Community MetaSteam | May 2021 - Wallets Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Nice 250% ROI, I wonder how much it costs to port Sony games then.

See there is still this weird narrative that these exclusives will make PC players buy new consoles, as if that actually does anything.
Sony wants people in their ecosystem fully, not just buying a PS5 and only exclusives. That doesnt give them what they want. They want PS+ sales and all 3rd party sales on the console etc... not me who will buy 10 exclusives max and then buy 500 other games on Steam.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Again: we don't know what Valve has planned but to claim that suitable APUs cannot exist is just craziness.
There's a huge difference between "some APU exists" and what many people are speculating / working themselves in a frenzy about though.

The rumoured Van Gogh APU has 4 Zen 2 (!) cores and 512 RDNA 2 cores, in a 8W - 15W TDP (and the resulting clocks), probably closer to the lower end of that for sustained mobile performance. That's not bad, but it's slower on the CPU side than even a mid-tier normal-sized recent laptop, and very-low-end-dedicated-laptop-GPU tier.

And that's taking the most optimistic "leaks" at face value. These are ultimately physical constraints we are talking about here, and people should keep that in mind when judging what speculation to put any trust in.

At best
, we are looking at more-or-less matching base-PS4-gen performance. And I think that's potentially really cool in a handheld which plays a huge existing library. But many people seem to be expecting magic (and not only that: magic for cheap).

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
We getting the entire fucking PS4 library before Bloodborne aren't we
Pretty sure Queen said that when she was doing tests it was still having issues, and this was not the first testing they had undertaken (mind you that was last year).

at least we know u4 is coming since it wasn't leaked before.
Yeah Uncharted was leaked as coming, was just unconfirmed which title.

What does ROI mean?
Return on Investment, basically the profit from what they put in.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
What does ROI mean?

Also as for the SteamPal. Compared to the other 3, as for as money spent on the device in guessing that money others would have spent on advertising will go to subsidizing the device? Since those other companies do spend crazy amounts of money on that (and this is likely also one of the reasons why for a long time people have said that Valve is lazy, and that's because they don't hear about what Valve is up to. You don't really even see Valve advertise Dota 2 or CSGO the way that Riot, EA/Respawn or Activision do with their games. )

So the most you likely will hear about the thing is from a small PR thing like Valve did with the Index where do do invite press to their office to check it out and that's about it. You will likely not see some big advertising all over the place like you see for the other 3, and one of the main reasons for that is availability. Outside of Japan the only place you likely will be able to buy a SteamPal is through Steam directly, it will not be sold in places like Amazon or GameStop. They likely learned about the downfalls of trying to sell their Steam link and Steam Controllers that way (and this is likely were some of that $100 million dollar loss comes from because they didn't just sell the controllers on Steam, you could also buy them at retail. The issue with that is that in order for a company to be willing to do that they also need to get a cut of selling the device and form what I remember before Valve was doing the deep price discounts GameStop was also selling the controls cheap and at a loss, which meant that Valve had to go even lower to get rid of their stock. If you control the supply then you can set the price but that was not really the case with the Steam Link and Steam Controllers. With the Index they control the supply and as we can tell the price has stayed the same on that, the only place where they don't control the supply is in Nippon and guess what? That's where they Index is the cheapest since Valve is not the one setting the prices (they only have the MSRP but sellers can still sell for cheaper than that) and that's why you can but the index for $200USD cheaper than the US (even though it has to be imported into Japan and is a niche product) since they physical stores that sell it can set the price.

Compared to 6 years ago Valve now has a lot of experience at manufacturing hardware, partnering with other hardware manufacturers, retail stores and look at other possible OS/software solutions.

It's because of that that I think it's weird that people just assume that it will fail again like the Steam Machines and the Steam controller (funny enough the Steam Link is always left out of those conversations when that was among of the first things that they manufactured along with the Steam Controller)

Maybe I'm wrong and it will fail miserably.

With Steam Machines they went with just having multiple vendors and were hoping to be like Android and how those phones work (Google handles Android and the Android Market place and the cell phone companies just make android phones), but that didn't work out and they learned from what and next came the HTC Vive which they worked with only one manufacturer instead of multiple to avoid confusing people and make the product way more straight forward but also doing it in a way where they would not have to rely soley on HTC and that's why they were able to go their own ways and still support one another, other wise it would be HTC that had the rights to SteamVR tech and stuff like the lighthouses. But as we know it's Valve that makes the lighthouses now and not HTC and that's why when ever you buy a "new" HTC Vive they don't typically come with lighthouses since HTC has to pay Valve to include those as part of it's product lineup. Originally Valve was working with Oculus but I guess after seeing what Oculus did, Valve decided to be more cautious when partnering with a third party and what's why the Index exist and it's very good that SteamVR was already established and that it was not really a "new product" other wise Valve may have dipped out of the VR market as soon as 2016/2017 which is when HL Alyx was first being worked on.

