Community MetaSteam | May 2020 - We May Or May Not Be Around In June!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
So yeah, there's a lot of "What if" regarding this situation, and believe me, I'm expecting the worse from this industry.
I wish it was a what-if.

"Denuvo’s Anti-Cheat technology, which is soon to be launched as a full end-to-end solution, will prevent hackers in multiplayer games from manipulating and distorting data and code to gain an advantage over other gamers or bypass in-game micro-transactions. This will prevent dilution of the value of the game for the user and the game studio.”"
I am not making this up. This is far outside the purview of an anti-cheat and you can see the scramble to find ways to word it in ways that seem acceptable.

This, along with Riot's always-on driver, is why I fear this sudden push to normalize using kernel drivers and their elevated privileges in unacceptable ways.

That isn't even mentioning the incompetence that is shoved under the rug by saying anti-cheat are often kernel drivers. When you ship a driver, it must be bulletproof. That is the burden and responsibility of writing this type of software and, quite clearly, neither companies gave much of a fuck there. That, too, deserves denunciation.

Last edited:

InquisitorAles

I know nothing
Oct 19, 2018
www.youtube.com
I am not making this up. This is far outside the purview of an anti-cheat and you can see the scramble to find ways to word it in ways that seem acceptable.

This, along with Riot's always-on driver, is why I fear this sudden push to normalize using kernel drivers and their elevated privileges in unacceptable ways.

That isn't even mentioning the incompetence that is shoved under the rug by saying anti-cheat are often kernel drivers. When you ship a driver, it must be bulletproof. That is the burden and responsibility of writing this type of software and, quite clearly, neither companies gave much of a fuck there. That, too, deserves denunciation.
If we are going to 100% believe what official press-release says, then they also specified several times in that press-release that this is specifically for multiplayer and online games:

Which is weird, considering I never heard about premium currency hacks in online games, but it's indeed an interesting topic to investigate. As I've said, I'm not going to abandon this topic and will continue looking for more info about this whole situation regarding anti-cheats. And believe me, if I'll find evidence that those kernel anti-cheats are used for something malicious or to force microtransactions in singleplayer games, I'll be the first in line to call them out for this.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention, that currently in my experience Denuvo anti-cheat is even less intrusive than Easy Anti-Cheat. I was able to used SRWE to manipulate window size just fine, while every game with EAC just not available for injection. Latest ReShade is working just fine in Doom Eternal too, though I'm definitely not going to ever touch again multiplayer and online in this game just in case lol

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Disgaea 1 by a long shot in my eyes. That's a fantastic one.
Yeah but D1 is in a weird place. Just wanting to replay it because OCD before playing the rest of the series for the first time.
I relatively loved D1, but then this fucking hellspawn c*s*** of a game found funny to give me the bad ending because of one misstep. I took it middly :so-good-blob:

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Yeah but D1 is in a weird place. Just wanting to replay it because OCD before playing the rest of the series for the first time.
I relatively loved D1, but then this fucking hellspawn c*s*** of a game found funny to give me the bad ending because of one misstep. I took it middly :so-good-blob:
But then you'll be missing out on the backstory of Prier in La Pucelle Tactics!

To me it's too much to try to experience all the stories like that.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
But then you'll be missing out on the backstory of Prier in La Pucelle Tactics!

To me it's too much to try to experience all the stories like that.
Meaning ? Sorry your last sentence lost me. Do you advocate to play whatever game in the series you feel like ? (nothing against that, I just do not fully understand your last sentence).

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I finished Chasm earlier today.

It was more enjoyable than I initially gave it credit. I still don't think it's a must play title in the genre, but if you're looking for a fun, well-paced metroidvania to spend a couple hours with, this is definitely not a bad choice. Also the soundtrack is great.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Meaning ? Sorry your last sentence lost me. Do you advocate to play whatever game in the series you feel like ? (nothing against that, I just do not fully understand your last sentence).
I never play through any games in a series simply to have a background for the earlier entires, it's too time consuming.

I was recommending Disgaea 1 as if you'd never played it before. But in I were you (I'm not) I would simply play the next game in the series that most interests me, even if it's D5...

