most anti-virus defers to the user. But overall the concepts are really similar.

Denuvo anti-cheat appears to be non-invasive. It doesn't seem to care what you do when you're not in a multiplayer match. Other solutions take a more hardline approach where they'll refuse to boot the game at all if something isn't kosher. Things like trainers in SP should work. (Although that will probably have to change once Invasion Mode is introduced because MP and SP become rather hard to separate at that point.)

As for the security of the driver, that just means they've had it vetted. This is fairly standard. Security vulnerabilities in anti-cheat are essentially a non-issue. It's this weird boogie-man people bring up as though the highly scrutinized and repeatedly audited security driver is going to be the problem, and not the Gigabyte RGB lighting driver. Or, you know, the Nvidia drivers that people keep installing.

There's this very, very, very silly idea that anti-cheat with kernel is magic spyware with superpowers. As vmcall puts it: "You do not need a boot-loading kernel driver to dump Google Chrome passwords, grab banking details or log your keystrokes, so this could be said about any usermode application you install on your computer. There’s a good reason why almost all spyware is running solely in usermode: it simply is not necessary to be kernel for any of this surveillance."

Vmcall also say this, regarding the anti-cheat being hacked, and the level of access being "uncalled for" in some people's opinion.

"Right, it is also possible that someone hacks Microsoft, or literally any other company that runs code on your computer. This is very odd criticism and hard to refute as it is solely hypothetical. The last sentence does bother me, though. As I’ve demonstrated in this article, this raise is definitely not uncalled for. "
I think that Bethesda would do well to improve communication. For example, a lot of people are unaware that Invasion Mode is planned, and Bethesda haven't given a release timeline for it. It is wholly plausible that they are making preparations for it and testing their anti-cheat solution ahead of time in a more controlled environment. But explaining their plans would help.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Denuvo anti cheat is no different than other anti cheats commonly used by several games, like Easy anti cheat and Battleye. They have similar behaviour, that is, a kernel level driver and a service that starts when the game opens and stops when the game closes.

I'm reading about this and you're correct. Denuvo isn't the only anti-cheat to run this way.

However, I'm reacting a lot on my existing knowledge of the quality of Denuvo and the way that this was rolled out, media statements included.

I've played Doom E on my PS4, and I've got a couple hours in and I've never experienced an invasion, so I'll admit I forgot completely about this feature. Now explained, this makes sense.

Aelphaeis Mangarae , thank you for the detailed breakdown. I'll read those articles you've listed.

One off topic comment, you mentioned the country where AVG and Avast reside. One thing that stuck with me when I read Countdown the Zero day, before I really had any understanding of the how and why of 'computer security' (as a birds eye view of the whole thing) was how, ideally, ANY nation-state that engaged in 'cyberwarfare' is ideally an opponent of any reputable anti virus/or anti malware company. I would hope that a US based company would treat its country of origin with the same level of trust as any other country.

Last edited:

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Invasion is just AI, taking name of another player who died tho? it's not actual other player trying to kill you, just more powerful AI.,

Reactions: lashman

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
Something to remember is that long before Vanguard was doing this stuff, anti-cheat like FACEIT was doing the same. Valve Anti-Cheat is so ineffective that people pay subscription fees for third party anti-cheat like FACEIT, in order to play Counter Strike (relatively) unmolested by cheaters. Their FAQ similarly warns about fan controller drivers, overclocking utilities, and the like.
As someone with 3,000 hours in CSGO I think it's fair to point out that one reason FaceIT sees a lot less cheaters is because it's not as targeted as CSGO's official matchmaking. FaceIT had minimal amount of cheaters even back when they relied on VAC, solely because cheaters care more about matchmaking, boosting or selling accounts with a certain rank. This is not as prevalent on services like FaceIT and ESEA.

Reactions: Aelphaeis Mangarae

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
As someone with 3,000 hours in CSGO I think it's fair to point out that one reason FaceIT sees a lot less cheaters is because it's not as targeted as CSGO's official matchmaking. FaceIT had minimal amount of cheaters even back when they relied on VAC, solely because cheaters care more about matchmaking, boosting or selling accounts with a certain rank. This is not as prevalent on services like FaceIT and ESEA.
That is true. If there is money to be made, cheating becomes far, far more troublesome than bored people who want to ruin other's day. Although the Chinese market is a bit of a weird case. Chinese audiences cheat on an astounding level for what amount to rather interesting cultural reasons. It's so bad a lot of people would rather the entire country be blocked from playing with others. But regional matchmaking is a whole kettle of fish to itself.

