Community MetaSteam | May 2024 - Wake up samurai, we gonna get this Persian kitty home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I've hit this point for a good decade now, graphics have long hit diminishing returns for me and the tech evolving has gone from being genuinely impressive from being neat at best. On top of that, I honestly think that chasing hyperrealism is the most boring thing you could do visually.

Final Fantasy is a neat example of this because the series has always been chasing the visuals of what used to be prerendered CGI in the PS1 era, and now that we're long past that... now what? What do you do from here? Just continue getting sillier visually by having hyperrealistic anime characters? That ain't it.
I do think rebirth looks really good when you look at the whole picture. Like he says in the video if you're going to hyper focus on any one spot or go to a corner in some town it's going to look terrible, but pulling back to a normal point of view and just playing the game it looks good enough. It has enough fidelity to go with its art style to convey the task it had to convey- rendering ff7's towns in modern detail. It doesn't do what horizon does where you can see every nose hair on every random NPC but that's not important, it doesn't add anything to the game but make it cost more.

FF lost the graphics arms race more than a decade ago. Japan in general proved they can't keep up with the west in tech and for a while that hurt them but now they're in a unique spot where being so far behind is actually helping them as the west buckles under budgets getting too high and game sales slowing down. SE should be fine with accepting that FF will never have that top of the line visual "wow" factor again. It can still be higher budget than most other jrpgs and innovate in other areas like combat, and for the record I do think SE understands that. My thoughts as I played through rebirth was that a lot of the budget went to things that weren't raw graphical fidelity. It went to stuffing it with absurd amounts of content and music (seriously every little thing in this game has its own song it's ridiculous), and the fact they got it out in 3 years kept costs down significantly versus the 5+ years most sequels take.

Reactions: lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Interested in CV. Never got around to playing that. I think it's the only big game in the series that doesn't have some version of it on PC.
According to Wikipedia it never came out on PC, yep.

I'd take RE 1, 0 and CV in the RE2/RE3/RE4-remake style as I dont like the fixed camera style of those games (nor the tank controls, no matter how some people praise them)
But of course, I'd like it if the originals would also be made avaiable for all of those that want to play them. If only for game preservation reasons, put everything on Steam/GOG/whatever. Just make the original games available, and then remake whatever (without removing the originals, like Rockstar did)

But anways – who knows if there is even any merit to those leaks. We'll see.

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
Thinking about graphics and the example of Hellblade. I did enjoy the first game despite its very basic gameplay and I certainly would consider playing the sequel in the future. But if I'm in the mood to play some low gameplay narrative experience then there's plenty of choice out there, most of which are much cheaper. The only selling point Hellblade has over them is top of the line graphics and frankly I just don't care enough for that for it to make a difference in my spending.

Reactions: fearthedawn

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'd take RE 1, 0 and CV in the RE2/RE3/RE4-remake style as I dont like the fixed camera style of those games (nor the tank controls, no matter how some people praise them)
But of course, I'd like it if the originals would also be made avaiable for all of those that want to play them. If only for game preservation reasons, put everything on Steam/GOG/whatever. Just make the original games available, and then remake whatever (without removing the originals, like Rockstar did)
Releasing the PS1 and DC era originals would be great. Maybe someone at Capcom will look at Square's Pixel Remaster series and think about releasing such an anthology collection of their old classics, ideally with a focus on recreating the old pre-HD look of early 3D games, with CRT filter and everything. Not holding my breath, but I could see that happening, if they can do it cheap enough. Wouldn't require more than licensing a couple emulators, really. I don't expect actual native ports, if they even have the source code for such old releases on hand.

• This!
Reactions: lashman and LEANIJA

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
The excitement for graphics wore off for me after like 3 months of having a competent gaming PC. Don't get me wrong Hellblade 2, GoT, and HFW look fantastic, but I'm not a photo mode gamer so that aspect of the game becomes kind of irrelevant for me.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Well that are Lost in Random and CoD Black Ops Cold War done.

Lost in Random is interesting game that is dragged down by too much battles that can las too long because fighting mechanic is really tedious. Also lack of interesting things to do inside levels didn't help. Overall story is ok and visually game looks really nice. It would be great game if devs trimmed some fat and added something more than fighting.

