Community MetaSteam | May 2024 - Wake up samurai, we gonna get this Persian kitty home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Just watched the AG French Direct, there were some cool games that will inevitably get trailers posted here soon enough, but I really, really liked

It's such a throw back to old JRPGs, with gorgeous pre-rendered backgrounds, but visible encounters and an interesting take on action combat, where you have an attack phase moving around freely, attacking and using skills with a limited pool of points against enemies defending, and then the reverse phase where it's your turn to dodge and parry telegraphed attacks.

And talking about visuals like last time, I think some games could really benefit from going for a style like this, instead of simplistic 3D. It's just so nice looking...

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
That's nice

Just watched the AG French Direct, there were some cool games that will inevitably get trailers posted here soon enough, but I really, really liked

It's such a throw back to old JRPGs, with gorgeous pre-rendered backgrounds, but visible encounters and an interesting take on action combat, where you have an attack phase moving around freely, attacking and using skills with a limited pool of points against enemies defending, and then the reverse phase where it's your turn to dodge and parry telegraphed attacks.

And talking about visuals like last time, I think some games could really benefit from going for a style like this, instead of simplistic 3D. It's just so nice looking...
it looks pretty good and going by the trailer the visuals doesn't seem to crash.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I often think back to the Final Fantasy 13 "HD towns are hard" excuse. For me that would have been a better argument to not shoot for the moon with fidelity rather than what we got which was to avoid including towns. I know dev isn't totally linear like this but in an ideal world I'd rather see games planned for features first.
I know it isnn't really related at all to it but this reminded me of the comment from the final fantasy 7 remakes dev saying it would take like decades to proper remake Final Fantasy IX and be across like 4 titles

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
It was VI, i guess i kind of make sense in a way since it has 2 world maps but at the same time it would be a bad idea and each game would sell worse than the previous one.
Oh
Yeah all I knew was it, it was a final fantasy game and that it wasnt 7 so I guessed something that wasnt one of the mmos

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018

"Hermen Hulst, soon to be co-CEO of Sony's PlayStation business, addresses day 1 PC releases. Live service games will come day and date on PS5 and PC, but single player narrative games on PC are designed to then entice PC owners to play sequels on a PlayStation console."

My reaction to this information:
I see that they still didn't figured out how PC market works. Epic couldn't make people to use free launcher and they are hoping to sell 500$ box and the. Make those people buy 3rd party games on PSN. Also point of moving to PC is to reach more people, especially in emerging markets because in established ones they kinda reached limits. But guess what they f-ing don't support 2/3 of the world countries/regions. And they hope to sell 500$ box to those people? At this point they sold enough games on PC to show few things, miniscule number of people got PlayStation for the sequel (if I remember correctly Horizon 2 and GoW 2 for example both sold less than predecessors and Spider-Man 2 is maybe at similar number of copies sold compared to first game), and second is that compared to 3rd party day 1 launches Sony 2-4 year ports do significantly worse.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
I see that they still didn't figured out how PC market works. Epic couldn't make people to use free launcher and they are hoping to sell 500$ box and the. Make those people buy 3rd party games on PSN. Also point of moving to PC is to reach more people, especially in emerging markets because in established ones they kinda reached limits. But guess what they f-ing don't support 2/3 of the world countries/regions. And they hope to sell 500$ box to those people? At this point they sold enough games on PC to show few things, miniscule number of people got PlayStation for the sequel (if I remember correctly Horizon 2 and GoW 2 for example both sold less than predecessors and Spider-Man 2 is maybe at similar number of copies sold compared to first game), and second is that compared to 3rd party day 1 launches Sony 2-4 year ports do significantly worse.
I think this is just corporate talk to appease the hardcore fans because the casual PS5 gamer doesn't care about any of this shit. If this were true we wouldn't have gotten Horizon Forbidden West or GOW Ragnarok (which is probably getting announced tomorrow), why bring the sequels to PC if you want them to experience them on PS5?

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
FINALLY! We have it straight from the horse's mouth
Sony is primarily a single-player narrative focus (cinematic experience action game) Publisher!

I hope (for their sake) their other studios can cushion that narrow-focused very expensive time-bomb

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
As of April 2024, Spiderman 2 has sold 11 million copies

-----------------

It took over 7 years but I finally beat ICO, yeah Sony will definitely never make games like that again.

