Community MetaSteam | May 2024 - Wake up samurai, we gonna get this Persian kitty home

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
By all visible metrics, Hi-Fi Rush in particular is an extremely successful and widely acclaimed game. So just being really good at making games is clearly not enough to prevent you from getting shut down.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Aside from Microsoft killing their only Japanese studio, it tracks companies wanting to concentrate on surefire AAA (in this case it seems to be Fallout and Elder Scrolls mines).
Surefire like Redfall was
Surefire like Halo is
Surefire like Starfield is

Nothing in AAA is surefire.
You are one middling game away from closing the studio.

Until the market stabilizes and budgets (and expectations!) calm down, you are better off making safe AAA sequels with moderate budgets. AND A to AA games with a wide net in genres and scope as possible. So that you can react to market conditions and player taste faster. Maybe there is even the next Halo, TLOU, COD, GTA, Palworld, Minecraft, Stardew, etc. among those A and AA games.
Because then you have EXPERIENCED and CONFIDENT developers.

Dumping all money in massive AAA games that take 5 to 10 years is just asking for the Studio to be closed. And can even impact successful small studios as collateral.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Im gonna be brutal and direct here: Anyone cheering for acquisitions can fuck off into the sun.
I can see why some people supported a number of acquisition by MS, which includes me. Some of the studios that they bought may not have survived for long without their capital, including Double Fine, Obsidian, and Tango. They make great games but these games don't sell well. In a perfect world having supports from a first-party platform owner can safeguard their future, financially-speaking.

However, we all now know the world is not perfect. Feel free to call me stupid, but a first-party platform owner who saved some weak but talented developers sounded great to many people. The important thing is if there are people still cheering for acquisition after today. I went to Xboxera just now and most of these hardcore xbox fanboys are fucking pissed, just like any sane person should feel.

I feel that the ABK acquisition is actually the final straw. The cost was too big and MS higher-ups want to see results quick, so they cut these "minor" studios and re-focus their resources on big and important games. Fucking short-sighted if you ask me.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Saw some threads on Reddit about it being blocked too. I'm ignorant on the situation, but I saw a few posts discussing how Valve might not pay taxes in the country and if that's the case then yeah that'll do it.

Dec 5, 2018
Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's good or bad just that that's how (big) companies see it (you just need to see how WB did with Suicide squad).

So that you can react to market conditions and player taste faster. Maybe there is even the next Halo, TLOU, COD, GTA, Palworld, Minecraft, Stardew, etc. among those A and AA games.
Because then you have EXPERIENCED and CONFIDENT developers.
The problem with this is companies keep firing and hiring new people which leads to retraining which leads to lack of experience (but that's a tech industry wide problem).

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Tango being shut down is very ominous news for XGS studios like Ninja Theory, Compulsion, and Double Fine, none of which are set up to produce big AAA releases
Double Fine is one in real danger because they are in expensive area.. Ninja Theory is smaller team in UK where developers are cheap as hell compared to US. Compulsion is in Canada so cheaper than US nut not as cheap as UK.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I think obsidian will technically be fine even if avowed flops. They will probably get put in the fallout mines whether they want to or not, so that will at least buy them some time.

Ninja theory though? They should be very nervous.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
The problem with this is companies keep firing and hiring new people which leads to retraining which leads to lack of experience (but that's a tech industry wide problem).
But new hires have cheaper salaries. Surely this will make profits go up!

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Imagine making the only decent game Xbox has released in the past 6 years and then being thanked by closing down your studio. Fucking rats.

If I were a Microsoft-owned studio I would be fucking terrified of being the next casualty of the Microsoft Studio Graveyard.

Thank god Toys for Bob got the fuck out of there.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Tango being shut down is very ominous news for XGS studios like Ninja Theory, Compulsion, and Double Fine, none of which are set up to produce big AAA releases
The smaller studios are on thin ice, which is ironic considering this interview awhile back:

Microsoft has Call of Duty now and doesn't have to pretend to care about auteur projects any more.

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Humble Choice day. Any guesses/wish list games you are hoping to see?

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Jesus Christ wtf
I mostly stay out of such topics, but this one hurts.
What kind of business strategy are these leaders running? To kill value creating studios and people?

