Community MetaSteam | May 2022 - May Comes Kicking Like a Kangaroo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
YES!!! Should be releasing on Steam, too.

To people who haven't played the original FFF, I honestly like it more than some JRPGs that I played in recent years. It has pretty poor combat mechanics and tons of backtracking, but the story is meaty but never overstays its welcome, and the writing is great fun without being overly serious. Wrote a few words for the game last year so you can check out the post.

Very happy to see the three main characters are back. Fang is a great protag.

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Same. In my current job my team is all over the UK. Only three people on my team are based in my office, so I will go in and do the same thing in the office that I do at home: sign on to Teams and join a meeting with colleagues in the North of England.

Only I need to get up an hour earlier to walk in, eat a shitty sandwich lunch rather than leftovers from last night and be less productive partially by default, and partially out of sheer spite.
you practically described my situation too, just switch the location to Austria and the software to the garbage we use -- and voila, its me.
I really despise being back in the office. brings down my mood a lot :/

~

absolute best headphones ... practically indestructible (and the cord is replaceable)
I bought these today, thanks for the recommendation! my headphones were slowly disintegrating, and I didnt really like them anyways. I had three four different pairs: earbuds that are coming apart; bluetooth earbuds that are somehow paired with my partners phone and I cant figure out how to pair em with mine again; bluetooth headphones that are not very comfortable and also are coming apart; a headset that isnt very comfy to wear. soooo I needed a good pair. And I trust in lashman. :D

~

this was a bundle full of "this game is already in your library" and me saying out loud "HOW?" because I cant remember. ;P

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That game looks like a fun little game for my Steam Deck, went ahead and bought it.
you're welcome :D enjoy!

I bought these today, thanks for the recommendation! my headphones were slowly disintegrating, and I didnt really like them anyways. I had three four different pairs: earbuds that are coming apart; bluetooth earbuds that are somehow paired with my partners phone and I cant figure out how to pair em with mine again; bluetooth headphones that are not very comfortable and also are coming apart; a headset that isnt very comfy to wear. soooo I needed a good pair. And I trust in lashman. :D
you're welcome :) glad i could help :D

let me know what you think

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
We'll get soon (probably tomorrow) 0.9 version of luciusDXL/TheForceEngine reverse-engineered source port of Dark Forces.

It includes
  • Reverse-engineering of Dark Forces complete
  • iMuse system with proper music cues, transitions, and effects. Features like fades and similar effects work the same for both midi and digital audio. - This is where most of the time was spent. iMuse is big and convoluted.
  • Game music with fight/stalk transitions.
  • Game and Cutscene sound system that uses iMuse to play digital audio; which includes proper sound priorities and accurate sound falloff and panning.
  • Level ambient sounds.
  • Sound UI will volume control for Cutscene Music, Sound, and Game music and sound.
  • The ability to enable 16-channel digital audio support in iMuse (it was basically already there in the code, I just had to make some tweaks so it could be changed at runtime). 16-channels is the default but if you disable the option, it reverts back to 8-channels like DOS.
  • The ability to disable fight music if desired. * Improved support for System UI scaling for 1440p and 4k.
  • Various other fixes

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Is it me or this year is low on new game announcements (especially AAA ones)? We are half way through May and basically none of the big publisher announced anything. We got some announcements from 505 today but not much. I know that E3 time is for announcements but i have feeling that we got way more announcements in like April-May period before.

• This!

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Is it me or this year is low on new game announcements (especially AAA ones)? We are half way through May and basically none of the big publisher announced anything. We got some announcements from 505 today but not much. I know that E3 time is for announcements but i have feeling that we got way more announcements in like April-May period before.
Elden Ring got the industry shook.

They scared to death. Scared to show. No such thing as a halfway AAA game.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
ehhh another card game?

i'll play if it isnt mobile
Original hearthstone is one of the most fair and least expensive monetization models in mobile games. So maybe there's some hope. But yeah, I also hope they put it out on PC and without bullshit MTX.

• Eyes

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
Original hearthstone is one of the most fair and least expensive monetization models in mobile games. So maybe there's some hope. But yeah, I also hope they put it out on PC and without bullshit MTX.
I'll happily play on PC, hearthstone is fun like you say

here's hoping! Glad we're getting more Marvel stuff

Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Finished ME Andromeda. Overall I enjoyed it. It's a shame they didn't polish the game, never seen such glitchy NPCs. There are also some baffling design decisions. But it has a lot of good things going for it as well and I felt it was worth my time.
I'm glad I played as Sarah, she really grew on me. Scott seems pretty forgettable.

