Community MetaSteam | May 2024 - Wake up samurai, we gonna get this Persian kitty home

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
We are talking about Sony games again.

Obligatory GRAVITY RUSH YOU COWARDS.

I don’t want to pay £50 for your late ports and I sure as hell don’t want to pay £60-£70 for them on a plastic box, whose money I could use to upgrade my PC or by a shit ton of other cool games. So I am good. Thank you.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
It's very liberating to be in a position where Sony hasn't made a first party game you've actually wanted to play in the better part of a decade :p
I've played several of Sony's games for the purposes of reviewing them and I would say the best and most unique of them was Returnal. The others were various flavors of ubisoft-esque open worlds with a cinematic style and and a combination of action combat and light stealth. All of them offer many hours of solid fun but they are also kinda boring in a "play it safe, take no risks" way.

Not to copy the Gears of War "it's almost too good" meme but I do think that maybe Sony's games are a bit too polished, in the sense that every edge has been sanded off and with it some uniqueness and personality. I am currently wrapping up Ghost of Tsushima, it's a very fun time and a very good PC port but the thought that dominates my mind right now is " ok the ubisoft open world has gone as far as it can possibly go, now give me something new".

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I've played several of Sony's games for the purposes of reviewing them and I would say the best and most unique of them was Returnal.
It's interesting that you say that, because Returnal is also the one PC port of theirs that I completed (and enjoyed a lot). But it still wasn't on my radar before it came to PC, because the main reason I played it is due to its co-op support.

Kingdom hearts is going to sell more in one day on Steam than it has in 3 years on egs and this dude is like "Yeah we're totally going to FOMO this lot into buying a playstation".

And he's the CEO of the company not a shitposter wtf
I'm half-convinced that they read this argument being made up by their fans, saw it playing well, and picked it up.
It certainly sounds better than "we have to port our games because exclusivity on high-production-value AAA games is not sustainable even when you're the high-end console market leader".

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
We are talking about Sony games again.

Obligatory GRAVITY RUSH YOU COWARDS.

I don’t want to pay £50 for your late ports and I sure as hell don’t want to pay £60-£70 for them on a plastic box, whose money I could use to upgrade my PC or by a shit ton of other cool games. So I am good. Thank you.
Most people here seem to hate their games but since this forum exists barely a page in this thread goes by without it being mentioned lol.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It's interesting that you say that, because Returnal is also the one PC port of theirs that I completed (and enjoyed a lot). But it still wasn't on my radar before it came to PC, because the main reason I played it is due to its co-op support.

I'm half-convinced that they read this argument being made up by their fans, saw it playing well, and picked it up.
It certainly sounds better than "we have to port our games because exclusivity on high-production-value AAA games is not sustainable even when you're the high-end console market leader".
Wasn't that originally what the plan was? Wasn't the previous PS dude (I think his name was Shawn?) was saying. After having left PS at some point in time he said how AAA is just no longer "viable", which sounds like it just cost way to much money for too little of a return on investment type of thing. During the PS4 cost were already high and now during the PS5 era those cost are even higher, so you need extra money to come from somewhere and that somewhere is PC. I still feel like the first few titles would have been test to find out how much money could they potentially make from their games. And how much it would affect console sales. e.i. they put the games on PC and all of a sudden they see a 80% drop in sales, if that was the case they would stop the whole initiative. But if sales were hardly affected at all (there is a difference between meeting sales expectations and also see a massive drop in sales because people are just going to wait.) Some of that having to do with "we need more money", and well those PC users were never going to buy a PS5 anyway but let's still try to see if we can make money off of them. With PC they would reach other markets that they couldn't on PS and that's likely what was happening but maybe they fell on their face, when trying to make PSN mandatory so that they could fluff up their PSN numbers. But given how big of backlash Helldivers 2 got and how the game was still a top seller and they were still making a lot of money off of it, cutting off users would have been a bad thing since it's a live service and they also want that continuous revenue.