So yeah thats a lot of experience that they have gained from selling hardware and dealing with other companies, VR is still niche but it's still doing okay and it's still selling, so it's possible that SteamPal could lead to a niche genre growth. Will it sell 20+ million units? No but what if it manages to sell somewhere between 500k- 1 million units within it's first year (all while still being sold at the MSRP) that would be impressive (it will have issues with sourcing parts though).

Thank you all for coming to my TED Talk.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
The whole Uncharted series? Interesting.
It's good that Sony seems to have taken the right message from the HZD launch, which is having ports done either in-house or by proven porting studios.
...I wonder what projects PH3 has on their plate?
What does ROI mean?
Return on Investment

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
You don't have to care how it sells tbh, it won't stop playing your PC games if it doesn't sell well, it'll just mean that when you look to upgrade this side (or main) device you'll look at alternative solutions from other companies that already have such products or will have such products in the future if Valve hasn't seen it as successful enough to continue the line (if they even care and aren't as said earlier simply doing it to accelerate the inevitable appearance of such devices). So in the same way no Steam machine user had to feel their system failed, so long as they didn't fall for "Steam console" hype and bought it as they would any other device by checking the specs and how they're likely to serve them in the short and longer term like any prebuilt. I've not really commented on potential sales that much, just on what the device is likely to be like and if it really makes much of a difference compared to competitors (and if it'll killl the Switch or not). It could sell very well while still not being what some people think, it could sell very bad while being exactly what they think, but at a different price point, it could not set the world on fire but sell well enough for Valve like the GPD devices apparently sell enough for their company since they keep building more, we'll see.

Last edited:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
The upcoming Itch-io Bundle for Palestine has nearly 700 games and is growing...

Jeez, I'm going to have to send adderall to Toma's place if he plans to stream most of that bundle in one go. Will get, like racial justice bundle, for the cause, less so the games.

i know ... shocking :p

it is :)
Wait 1-3 are coming to pc as well? Was it among the initial leaks or something? I have the copies I ripped from ps3 sitting on my rom drive, but rpcs3 doesn't get a lot of use. This would at least free up some more space for my other ps3 disc games.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I wonder how well a SteamPal could do in Japan. Especially if it is a little cheaper like PC-tan says.

There is a lot of Japanese games on Steam that are not on the Switch. A bunch of FF games, Atlus, SEGA, Bamco etc.

It could be a very worthwhile device for that market. But I guess if Valve doesn't mass produce it won't matter. Maybe they gauge interest at first and then in 2nd year they go big.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
So what was the final word on Mechwarrior 5 anyways? I didn't hear much about it beyond the fact it was exclusive. Metacritic reviews are middling, but it's a mech game and they always get reviewed low.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'll be honest, I am smiling at a few things.

First that this is something that for once doesn't have to affect me, or the PC market in any adverse way. This doesn't take away, and it only adds to the ecosystem no matter what shape this takes. That it's the beauty of the PC and the openness it has by design.

And second, that people here are able to argue about it without being, for a lack of better words, assholes about it. I have spent entirely too much time on reddit lately and it is refreshing to see disagreements be actually supported by arguments, both parties listening to each other and not forging a lifelong grudge in the process.

Pretty nice going, Meta :).

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
If you want mech action and don't care for gameplay/design flaws get it, if you expect a worthy top tier successor to MechWarrior 2 Mercs and 4 Mercs, don't.
So what was the final word on Mechwarrior 5 anyways? I didn't hear much about it beyond the fact it was exclusive. Metacritic reviews are middling, but it's a mech game and they always get reviewed low.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Apparently it's improved ...somewhat, but is still about as meh as it was at launch

yes and yes
I've forgotten everything from those early days, it's been so long. Where's Queen. I'm sure she has a list jpeg, she can show me how far along we are.

• Toucan
  • Sad
Reactions: Avern and lashman

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I wonder how well a SteamPal could do in Japan. Especially if it is a little cheaper like PC-tan says.

There is a lot of Japanese games on Steam that are not on the Switch. A bunch of FF games, Atlus, SEGA, Bamco etc.

It could be a very worthwhile device for that market. But I guess if Valve doesn't mass produce it won't matter. Maybe they gauge interest at first and then in 2nd year they go big.
You have to remember that some games would be region locked in Japan still though, unless you purchased them outside of Japan.

Also about the price, Degecia would likely be the one distributing it in Japan but it would be the stores that can choose to do a promo or something, the "promo" for the Index in Japan for some places is that if you buy the complete set that you will get a discount of the $200.

By the way the index still sells out in Japan but I have seen some stores do that promo. I would share photos of that but that would take me a while to find.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and yuraya

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
I spent a bit of time with the two latest additions to the indie retro-FPS wave.