Reactions: QFNS

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018

"Hermen Hulst, soon to be co-CEO of Sony's PlayStation business, addresses day 1 PC releases. Live service games will come day and date on PS5 and PC, but single player narrative games on PC are designed to then entice PC owners to play sequels on a PlayStation console."

I'm sure they will get some new customers this way, there's a logic to giving potential customers a chance to sample your goods. It won't be on a large scale obviously but day-1 FOMO is a powerful force for some people.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
That strategy won't work for Sony this gen but it could next gen.

They would need to change a lot for PC gamers to jump aboard console gaming.

The PS6 has to be more affordable. It would need to be more than a basic living room device as well. Something handheld/hybrid could be better.

But right now with the PS5 its not gonna happen. All the sequels to these franchises that Steam users are buying will take forever to release. There is no FOMO unless they start pumping out games faster. Because as of now most PC gamers won't care having to wait an extra year or two for the steam release. The platform 1st party library has to be bigger in order to increase hardware value.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
FINALLY! We have it straight from the horse's mouth
Sony is primarily a single-player narrative focus (cinematic experience action game) Publisher!

I hope (for their sake) their other studios can cushion that narrow-focused very expensive time-bomb
And they confirmed what we were saying for a while that most money comes from multiplatform games

• Sad
Reactions: Ge0force
Dec 5, 2018
And they confirmed what we were saying for a while that most money comes from multiplatform games

And that's why everyone wants their live service game (even if it gets harder and harder for every new player to get a piece of the pie). And also why a lot of the userbase is still on last gen, why jump if you can still play the same 1-2 live service games.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
That strategy won't work for Sony this gen but it could next gen.

They would need to change a lot for PC gamers to jump aboard console gaming.

The PS6 has to be more affordable. It would need to be more than a basic living room device as well. Something handheld/hybrid could be better.

But right now with the PS5 its not gonna happen. All the sequels to these franchises that Steam users are buying will take forever to release. There is no FOMO unless they start pumping out games faster. Because as of now most PC gamers won't care having to wait an extra year or two for the steam release. The platform 1st party library has to be bigger in order to increase hardware value.
I seriously doubt the PS6 will be cheaper than the PS5. I expect it to be at least $100 more.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Giving the benefit of the doubt and hoping that's just corpo speak to calm investors. Otherwise it shows a remarkable misunderstanding of the PC Gamer audience. We are literally conditioned to wait for years as it is. There is nothing Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft can do to make me a console gamer because I have become inherently against everything they stand for.

I don't like the ecosystems, I will not be taxed for using my own internet connection, I will not coerced into paying for basic functions available for free on better platforms. (IE: Cloud Saves.) I will not be stripped of my rights to modify, inject, or tamper with files/games I bought the license to. (IE: Mods, Post-Processing injectors like ReShade and Cheats for SP games.)

They could be giving PS5's away for free on every street corner and I still would avoid it like a plague. :sorryblob:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
It has been said before but it must be repeated:
Sony needs PC, PC doesn't need Sony.

They are free to do whatever they want but if they stubbornly decide to keep going this way they'll only be digging a bigger hole for themselves. We'll wait for them to inevitably crawl back, even if it takes a long time.
I'm one of those with absolute zero interest in any of sony's games, besides BB but that's a completely different story, so I'll just grab the popcorn and watch the fireworks.

Also lmao at anyone thinking the next gen boxes will be cheaper. As I wrote in the 5 years prediction thread, get ready for a 700$ PS6.

Shantom

Mar 17, 2021
Epic's issue is that they needed to lure millions of people from Steam to make the business model even sort of work. Sony don't need that, they just need to entice enough people with FOMO to stem losses to PC from console. It's a much smaller ask.

I still don't think they'll manage it, but at least if they do fail they're still getting money for these ports, just not as much money as they would for day 1. Epic on the other hand get nearly nothing after the exclusivity runs out.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Epic's issue is that they needed to lure millions of people from Steam to make the business model even sort of work. Sony don't need that, they just need to entice enough people with FOMO to stem losses to PC from console. It's a much smaller ask.