Also to begin with I was never going to buy a PS game day 1. If Sony has taught me anything is that their games drop in price. They are not Nintendo who will still keep selling a 5+ game for full price at retail stores and if your lucky you can get the game on sale for $20 less, but nothing cheaper than that. Meanwhile Sony games will eventually be on sale for under $20 within 2-3 years if not even sooner. That's what happened during the PS4 era.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
And I will keep mention it every time Sony PC games come up…

if and when it comes out I will just move on to a Tokyo Jungle.
Man, I put so many hours into that game.

Can we get Sony to hire ph3 to port Puppeteer?
Been playing it on the Deck because I loved it back on the PS3 but it runs very poorly. A port would be awesome but it's not happening.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
personally speaking any interest I had in Sony's 1st party games kinda died when a decade or so ago my mom bought a PS4 for my younger siblings and knowing nothing about game systems wanted me to set it up for them in advance so they could jump right into using it on Christmas morning and I noticed that they had the last of us remaster as a pack-in game and ended up taking the chance to play that because of all the hype I had seen for it

I played through that entire thing trying so hard to see what others saw in it but it just felt so mediocre and underwhelming to me that that's all I think about when I see people hype up their games to this day

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
It's very liberating to be in a position where Sony hasn't made a first party game you've actually wanted to play in the better part of a decade :p
I don't think I've ever been interested enough in Sony's first party games to want to get a Sony console, the only Sony console I ever bought was the PS2, and that was primarily for some 3rd party games.
I'll likely get the ones that come to PC, but they're not a must have for me.

Anyway here's something more interesting

Seems like she's also teasing that Fantasian is coming to multiple platforms.
An Apple Arcade title will be announced for multiple platforms soon. Please wait for more information soon.
And in response to someone saying "I hope this is Fantasian!":

Reactions: thekeats1999

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I'm sure they will get some new customers this way, there's a logic to giving potential customers a chance to sample your goods. It won't be on a large scale obviously but day-1 FOMO is a powerful force for some people.
This method doesn't work anymore when you have so few AAA exclusive blockbusters and MAYBE 1 game in the generation from a developer (GTA Series has skipped the PS4 generation for example)

They even got the whole strategy completely wrong!
You make single player games multiplatform, day 1 and try to lock GaaS games to your console!
A PC user who buys the console for one single-player game is a burden on the console economy for fucks sake, they only buy 1 game, buy the console for maybe production cost, and they don't purchase PS+.

While a multiplayer game gets you a constant revenue stream, PS+ subscriptions and GaaS 30% MTX purchases.

"But Kyougar! GaaS need to be everywhere to be successful!"
Then why don't SP games don't need to be everywhere to be successful?

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
This method doesn't work anymore when you have so few AAA exclusive blockbusters and MAYBE 1 game in the generation from a developer (GTA Series has skipped the PS4 generation for example)

They even got the whole strategy completely wrong!
You make single player games multiplatform, day 1 and try to lock GaaS games to your console!
A PC user who buys the console for one single-player game is a burden on the console economy for fucks sake, they only buy 1 game, buy the console for maybe production cost, and they don't purchase PS+.

While a multiplayer game gets you a constant revenue stream, PS+ subscriptions and GaaS 30% MTX purchases.

"But Kyougar! GaaS need to be everywhere to be successful!"
Then why don't SP games don't need to be everywhere to be successful?
Sure, making a killer GAAS game and locking it to your console so that everyone has to jump on your platform would be ideal for them in theory, but I don't think that's super feasible in reality.

Why? Because you're competing against a boatload of other GAAS and non-GAAS games that have less barriers of entry.
The most popular GAAS games are available for free on a multitude of devices, from PC to console to even phones.
If I'm not a console gamer, even if your exclusive game is F2P, I would need to shell out 500 bucks to give it a try and if its a multiplayer games, try to get my circle of friends to move with me. The community is gonna be smaller which will result into less word of mouth and less engagement which will in turn make it harder for people to even get it on their radar.

