Community MetaSteam | May 2020 - We May Or May Not Be Around In June!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
As much as I like Swords of Ditto, it's is little too buggy with the random generation, way too often that a dungeon bugs out, either being unsolvable or just plain locking me in a room.

Deleted member 113

I'm having a bit of a problem.

Like I previously mentioned, I recently bought a new monitor.

But, since the weekend, a problem has been frequently happening: whenever I turn on the computer, or if I switch off my monitor and then turn it on, I'm getting no image.
I have to remove the HDMI cable from my PC, and re-insert it, and the image comes back.

I'm fearing a problem with my graphics card.
Any suggestions?

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018

But, since the weekend, a problem has been frequently happening: whenever I turn on the computer, or if I switch off my monitor and then turn it on, I'm getting no image.
I have to remove the HDMI cable from my PC, and re-insert it, and the image comes back.

Any suggestions?
Check your monitor or PC for any sort of sleep mode. Mine does this at times as well, the monitor doesn't wake up when the PC goes into sleep mode. I just turned it off completely. Also make sure you completely disable any potential on board graphics, that can interfere as well.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com

Any suggestions?
With my new monitor, windows is little slow to get it working, like it goes on and then shuts off again and then I have to wait a moment and then it goes on again and then it works.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
As much as I like Swords of Ditto, it's is little too buggy with the random generation, way too often that a dungeon bugs out, either being unsolvable or just plain locking me in a room.
I think I've gotten pretty lucky then. I only have 6 hrs in, so I guess I just jinxed the hell out of my run.

Deleted member 113

Check your monitor or PC for any sort of sleep mode. Mine does this at times as well, the monitor doesn't wake up when the PC goes into sleep mode. I just turned it off completely. Also make sure you completely disable any potential on board graphics, that can interfere as well.
It's weird, I have sleep mode disabled on my PC, always did.

I was checking my monitor, and I don't see a similar option there that could be causing this (I see Eco mode, but it's disabled).

---

I bought a new monitor, and I do hope the original problem was my monitor, not another thing.

As a reminder:
-I stopped getting any sort of image with my original monitor;
-I brought the monitor from work, and I worked with it for a week without any problems;
-I now have a new monitor, and a couple of times the image "went away" briefly (black screen, and then came back a second or two later, while using the browser), and now when I turn on the monitor, or my PC, it has been happening that I only get image when I take the HDMI cable off my PC, and re-insert it.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I think I've gotten pretty lucky then. I only have 6 hrs in, so I guess I just jinxed the hell out of my run.
I have 30 hours in it, very close to beating it. At first I don't remember having any bugs, they started to come later, but guess that is inevitable with randomness and doing it enough times.

It's weird, I have sleep mode disabled on my PC, always did.

I was checking my monitor, and I don't see a similar option there that could be causing this (I see Eco mode, but it's disabled).

---

I bought a new monitor, and I do hope the original problem was my monitor, not another thing.

As a reminder:
-I stopped getting any sort of image with my original monitor;
-I brought the monitor from work, and I worked with it for a week without any problems;
-I now have a new monitor, and a couple of times the image "went away" briefly (black screen, and then came back a second or two later, while using the browser), and when I turn on the monitor, or my PC, it has been happening that I only get image when I take the HDMI cable off my PC, and re-insert it.
Yeah sounds like similar problems that I have, like the screen going black just for a second and coming back and I think its windows, because when I'm using MacOS I have zero issues.

ZKenir

MetaMember
May 10, 2019
like the screen going black just for a second and coming back and I think its windows
This happens to me on my second monitor, I wonder what it is, clearly it isn't losing the connecting to the PC because otherwise the icons on my primary monitor would get "reshuffled" with those on my second monitor.
Funny that the problem didn't seem to happen anymore before I formatted my PC, but I'll take that 1 second long black screen over the controller disconnecting multiple times during the day.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
What should I play if I want to try some Snowrunners ? Spintires of Mudrunners ? This is so confusing.

Edit - I chose Mudrunner and saw I don't have it, fuck that noise then. Other things to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018

Any suggestions?
This sounds like a DisplayPort problem.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
How many animes had theme about entering a virtual world? The reason why I am asking is because I watched one where a heavy or nerdy kid entered a virtual world. Sword Art doesn't seem to be it from the clips that I've seen.

And I didn't watch it willingly...A gun was held to my head by a friend who suggested it. I would never watch anime willingly.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
How many animes had theme about entering a virtual world? The reason why I am asking is because I watched one where a heavy or nerdy kid entered a virtual world. Sword Art doesn't seem to be it from the clips that I've seen.

And I didn't watch it willingly...A gun was held to my head by a friend who suggested it. I would never watch anime willingly.
Overlord?
Log Horizon?
Accel World?
.Hack//?

It's quite a trope so there's probably over a dozen

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Wow, so many people with weird display connectivity problems. May sound like a strange suggestion, but have you all tried to replace the cables?

