Community MetaSteam | May 2020 - We May Or May Not Be Around In June!

Status
Not open for further replies.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018

I, Dracula: Genesis came out today. I've been anticipating this for quite a long time.

It's another great action roguelike, but with really great art and a distinct classic Amiga feel. The theme is very weird, but the gameplay really isn't very different from other excellent action 'roguelikes'. The game is a bit more generous with various currencies, items, and weapons, and health is more easy-come-easy-go letting this one be played a bit more like an action game than something like Enter the Gungeon.

Haven't played much but I like it. It's super solid, slick, and smooth playing.
I'm honestly surprised at the very positive reviews and sales for monster train. Every other roguelike/deckbuilder after Slay the spire that was published always flopped. Exception for Neoverse I guess.
Are there other noteworthy examples? I'd be interested to know what else is out there.

Last edited:

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
Have they mentioned if Artifact 2.0 will be f2p or if it will remain p2p?

I, Dracula: Genesis came out today. I've been anticipating this for quite a long time.

It's another great action roguelike, but with really great art and a distinct classic Amiga feel. The theme is very weird, but the gameplay really isn't very different from other excellent action 'roguelikes'. The game is a bit more generous with various currencies, items, and weapons, and health is more easy-come-easy-go letting this one be played a bit more like an action game than something like Enter the Gungeon.

Haven't played much but I like it. It's super solid, slick, and smooth playing.

Are there other noteworthy examples? I'd be interested to know what else is out there.
Personally I enjoyed Neoverse. Is very similar to slay the spire, but with some twists. For example you have combos if you play cards in the suggested order, you can stun an enemy if you parry (block the exact amount of damage) and a bonus I don't remember if you kill an enemy with the exact amount of damage. There are different builds for each of the 3 characters: for example for the first character you can have a build based on guns or toxic damage (poison basically) and a third one I don't remember, Another character has a tank build and a vampire build. I think it's the best StS clone out there.

I bought Monster Train and played an hour (streamed too for the first time!) and I have to say that's it seems to be a nice and enjoable card game, different mechanics from StS I would say.

Gordian Quest seems good too but I haven't played it :

The other StS clones are:

and others more I can't find atm

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
strange i didnt notice this cleaning event until today. do the games suggested for the badge change every day? i simply need to just start a game for every level for the badge?

Reactions: lashman

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Hey everyone, wild week at work so no post.

I bring something I need input on. (As usually, you all somehow cover all aspects of hardware/software/gaming well)

Moving office, I ended up getting, for free, the following

I7 3770K
16 GB of Ram
Nice PSU
Some industrial GPU that will not be used by me in any way
Some industrial HDD idk
Industrial Class Micro ATX motherboard.
Ugly as sin stainless steal case that is bent in one corner
Horrifically loud, CFM at all costs industrial case fans.

Now, I've got some choices.

I've already decided that my mom will be getting my old pc, with double the ram and the SSD I have installed. That'll happen no matter what.

1.) I give this free computer to my brother. He wants in on Xbox game pass for PC. He'll be getting my GTX 660ti if this happens.
1A) I spend $500-700 on a laptop with either an mx250 or radeon 540x laptop gpu. Microcenter is nearby!

2) I get an RX 570 4gb, newer SSD and join the modern PC world but also get a laptop anyway.

Hmmmmm..... Decisions.

Thoughts?

Deleted member 113

A few random titbits:

The last chapter of Song of Horror is out next week:

I really need to give this one a proper go.
My (very brief) impression from what little I played was positive.

---

The Banner of the Maid's DLC (The Oriental Pirate) was just updated with some new missions and content:

---

And, once again, do keep an eye on Skul: The Hero Slayer.
The game is coming along nicely, and since the very beginning it's a lot of fun to play.
A new update is out, that adds some more content. The game will be leaving early access later in the year.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
This Steam event recommended me Despair...

Barely 30 minutes of "gameplay". Another Unity kusoge.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I went full Mechanical, you guys. Tenkeyless kb, and an numberpad to go along with it. Blue switches just to be extra annoying.

I'm currently using Sharpkeys to change certain buttons into quick media keys (INS/Home/PGUP for pause/play/skip and End/PGDN for volume). Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to make my numberpad into a hotkey pad for GIMP and other creative programs I use. I'm currently using HID Macros, but I'm going to see if AutoHotKey can do any better. If anyone knows anything about that sorta thing, feel free to point me in the right direction.

Brb, getting into a groupbuy for an Anime deskpad that'll ship in Q2 2022.

btw, Microsoft is hiding good Windows features on their github. FancyZones is a decent way to snap things to set places on your desktop. It's not as good as what you can pull off on linux, but I find it useful.

edit: Wow lol. Microsoft has a key remapper, and soon it'll have per-app remapping. Ahh. That's going to be what I need.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I went full Mechanical, you guys. Tenkeyless kb, and an numberpad to go along with it. Blue switches just to be extra annoying.