• Eyes
Reactions: Mivey and Tomasety

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
another day, another month without any updates on when the fuck steam deck is hitting norway, which is pretty lame considering the fact that i could really need a way of playing games that isn't on a big fucking box that takes up most of my fucking electricity bill

here's some general news from me;

- there now exists an AI that can take a string input, and make an accurate image based on the input, and we're not talking about the AI that produces garbled meshes, but rather, an AI that can actually make some accurate shit, the name is "dalle2" (search it up on twitter to see more images of it in action), there exists a lot, but one of my favorite pictures it has made, is "a drawing of joe rogan interviewing a carrot by a child":

- as some of you may know (or not), i've stopped caring about my degree to the point where i'm beginning to absolutely loathe some norms and rules of the field (which is programming), but don't get me wrong, i still get decent grades (a B average is not half bad at all for someone who has never met up (except when it was mandatory) for the entire semester), which is way more i can say for some of the morons there, but that's for another time

- photogrammetry has been a real sucker with how it wants to take pictures now, so the most that i've managed to do is a greek bust of myself which looks complete, but is actually missing my entire back head

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
another day, another month without any updates on when the fuck steam deck is hitting norway, which is pretty lame considering the fact that i could really need a way of playing games that isn't on a big fucking box that takes up most of my fucking electricity bill

here's some general news from me;

- there now exists an AI that can take a string input, and make an accurate image based on the input, and we're not talking about the AI that produces garbled meshes, but rather, an AI that can actually make some accurate shit, the name is "dalle2" (search it up on twitter to see more images of it in action), there exists a lot, but one of my favorite pictures it has made, is "a drawing of joe rogan interviewing a carrot by a child":

- as some of you may know (or not), i've stopped caring about my degree to the point where i'm beginning to absolutely loathe some norms and rules of the field (which is programming), but don't get me wrong, i still get decent grades (a B average is not half bad at all for someone who has never met up (except when it was mandatory) for the entire semester), which is way more i can say for some of the morons there, but that's for another time

- photogrammetry has been a real sucker with how it wants to take pictures now, so the most that i've managed to do is a greek bust of myself which looks complete, but is actually missing my entire back head
I've been paying more attention to AI stuff lately, running and messing with some of the text stuff on my local PC (GPT Neo, etc). I really wish DallE were open source. Yeah I know it wouldn't be optimal with less than 1TB of RAM, but I'd let my PC crank out DallE 2 images for days if it meant I could actually play with the thing. I hate how controlling, censored, closed, and corporate """"""Open AI"""""" is. Some of the GPT3 efforts don't even hold a candle to the true open GPT Neo (using far less parameters) - based on comparative, direct comparisons. I'll simply have to keep myself happy with the actual open source stuff.

Since I'm already replying to your post, I'm curious what all you don't like in your programming coursework? I also graduated a program then went right into a career. I'm not here to judge, but I'm really interested. I can now name the specific things I do and don't like about all the things I encounter. The real world is super super different from college. Hell, I took one of those hackerrank interview tests and the most complicated questions were trivial compared to the horrible horrible things they had for daily coursework questions. And whiteboard interviews are notoriously horrible!

What are you using for the photogrammetry? Is it truly camera based or LiDAR based or what? I really love that stuff too, but I'm waiting for it to eliminate the human factor and improve capabilities even more. I assume LiDAR is still far too course for the kind of detail I'm fantasizing about. (I've used a 2021 iPad Pro LiDAR in a few different apps, but the quality is still not what I like and my artistic skill with 3d models is abysmal so I won't be able to touch it up)

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
I've been paying more attention to AI stuff lately, running and messing with some of the text stuff on my local PC (GPT Neo, etc). I really wish DallE were open source. Yeah I know it wouldn't be optimal with less than 1TB of RAM, but I'd let my PC crank out DallE 2 images for days if it meant I could actually play with the thing. I hate how controlling, censored, closed, and corporate """"""Open AI"""""" is. Some of the GPT3 efforts don't even hold a candle to the true open GPT Neo (using far less parameters) - based on comparative, direct comparisons. I'll simply have to keep myself happy with the actual open source stuff.

Since I'm already replying to your post, I'm curious what all you don't like in your programming coursework? I also graduated a program then went right into a career. I'm not here to judge, but I'm really interested. I can now name the specific things I do and don't like about all the things I encounter. The real world is super super different from college. Hell, I took one of those hackerrank interview tests and the most complicated questions were trivial compared to the horrible horrible things they had for daily coursework questions. And whiteboard interviews are notoriously horrible!