Like, I don't even know just how goddamn amazing a game would have to be for me to even consider making such a big upfront investment, when I can just play say Genshin on my PC, or Star Rail on my freaking phone, or Fortnite, Leage and so on.

Customers have so much choice for entertainment these days, that trying to force them to come to you is increasingly harder and harder, as even Square Enix had to painfully learn recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyougar

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
I'm lucky enough to feel this way about Nintendo as well.

I mean there are games I'd give a try of course but nothing I couldn't wait for and certainly not a waste money on hardware I'd barely use try. Much as I liked Bloodborne I still feel like getting a PS4 was a waste of money in the end and that's put me off any more consoles in future.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Sure, making a killer GAAS game and locking it to your console so that everyone has to jump on your platform would be ideal for them in theory, but I don't think that's super feasible in reality.

Why? Because you're competing against a boatload of other GAAS and non-GAAS games that have less barriers of entry.
The most popular GAAS games are available for free on a multitude of devices, from PC to console to even phones.
If I'm not a console gamer, even if your exclusive game is F2P, I would need to shell out 500 bucks to give it a try and if its a multiplayer games, try to get my circle of friends to move with me. The community is gonna be smaller which will result into less word of mouth and less engagement which will in turn make it harder for people to even get it on their radar.

Like, I don't even know just how goddamn amazing a game would have to be for me to even consider making such a big upfront investment, when I can just play say Genshin on my PC, or Star Rail on my freaking phone, or Fortnite, Leage and so on.

Customers have so much choice for entertainment these days, that trying to force them to come to you is increasingly harder and harder, as even Square Enix had to painfully learn recently.
And this argument doesn't work for Single-player games... why exactly?
I am with you, that it doesn't make sense, I am just questioning why it doesn't make sense only for GaaS games in this narrative.

Sure, the 3rd party won't ever make a GaaS exclusive to just one platform.
But for Sony, if you are so confident in the superiority and ecosystem of your platform, why release your GaaS Multiplatform? If you are so confident that PC gamers will rush to your Single-Player games and buy the console, why are you not confident doing that for your GaaS games?
Other publishers have successful SP games and GaaS games in their portfolio.

No, the truth is, that they know that their platform and ecosystem is not good enough to entice players to jump ship because a new GaaS released. They are clinging to the one thing they have conditioned their userbase to expect: Single-Player narrative-driven action games. And those games get even more expensive and the audience will further shrink.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
And this argument doesn't work for Single-player games... why exactly?
I am with you, that it doesn't make sense, I am just questioning why it doesn't make sense only for GaaS games in this narrative.

Sure, the 3rd party won't ever make a GaaS exclusive to just one platform.
But for Sony, if you are so confident in the superiority and ecosystem of your platform, why release your GaaS Multiplatform? If you are so confident that PC gamers will rush to your Single-Player games and buy the console, why are you not confident doing that for your GaaS games?
Other publishers have successful SP games and GaaS games in their portfolio.

No, the truth is, that they know that their platform and ecosystem is not good enough to entice players to jump ship because a new GaaS released. They are clinging to the one thing they have conditioned their userbase to expect: Single-Player narrative-driven action games. And those games get even more expensive and the audience will further shrink.
I'm not disagreeing. I also think their statement isn't the truth.
Imo they are trying to navigate making more money via multiplatform releases vs. diminishing the "value" of their platform.
Personally I think it's less that they want to "convert" PC players into exclusive buying console players, and probably more so them wanting to keep people already bought into PlayStation from moving away.
Will that work? Dunno.

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
I don't think Sony will stick with this strategy for too long in my opinion. I'm reminded of this old blog post Q&A with Herman Hulst where they talk about Horizon Zero Dawn coming to PC.