Graven is great. The game seems to have very little content at the moment, but what's there is fantastic. It looks gorgeous for something with such low-res texture work, movement and melee combat feel great, and it has a neat gameplay loop that feels somewhere between an imsim and a retro FPS. I'll probably shelve this to wait for the full release, but I don't regret getting it in early access. This is super promising, and I hope the devs manage to add a lot more to it. If the EA period goes well, this could be a classic.

Viscerafest left me cold by comparison. I love the premise of its story, where you play as a crazed alien bounty hunter going on a rampage to try to earn enough $$ to buy an engagement ring so she can propose to her tiny cyclops boyfriend. The movement and guns feel pretty good in it too. However, I really dislike how it handles difficulty. You're given relatively small amounts of ammo, but have a powerful melee attack to make up for it. However, the enemies mostly fire extremely fast moving projectiles that demand preemptive circle strafing, and that makes it excruciating to actually get in close enough for melee hits. This one seems like it could be very fun if I got over that difficulty curve, but so far it's felt pretty miserable.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Some more details yuraya

I checked to see the price of the Valve Index in Japan. It retails for 138,380 yen (that includes that taxes you have to pay) or 125,800 without. So with tax and all in Japan the Valve index would cost you about $1,270USD. At one point there was a promo for about 100000 yen which is about $920USD. So even though the Index is $1000USD I would have to pay taxes on it and that's why that $920USD "price tag" is $200USD off in my eyes.

retail the Index in Japan is more expensive than the US because of how it has to be sent to Japan and how it's not Valve selling the item directly.

Just in January of this year places like Tsukumo were selling the index set for $100USD off.

Yes i'm beating a dead horse but my point still stands that with Valve selling it directly that they can control the price it's sold at but once some one else starts selling it, then they can choose what price to sell it at.

Now the one thing that I myself don't know about retail is when the 3 partner with retail to sell the hardware for even cheaper for a limited time (hey buy a PS5 now with 1 game for the low low price of just $400USD!!!!!!!!!!!) I'm guessing that they make up "loss" with quantity? I did hear that during the holiday season that manufactures will sell lower quality goods (cut corners) and that's why you are being sold a different SKU

Reactions: yuraya

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Monhun event is starting in 15mins.

• Eyes
Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Lotsa devs spamming twitter about how cool UE5 nanite is and how trillions of polys still perform good in it and crap. What even is it? Lumen is I guess the new lighting solution with proper indirect lighting, light bounce, etc.? And nanite? Some kind of auto lod of uber detailed stuff like seamless tessellation everywhere?

I also seem to be reading it includes some DLSS type tech that gives 4k quality frames from 1080p res rendering? Temporal Super Resolution @ bottom. Wut?

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I purchased the Biomutant CE from Amazon. I still have not opened it but I heard that the game is okay? For over $100USD I think I'm going to return it. The CE is for the PC version of the game. I've had this CE on pre-order through Amazon since 2017.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
There's a huge difference between "some APU exists" and what many people are speculating / working themselves in a frenzy about though.

The rumoured Van Gogh APU has 4 Zen 2 (!) cores and 512 RDNA 2 cores, in a 8W - 15W TDP (and the resulting clocks), probably closer to the lower end of that for sustained mobile performance. That's not bad, but it's slower on the CPU side than even a mid-tier normal-sized recent laptop, and very-low-end-dedicated-laptop-GPU tier.

And that's taking the most optimistic "leaks" at face value. These are ultimately physical constraints we are talking about here, and people should keep that in mind when judging what speculation to put any trust in.

At best, we are looking at more-or-less matching base-PS4-gen performance. And I think that's potentially really cool in a handheld which plays a huge existing library. But many people seem to be expecting magic (and not only that: magic for cheap).
If they expect this thing to run current-gen AAA, that's on them. You are absolutely right, base PS4 performance with maybe a better CPU is exactly the kind of ballpark performance we can expect, which would be a leap over what is currently available. I wrote about my expectations for such a device on Era:

Ideally I would like enough horsepower to play last-gen AAA at 720p@60 and medium settings but I don't know if that's realistic.
I honestly don't think it's an outlandish expectation. The current crop of PC handhelds often requires using low settings, going below 720p or tweaking power profiles to get solid performance. 720@60 on last-gen games would already be a huge step forward.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Let me guess, XII is Switch Pro exclusive, GOTY edition with the DLC 6-12 months later for PS5 and PC (EGS), Steam 6-12 months after that.
That honestly sounds way better than the ass-backwards way they handled DQXI and the rerelease. Your enhanced edition should not be a downgrade from the original release...

• This!
Reactions: Tomasety

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Apparently, the new Dragon Quest is for adults.

Poor baby babies :blobclosecry:
We already have edgy Dragon Quest. It's called Shin Megami Tensei.

they haven't announced stores.
we don't even know if it's epic exclusive.
FWIW, there's a notice on my activity feed from the Dying Light game hub telling people to watch the Twitch stream later today. I suspect DL2 will come out on both Steam and EGS.

Reactions: PC-tan
Status
Not open for further replies.