Reactions: Li Kao

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
And believe me, if I'll find an evidence that those kernel anti-cheats are used for something malicious or to force microtransactions in singleplayer games, I'll be the first in line to call them out for this.
That's all your own personal stance on this so I don't have anything I could tell you. I am not looking forward to the redefinition and semantics wars around what an anti-cheat is. To me, even in MP, they have no business around MTs on top of being stupid as you pointed out.

If anything, I would just ask you to refrain from calling the outrage overblown out of respect for people like me. There is more than ample cause to fight back against this given the direction it is headed in. Worst case, we give them a scare and they shelve any possible plans they had.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Wether it's because you are a corporate mouthpiece or just concern posting that we might be adding to any associated misinformation about invasive software/drivers, this entire subject is tedious as fuck.

• Toucan
Reactions: prudis and Li Kao

ZKenir

MetaMember
May 10, 2019
I forgot I didn't save for a whole chapter in digimon CS and closed the game, now I'm back to the start of Chapter 6...

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Unrelated to anything I've finally started on a personal project I've been attempting for years. Originally I thought the only way I would accomplish it is writing some custom application, but instead I decided to learn a bunch of specific Excel functionality to make it work for now (might still do the app at some point). I'm going to try to make a list of my top XXX games of all time.

This already has had the benefit of giving me insight to my own opinions! Like I'm realizing that while I'm mostly right about my opinions of games, I'm noticing that there are a few modern/recent games that could slot into my top 100 games of all times.

Without ever trying to look at things comparatively and objectively I didn't think that would be the case.

There is a shocking lack of animu girls in the actual gameplay for as many as are on the title screen there...
Uhh I just realized in the context of the entire post people might be confused. I'm sorting my favorite few hundred games of all time, not my favorite adult games of all time.

ZKenir

MetaMember
May 10, 2019
not my favorite adult games of all time.
What a shame, here I was hoping to see Funbag Fantasy games ranked pretty high

-------------------------------------------------------------
in other news

While all results were down year-on-year, they were also all considerably better than expected.

According to the developer this is good to solid download sales on the PlayStation Network and strong performance of PC ports in North America and Europe including Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana and Tokyo Xanadu and Tokyo Xanadu EX+.

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

While all results were down year-on-year, they were also all considerably better than expected.

According to the developer this is good to solid download sales on the PlayStation Network and strong performance of PC ports in North America and Europe including Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana and Tokyo Xanadu and Tokyo Xanadu EX+.
THIS IS HYPE!

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
[UWSL][/UWSL]
With all due respect, you are describing storytelling through item description, a few sparse npc and environmental storytelling. I should be open and disclose that I dislike the souls games in many aspects, what I believe is overinflated praise of simple aspects is one of them. It's not against you, I just don't think it is intellectually honest to say this is something no other games do. From Hyper Light Drifter to Divinity 2, from Baldur's Gate to Outcast, deep world and stories are everywhere.

I'm not even sure what economy of spatial design translates to that is virtuous for instance. Many of From's games' decisions come from limited budgets for instance. What they achieve with it through conscious decisions is admirable but the design itself is not intrinsically incredible.

Point is, I get the feeling that what you want are worlds silently narrated rather than actively engaging you. Of course Hollow Knight is the easy pick, as is HLD. Caves of Qud come to mind as well. Brothers: A tale of two sons might be interesting to you as well and, in a weird way, The Witness as well.

Again, I am not attacking you and if you find joy in these games then you are lucky to have found something so much more of is going to be made. I just don't agree with putting down everyone else and acting as if they are doing it wrong, or rather, differently.
I think you were reading a bit too much into what I was saying and presuming things I didn’t, as I wasn’t putting down anything else. Seems like you kind of wanted to vent about Souls 😅

In any case, I’ve played and enjoyed most of what you named but it didn’t quite hit me in the same way. Though The Witness is indeed among my all-time favorites. Should have a look at Caves of Qud. It’s been on my shortlist for ages!

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I think you were reading a bit too much into what I was saying and presuming things I didn’t, as I wasn’t putting down anything else. Seems like you kind of wanted to vent about Souls 😅

In any case, I’ve played and enjoyed most of what you named but it didn’t quite hit me in the same way. Though The Witness is indeed among my all-time favorites. Should have a look at Caves of Qud. It’s been on my shortlist for ages!
In any case, I hope you'll have a fun time with CoQ. I could never quite get into it but it has the same kind of appeal Rainworld has, and I can't wait to see where it goes :).