I'm currently using Sharpkeys to change certain buttons into quick media keys (INS/Home/PGUP for pause/play/skip and End/PGDN for volume). Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to make my numberpad into a hotkey pad for GIMP and other creative programs I use. I'm currently using HID Macros, but I'm going to see if AutoHotKey can do any better. If anyone knows anything about that sorta thing, feel free to point me in the right direction.

btw, Microsoft is hiding good Windows features on their github. FancyZones is a decent way to snap things to set places on your desktop. It's not as good as what you can pull off on linux, but I find it useful.

edit: Wow lol. Microsoft has a key remapper, and soon it'll have per-app remapping. Ahh. That's going to be what I need.
Once you go mech, everything else is dreck.

When I got my tenkeyless in 2011, I actually re-trained myself to use touch typing for numbers and symbols. I say re trained because I did take a half semester of keyboard typing in highschool. Now I don't even register that I have a full keyed keyboard and still use the top number row.

Basically, everyone should at least make an attempt to train themselves in touch typing, especially if you've invested a chunk of change in a mechanical keyboard.

Reactions: lashman and ISee

liezryou

MetaMember
Oct 31, 2018

I use blue switches too, but when i hear someone else using them on discord they grind my gears xD. Weird how that works.

Reactions: Li Kao and ISee

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Watching the Giant Bomb Quicklook for Minecraft Dungeons and the game looks incredible basic. Not in a „it's a kids game“ kind of way but just basic. Kind of a bummer because the presentation is fantastic and the idea of Minecraft x dungeoncrawler seems ace

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
This night i dreamt that NieR Reincarnation was announced for PC and console too
that will happen over time, like SINoAlice and I totally expect them to port valkyrie profile lenneth to PC/some consoles over time, it's easy, cheaper and some people like me would buy it.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
If that was already repetitive for you just wait until you get to The Library
I've survived the library. It was repetitive indeed, but 343 did an excellent job with the remastered graphics, so it wasn't that bad.

But what did I see in the mission after the library? Right, once more the same copy-paste rooms from the map room level. 😂

Reactions: lazerfox

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Recently finished DMC HD Collection.

It was nice to revisit DMC1, about as silly as I remembered. I remember the first time I played it, I was a bit annoyed by the mission structure, but this time around I actually liked it, at least when the missions were longer than 5 minutes. If it's shorter than that, it feels a bit pointless, might as well combine it with another one.

Really love the castle at Mallet Island, great environment. Not sure the setting really makes any sense, like why would an ancient castle with so much history be located on a tiny island in the middle of the ocean? But it was a nice place to run around in.

DMC2 is somehow even more boring than I remembered it when playing on the PS2. They drained Dante of all character, he barely speaks two lines in this game, and the idea of removing proper Devil Arms from this game is such a bad one. You only Ebony & Ivory, plus Rebellion throughout the entire game. Also really didn't like the new moveset.

What bothers me the most is how much padding DMC2 has,despite also being the shortest game in the series. Add to that that it also has some of the most generic levels, and I'm truly baffled what went wrong in making this game? Reading up on Wikipedia, it mentions once that it had a rough development, before Itsuno arrived as the directory, and yeah, I believe it.

DMC3
Special Edition, feels like the true sequel to DMC1, that DMC2 never was. They brought back the real Dante, this time with even more attitude and I really love that they are properly giving Vergil a character in this one, even a nice character arc, about acquiring more and more power to revenge their dead mother.

The new location, Temen-Ni-Gru, an unholy version of the tower Babel, is really great and rivals anything in DMC1. They brought back Devil Arms in this one, and finally new and interesting moves. I really like the idea of different styles, even if I only ended up using Trickster and Royalguard with any regularity.

Looking forward to where the series will go with DMC4 and 5. I assume they'll follow much closer to the model now established by 3, but who knows.

Deleted member 113

This Steam event recommended me Despair...

Barely 30 minutes of "gameplay". Another Unity kusoge.
The suggestions I keep getting on these events, or even in the "play next" tab, are mostly a disaster.

And, I think part of the fault is with the free games. Either because I add a few free games occasionally to my account, or because some games (like the pinball titles I enjoy) are listed as free to play, and then the tables are DLC, so my recommendations are filled with cheap looking, mediocre games, just because they have a free to play tag as well.

In this event, the only recommendation that had something I remotely enjoy was the "recommended by your friends" section, since one of the recommendations was Grim Dawn, a game I play.
The rest, it was completely off the mark, and pointless. You might ask: and what about the section about "getting back to an old game you played", that at least had to show something you liked, and played, right? Wrong. The games suggested were titles I never actually "properly" played. All 3 were titles I just launched, and had less than 2-5 minutes "played" (since I only launched them either to configure the options, and never played, or at least in one of the cases, funnily enough I previously fired up the game because of a similar event where this game came up as something I had to play, to unlock a badge).

