Community MetaSteam | November 2019 - You Can't Spell Steam Without EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I don't know how it was in the SaGa 2 port but yeah, it's a wee bit janky.

Hopefully they'll fix this. Not a dealbreaker since it's just a sprite based game but it does feel weird.
In my humble opinion, a remastered port of a 1995 SNES game should not be running in 30fps while its original counterpart most likely will run at 60fps in an emulator.

At least they didn't put unremovable bilinear filtering on top of everything, so we'll just have count our blessings, I suppose.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
So is romancing saga 3 30 fps or is that a bug? Anyone figured how to get it to run at 60 fps at least?

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
So is romancing saga 3 30 fps or is that a bug? Anyone figured how to get it to run at 60 fps at least?
If we consider the fact that they're releasing the game on all modern console platforms including mobile, I wouldn't be surprised if they're targetting 30fps on purpose to avoid spending precious man hours targetting 60fps. It needs to run on Switch after all, where 30fps is the norm.

In theory we could use cheat engine in order to unlock the framerate, but by all likelihood the animation will be tied to framerate.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
What was the game performance like in the original snes?
Because far as ive seen over the years 2d animation in games need not be tied to 30 fps.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
If we consider the fact that they're releasing the game on all modern console platforms including mobile, I wouldn't be surprised if they're targetting 30fps on purpose to avoid spending precious man hours targetting 60fps. It needs to run on Switch after all, where 30fps is the norm.

In theory we could use cheat engine in order to unlock the framerate, but by all likelihood the animation will be tied to framerate.
Uh, what does Switch being weaker than other systems have to do with a SNES level JRPG's framerate?

Super Mario Odyssey and plenty others are 60fps so it can kind of comfortably do a lot better than a 30 fps SNES game even if it's nowhere near a PC, lol.

And the same goes for a good chunk of smartphones that have sold in the millions the last 5 years. No excuses for Square.

Reactions: xinek and Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
If scarlet grace is 60 fps then itd be pathetic
If any of yall played any of the recent acti create games on steam, check if they are 60 fps or not

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Uh, what does Switch being weaker than other systems have to do with a SNES level JRPG's framerate?
I'm merely taking a pot shot at the Switch. Of course Nintendo games are capable of running in 60fps. Other third party games won't be so lucky.

Also, weren't most SNES games designed to run in 60fps for NTSC region and 50fps for PAL?

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Y'all thought the Death Stranding reviews last week were bad?

Pokemon is going to be a goddamn bloodbath tomorrow morning. Wake up early for the drama!
I've not been keeping up with the nonsense around this Pokémon title, is all the fuss just because some Pokémon aren't in it?

If that's all it is then my gut reaction is 'honestly, who cares?'

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Y'all thought the Death Stranding reviews last week were bad?

Pokemon is going to be a goddamn bloodbath tomorrow morning. Wake up early for the drama!
At the end of the day the general public doesnt care. They will buy their Pokemon and probably break a record or two.

Also, I'll use this post to express my disgust at people who insist in using real life terms for dumb videogame drama, like Dexit. Brexit is something based in sheer classism and racism that will fuck up millions of people worldwide, it think it is in bad taste to use a similar term for something as trivial as a game not having enough Pokemon.

If that's all it is then my gut reaction is 'honestly, who cares?'
It just reminds me of people claiming Monster Hunter World was going to bomb because it wasnt going to be on 3DS / Switch. And ended up buying it anyway.

Reactions: xinek and BO7AMMOOD

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I'm merely taking a pot shot at the Switch. Of course Nintendo games are capable of running in 60fps. Other third party games won't be so lucky.
Sorry for pointing out how silly the pot shot was. Same for the third party separation. It's a SNES level game, what does it matter who made it, how would it be the hardware's fault if it's not 60 fps? But yes most HD 2D games on Switch from third parties, indies included, are 60 still. This doesn't utilize HD art, nor does it have fast action or physics or anything modern. It's true 3D games are commonly 30 (from Nintendo also), but they kind of do a lot more than any SNES game too, lol. Developers always tend to push visuals over framerates on all systems. Yes 16bit games were commonly 60fps but not really designed for 50 with dumb conversions at the time making them run slower, not just at lower framerates, with distorted sound and gameplay speed. There may also be some exceptions. Sadly this behavior continued to later generations. These days it's thankfully a thing of the past, even PAL retro releases often use US copies.