Reactions: Trisolarian

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I'd already be happy if we get one "must have" game.
Yeah I'd take a bet that zero to one of those show up at launch.

Guess what game
I love that the community is coming together on this one.

There is no further comment because they are wholly correct. Their implementation is minimally invasive, and there are no known security issues.

[...]

There's this very, very, very silly idea that anti-cheat with kernel is magic spyware with superpowers. As vmcall puts it: "You do not need a boot-loading kernel driver to dump Google Chrome passwords, grab banking details or log your keystrokes, so this could be said about any usermode application you install on your computer. There’s a good reason why almost all spyware is running solely in usermode: it simply is not necessary to be kernel for any of this surveillance."

Vmcall also say this, regarding the anti-cheat being hacked, and the level of access being "uncalled for" in some people's opinion.

"Right, it is also possible that someone hacks Microsoft, or literally any other company that runs code on your computer. This is very odd criticism and hard to refute as it is solely hypothetical. The last sentence does bother me, though. As I’ve demonstrated in this article, this raise is definitely not uncalled for. "

I think that Bethesda would do well to improve communication. For example, a lot of people are unaware that Invasion Mode is planned, and Bethesda haven't given a release timeline for it. It is wholly plausible that they are making preparations for it and testing their anti-cheat solution ahead of time in a more controlled environment. But explaining their plans would help.
No, this is nearly [UWSL][UWSL]maximally invasive[/UWSL][/UWSL]. The only way you could be more invasive is to place it right along side Intel ME...

[UWSL][UWSL]What's very, very, very silly is someone trying to defend writing away the security on your PC to a somewhat sketchy company to reduce cheating in multiplayer.[/UWSL][/UWSL] [UWSL][UWSL]The fantasy scenario where some other security flaw[/UWSL][/UWSL] [UWSL][UWSL]that may not exist justifies punching a known security hole in a system is downright silly.[/UWSL][/UWSL]

[UWSL][UWSL]That's like - oh Elon Musk is fine because Trump is president. Fuck no.[/UWSL][/UWSL]

They should simply provide executables that run without the Denuvo anti-cheat. But I guess if they're interested in micro transactions which interact with the singleplayer there won't be much hope of this.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
re: buying indie game full price
That's an odd one. I know that I for one would buy an indie game full price even at $15 if I like the dev/pub.
Yeah it's weird 'cause I throw $15's & $20's around for indies like it's nothing. Guess it's the ideal impulse-purchase range for me. Plus I feel better about supporting small dev teams at full price ratios.

On the other hand, I buy one, maybe two full-priced $60 AAA games a year. Still haven't bitten on RDR2 in spite of the fact that I'm interested in it and have likely spent 5 or 10X that $60 price tag on indies since it landed on Steam. Weird.

The other thing that struck me on the GDC talk was how few sales came from Twitch/YouTube streams. YouTube is a HUGE indie discovery tool for me. I'm subscribed to dozens of indie streamers and they help keep me in the know for what's hot and what's not on the indie circuit.

It's one of those classic cases of too many goods, not enough time. Curated recommendations through YouTube personalities I respect & enjoy does wonders for pointing me to the most interesting experiences on offer at any given moment.

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
I think there are two overlapping issues.

1: I think that the PC gaming community is increasingly taking part in outrage fits that are ill-informed and reactionary. This showed up a lot when Denuvo anti-tamper came along originally, and you had so many people convinced it was destroying SSDs and destroying performance and spying on their private information and so on. I tend to believe that well meaning people are sometimes victims of calculated fear-mongering campaigns from people who financially benefit from piracy or cheating.

2: I think that eventually we're going to get a situation where concern/outrage is wholly justified but people have cried wolf one too many times and it doesn't get the attention it deserves. THIS piece of software is (seemingly) fairly benign and merely unfortunately interfering with things like Linux as an unintended side effect. Hopefully they implement something like EAC has, where you can boot the game without the anti-cheat and you're just locked out of all the online features. That's a win-win. (And frankly good software design.)

But what happens if we get another Starforce? A piece of software that is trying to prevent piracy or something similar in a way that is simply unacceptable from an objective cybersecurity viewpoint? Starforce was the real deal in terms of harming people's computers. With Starforce, it was a case of "It should not be doing that. Nobody should be doing that." And MS blocked it in Vista onwards. (Which then caused the masterpiece that is King Kong to brick PCs if you try to install it.)