These people shouldn't work in games industry for the utter disrespect they just did.

• Sad
Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Shantom

Mar 17, 2021
Double Fine is one in real danger because they are in expensive area.. Ninja Theory is smaller team in UK where developers are cheap as hell compared to US. Compulsion is in Canada so cheaper than US nut not as cheap as UK.
UK is only cheap because they're competing with the thousands of devs already laid off here :confounded-face:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Microsoft, what is it you doing

I can see why some people supported a number of acquisition by MS, which includes me. Some of the studios that they bought may not have survived for long without their capital, including Double Fine, Obsidian, and Tango. They make great games but these games don't sell well. In a perfect world having supports from a first-party platform owner can safeguard their future, financially-speaking.

However, we all now know the world is not perfect. Feel free to call me stupid, but a first-party platform owner who saved some weak but talented developers sounded great to many people. The important thing is if there are people still cheering for acquisition after today. I went to Xboxera just now and most of these hardcore xbox fanboys are fucking pissed, just like any sane person should feel.

I feel that the ABK acquisition is actually the final straw. The cost was too big and MS higher-ups want to see results quick, so they cut these "minor" studios and re-focus their resources on big and important games. Fucking short-sighted if you ask me.
Yeah, there is a timeline where these earlier acquisitions worked out.
But there's definitely been a shift in Xbox plans due to things not working out as they thought they would. Sucks.

• Sad
Reactions: Cacher

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
It never made sense to me when phil said this but then again I never bought into the magic of gamepass. The one thing that will always hold true is that games need to make money at the end of the day. Fairy dust like MAU and other made up analytics don't pay the bills, money does, and letting everyone rent your niche games for $10 was silly.

This comes on the heels of every TV sub crashing and burning except for netflix they're the only ones who managed to make some sense of this model. The others have spent untold billions to just keep losing money every year. Microsoft saw this happening and went what if we did the same thing but in an industry where it makes even less sense to do so because the majority of people aren't playing a bunch of games they're living in a handful of already free to play live service games 24/7.

Now I'll remind you that a bunch of executives got paid tens of millions of dollars to have that galaxy brain idea and put it into action while we get paid the bare minimum to get by despite being much smarter than this.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
My issue with the original quote in that thread is that they have been sacrificed to prop up Bethesda.

So last week we had a reminder that corporations don't really care about the players (until they get hit in the wallet). This week the reminder is that corporations don't care about the people who work for them,

• Sad
Reactions: Cacher

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
"Prioritizing high impact titles" just a shit corporate excuse to fire and shutdown any studio that isn't selling 10+million titles.

They are going with the Sony strategy but again..the difference is Sony is still selling the Playstation really well around the world. At least as well as the PS4 in same time frame. So Sony could weather this type of storm and still set revenue records with 3rd party software.

With Xbox they aren't selling that well so good luck with this wait and bake AAAA strategy. They expect PC gamers to pick up the slack but these big games are all one flop away from you losing hundreds of millions of $$$. They need to sell so much more Xboxs for this strategy to work.

• Sad
Reactions: thekeats1999

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Picked up Hades 2. No plan to play it atm though, will probably wait for full relase, same with No Rest for the Wicked which I picked up last week.

Reactions: Stevey

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I know nothing and am naive but why can't Tango Gameworks just carry on on their own?
How do they need MS to function?

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
Separately, Hades 2 being "woke" makes no sense to me. Complaining about a Female protag on PC is whack. Bros if you think she's uggo just shut the fuck up and wait for mods.
Yeah, I see the situation as a bit strange.

The funny thing about the whole Hades 2 situation is that it's explained pretty clearly in the beginning that the protagonist is actually Zagreus's daughter, so I can see why they'd want to try something different with a female protagonist. I just think people on social media are too jaded from games with whedonesque writing and overused millennial writing tropes (for example: Steve Urkel type characters and characters with the killmonger haircut) trying desperately to appeal to everybody (When really, such a thing is nigh impossible to do), and mis-avertedly blaming it on diversity, when that's not really the problem here.