I still don't think they'll manage it, but at least if they do fail they're still getting money for these ports, just not as much money as they would for day 1. Epic on the other hand get nearly nothing after the exclusivity runs out.
Sony needs to convince users to drop 500$ + higher game prices. And after that they need to convince those players to keep spending money inside PlayStation ecosystem.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Epic's issue is that they needed to lure millions of people from Steam to make the business model even sort of work. Sony don't need that, they just need to entice enough people with FOMO to stem losses to PC from console. It's a much smaller ask
They only need to convice people to go from an open platform where they can play any game they want any way they want to spend few hundred € to play one or two games the way Sony wants.
I don't really see it as a small ask.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I mean we are talking about company that went to PC market and wanted to mandate account on service that supports 1/3 of the world countries that store where they are selling their game.

• Toucan
Reactions: Lashley and lashman

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Sony treats their console releases as the initial box office run and PC releases as VODs. Live service games require a large player pool for more microtransations so a day one PC release makes sense on that front. As a user it sucks but I get why they're doing it.

Anyway here's something more interesting

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Sony doesn't understand that it's exactly their standard console business model that made PC users learn they will always get what they want as long as they have patience. Up until 2 generations ago everyone who gamed on a pc knew that pc had its own library while consoles had their own, and arguably consoles too had their own exclusives compared to others. Console makers knew this, and most importantly publishers truly believed this. It's why certain series where so ingrainded in a certain ecosystem and it was unthinkable a fanbase existed somewhere else. But as that generation passed and as console sales started to grow more slowly the need to find extra revenue convinced some of thos publishers to start seeking greener pastures
The most historical game for this change it's obvious Dark Souls. Pretending it's something else is pointless. The Steam release was obviously something unexpected that happened overnight, but guess what, Bamco saw the dollars coming in after that release and decided the next one would have been on pc much faster (only a month late). For pc users that month was nothing compared to how much they waited for the first, and following FS games all came out day one
And that's the thing. That's what shows that patience pays off. Deep inside giving Steam users late ports stemmed from the idea that you could get more sales with double dippers, and I think at first it was true. If Dark Souls was impossible to get on pc why would a pc users don't buy it on console supposing he had one? When Dark Souls came out on pc why would that one pc user not buy it again since it felt impossible something like that would have happened and now he can play it how he wants on his pc? But now you have a precedent and that same pc user has no reason to get DS2 on a console. I know that because that pc users is me. That's what I did and that was one of the first moments when I realized I no longer needed consoles. Well that and Valkyria Chronicles. Both games taught me patience is always rewarded. The pc releases were so much better than what I got on console (at least thanks to Durante) that I decided this was the way I wanted to play in the future, and so I never bought a PS4 and never will buy another home console again
Then after Dark Souls we got Monster Hunter,, we got Resident Evil, we got Metal Gear, we got Sonic, we got Mega Man, we got Warriors, we got shohen jump's anime games, we got Yakuza, we got Atlus, we got Fatal Frame, we got Atelier, we got Danganronpa, we got Neptunia, we got Disgaea, and well while they do love timed exclusivity the truth is we also got Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and many of SE smaller titles. Now some of those series did have some older pc port in the past (like most older Warriors) but what I mean is that we're getting them day and date on Steam and in the west. These series and many more where the true "console exclusives". You wanted to play the latest Dragon Ball game? Console or get out. You wanted to play the latest SRW? Console or get out. But now we know patience wins, because publishers unwillingly trained pc users to be patient. And deep inside Sony knows this, they know they are at fault, they know that they should have kept more of those series exclusive for longer, but well I say this a lot but "money doesn't grow on trees" and at one point even the biggest Sony fanboys inside those companies had to admit there is no benefit in supporting only a single platform (or were simply driven out, see Nagoshi). Remember for example Danganrompa's creator "Why won't people buy a Vita?". Well guess what Danganrompa is everywhere now. Sony saying "we want pc users to get a taste of our games so they then go and buy our console to play the sequel" is not simple wishful thinking, it's pure desperation. They really want this to happen because most PS4 users didn't make the PS5 jump and unfortunately for them the same could happen to the PS6. Time for companies works differently compared to normal people. They must look at the future and act fast (especially with how budgets and prices are growing) and they know the PS5 current trends paint a grim picture for the long run
When you think about it, the EGS failure stems from this too, but this was said a million times already

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019

This is ridiculous. I remember this theory being floated when Sony first started porting their games to PC. I thought it was ridiculous fanboy drivel and there's no way a multibillion dollar corporation would think that's what's going to happen. The simple reason they were porting their games was because they realized that there's so much money to be made by expanding your audience. And then the next boss of the company just... says it out loud.

