Community MetaSteam | November 2019 - You Can't Spell Steam Without EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I think it is quite funny how 'Americans love their FPS' comment from Kojima is both right (because CoD will be again #1 in sales this year, with even Days Gone selling more than DS) and wrong (because honestly he just comes as salty).

Reactions: lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I think it is quite funny how 'Americans love their FPS' comment from Kojima is both right (because CoD will be again #1 in sales this year, with even Days Gone selling more than DS) and wrong (because honestly he just comes as salty).
Look, we don't even have to dig into it too deeply. DethStrand's PS4 cover features no firearm nor some dude expressing a threat in their body language. How else the dudebros going to relate to its characters or decide whether the game is for them or not?

The secret to sell more games in America: always feature a gun in the cover. You won't sell as much units otherwise.

:dana_bed:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
My favorite thing about his comments is everyone working themselves into a frenzy over the like, most goddamn stereotypical auteur comments possible. It's like Scorsese and Marvel all over again (not that I think Kojima is on the same plane of creativity as Scorsese).

Shocking news, dude who likes making weirdo shit that tries to comment on the American military complex might have some salt over games funded by the American military complex selling better than his.

:Dota_Invoke:
Hot take: Kojima has absolutely a point tho. His games always carry a message, which cannot be said for the 90% other mainstream releases in any given year. By message I mean Kojima wanting to teach something to the player, not just have a compelling story.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I've played deep games and I've played shallow games and if it's not engaging to me for whatever reason, be that gameplay or story or a sum of all its parts, I'm not gonna recommend it to anybody. Having a message doesn't exempt it from criticism on how it delivers it to the player (not reader, or viewer, or anything of the sort, the player). I've not played it, I'm just saying. Even if reviewers totally missed the message, if the game wasn't compelling to them then that's that. If they find it "empty" and don't find the fun/entertainment/interest/message/engagement in surviving/defeating/whatever the open world for hours on end, well it is what it is, not anybody being too dumb to get it, too beneath its inspiring radiance, or whatever, it's all just subjective. Maybe I'll adore it when it releases on Steam, maybe I'll hate it, it could go either way with his track record. Hopefully no Kojima is God "jokes" in this one though, too cringey.

Last edited:
Reactions: RionaaM

Rando10123

Sep 15, 2019
Which is to say, Kojima is being an ass to suggest that it's American critics in particular who are too dumb with their shooty-shooty-bang-bangs to "understand" his game. But he wouldn't be wrong to say that a lot of critics seemed wholly unequipped to dissect what they liked, disliked, loved or even hated about the game.
He's probably talking about reviews like Giant Bomb and IGN, doubt he even read that Kotaku review. It seems Kojima is always in one controversy or another when it comes to the game industry, lol

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The more I read about Destra, the more interesting it seems, though not as a full price title, honestly.
The community aspect seems interesting, but I also kinda hope there's a way to turn it off, would rather explore the world and build shortcuts on my own.

Reactions: Mor and prudis

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Hot take: Kojima has absolutely a point tho. His games always carry a message, which cannot be said for the 90% other mainstream releases in any given year. By message I mean Kojima wanting to teach something to the player, not just have a compelling story.
The problem is that Kojima is attempting to deliver that message through terrible, terrible means. His writing is at film student level. Maybe not even that.

Reactions: NarohDethan

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
YES.

My MB came with one. My NVME sits at around 40-50 °C. Without the heatsink it would easily reach 60 °C
Any recommendations for a heatsink? I plan on buying a 2TB Intel 660p and I have a Asrock Taichi X470 mobo. Are all heatsinks rather similar or is there the issue that some may not fit all drives?

By the way H games are something else.....some of them can have very simple level designs and that's not bad.
If only they allowed for more save slots though.....
H games are the future.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Any recommendations for a heatsink? I plan on buying a 2TB Intel 660p and I have a Asrock Taichi X470 mobo. Are all heatsinks rather similar or is there the issue that some may not fit all drives?
Im curious about this too. Ive ordered a M.2 drive so will install it this weekend, looks like my Mobo already has a heat sink attached for one of the M.2 slots. Anyone know any reason not to just use it?

Also the drive i bought is PCIe gen 3 but i think my mobo would support a gen4. Im assuming i just wont get the 4 speeds but that shouldn't really matter should it? I mean, its going to be pretty fast anyway and fine for just gaming use right?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Please be aware that this is not an attack on anyone, because I love you all but I have a minor pet peeve these days on Meta : context.
Regularly some controversy happens and people react to it here. Normal. But no one takes the time to give context as to what prompted the reaction, there is no 'summary' of the original issue. And I have to go elsewhere to get the full thing.
My point is that discussions here should be self sufficient and I shouldn't have to go elsewhere to 'get it'.