This part stands out to me
"PlayStation is no stranger to publishing titles on the PC, but Horizon: Zero Dawn is one of the largest games to make that leap. Is there anything you would say to PlayStation fans? What does it mean for the future?
Sure. I think it’s important that we stay open to new ideas of how to introduce more people to PlayStation, and show people maybe what they’ve been missing out on.
And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn’t necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don’t have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware."

While they aren't doing day and date right now they have already ported a good amount of their games. Most PC gamers are used to waiting and will continue to do so. What Sony wants is for PC gamers to make PS5 their primary way of playing games but in reality that's just not going to happen.

nofuckinidea

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
The "give them a taste and lure them into our ecosystem" strategy sounds good to PlayStation players and investors' ears but completely ignores reality.

I don't even blame Sony for going down this route for the time being. I think it even deserves respect to present your investors with a strategy that willfully leaves money on the table.

Can't wait for the shift in strategy and them releasing single player games Day 1 on PC. Exclusively on their own launcher. More revenue somehow seems to be a burden for Sony.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Entire point of selling sequels and PlayStation hardware to PC players become pointless if only thing that those players would do is buying 1-2 exclusives per year and not spending money on PS+, MTX or 3rd party games. At that point Sony gained like 50$ from sold PS5, and full price of the game (well not full deduce card fees and server costs). So if that is case for majority of those PC players who bought PS5 why does it matter where you sell those games to them? In those cases Sony literally is just getting money from sold game and nothing more. Chances that they will convince PC players to pay for online play,, cloud saves, higher priced games... becomes minimal.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Hi Fi Rush is a masterclass in pacing. The writing is genuinely good and really funny. Literally my only gripe is that you can't skip cutscenes which can be annoying when repeating a boss fight but they are short so it's no big deal. I'd be there day 1 for a sequel, no questions asked. Gonna miss these characters.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
I wonder if we're going to get an FF XVI or an FF7 Rebirth PC port announcement at SGF. I'm in the mood for any of those games lol

nofuckinidea

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Entire point of selling sequels and PlayStation hardware to PC players become pointless if only thing that those players would do is buying 1-2 exclusives per year and not spending money on PS+, MTX or 3rd party games. At that point Sony gained like 50$ from sold PS5, and full price of the game (well not full deduce card fees and server costs). So if that is case for majority of those PC players who bought PS5 why does it matter where you sell those games to them? In those cases Sony literally is just getting money from sold game and nothing more. Chances that they will convince PC players to pay for online play,, cloud saves, higher priced games... becomes minimal.
Well, of course it makes a difference for Sony, regardless of whether the customer invests money beyond the games. They get more from every game sold. And with the console, a multi person household would have another option for gaming in the future and Sony a gateway to your living room to...I don't know...sell you Anime haha. At least, the likelihood that you will use the console more than for two games a year after buying it is not entirely unlikely. Well, maybe for users here, but we don't represent the masses out there. Not even the masses of PC players.

In theory, this is all makes sense. Kinda. However, it would probably make far more economic sense to release all games Day 1 on PC in order to use the hype surrounding their singleplayer games to reach as many buyers as possible on PC. I hope Sony will realize this sooner rather than later, but yeah:shrugblob:

Sadrac

Dec 6, 2018
Hi Fi Rush is a masterclass in pacing. The writing is genuinely good and really funny. Literally my only gripe is that you can't skip cutscenes which can be annoying when repeating a boss fight but they are short so it's no big deal. I'd be there day 1 for a sequel, no questions asked. Gonna miss these characters.
I have some bad news for you

Dec 5, 2018
I wonder if we're going to get an FF XVI or an FF7 Rebirth PC port announcement at SGF. I'm in the mood for any of those games lol
Even If they announce any of it, i wouldn't expect a release until some time after dawntrail has been out