The only way you could try to claim that the game is "woke", based on what I've seen of the game, is purely based on the engagement farming articles that certain gaming sites have been pushing for controversy and clicks, when we know that these same sites would try to "cancel" the game and attempt to pedo-jacket it 0.0000025 microseconds after it drops if it was hetero-normative (not coded or pandering towards women or gay people that read smutty romance novels or spend too much time on Tumblr). Not that those kind of games are a bad thing, variety is the spice of life, just that there's a reason why they gave the bear druid scene in Baldur's Gate 3 a pass. The same engagement farming sites were quick to jump on the Xenoblade 2 hate train, just to then glaze the third game at every waking opportunity. The way that I see it, these gaming outlets are once again creating a culture war problem. How much of this is down to engagement farming on social media and the Steam forums, I'm unsure at this point.

That said, I'm looking forward to giving the game a try once it leaves early access. The game seems alright and the soundtrack is an improvement over the first game's.

The point is bullying and harassing the developers and signaling that gaming should not be inclusive to people who aren't cis gendered white men.
Yeah harassing over something like that (not like harassing individual employees is acceptable at all) I think is pretty petty. Big difference to me between changing something that already exists and making something entirely new.

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
This is so funny when you consider that most of Xbox's big games as of late have been live service failures and then there's Starfield, which Walmart was suggesting they'd sell for $4 and then dump the remaining copies in landfills.

Halo Infinite (Enough has been said about this already), several Forza Motorsports games (Including the developers lying about physics being built from the ground up, needlessly demanding system requirements, poor optimization, corruption with how they handle the community and game moderation), Starfield, Redfall. Could go on. While Halo MCC is in a okay state right now, there's a bunch of issues with it that haven't been fixed. And yet Microsoft is still choosing to pump and dump billions of dollars into these failed ventures while ignoring feedback.

And it doesn't help that I'm already skeptical of Hellblade 2 and the other stuff that Microsoft is working on. I wish they'd just put that Activision + Blizzard acquisition to good use and greenlight a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3+4.

The Xbox client and the Microsoft Store still being unstable, Windows 11 still being a glorified beta with half of it's features not working or cancelled (Windows Subsystem for Android, the only Android emulator on PC that wasn't spyware), the Xbox system software having like so many UI problems, the Final Fantasy XIV banning problem showing how Xbox has replaced actual moderation with AI, their controllers being the absolute worst with how complacent they've been. Not even to mention how 343i and many of their other studios have bled through employees due to Microsoft's hiring practices and poor management as a result.

HiFi Rush was like the one rare W that Microsoft and Xbox had, and they completely blew it. I don't feel sorry for them (Or Sony) anymore. I hope the employees can swiftly find somewhere else to work that will hopefully treat them better.
Aside from Microsoft killing their only Japanese studio, it tracks companies wanting to concentrate on surefire AAA (in this case it seems to be Fallout and Elder Scrolls mines).
The only Japanese support that Xbox has at this point are several year old ports of games, stuff from Bandai Namco/Capcom/Sega that have already been adjusted for western appeal, and Dragon Ball. Which isn't much.

Wow this actually works. But is it really safe to do though? I saw it put Devotion in the cart but I didn't dare to proceed.
I tried this with Devotion and Driver: San Francisco, and sadly both showed up as region locked, and prevented me from going further.

Last edited:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Nintendo quarterly Software sales.

18% of sales are 3rd party.
There are some Japanese powerhouses in those 3rd party sales.

So where is the narrative of those Indie "Switch successes" coming from?

€dit: Seems like 1st party full revenue against 3rd party Nintendo Revenue (the money that goes to Nintendo from every 3rd party sale.)
Also, the last 5 years:

FY23: 79.1% (source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2023/230509_3e.pdf)
FY22: 78.8% (source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2022/220510_6e.pdf)
FY21: 79.4% (source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2021/210506_3e.pdf)
FY20: 82.8% (source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200507_3e.pdf)
FY19: 83.8% (source: in the FY20 report above)

Last edited:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Many Nintendo first-party games sell 5-15 million+ whereas third-party games selling over 1 million is already a huge, huge success. The numbers match.

Regarding the indie successes, I think they can be relatively successful compared with Sony or Xbox, because the latter two either don't advertise or just put them on Game Pass. Meanwhile, these successes definitely have no match to those on Steam where indie games can really blow up.