By the way and on a tangent, I'm arguing for self sufficiency, not isolation.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Please be aware that this is not an attack on anyone, because I love you all but I have a minor pet peeve these days on Meta : context.
Regularly some controversy happens and people react to it here. Normal. But no one takes the time to give context as to what prompted the reaction, there is no 'summary' of the original issue. And I have to go elsewhere to get the full thing.
My point is that discussions here should be self sufficient and I shouldn't have to go elsewhere to 'get it'.

By the way and on a tangent, I'm arguing for self sufficiency, not isolation.
I am feeling the same way. Sometimes I feel like I am stupid or something. Suddenly a new topic is being discussed, but there is no context on the first post that started the discussion.

Reactions: Wok and lashman

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
The 660p won't need a heatsink. Very few SSDs in very specific scenarios like high load for a long time in badly ventilated cases will overheat to a point that the performance suffers noticeably*. Just think about how much data you can transfer at full speed in a few seconds which isn't enough for the drive to heat up. The obsession with keeping everything as cool as possible despite not coming close to critical temps has gone too damn far, I say!1! Some components (like memory chips on SSDs) actually do like a certain amount of heat, being too cool while working cuts their life short, kinda like a cold car engine shouldn't be pushed too hard before warming up.

And there are lots of different heatsinks, you gotta look at your SSD and figure out what fits best, for example if it has memory chips on both sides?

*Ah, another exception are some of the newer PCIe 4.0 drives which get quite hot.

My MB came with one. My NVME sits at around 40-50 °C. Without the heatsink it would easily reach 60 °C
Under sustained load? 60* isn't anything to worry about.

Im curious about this too. Ive ordered a M.2 drive so will install it this weekend, looks like my Mobo already has a heat sink attached for one of the M.2 slots. Anyone know any reason not to just use it?

Also the drive i bought is PCIe gen 3 but i think my mobo would support a gen4. Im assuming i just wont get the 4 speeds but that shouldn't really matter should it? I mean, its going to be pretty fast anyway and fine for just gaming use right?
If your 'heatsink' looks like this don't use it:

Most mobo manufacturers learned from that disaster though, so chances are it at least won't do any harm.

Yes.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Nothing shows off your work productivity on Monday like putting all your time into watching dozens of fighting game matches from 1~10+ years ago~

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
AI - The Somnium Files is discounted on Steam (-30%).
I kinda want it on Swicth :confused-face:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I don't think that should be a hot-take since I agree, but yeah.

Honestly, it's probably not something a creator should really talk about since it usually makes them look pretentious or salty. But there is a really virulent strain of anti-intellectualism in video gaming that can rear its head even in games criticism, which is supposed to be "better" than the average nerfherding forum poster.

Very few of the reviews I read seemed to be equipped to deal with the game thematically, and that goes for both critics that liked and hated it. Even a game that had far higher reviews (Disco Elysium) seemed inundated with reviews and impressions from people who understood that they liked it, but seemed (to my pretentious ass) unable to elucidate why they liked it. It kind of sucks, but video game analysis is like a toddler compared to modern film criticism.
Did you read the RPGCodex review of DE? It's certainly different.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
In continuation of the topic touched upon on the last pages.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't think that reviewers are obligated to give any special treatment to a game which has a "message" or should inform the reader about every little reference the game has (for example, Onimusha is, very obviously, references Shakespeare or even Stoppard if we are charitable) unless there's a thematical relevance to it, fanservicy mentions akin to Psycho-Pass are nothing but a white noise.

With that being out of a way, I think there's defnitely a huge room for improvement in a creation of this kind of content. Modern video game reviews more often than not follow a blueprint full of checkboxes which renders a more creative approach to the review near impossible. How do you combat that? Honestly, I don't know. Literary and film criticism existed for centuries and had a long time to evolve into academic discipline with its own methodology. Would it be even possible with video games? How are you going to evaluate the worth of something as abstract and variable as gameplay? What's more important, gameplay, story, influence? At first glance these might be trivial questions but they haven't been answered yet.

As for Kojima's response, 2deep4you has never been a particularly good line of defence and he just comes off as a pompous asshole from JRPG threads on GFaqs.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Been playing DXHR-DC and man this game just keeps on going. Maybe it just feels too long because running around in the open areas took forever and the map sucks. So far, Missing Link was the best part of it. Very well designed, focused and a boss fight that isn’t terrible.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I definitely feel like games writing could use better analysis, as Samson pointed out. I don't think this means that "deeper" games should get better treatment, and this isn't even some kind of constraint. It's just about having some level of reflection, instead of providing a dreary, and boring report. I don't even feel like that's asking for a lot, unless you believe games don't have any inherent complexity that would permit analytic writing about them.