Reactions: Deleted member 113

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Is there a way ot make GOG Galaxy remember where its window is supposed to be when it starts? Kind of annoying that I have to drag it to the middle whenever I start it because it always goes to the right border of my screen.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I now have a new monitor, and a couple of times the image "went away" briefly (black screen, and then came back a second or two later, while using the browser), and now when I turn on the monitor, or my PC, it has been happening that I only get image when I take the HDMI cable off my PC, and re-insert it.
like the screen going black just for a second and coming back and I think its windows,
I have my pc plugged into my TV and if i switch over to watch tv (leaving the pc on) and then switch back to the pc input the screen is always blank until i wiggle the mouse and then the desktop appears. I havent got a screensaver enabled in windows so dont really know why it needs the mouse wiggle to display the image.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

There's a bunch of them. You could be thinking of Accel World, which is also written by the Swort Art Online guy.
Aside from the ones Hektor mentioned there were just 2 new ones last season,
Infinite Dendrogram (the source material is good, but the anime is not worth watching) and Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense (which is actually great fun).

There may also be some overlap with the Isekai genre (people/groups transported or reincarnated into fantasy world), because a lot of of them default to video game like mechanics and stats instead of proper world building.

Reactions: crimsonheadGCN

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Geforce Now has been great so far. I am about to finish The Witcher 3: I guess I have 10-15 hours left. Then I will try to finish Yakuza 0. Thanks, Nvidia.
Geforce Now is great. I wish that publishers didn't leave left and right and that it has more animu games
Also the waiting time is ridiculous

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
They really need to make one of these in a form factor similar to the Switch.
I also wonder if an AMD APU could provide better gaming performance than an Intel integrated videocard.
We are in the strangest timeline, where AMD APUs in that wattage would actually have better CPU performance but worse GPU performance than the intel chip they're using.

What will get really exciting for the portable gaming PC market is if/when AMD builds a 7nm APU for 15W with a modern (e.g. RDNA2) GPU architecture. Sadly that's probably not happening for a while yet.

That's interesting. We completed the entire game (that means doing quite a few repetitions) and I think we never ran into an unsolvable dungeon. (Of course, they may well be unsolvable until you find some other item available in that version of the world)

Overlord?
Log Horizon?
Accel World?
.Hack//?

It's quite a trope so there's probably over a dozen
I'm ambivalent on the trope, sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's just ok, and sometimes it's ugh.

One of the funniest premises in the genre (well not exactly virtual world, but Isekai in general, and still quite game related) that I've seen is "The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious". Basically, it's about treating your Isekai-ing like how many people play RPGs -- grind until you are stupidly OP.
Sadly, the premise is the only thing it really has going for it, the rest is forgettable.

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
That's interesting. We completed the entire game (that means doing quite a few repetitions) and I think we never ran into an unsolvable dungeon. (Of course, they may well be unsolvable until you find some other item available in that version of the world)
Thankfully its only been minor dungeons and not the main ones, so it doesnt halt progress, just a minor annoyance.

ZKenir

MetaMember
May 10, 2019
like how many people play RPGs -- grind until you are stupidly OP.
That's me right now In Digimon CS, I used the early EXP trick in the game to get some stupidly OP digimons, and WarGreymon is murdering anything in his path, I did the same on PS4 back and then I was basically stuck there for about 90 hours to grind early like a madman, only difference is that this time I used CE to speedhack the game at 5x so it took me hours/a day instead of a week of grinding the same spot every day for hours.

Last edited:

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
I picked up WH40K Gladius out of this month's Humble Choice. Turns out, it's fun!

The game is laser focused on military conquest, so it's simple compared to most 4X games. It's so streamlined that it feels more like a turn-based Warcraft 3 than a Civ clone. However, that streamlining makes it easy to understand the trade-offs you're making with each decision. Buildings and different unit classes have separate production queues, build times are short, and production is based on specific buildings. It removes that compulsory "wait 30 turns for this new city to start really working" phase and instead lets you found a city, construct a relevant production building, and then slowly grow it while it serves a more immediate purpose. That immediacy makes it easy to understand the consequences of your decisions, and in turn, you can start playing strategically faster than in other 4X's I've tried. I dunno how much depth it'll have long-term, but even without the (pricy) DLC, I've already gotten a dozen good hours of it and can see myself putting in quite a bit more time.

There's a lot of other cool stuff in the game. The factions are great because of how asymmetrical they are. Neutral-faction units and minor outposts ensure you always have something to fight over. Units are tanky, easy-to-heal, or both, so fights tend to run long, with lots of careful positioning and retreating as you try to save your injured and focus down enemies before they escape. It's really engaging. My only real problems with the game are that units don't have voice acting, and that the DLC is pricy.

I'm not sure buying it at full price would be a good gamble, but as part of Humble Choice, it's a solid pickup. If you haven't redeemed your May keys, consider grabbing it.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I dunno how much depth it'll have long-term, but even without the (pricy) DLC, I've already gotten a dozen good hours of it and can see myself putting in quite a bit more time.
Remember playing at release and that's a pretty accurate small review.
For longlivity: I got bored after 30h, or so. Which sounds a lot, but it's not for a 4x imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avern

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I just noticed that Total Warhammer 2 has a native Linux Vulkan Version (was previously OpenGL). They must've put extra work into it, at one point in time.
Unluckily it seems to be about 20% slower than the windows dx11 version for me. But hey, baby steps.

Reactions: Ge0force and Pommes
Status
Not open for further replies.