What a deeply, fundamentally flawed misunderstanding of the PC market this is. PC has the largest catalog of games available by far, going back 30 years or more, and an audience that is diffused among all those titles. Every PC gamer in the world right now has a game they are happy to be playing instead of yours if you choose not to make it available to them. Right now there are more people playing Terraria from 2011 than your latest and greatest PC release Ghost of Tsushima from last week. More people are playing Gary's Mod right now and not one of them can tell you what Gary's mod actually is. And your galaxy brain idea is that you will somehow get these people to buy your next underpowered hardware and pay for online connectivity and cloud saves and higher prices for games to play Ghost of Tsushima 2 twenty months before you release it on PC anyway? That's the fucking plan?

They would make more money by attracting more people to buy the games at full price at or near the playstation release date rather than waiting 2 years and trying to sell it at almost full price anyway. You lose half the potential audience because they're no longer interested and some people who waited for the PC release will wait a bit longer for a discount while playing one of the four hundred and fifty million other games they were already happily playing. After all this PSN telemetry shit they're forcing on their PC ports I cannot wait for them to analyze the data and come to the conclusion that they managed to 'convert' about 0.1% of PC gamers into Playstation hardware users after 4 years of porting their shit.

This fucking industry man... wisdom is chasing them but they're just faster.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Sony treats their console releases as the initial box office run and PC releases as VODs. Live service games require a large player pool for more microtransations so a day one PC release makes sense on that front. As a user it sucks but I get why they're doing it.

I'm guessing 3 is the only one with the Octopath treatment. The other 2 games will just be bundled-in as OG classics similar to pixel remasters.

You can just choose them in the menu and play them before doing 3. or something like that.

But fucking hell if they managed to actually do all 3. Will be a hell of a bundle either way. This really will pave the way to getting all other DQ games on Steam over time.

7, 8 and 9 are inevitable. The only question is will they happen before or after 12.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Finished Lightning Returns. Never thought I'd enjoy it this much after the terrible first impression all those years ago. It's funny how the convenience of a handheld makes it easier to revisit old games and putting time into them that you otherwise never would.
Nonsensical story aside, that was a pretty spectacular ending.
Now I'm going to focus on beating Hi Fi Rush and I'll be all set for SMTV.

Sony would make a lot more money by releasing everything day 1 on PC.
They will realize that eventually.

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I'm guessing 3 is the only one with the Octopath treatment. The other 2 games will just be bundled-in as OG classics similar to pixel remasters.
If this is the case, let's hope for pixel remasters and not switch ports.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I kinda hope this 2+ year delay that Sony dictates for their releases mans that eventually Nixxes will be just free to backport their old catalogue: game dev takes longer and hour each year. While there are still some PS5 games to port over, like GOW2, Spidey2, and so on, it will probably takes years for the next AAA Sony game to hit, and even if it does, Nixxes won't have a job to do until a couple years later. So either Sony lets Nixxes do nothing, or -- more sensibly -- you use the PC porting studio to .. you know .. port stuff, in this case necessarily older stuff.

Last edited:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
It makes sense why sony does it the way they do I'm just not sure how successful that will be, not because of the limited money late ports usually bring in but their goal is to avoid hurting console sales and I believe they've already started that process. Once you crack open that door you've told people it's going to happen at some point and people will wait once they've been trained to expect them.

There's a reason all over the internet you see pc gamers say all you need is pc/switch. They know nintendo stuff isn't coming ever. so they've mentally already accepted they'll need a nintendo platform.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Sony thinking they'll get PC players to buy expensive POS consoles to play their once per decade AAA slop hahahahahahahaha

Let's see how long your profit margins last before you come crawling back

Live a Live 2????????????????

Holy SHIT

Status
Not open for further replies.