Last edited:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
On fucking please lmao, it's just an appropriated name from a real world event like when we appended "-gate" onto everything for like 45 years. In the case of Pokemon, it seems like it was chosen since it was a topical meme based on SWSH's setting.
I know, but I still think its kinda fucked up.

Reactions: xinek

DeejayDoom

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
Don't know what Capcom is touching but RE 2 added a new achievement:

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I got in the mood to play some Lego Harry Potter again, so I did. I'm in the middle of year 2 now, fun game. Though I realized I can play those games only for so long before I have my fill and need to play something else, before coming back later.

That Romancing SaGa 3 release also makes me want to continue playing 2, so I probably will do this in the near future.

Played some Into the Fray as well and it's certainly vastly different from the previous games. Not sure how I much I like it yet? It's pretty difficult at the beginning and the aiming feels a bit odd, but I'm getting used to it. I guess it will change once you get some more interesting weapons.

And I haven't even properly started My Time at Portia yet, only made a character and watched the intro.

Games, games everywhere.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Don't know what Capcom is touching what RE 2 added a new achievement:

Japanese on image says temporary. So something secret.

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
wasnt that like predicting what you press?
The way i understood it they want to predict when you're going to press buttons and precalculate those branches. If a 60fps game has say 4 frames delay built in (just calculations, not peripherals/monitor) and the prediction is correct and cuts the delay by 3 frames (4 down to 1) they've just reduced input delay by 50ms which could make up for the streaming delay or in some edge cases (slow ass games) be more responsive than the normal console version.

Of course anyone has yet to see this in action and even if it works the success and feeling of it will vary wildly between games, would be really interesting tech to see though.

Reactions: Wok and lashman

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
In my humble opinion, a remastered port of a 1995 SNES game should not be running in 30fps while its original counterpart most likely will run at 60fps in an emulator.

At least they didn't put unremovable bilinear filtering on top of everything, so we'll just have count our blessings, I suppose.
Oh, definitely. I have no idea whats the point of this cap, I thought my PC was lagging for a sec when the game started.

Its a pity because the game looks good. The updated visuals are nice with no shitty filters to ruin the sprites.

Reactions: Kvik

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
I guess this might be a better fit in the emulation or screenshots thread, but I thought this was worth talking about - "hidden" super high quality assets in games that are hidden behind lower res base hardware.

I just finished Demon's Souls on RPCS3, and I was honestly shocked with how detailed the enemy designs were. Like, if someone were to make an HD texture pack for the game, they probably wouldn't need to touch the enemies.

It's fascinating stuff! This slug is just, honestly if you'd told me it was from a PS4 game or something I'd probably believe you. That's some surprising detail!

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
I guess this might be a better fit in the emulation or screenshots thread, but I thought this was worth talking about - "hidden" super high quality assets in games that are hidden behind lower res base hardware.

I just finished Demon's Souls on RPCS3, and I was honestly shocked with how detailed the enemy designs were. Like, if someone were to make an HD texture pack for the game, they probably wouldn't need to touch the enemies.

It's fascinating stuff! This slug is just, honestly if you'd told me it was from a PS4 game or something I'd probably believe you. That's some surprising detail!
Was it hard to setup the RPCS3? I have the game laying collecting dust, since I won't probably ever boot the PS3 again :D

Reactions: xinek

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
That library feels like something they should give everyone for a month for free just to test the service, not expect people to buy into it <_<

Reactions: xinek and madjoki

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I don't understand why Thumper and Kine are there. Like, what special will Stadia bring to them? Kine for those who wants to avoid EGS until the exclusivity is over?

Also, why is Thumper there? It's not like Stadia will have VR support and I don't see Stadia Thumper being better than VR Thumper.

I have played Thumper with and without VR and Thumper is much better in VR (like any game that has a good VR mode).

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018

Sparklite (releasing in 2 days) got a demo.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
I don't understand why Thumper and Kine are there. Like, what special will Stadia bring to them? Kine for those who wants to avoid EGS until the exclusivity is over?

Also, why is Thumper there? It's not like Stadia will have VR support and I don't see Stadia Thumper being better than VR Thumper.

I have played Thumper with and without VR and Thumper is much better in VR (like any game that has a good VR mode).
Thumper is great change to prove that fast paced games with high amount of visual action on screen work.

Reactions: Wok

Deleted member 113

Of the titles currently on sale, anything worth a look (biggest discount so far, ...)?

thanks ;)

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Don't know what Capcom is touching but RE 2 added a new achievement:

Japanese version also got a new achievement so it doesnt seem like an accident

Status
Not open for further replies.