I suppose the real issue, though, is that people don't want to read anything. Just feed the hungry masses some stars and 10/10 and they're happy and content.

Reactions: beep boop and Wok

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
The style of videogame critique we see most is probably at least partly attributable to games being long compared to a lot of other media. If I want to hear interesting thoughts about a game I played, I rarely look up reviews. Most of the best content that really dissects a game (that I’ve come across) is released post-launch. Stuff like Errant Signal, Watch Out for Fireballs, etc. If you have to keep up with several releases per month, that’s a lot of work I imagine — assuming the site targets a relatively mainstream audience. Waypoint tends to put out solid content on the regular, but they also don’t cover everything and they’re not a huge operation either. The other major advantage of retrospectives over pre-release content other than time is also simply that you can draw from other people’s experiences, knowledge and so forth; digest that alongside your own thoughts and synthesize new insights. That kind of collective knowledge-seeking is a lot more powerful than ruminating on a game on your own.

One thing that bugs me is how easily high scores or praise in general is given out. There are a lot of games that score exceptionally well but seem like 5-7 at best. Sure, scores are largely meaningless, but I start questioning the writer’s eye for quality.

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
The style of videogame critique we see most is probably at least partly attributable to games being long compared to a lot of other media. Most of the best content that really dissects a game (that I’ve come across) is released post-launch. Stuff like Errant Signal, Watch Out for Fireballs, etc. If you have to keep up with several releases per month, that’s a lot of work I imagine — assuming the site targets a relatively mainstream audience. Waypoint tends to put out solid content on the regular, but they also don’t cover everything and they’re not a huge operation either.
Definitely. Putting dozens of hours into a single game is a lot of work. This is why retrospective reviews are more interesting to read, they aren't wrtten under time constraints, allow more exploration and there's no pressure on the reviewer due to the hype surrounding the game, just a more relaxed experience that allows you to breathe.

ramoisdead

MetaMember
Nov 5, 2018
Buying little by little the parts for my new PC build. So far, I got me a Ryzen 3900x, Phanteks P600s chassis, an open box Asus ROG x570-E Gaming mobo, and a Corsair TX850 80+ Gold PSU. Just need some RAM and a CPU Cooler. I already have my 1080 Ti vid card.

As for games, been playing Lonely Mountains: Downhill. It's a bit tough to handle but I do like that it's a mixture of Descenders and Trials HD. Short impressions so far gives me that "one more try" kind of vibe.

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Buying little by little the parts for my new PC build. So far, I got me a Ryzen 3900x, Phanteks P600s chassis, an open box Asus ROG x570-E Gaming mobo, and a Corsair TX850 80+ Gold PSU. Just need some RAM and a CPU Cooler. I already have my 1080 Ti vid card.

As for games, been playing Lonely Mountains: Downhill. It's a bit tough to handle but I do like that it's a mixture of Descenders and Trials HD. Short impressions so far gives me that "one more try" kind of vibe.
:blob_watch_madoka:

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
I need to start doing what you’re doing with parts accumulation. Are you looking for sales/deals? Or just picking up what you want, but parsing it out so it doesn’t hit your wallet at once?
Also, where? I used to live off of Newegg but there is some shadiness going on with them.

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
They better not remove it like they did with the home button and then add it back again :rolleyes:
i hope not ... but they should probably make it "toggleable" for people who don't want to see it

maybe that's what they're trying to do ... who knows

Reactions: lazerfox

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Is Before the Storm grabbing? Deluxe? Wait for a bundle? Lemme know

It's nowhere near LiS1, but it's still a pretty good game. I'd say go for it if you enjoyed the first one.

Good intentions and artistic value aren't everything, the execution matters too. Not saying this is the case with Death Stranding (haven't played it nor watched any gameplay apart from the reveal a while ago), but something being different or weird or artsy doesn't mean it's good. Case in point: Undertale, which I think is a terrible experience gameplaywise. I get why many people like it, but I'm also not surprised that I hated it so much. Likewise, I could understand someone thinking Super Paper Mario is trash (it makes you fight 20 enemies in a row in the most boring way, and that's after you were forced to run around in a hamster wheel for 5 minutes straight), and yet I love that game to death.

Last edited:
Reactions: sanhora and Nabs
Status
Not open for further replies.