Community MetaSteam | May 2021 - Wallets Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
reading all the comments it's making it really itchy :p
This. The discussion always make these new games more tempting.

At least I have played Mass Effect already so the thirst is not too bad. On the other hand, GetsuFumaDen though... I am staying away from reading its discussions:face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Ahhh, all these new people seeing the light and saving the universe the right way with FemShep.
I think i played as ManShep for 10 minutes when i first started ME and was messing about with Character Creation before going back to Jennifer Hale's FemShep.

Reactions: Kurt Russell

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Uh-Oh, doesn't that mean that Fall Guys is super-double-fucked now?
honestly thats really just a game thats fun for a while and then you move on...

~

someone's working on a third person mod for RE Village (obviously), and it looks ...surprisingly ok, if using a character with a head (because Ethans in-game model doesnt have a head):

• Gib
Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
lol, looks like Faces of Gaming is down. Not sure if it's a maintanence thing or if they're getting hammered by people looking for Mass Effect faces.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
I finally finished Enderal (total conversion for Skyrim; sequel to Nehrim); I started it in... fall 2017.

It's not that big of a game --- although it's not small by any means: the playthrough took 89 hours, reloads not included --- it's just that 70 h were from the initial vacation period, then work intervened, and getting back into such an RPG at such a late point is not easy for me.

Anyway, it's great overall, and the ending(s) tie the obscure plot points nicely, though I obviously forgot of lot of them in the 3 years since I started the game. I might attempt a second playthrough at some point, to do Forgotten Stories, and with the hope that knowledge of the ending puts things in a different perspective from the start...

Since I started in 2017, I have the non-steam, non-special version. I kept it up to date, but the Forgotten Stories expansion is not saves-compatible, so I couldn't have access to the "DLC" quests or the technical improvements of SE. While I'm still in the mood for the game, I wonder if I might just jump straight into this second playthrough, if the changes from the version I played are significant enough and I don't need 50h to get to them.

Hence a couple of questions, for anyone who has played both the original and the SE / Forgotten Stories version: (from a search, I believe at least Stevey has to some extent)

Are the technical improvements in SE noticeable? (and what is their nature? FPS? Textures? >60Hz without physics bugs?)

How long are the DLC quests? Are they accessible reasonably early on in the game? (I believe the Sickle and Undercity quests might be ? I don't remember whether it takes long to get to Ark from the start; isn't it locked down or something? but even if you can get to them fast it's little use if they require high level characters) Are they any good / fun? (ie do they justify a second playthrough by themselves?)

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
for those who have played ME on pc before how are the controls with m/kb? its been a looooong time since ive played ME so it was with a controller so not sure if i should just use one instead of kb

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
ME 1 was grotty because it's old and from the era where kb/m to controller mapping for ports was shoddy. Don't know how it is in the new edition and i'm pretty sure i played ME 2 & 3 with a controller. I know i played Andromeda with a controller and i plan on playing the Legendary Editions with a controller too.

edit: Had to restart Steam but it's decrypting now...

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
Ahhh, all these new people seeing the light and saving the universe the right way with FemShep.
I think i played as ManShep for 10 minutes when i first started ME and was messing about with Character Creation before going back to Jennifer Hale's FemShep.
I played male Shepard back in the day when I played ME 1 and 2 so I think I'll go female Shepard this time.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I finally finished Enderal (total conversion for Skyrim; sequel to Nehrim); I started it in... fall 2017.

It's not that big of a game --- although it's not small by any means: the playthrough took 89 hours, reloads not included --- it's just that 70 h were from the initial vacation period, then work intervened, and getting back into such an RPG at such a late point is not easy for me.

Anyway, it's great overall, and the ending(s) tie the obscure plot points nicely, though I obviously forgot of lot of them in the 3 years since I started the game. I might attempt a second playthrough at some point, to do Forgotten Stories, and with the hope that knowledge of the ending puts things in a different perspective from the start...

Since I started in 2017, I have the non-steam, non-special version. I kept it up to date, but the Forgotten Stories expansion is not saves-compatible, so I couldn't have access to the "DLC" quests or the technical improvements of SE. While I'm still in the mood for the game, I wonder if I might just jump straight into this second playthrough, if the changes from the version I played are significant enough and I don't need 50h to get to them.

Hence a couple of questions, for anyone who has played both the original and the SE / Forgotten Stories version: (from a search, I believe at least Stevey has to some extent)

Are the technical improvements in SE noticeable? (and what is their nature? FPS? Textures? >60Hz without physics bugs?)

How long are the DLC quests? Are they accessible reasonably early on in the game? (I believe the Sickle and Undercity quests might be ? I don't remember whether it takes long to get to Ark from the start; isn't it locked down or something? but even if you can get to them fast it's little use if they require high level characters) Are they any good / fun? (ie do they justify a second playthrough by themselves?)
I found that the non special edition ran a lot worse for me, never felt smooth.
The SE runs at a 90FPS lock as put in by the devs, as they say physics go a bit weird above that.
The SE ran buttery smooth for me, although a bug which stopped all music playing halted my playthrough.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
In the meanwhile the SE finished downloading, and since you can load old saves (with a warning), I compared a few locations.

I found that the non special edition ran a lot worse for me, never felt smooth.
The SE runs at a 90FPS lock as put in by the devs, as they say physics go a bit weird above that.
The SE ran buttery smooth for me,
I confirm the buttery smoothness, immediately obvious.

Graphically, it's basically the same. I had the two versions running at the same time, and got mildly confused as to which I was looking at on a few occasions.

Strangely, FOV is handled differently. fov 80 in original version is rougly equivalent to fov 95 in SE. No idea why that would ever be a thing.
Better AA in SE.
There is a kind of "fog effect", even in places with no justifiable fog, like the starting location. It feels like the air is not quite transparent. The image feels a bit washed out for that reason. Not sure I like it too much.
There is a depth of field effect in SE, at the edge of your vision.

That's pretty much it.

When I loaded an endgame save at the temple during the Cleansing, the unique "inverse snow" effect in that location was absent. May be a compatibility bug between the versions, and not a sign that some stuff is missing in SE.

although a bug which stopped all music playing halted my playthrough.
That's unfortunate. Were you far in? Did you do any Forgotten Stories stuff?

Reactions: Stevey and lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
ME 1 was grotty because it's old and from the era where kb/m to controller mapping for ports was shoddy. Don't know how it is in the new edition and i'm pretty sure i played ME 2 & 3 with a controller. I know i played Andromeda with a controller and i plan on playing the Legendary Editions with a controller too.

edit: Had to restart Steam but it's decrypting now...
Mass Effect trilogy never had controller support on PC until a funky mod came out for it around 2016 iirc. And that mod was a mess as well with how the wheel worked for dialogue etc. I remember installing it was a nightmare too if you had texture mods.

So this Legendary Edition is technically the first time those games will have official controller support on PC. I'm excited to check it out tho I think I will still play 95% of it with M/KB.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Controller support is 99% of what I needed the re-release to do, so I am glad it is in.

I watched the comparison above though and why is the camera so close to Shephard? Can it be put back as it should be?

FunnyJay