Edit: Also maybe the narrative comes from the first or second year because I haven't read such success story on Switch for a long time.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
What seems insane to me is that T2 or Microsoft or some other video games megacorpos are still making money. They're still profitable. But instead of cultivating talent and technical expertise from the people who made it profitable in the first place, they're more concerned about watching ROI numbers goes exponentially high on the next financial report. And possibly using that ROI to fund yet another acquisition, and thus complete the circle of insanity.

Another thing that raised my ire today is some people are still defending Phil Spencer. And I quote: “But he’s a good human and he cares deeply for the creative process and developers.” This is hilarious to me because if he cared about the creative process in the first place, Phil should be out of the job since as far as I've seen, he's fucking terrible at it. Phil also have the privilege to come home that night to play on his Xbox rather than explaining to his family that he's been sacked.

But anyway, what do I know. I'm just a weeb. :flare_lmao:

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
18% of sales are 3rd party.
There are some Japanese powerhouses in those 3rd party sales.
With the Sony check (Forcing changes on games that already had ESRB and CERO ratings, and were compliant within legal laws to release), and closing down Japan Studio, it really feels like they kneecapped themselves in the process. I have only seen one game release so-far that had it's Switch release canceled for content reasons, and that got a Steam release anyways. The fact of the matter was that Japanese developers were the only ones keeping the PS3 and Vita afloat when Sony had a problem with getting people to adopt it.

Nintendo still makes most of their bank off their recognizable first-party games, licensed merchandise, and profit margins on their hardware (regardless of how dated the Switch is, or how their joycons aren't built to last), but considering the Switch is the only console platform nowadays that's really getting close to PS2 numbers, that's pretty impressive.

I sold my Switch because I barely used it, but if a Switch 2 releases soon, I will probably get one of those before I buy a PS5 or an Xbox Series console.

the latter two either don't advertise or just put them on Game Pass
Yeah while there's something to be said about how bloated and slow the eShop is, susceptible to the same issue of shovelware as PSN and Steam, at least Nintendo advertises new third-party game releases on their official outlets fairly often.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
"The fallout from this (today's layoffs), been hearing more and more.. been hearing for years that Perfect Dark is in a rough state, sounds like it's in a very rough state"

"And it doesn't sound like it's really come together in any way since then (since the announcement) and like Crystal Dynamics coming on board to come help on that.."

Regarding first person shooter aspect:

"It sounds like they don't even know if that's what they want to do with that"
This is jeff grubb talking about Perfect Dark. I've been saying this for years but the industry's been needing to talk about how seemingly every MS game has severe mismanagement issues for a while but it's largely gone ignored.

Halo Infinite- we all know how bad this was handled by now

Forza- MS gave them 6 years to make a standard racing game and it launched woefully incomplete and full of issues

Hellblade 2- It's finally coming out after 5 years since it was announced despite the fact it's a budget sub 10 hour game. What took so long?

Sea of Thieves- It may be ok now but it launched as a bare shell of a game and took 2 extra years to fix.

State of Decay 3- missing in action since it was announced in 2020

Perfect Dark- multiple years of reports of this being a total shit show

Fable- Was leaked by eurogamer in 2017 and here we are 7 years later and it's nowhere in sight

Everwild- missing in action since it was announced and reports have come out in the last few years that even Rare had no idea what this game was meant to be

Redfall- this may have been started with zenimax but MS had ample time to look it over or help fix it and they did nothing

Starfield- again may have been started with zenimax but MS did nothing to really help fix the game's many issues. When it launched it was missing standard things like a FOV slider, brightness slider, maps. It was another woefully incomplete game that took 5+ months to get these things.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Did Nintendo get lucky with the Switch?

Many Nintendo first-party games sell 5-15 million+ whereas third-party games selling over 1 million is already a huge, huge success. The numbers match.

Regarding the indie successes, I think they can be relatively successful compared with Sony or Xbox, because the latter two either don't advertise or just put them on Game Pass. Meanwhile, these successes definitely have no match to those on Steam where indie games can really blow up.

Edit: Also maybe the narrative comes from the first or second year because I haven't read such success story on Switch for a long time.

Back in the day those indie devs were lucky that Breath of the Wild turned into a huge success.