I have been playing a lot of 2D, pixel art action games, and metroidvania titles (especially INTI CREATES games).
If things were remotely working, I would expect my recommendations to have, say, some WayForward titles, since they share some similarities.
Or, since I play a lot of shmups, and I own like 95% of FMV games available on Steam, the recommendations will reflect that, right?
Wrong. I get a lot of Batman titles recommended to me (the only one I played, and never finished, was Batman: Arkham Asylum), I get Tomb Raider games recommended to me (I never finished a single one), and things like Pixel Puzzles Ultimate (I'm not sure why), and Hackyzack.
The "play next" tab says it's because people who play the games I play have been playing these games (clearly this isn't an effective metric, it just shows that people play all sorts of games), but again, it would be nice to get an actual decent recommendation, something that indeed I should play (like, a highly rated title from the same genre of games I'm playing, but that I'm yet to play, or something like that; heck, it might even be a game I already have installed, but I'm yet to play).

Clearly, these suggestion algorithms still have a long way to go.
And, the bigger your library, the more useless it apparently is.

Reactions: Spamlynguist

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Satisfactory may not release next week, but in first week of june, they don't know an exact release date, they aimed for 26th may (like I predicted), but it might be pushed back (2nd june).

Im a at the freaking edge before I smash that purchase button on Epic. I tried a pirated version for some minutes a while back which was a huge mistake cause I loved what I played.

godammit this is a huge crisis. I will get the Steam version no matter what, but when they keep pushing back the Steam release I don't know how long I can take it. I almost hit the purchase button yesterday.

I basically feel like Troy these days:

• Toucan
Reactions: FeedMeAStrayCat

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
It's interesting how these suggestions turn out for different people.
Mine have been pretty good, both the ones from the event and Play Next.

Especially Play Next is pretty on fire. There's honestly not a single recommendation that has me go "why the hell is this here!?", they all make sense knowing my own preferences. I'll probably end up playing most of them eventually, though they aren't necessarily priorities.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Original on the NES?
What??? 😱

The original Splatterhouse was actually an arcade game (later ported to consoles like the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16).

The NES game is a spin-off (that, as far as I recall, was never translated to English).

The 2010 game actually has unlockable ports of the three "official" games in the series (the NES spin-off isn't included).
Played the original in the arcades. Bought the PC Engine version.
[UWSL]I'm old :fearful-face:[/UWSL]

that will happen over time, like SINoAlice and I totally expect them to port valkyrie profile lenneth to PC/some consoles over time, it's easy, cheaper and some people like me would buy it.
Oh, I see it's time for my usual line !
I should play... Valkyrie Profile.
:cat reading newspaper:

Reactions: Deleted member 113

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Satisfactory may not release next week, but in first week of june, they don't know an exact release date, they aimed for 26th may (like I predicted), but it might be pushed back (2nd june).

Im a at the freaking edge before I smash that purchase button on Epic. I tried a pirated version for some minutes a while back which was a huge mistake cause I loved what I played.

godammit this is a huge crisis. I will get the Steam version no matter what, but when they keep pushing back the Steam release I don't know how long I can take it. I almost hit the purchase button yesterday.

I basically feel like Troy these days:

Stay strong and play Gothic 2 in the meantime

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
[UWSL]Im a at the freaking edge before I smash that purchase button on Epic.[/UWSL]
Don't cave in m8. If you dislike what Epic is doing, you shouldn't reward them for doing so by giving them your money. Satisfactory WILL come to Steam. There are plenty of other great games to play on pc in the meantime.

Geo's suggestion of the day: be sure to try Oxygen not Included if you like addicting gameplay with building and automation. That game is a master piece.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Don't cave in m8. If you dislike what Epic is doing, you shouldn't reward them for doing so by giving them your money. Satisfactory WILL come to Steam. There are plenty of other great games to play on pc in the meantime.

Geo's suggestion of the day: be sure to try Oxygen not Included if you like addicting gameplay with building and automation. That game is a master piece.
Well the Epic deal is done, it's been done for 2 months, this is just the devs taking their sweet ass time to finish the Steam version up. This is not something I blame on Epic

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Cats know stuff.
Cats know the secret windows keys that fuck up each of your activities.
Cats are also assholes that love to use this knowledge [UWSL]:so-good-blob:[/UWSL]

I also finally understood the reason for all those insanely annoying in-game confirmation boxes.

Example -
Lobotomy Corporation
Cat
Pause game
Cat push my finger on the mouse
Mouse was on exit game
Sorrow :so-good-blob: :so-good-blob:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Cats know stuff.
Cats are also assholes that love to use this knowledge [UWSL]:so-good-blob:[/UWSL]

I also finally understood the reason for all those insanely annoying in-game confirmation boxes.

Example -
Lobotomy Corporation
Cat
Pause game
Cat push my finger on the mouse
Mouse was on exit game
Sorrow :so-good-blob: :so-good-blob:
How to fool Cat:
Put a box on your desk next to keyboard/mouse.
Result:
Cat will be drawn to box and happily sit in it and watch.

Something like the lid from a box of paper with a folded up tea-towel or whatever for little tiny kitty to keep warm would be ideal.

• Love
Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
More on that.
Cat just sat on the mouse, and made something appear I NEVER saw on my desktop.
For a brief moment, in the upper left of the screen next to an icon, there was something like a tiny vertical grey bar, the lower par of it was blue.

For the sake of OCD, what was this shit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.