Edit : And you did say things that many other souls fan say in much meaner and demeaning ways toward the rest of the industry. I'm glad you didn't mean it in that way but it sounded entirely too familiar :p.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
The way that The Twinning's dungeon music ties into the lore and the story behind the dungeon itself, and how said lore/story ties into a ton of raids and the Shadowbringers MSQ, is probably some of the coolest musical storytelling I've ever heard.

It certainly doesn't hurt that the song itself fucking SLAPS.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Wonderful 101 has more endings than LOTR

Never thought I'd say this about a Platinum game but it really needs to be about 3 hours shorter; the last chapter just takes the piss in length

Last edited:
  • Toucan
Reactions: Mor and lashman

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Every time I play SOR4 I need to go the internet and tell people how damn good it is.
Also working on my hard playthrough of RE3, I love this game so much. Resistance didn't click with me though.
Also, Cold Steel 3's second chapter is huge but I don't mind considering where it takes place.

Reactions: QFNS and BO7AMMOOD

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
This is cool 👀

I really want those vinyl records

paging lashman

• Love
Reactions: ISee and lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
The way that The Twinning's dungeon music ties into the lore and the story behind the dungeon itself, and how said lore/story ties into a ton of raids and the Shadowbringers MSQ, is probably some of the coolest musical storytelling I've ever heard.

It certainly doesn't hurt that the song itself fucking SLAPS.

Even DJ Shaq knows this and he injects it directly into his glorious cranium

I haven't played Shadowbringers yet :lampblob:

BoosterDuck

Goon Squad
Sep 20, 2018
Windows 10 May 2020 update appears to be releasing on May 28 [UWSL] [/UWSL]

so everyone prepare yourselves (人°´∀`)。°+

Reactions: ISee

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm at chapter 4 of VTMB. The atmosphere is still as good as I remember it. Although, physics seems kind of buggier this time around since I'm playing with higher framerate (well, only 90 fps as recommended by the Unofficial Patch). I'm still getting stuck on obstacles, sometimes. Stealth is also still broken, and combat still janky as hell. On one quest, I need to use noclip because I seem to have fused myself to a stairwell, lmao.

Also, fuck the (Chapter 3) Pimping for Romero quest. It's still annoying as hell.

Reactions: ISee

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
Why indeed :p. I mean... There is only one of you and we prefer it healthy and happy here rather charging at windmills :p.
I know I know my bad. I was just a little bored but I guess that what little entertainment I got out of it isn't worth the brain cells death you get as collateral damage 😆

Reactions: Swenhir

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I thought about picking up dream since GameStop had it for $20USD.

But there is the chance that there could be a PC port sort of kept me from buying it. Well that and Animal Crossing, that is all I have been playing these days even though I want to finish some other games.

Oh maybe it was just on my end but the GTA V thing on EGS was frustrating. I got RDR2 on Steam and in less than 5 min RGL was able to recognize it and all of that. It took over 30 min and multiple restarts in order to get it to work.

Luckily for ACS I guess that you just link your EGS account to Uplay and the game just shows up there. Do you still even need to download it from EGS and use that?

On Uplay I have pretty much all of the AC games the only one that I'm missing is Revelations, I think I also have Rouge but I might be missing that one as well.

Death Standing should have been out next month but now we wait an extra month.

Also in Japan it would seem that 505 finally opened up sales for the physical version but sadly they will not end up doing this for NA.

Digital only version it is I guess for me.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I backed the GPD Win Max on Indiegogo. At least now I can pretend that I'll chip away at my massive steam backlog. If anyone is wondering what it is, I'll leave the link below.

GPD WIN MAX
They really need to make one of these in a form factor similar to the Switch.
I also wonder if an AMD APU could provide better gaming performance than an Intel integrated videocard.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
They really need to make one of these in a form factor similar to the Switch.
I also wonder if an AMD APU could provide better gaming performance than an Intel integrated videocard.
I want the Dell thing ! Or the Razer thing, I don't remember :anguished-face:

Status
Not open for further replies.