At least, the likelihood that you will use the console more than for two games a year after buying it is not entirely unlikely. Well, maybe for users here, but we don't represent the masses out there. Not even the masses of PC players.
The point is that if you make most of your gaming in one platform (PC in this case) are you really going to buy a 500€/$ console only for a couple of games specially in a time that they can't lower the cost of the hardware. And do most people really buy multiple consoles at full price ? (cause the era of 100€/$ consoles is basically gone). But it doesn't really matter it's corporate speak, and in a few years they can say something different.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I think you guys should let the people getting paid an obscene amount of money worry about the release strategy of a corporation.
Go have fun, play some games! Just today there were a lot of great new releases waiting for you to play them.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Well, of course it makes a difference for Sony, regardless of whether the customer invests money beyond the games. They get more from every game sold. And with the console, a multi person household would have another option for gaming in the future and Sony a gateway to your living room to...I don't know...sell you Anime haha. At least, the likelihood that you will use the console more than for two games a year after buying it is not entirely unlikely. Well, maybe for users here, but we don't represent the masses out there. Not even the masses of PC players.

In theory, this is all makes sense. Kinda. However, it would probably make far more economic sense to release all games Day 1 on PC in order to use the hype surrounding their singleplayer games to reach as many buyers as possible on PC. I hope Sony will realize this sooner rather than later, but yeah:shrugblob:
It would have happened earlier than now. But the console userbase is stagnating/declining for 2 decades.
And it won't get better because of very few releases on consoles that are not Multiplatform. And the narrow genre output of Sony.

If you have over a hundred exclusives in a wide range of genres, you can blindly buy a console for just 1 game and know that there will be probably a dozen other games that will come out that you will like.
But it's more like 15-20 games a generation all in the same genre.

Dec 5, 2018
I think you guys should let the people getting paid an obscene amount of money worry about the release strategy of a corporation.
Go have fun, play some games! Just today there were a lot of great new releases waiting for you to play them.
But people don't play games, just hoard them :upside-down-face:.

• Sad
Reactions: PC-tan

nofuckinidea

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
The point is that if you make most of your gaming in one platform (PC in this case) are you really going to buy a 500€/$ console only for a couple of games specially in a time that they can't lower the cost of the hardware. And do most people really buy multiple consoles at full price ? (cause the era of 100€/$ consoles is basically gone). But it doesn't really matter it's corporate speak, and in a few years they can say something different.
Of course not. Not me. Not you. No one here. We all diligently play the waiting game and probably only strike at a -50% offer . But if only 5% (and that would be a huge amount) decide to buy a console, it makes a (huge) difference to Sony.

Btw If I'm not completely wrong, the majority of Steam users probably have a PC which is inferior to the PS5. So there would be an incentive, apart from time exclusive games. Not to mention GTA 6 next year.

Anyway. Sooner or later, Sony will go the Microsoft way. At least on PC.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
lmao the state of play directly started with the notice "Playstationgames on PC require a PSN account"

They really wasted ten minutes on another Hero Shooter that will be offline a year after launch

God of War Ragnarok for PC

New Dynasty Warriors Game - Dynasty Warriors Origins coming 2025.
Will probably also come to PC, but not announced

Chinese Bloodborne at home!!!

Last edited:

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
lmao the state of play directly started with the notice "Playstationgames on PC require a PSN account"

They really wasted ten minutes on another Hero Shooter that will be offline a year after launch

God of War Ragnarok for PC
That's less than 2 years boyos. Day and date it's happening that Hulst dude just doesn't know it yet lmao

Skydance Behemoths is just some random AI generated title lmao

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
12 fucking minutes out of 30 wasted on Concord, a premium non f2p 5vs5 hero shooter in today's age

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANOTHER HERO SHOOTER

That's less than 2 years boyos. Day and date it's happening that Hulst dude just doesn't know it yet lmao
Sony is porting their games to PC so people will buy their sequels.
Then why are the sequels coming to PC aswell.
Curios.

:ClassicTimmy:

Another chinese souls game

Until Dawn coming to PC

This trailer looked WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than the last one

That was a fairly decent PC gaming show :h02smug:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.