What are you using for the photogrammetry? Is it truly camera based or LiDAR based or what? I really love that stuff too, but I'm waiting for it to eliminate the human factor and improve capabilities even more. I assume LiDAR is still far too course for the kind of detail I'm fantasizing about.
you could apply for a waitlist to dalle2, but i'm suspecting it would take tons of time, it'd probably be worth it in the end if it actually works on most string inputs, i'm personally more happy with the "easier to use" stuff than open source things

the course topics themselves are pretty alright, but it's mostly the degree itself; the university is at a terrible spot with a factory emitting shitty smelling gas 24/7, a highway, an industrial zone that is our exam building too, and also no parks/scenery unless you want to walk for 2 hours one way
the people at the degree are also another thing, they all feel the same; either "dickheads who think they're "hot shit" because they own a laptop with a secondary screen between the keyboard and the main screen, as well as some IDE that fixes their building errors automatically/gives suggestions", or "people who don't care about the degree, but unlike me, they can't even afford to not give a crap about it unless they want their grades to sink lower than the titanic (but they haven't realized this yet)"

for photogrammetry, the main two things i use is a phone which can take pictures (so i'm guessing camera based), and a strong-ish computer which can handle photogrammetry programs, realitycapture is a great software which costs peanuts to use (only costs money when you export the final product, and even then, it's a few cents for most models), so i'm using that, but other than that, i also use blender for the export stuff in general

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Man, RE8 really puts into perspective how much of an upgrade I got by going from a 980 to a 2060.
Went from being unplayable to running at 60fps with most settings on high and ray tracing.
Couldn't really tell with ME Andromeda because it's a stutter fest no matter what you do.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
you could apply for a waitlist to dalle2, but i'm suspecting it would take tons of time, it'd probably be worth it in the end if it actually works on most string inputs, i'm personally more happy with the "easier to use" stuff than open source things

the course topics themselves are pretty alright, but it's mostly the degree itself; the university is at a terrible spot with a factory emitting shitty smelling gas 24/7, a highway, an industrial zone that is our exam building too, and also no parks/scenery unless you want to walk for 2 hours one way
the people at the degree are also another thing, they all feel the same; either "dickheads who think they're "hot shit" because they own a laptop with a secondary screen between the keyboard and the main screen, as well as some IDE that fixes their building errors automatically/gives suggestions", or "people who don't care about the degree, but unlike me, they can't even afford to not give a crap about it unless they want their grades to sink lower than the titanic (but they haven't realized this yet)"

for photogrammetry, the main two things i use is a phone which can take pictures (so i'm guessing camera based), and a strong-ish computer which can handle photogrammetry programs, realitycapture is a great software which costs peanuts to use (only costs money when you export the final product, and even then, it's a few cents for most models), so i'm using that, but other than that, i also use blender for the export stuff in general
From the amount of actual AI people who can't even get access, I imagine it would be an extremely long wait, and I'd probably not be able to play around to the degree I could if I had it locally, unlimited unfettered access.

I see what you're talking about, that seems really unfortunate. Thankfully even the most arrogant of my peers in college were at least proud about some actual project they were doing.

It sounds like you're going the pro route with the photogrammetry. I just don't I would have the skill to do anything besides export and import. I tried to use Blender, taking courses, and I had to do some basic 3d modelling and animation in school, and in other medians. I don't have a knack for it. (I've tried different perspectives like 'drawing', 'sculpting', and raw vertex editing; and stuff in game engines... I'm amazingly bad at all of them visually. Things would go bad.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
As much as I like card games and superhero things, I'm so beyond over CCG style anything. Even very "non-abusive" ones like Legend of Runeterra are bad because JUST LET ME HAVE THE CARDS AND EXPERIMENT AND BUILD. I don't want to spend 6 months grinding out to have the option of variety and "messing around". LCG is a proven concept and is a far better style for multiplayer stuff (for the consumer). I stopped playing Hearthstone partially because I just couldn't actually try fun decks or really more than 1 deck per expansion unless I was willing to pay a ton (which I wasn't). Same for LoR.

I say this as someone who was obsessed with Magic: TG for years and years too. It's actually probably still my favorite card game, but I stopped playing ~15 years ago and I refuse to engage with that lootbox-style stuff anymore. It sucks because again, I love the game, and would love to still play it.

Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Elden Ring got the industry shook.

They scared to death. Scared to show. No such thing as a halfway AAA game.
From Software has them stuck off the realness, I guess.

Maybe the other publishers can diversify?

After all, there are numerous ways you can choose to earn funds. As long as they aren't cowardly hearts or straight up shook ones. :coffee-blob:

Status
Not open for further replies.