Community MetaSteam | May 2022 - May Comes Kicking Like a Kangaroo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
If you are on the verge to buy Fanatical latest bundle because you are not sure about wether you might like Neon Abyss, you can always check PossiblyPudding last sunday stream.

I hope he doesn't mind me sharing the link in case you want to see how amazing the game is.

And I'm also not super fan of rogue-likes because I suck a lot but the game looks very fun and has a lot of different items to make runs feel different.

PD. Guitar's OP

Last edited:

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
I hope he doesn't mind me sharing the link in case you want to see how amazing the game is.
Oh I don't mind at all! :blobhug:

I'm not sure if it was that stream or the one before but I mention how Neon Abyss reminds me a little of Enter the Gungeon, due to its style and unexpected humor at times, but it also has some of that Binding of Isaac feel to it where you can put together some really interesting item combos that somehow work and in some cases are very OP.

It also has a lot of cat items so I might be slightly biased. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Doubt it. Unions in the US have a terrible reputation, and few real protections and powers. Activision and soon Microsoft still have many tools to sabotage the union in the future.
It does mostly depend on what the next congress / admin do, as well as if anything makes it to the SCOTUS. It's true that companies have managed to layer decades of propaganda against unions in the US, but they've made working conditions and wages so bad that people skeptical of unions are even wondering if it could possibly be worse. The big corps are helping dig their own graves in some cases, when you can show they are breaking laws and spending millions of dollars to try to stop unions, that's a pretty big sign that unions are good for workers (since basically no US corp has ever broken laws or spent millions of dollars to suddenly make workers lives' better).

Unionization efforts are making a lot of progress for the first time in a long time, largely due to the huge anti-corporation attitude due to... well, corporations being themselves, combined with again decreasing work conditions / pay, and covid helping to remind people that companies are legitimately useless without them. Of course, it's a drop in the bucket against the existential threat capitalism poses towards the world due to climate change, but without actual action like that we all lose.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Not with that attitude.
It does mostly depend on what the next congress / admin do, as well as if anything makes it to the SCOTUS. It's true that companies have managed to layer decades of propaganda against unions in the US, but they've made working conditions and wages so bad that people skeptical of unions are even wondering if it could possibly be worse. The big corps are helping dig their own graves in some cases, when you can show they are breaking laws and spending millions of dollars to try to stop unions, that's a pretty big sign that unions are good for workers (since basically no US corp has ever broken laws or spent millions of dollars to suddenly make workers lives' better).

Unionization efforts are making a lot of progress for the first time in a long time, largely due to the huge anti-corporation attitude due to... well, corporations being themselves, combined with again decreasing work conditions / pay, and covid helping to remind people that companies are legitimately useless without them. Of course, it's a drop in the bucket against the existential threat capitalism poses towards the world due to climate change, but without actual action like that we all lose.
I hope I'm wrong, but it's hard to be optimistic about social progress in the US. For all the shit that's happening here in Austria, I am glad to be in Europe whenever I check US politics.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
you're gonna love this one - guaranteed! :D

enjoy!

:steam_pigblanket:
I played a run yesterday, it was fun!
Almost defeated the floor 5 boss. So close!
Then I got to the hub and saw the upgrade tree and the basement with ALL the possible items on the wall and :sweaty-blob:

In other news I finished Yuito's route in Scarlet Nexus over the weekend. Looking forward to Kasane's and then the Karen DLC episode(s).
So far I enjoyed it a lot.
The visuals are great, both in fidelity and style. Great character designs, weird interesting enemy designs and while the areas start fairly "normal" they get progressively more unique as you go on.
Story is crazy anime sci-fi with twists left and right. Good entertainment. I enjoyed hanging out with most of the characters as well. Particularly enjoyed how the hideout reflects all the gifts you give them and how the characaters interact with them.
Combat is hella fun. It has solid fundemantals and just gets funner the longer the game goes on as you unlock more and more stuff. Having access to 8 different abilities and activating 4 of them at the same time is just cool.

I do think the strict story phase / standby phase structure kills pacing somewhat though, especially towards the end when you have all the characters and get like a billion bond episodes every phase.
"Sidequests" are also pretty bad.
And I think the basic technology/power system of the world is underexplained and barely makes sense even after you finish the game.
Hopefully a sequel could iron out that stuff if there is one.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Can someone tell me if it really matters when everything move so fast in competitive games? Can human eyes see this difference when in full speed
Your reaction time improves when everything is so fast. This forces and makes you to react faster. This milliseconds can be the difference between win and lose on a competitive match.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Started playing Factorio recently and I'm still learning the ropes and basic features so I haven't built anything worth anything yet. Still, Steam says I've already played for 4h and I have no recollection of spending that much time ingame.
Funny thing is, even though I'm very new at the game, I've been spending a good chunk of my waking hours thinking of how to optimize my supply chains and build things better. I'm truly screwed aren't I?

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
Can someone tell me if it really matters when everything move so fast in competitive games? Can human eyes see this difference when in full speed
For competitive gaming every millisecond can make the difference so you want everything to go as fast as possible even past the point of subjectively noticing any difference. For the rest of the world i doubt many people will ever care about the difference between 240hz and 500hz enough to spend the money to get one over the other.