I think education is important here. More people with an audience need to teach their audience about how something like EAC works. How Starforce worked and why it was terrible. So much of the information floating around is half-baked, incomplete, or skewed.

There are two interest groups. One is corporations who will take a mile if given an inch, and are reluctant to fix problems if it doesn't make them more money. They will naturally preach that everything is fiiiiiine. Even when it really, really isn't.

The other are malicious actors who want to undermine anti-cheat, anti-tamper (although there are perfectly legit reasons to dislike anti-tamper from a fan patch perspective). They will always play up doomsday scenarios about evil Chinese hackers deleting all your family photos through the nefarious Ring 0 kernel access granted by a Norwegian driver. It's easy to think, "Oh, people are so gullible," but if you don't know anything about computer security, it all sounds very scary, very plausible, and very irresponsible on the part of these companies. "Complete control over your computer" sounds super scary and a lot of people don't understand how or why an anti-cheat system would need to access their computer's kernel (they don't know what that is, either, but it sounds important) because nobody has seen fit to educate them. As a result their "education" is someone on social media writing "UNINSTALL XYZ IMMEDIATELY" in all-caps.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Yeah it's weird 'cause I throw $15's & $20's around for indies like it's nothing. Guess it's the ideal impulse-purchase range for me. Plus I feel better about supporting small dev teams at full price ratios.

On the other hand, I buy one, maybe two full-priced $60 AAA games a year. Still haven't bitten on RDR2 in spite of the fact that I'm interested in it and have likely spent 5 or 10X that $60 price tag on indies since it landed on Steam. Weird.
Same except my impulse-purchase range is $10-$15 instead of $15-$20.

And I don't buy $60 game. Unless it is a game which I have been waiting for, such as The Witness, Crash Bandicoot Remastered, etc., I would not pay more than $20-$30. Even if it is a game which I have been longing to play, I would not pay more than $40 (Disco Elysium last year). $60? Nope, I will wait a for a month.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaron D.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
But what happens if we get another Starforce? A piece of software that is trying to prevent piracy or something similar in a way that is simply unacceptable from an objective cybersecurity viewpoint? Starforce was the real deal in terms of harming people's computers. With Starforce, it was a case of "It should not be doing that. Nobody should be doing that." And MS blocked it in Vista onwards. (Which then caused the masterpiece that is King Kong to brick PCs if you try to install it.)
Again, this is like not protesting over Trump because the next guy might be the next Hitler. No, the opposite is true. Otherwise, these invasions of privacy and security will only increase. If we're ok with this one, how can we complain when the next one is even worse?

It should at least be a choice. Some games can have their invasive anti-cheat. Maybe they can start turning on webcams that watch you on console to make sure you're using a gamepad, etc. If you care about MP that much, go for it. But don't rope me in, I don't want ANY part of it.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
So, my brother is bugging me to spend $25 on Deep Rock Galactic for co op.

Any experiences you all can share? He says that its like Left 4 Dead.....

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I managed to cancel Doom's update before it could infect my computer.

My refund request was denied though... from Valve's point of view it's somewhat understandable since I already have 23h of play time.

But this is the last time I purchase a game from Bethesda. They can go fuuuuuuck themselves and I hope somebody sues them.

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]
What's very, very, very silly is someone trying to defend writing away the security on your PC to a somewhat sketchy company to reduce cheating in multiplayer.
[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
Firstly, what do you mean by "somewhat sketchy?"

Secondly, there is nothing untoward about mainstream anti-cheat from a security perspective. BattlEye has been around since 2004. It is widely used, and has a kernel driver. Can you think of any incident with BattlEye, a piece of software that has been in active use for 16 years, that would give any cause for alarm? What about EAC? Or any of their peers?

These are very robust, thoroughly tested pieces of software with typically with significant bug bounties. Thirdly, this is the industry-standard approach to fighting cheating. It hasn't been an issue. What has been an issue is people installing software from Gigabyte to control their fans. Software with gaping security holes. It was really weird seeing people bashing Vanguard for blocking drivers with well documented security vulnerabilities that vendors have refused to do anything about.

On one hand, drivers with known exploits from dozens of vendors. On the other, anti-cheat with zero known exploits. The anti-cheat is obviously the problem.