CoD is standard CoD, stupid mindless fun that s i said before was just what i needed after games like Alice Madness Returns, Metro Last Light and especially Plague Tale Requiem. CoD games are just like McDonalds burgers, simple but you know what you are getting and that is sometimes just what you need.

With those 2 games i am now at 14 games finished this year and out of those 14 i finished 11 on Deck XD

Reactions: thekeats1999

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Whats funny to me about graphics argument or whatever is I can think back to older games and they like Ultima 7 and I could take wheat make it into flour and make it into dough and then make that into bread and eat it

Or I encountered a locked door, I'm sure there was a key somewhere but I found/saw a canon on some ramparts found gunpowder and a canon ball and shot the canon at the door and well well there's no more fucking door.

In other adventure games it wasn't until way later they didn't bother putting shit like that in and many still don't have still like that in because it's seemingly pointless

So yeah all in all graphics have never been the "Deciding" factor for me it's been a what does this game offer to me for my time

Spookyfriend

Jan 27, 2019
No Ubisoft Connect, and includes Steam achievements and cloud saves. I despise Ubisoft, but I'm actually considering buying this to vote with my wallet in a positive way for once.
I too want to open my wallet , however there is nothing to stop Ubisoft from adding the Connect after EA :(

• Sad

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I too want to open my wallet , however there is nothing to stop Ubisoft from adding the Connect after EA :(
According to the devs, Connect integration will be added BUT it will be optional. Let's wait and see before opening out wallet.

Cool process, but I had to Google what slipknot is. :flare_lmao:
I saw these guys on a rock festival many years ago. They were all wearing masks and they seemed to be VERY angry. 🫢

Reactions: LEANIJA

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Abiotic Factor might be my favorite game of the year so far. It has so much content for an early access game.
It's 1000% landing in my Top 10 this year.

I'm in the same boat where I can't get over how much environmental diversity is in the game right now. And the roadmap indicates that there's a ton more on the way to boot!

Setting the game in a HL/Black Mesa/SCP landscape really highlights how introducing a fresh spaces can invigorate established norms. No tree-punching and berry-collecting in sight here, and it feels great.

Seems like sales are good so far but I'm kinda amazed that it doesn't have a firestorm of attention given the quality on offer.

In other news I nabbed Pools on a whim after spinning the demo.

It basically an AMSR walking sim with great atmosphere.

Super chill & relaxing. An excellent mood piece.

Now I'm finding myself delving down a Backroom-likes rabbit hole! The Complex prologue seemed neat so I might check the full release as it's going 1.0 soon.

Last edited:

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
Whats funny to me about graphics argument or whatever is I can think back to older games and they like Ultima 7 and I could take wheat make it into flour and make it into dough and then make that into bread and eat it

Or I encountered a locked door, I'm sure there was a key somewhere but I found/saw a canon on some ramparts found gunpowder and a canon ball and shot the canon at the door and well well there's no more fucking door.

In other adventure games it wasn't until way later they didn't bother putting shit like that in and many still don't have still like that in because it's seemingly pointless

So yeah all in all graphics have never been the "Deciding" factor for me it's been a what does this game offer to me for my time
I often think back to the Final Fantasy 13 "HD towns are hard" excuse. For me that would have been a better argument to not shoot for the moon with fidelity rather than what we got which was to avoid including towns. I know dev isn't totally linear like this but in an ideal world I'd rather see games planned for features first.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
If the Sony fanboys were already triggered by PC ports imagine using their so much awaited 30 minutes State of Play to announce it lmao.
I'll be honest, it's a bit weird to me how much some of you care about stuff like this.
When an event gets announced the last thing on my mind is how a particular group of people might react to a potential announcement.

Anyway, I'd love to replay TLOU2 on the Deck, assuming it runs well. PS4 games usually do but that game is just insane with what they pulled off on the hardware.
GoW Ragnarok is great as well but it's more recent, I don't see myself replaying it in the near future.

As for Bloodborne, at this point I'm guessing that they are doing a full remake. Who knows?

An astrobot game is supposed to be announced, would be cool to have it day 1 on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.