Another difference though is motion clarity and pixel response times of newer monitor technology in general, most panels are far from perfect and that 500hz monitor could look better just running the same 240hz. From my own experience running 120hz on my 2 year old pretty decent IPS compared to the same 120hz on the samsung g7/g9 panels or oled and the difference looking at moving pictures is big.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Another tuesday, another Valve VR patent update.

Title:

Counterrotation of display panels and/or virtual cameras in a HMD

Document Type and Number:

United States Patent 11343486

Abstract:

A head-mounted display (HMD) system may include a HMD with a housing and a pair of display panels, mounted within the housing, that are counterrotated in orientation. A compositor of the HMD system may also be configured to provide camera pose data with counterrotated camera orientations to an executing application (e.g., a video game application), and to resample the frames received from the application, with or without rotational adjustments in the clockwise and counterclockwise directions depending on whether the display panels of the HMD are upright-oriented or counterrotated in orientation. A combined approach may use the counterrotated camera orientations in combination with counterrotated display panels to provide a HMD with optimized display performance.

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
a 500 hz monitor feels like overkill honestly, like a 144 hz monitor is already fucking good enough

what kind of person buys a 500 hz monitor without, at least once, thinking "isn't my 360 hz monitor already enough?"

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
a 500 hz monitor feels like overkill honestly, like a 144 hz monitor is already fucking good enough

what kind of person buys a 500 hz monitor without, at least once, thinking "isn't my 360 hz monitor already enough?"
Technically at 500 hz, only one in 100 million people would even in the rarest chance be able to perceive a difference (per fighter jet pilot 'flash' tests).

So it's pure marketing at this point. What will matter is motion clarity and other display aspects. A perfect motion clarity 120Hz would be far superior to a slightly less perfect 240Hz for competitive gaming (you're talking 4ms max advantage but only if the human brain can perceive it and more importantly, since it is going to already be faster than the tick rate, you have a network advantage or luck (most game encouters will give either you or your opponent a 15ms advantage regardless of display)). (the only thing is it seems you do often get better motion clarity from higher refresh rate displays)

Last edited:
  • Eyes

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
You know when you're doing something, and you know it's completely pointless but you do it anyway? This is like that.

I am playing Rorona on the Deck right now, and I always have to laugh a bit that the entire game just stops for a second every time you open the main menu. I really wonder what the hell Gust or whomever they have given these ports to do, has done to achieve that effect. It's just a simple 2D menu, what could be loading every time that could just K.O. the entire system for near a second every single time.

• Comfy
  • Eyes
Reactions: Kvik and Tomasety

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Some YIIK made its way onto my twitter timeline, and the combat actually looks like it'll be super good? When the next update for it drops, that is.

Temtem is getting out of early access on September 6th:

Huh. I thought it had already hit 1.0.
It's a pretty decent game, WAY better than it was back when it first went into EA. Balancing was incredibly scuffed and lead to a lot of grinding and micromanagement to get past story encounters. It's mostly smoothed over now and makes for a decent challenge.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Huh. I thought it had already hit 1.0.
It's a pretty decent game, WAY better than it was back when it first went into EA. Balancing was incredibly scuffed and lead to a lot of grinding and micromanagement to get past story encounters. It's mostly smoothed over now and makes for a decent challenge.
Nah, it's still in early access. The story was finished on version 0.8 last December though, I guess you may be thinking about that?

• Eyes

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I am playing Rorona on the Deck right now, and I always have to laugh a bit that the entire game just stops for a second every time you open the main menu. I really wonder what the hell Gust or whomever they have given these ports to do, has done to achieve that effect. It's just a simple 2D menu, what could be loading every time that could just K.O. the entire system for near a second every single time.
Here's why:
Unfortunately, this is a developer mistake that will not be easy to fix. The reason is because in order to render text, the developer:
1) renders each character to a 512x512 32-bit texture, on the CPU, in system memory
2) composites it to a destination texture, in video memory. This necessitates a transfer from system memory to video memory
3) immediately displays the composited texture on screen.
Because the resource is used in the same frame it is uploaded, it is not possible to hide the latency of the resource upload, and so the GPU must grind to a halt. This is limited by PCIe bandwidth.

Here is a RenderDoc frame from opening the in-game status menu:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f1EgXvfSKc62VQqMa8CliTECoMCqoTdk

If you check the statistics tab, you will find that that frame contains about 2.4GB of data uploaded to the GPU.

The proper way to do this is to upload the font into video memory and have the GPU render text directly to video memory. Why they aren't doing this is beyond me.
Tagging Durante since he's sure to enjoy that.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
I still feel so weird promoting myself but I was asked if I would do the honors this time and well..

I'll be live in about five minutes and folks are welcome to stop by and hang out if you feel up to it. I'm probably going to be playing a little more Neon Abyss today with possibly something else a little later. This will be my first Tuesday stream so I'll be figuring this one out as I go, hopefully without too many things exploding.

Status
Not open for further replies.