Also, anti-cheat being able to monitor the kernel to root out cheats operating in the kernel is doing nothing to the general security of your machine that the game itself couldn't already do. The game can ready every file on your PC. This is an example of non-rational paranoia. Its level of access is wholly justified by what it needs to do to prevent cheating. You cannot detect kernel-level cheats without accessing the kernel. It's as simple as that.
[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]The fantasy scenario where some other security flaw[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL] [UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]that may not exist justifies punching a known security hole in a system is downright silly.[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
There's absolutely no point in trying to use the secure anti-cheat that pays people huge sums for finding issues as a vector when it gains you nothing over other attack vectors. It's a complete fantasy scenario. You're welcome to cite an example of these kind of vetted anti-cheats being exploited.
They should simply provide executables that run without the Denuvo anti-cheat. But I guess if they're interested in micro transactions which interact with the singleplayer there won't be much hope of this.
The plan was always to add counter-operative-style gameplay to Doom Eternal's singleplayer in the form of Invasion Mode. Other players will drop-in and attack you while you're playing Doom: Eternal. Likely during sections when you're locked in an arena. If they are going to accomplish this, they need fairly robust anti-cheat otherwise people will boot up Doom Eternal on PC and then get completely obliterated by cheaters.

I imagine a lot of the people who are opposed to anti-cheat for whatever reason probably also don't want Invasion Mode in the game, and will be the first to turn it off. Which is their right. It goes with the general theme of not liking multiplayer in Doom games. But Doom Eternal was always intended to combine SP and MP. There's this recurring sentiment of Doom Eternal as being a "singleplayer game" which it was never strictly intended to be.
But this is the last time I purchase a game from Bethesda. They can go fuuuuuuck themselves and I hope somebody sues them.
There are absolutely no grounds to sue them on.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
All I've heard is that xbox isn't making VR a focus and has no conrete plans.

When sony decides to have A conference, then I wouldn't be surprised. I've heard plans in June for something.

For me, I'd be more likely to one day jump into VR on a console rather than a PC, due to cost. I've seen my friend's VR setup and while its an experience, money and space constraints keep it a non option for me.
The cost thing I'm curious about.
Bought the Spcial Edition.

I got myself the ultimate edition since it was only $60USD and because you can't upgrade later on.

I only played about 30% before I stopped playing it on PS4 last year.

Maybe I should have waited since I feel like I'm going to play through Red Dead Redemption 1 first before playing this again.

I'm surprised that they don't list any VR titles.

Reactions: Stevey

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Firstly, what do you mean by "somewhat sketchy?"

Secondly, there is nothing untoward about mainstream anti-cheat from a security perspective. BattlEye has been around since 2004. It is widely used, and has a kernel driver. Can you think of any incident with BattlEye, a piece of software that has been in active use for 16 years, that would give any cause for alarm? What about EAC? Or any of their peers?

These are very robust, thoroughly tested pieces of software with typically with significant bug bounties. Thirdly, this is the industry-standard approach to fighting cheating. It hasn't been an issue. What has been an issue is people installing software from Gigabyte to control their fans. Software with gaping security holes. It was really weird seeing people bashing Vanguard for blocking drivers with well documented security vulnerabilities that vendors have refused to do anything about.
Re: sketchy: Just random stories I've heard about dirty business practices at Denuvo. Every company gets accused of false stuff from time to time, but some of the things rubbed me the wrong way. I'll just stick with somewhat sketchy.

I agree that kernel level anti-cheat is a growing problem, and not unheard of. The problem here is them taking a game I owned WITHOUT this protection, and adding it and not letting me get my money back!

I follow security/hacker twitter and I have heard of scary things from both EAC and Battleeye... EAC JUST THIS WEEK. Might not be an active 0-day, but definitely vulnerable surface area. It was actually that news that I heard either the day I heard of this Denuvo anti-cheat or the day before. That made me even more anxious about this release.

And yeah, one of the bigger problems is this is completely brand new. It hasn't been in the world for more than days! Real world testing is always different from internal and external analysis. Installing this right now would be as risky as installing some kernel level game enhancement software from a random company in the first week of release. There will also be a lot of people immediately trying to find security holes with the large number of people on Doom Eternal right now. It's the most risky install at the moment. If nothing comes up in a few years it'll be as risky as installing something like EAC.

Like if you want this on your computer to combat cheaters today, again that's fine with me. Just give me an option to not and proceed with the single player game I bought.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

No anime game found, list is shit. It also doesnt make any sense to have all those ‘AAA’ games on Day 1 after one of the worst health crisis of all time. At least these fake listing guys should put more effort 😂

Reactions: PC-tan
Status
Not open for further replies.