Community MetaSteam | November 2019 - You Can't Spell Steam Without EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Destra done :VodkaWaifu:
Hmm, ok, so how is the horror element ? I mean the trailer with the invisible creatures was hype, is there a trace of that mood ? Is the plot solid ? IDGAF about the delivery gameplay, is there a good lore ?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Sorry for pointing out how silly the pot shot was. Same for the third party separation. It's a SNES level game, what does it matter who made it, how would it be the hardware's fault if it's not 60 fps?
Honestly, regardless of how low-tech a game is, it could still be the case that it's simply badly made and doesn't run at 60 on Switch without extra engineering work, and that any engineering work is too much for S-E. (Of course, the same is true for every HW platform, but with the current set Switch will be the first to run into any implementation limits)

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Hmm, ok, so how is the horror element ? I mean the trailer with the invisible creatures was hype, is there a trace of that mood ? Is the plot solid ? IDGAF about the delivery gameplay, is there a good lore ?
About the horror elements, they exist, but by and large i would not call it a horror game. At the beginning of the game they are spooky, but eventually they also change a lot to something more fantastical, but i would have to spoil to elaborate on that futher.

Mostly i would say, the horror is more gloomy than fearsome in atmosphere, like Bloodborne.
That said, there's large stretches of gameplay where these elements don't exist, respectively can and should be avoided if possible.

So don't buy it if you want a spook,

The plot is fairly unique, let me say that.

It mixes Sci-Fi with the supernatural and Lovecraft, in a way that is visually incredibly intruiging and has a lot of cool metaphors that have the subtlety of a brick smacked into your face. The story at its core is also fairly uniqe, but its themes are treated in a rather shallow manner, so you have a lot of cool ideas and concept that dont really say much at the end of the day even if the game likes to pretend that it's really meaningful.

But despite that, the story is thrilling and something that i can appreciate existing.
So in a manner, i think the game is more valuable for the ways in which it presents its story, than for those things it's saying.

In any case, i think people who like Lovecraft will enjoy this for its fairly unique take on lovecraftian ideas that go very far away from the usual stereotypes (i.e. Cultists, THA OLD ONES, insanity and fishmen)

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I used horror in a loose way, I'm very ok with fantastical. Your report is encouraging, so you are telling me everything is not pizza and piss in a wasteland.
Thanks for the write up.

In fact I transitioned from IDGAF to it hurts a little to have to wait for summer 2020.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I've not been keeping up with the nonsense around this Pokémon title, is all the fuss just because some Pokémon aren't in it?

If that's all it is then my gut reaction is 'honestly, who cares?'
I use to like Pokemon games but in recent years it just feels like they have not been doing enough to "update them". And some times they do stuff that is just way to different. I didn't like Sun and Moon.

To put it simply it feels like the Let's Go Pikachu and Let's go Evee games have higher production value compared to what is in sword and shield. So your spin off feels like more thought was put into it than your mainline game is never a good thing.

I'm skipping the game but I might get the next version that you know will come out in a year or two that will just be an upgraded version of these two games.

Reactions: AHA-Lambda

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yaga looks great (but not as great as that other low-fi 3D mixed with sprites 2.5D souls thingie from the other day), Rune 2 shit, what a waste.

Edit: I meant Zealot:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I guess this might be a better fit in the emulation or screenshots thread, but I thought this was worth talking about - "hidden" super high quality assets in games that are hidden behind lower res base hardware.

I just finished Demon's Souls on RPCS3, and I was honestly shocked with how detailed the enemy designs were. Like, if someone were to make an HD texture pack for the game, they probably wouldn't need to touch the enemies.

It's fascinating stuff! This slug is just, honestly if you'd told me it was from a PS4 game or something I'd probably believe you. That's some surprising detail!
There's a lot of stuff that is completely lost by muddy graphics and it's a big surprise when emulated.
From Software games are definitely up there, going from the old console games to PC ports reveals the crazy texture work and the great models (... minus faces).

I'm playing a lot of 3DS games right now, and there's some pretty impressive stuff on there that is outright invisible in 240p.
Like Bravely Default, it's super nice in general, the cinematics are super cool (but obviously, in 240p) and it has such nice art style... I hope they'll make something with the franchise someday, a bit like The Alliance Alive coming next year.

A good bit of AI upscaling would be welcome for textures though; emulated FFVII-IX are extremely good looking once modded; but 3DS games textures... look a bit like a sick dog rubbed its ass on them.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
All 3 Tomb Raider games? Wow, you spoil us Google.

I'm curious about Ass Creed performance. It runs like crap on GeForce now with the server grade voltas they use and obvious lack of SSD storage. (Might just be the bet config). You can actually go into the menus and try to tweak the settings yourself but it does nothing in my experience. So you end up with a 60fps stream of a game running at anything from 20 to 40 fps with super muddy quality.

I think overall the most interesting aspect (for me) of streaming solutions will be the power bill savings. Running my OC 24/7 and some long gaming sessions on demanding games can result in an increase of 200%+ on my power bill (not actual cost, has to do with subsidies).

I would only consider it as a supplementary service if it performs well enough and the savings at the end of the month justify it. Stadia right now has some other costs that imply we are a long way from that and performance is yet tbd.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, little question. A game I don't play regularly officially supports steam cloud. But in propriety, steam cloud is at 0 kb.
So ? Is propriety misleading ? Or the steam cloud support ?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Until yesterday I was half convinced that Necrobarista was delayed at the last minute for money hatting reason. Then I dug a little deeper and it seems that's sorta the case. They seem to be part of future Apple Arcade releases.
I mean, you do you, I'm ok with 4.99 for your game :shrugblob:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, little question. A game I don't play regularly officially supports steam cloud. But in propriety, steam cloud is at 0 kb.
Oh no, I'm invisible, am I ? It's high school all over again :fearful-face:

Reactions: Eferis and lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Nope, you're here and visible but i have no idea about Steam Cloud as i only ever think about it if i have to turn it off because it breaks a game.
Sorry.

Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

Deleted member 113

It shouldn't be 0 kb.

I can think of a couple of things that may be happening:

-cloud support was added after you last played the game?
-cloud support has to be activated in-game (in a few games, you have to specifically select that you want the saves to be stored on the cloud)?

In none of the above is true, cloud support may not be working (I don't recall exactly, but for a couple of games the option was there on properties, but it wasn't working).

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
"Moons of Madness" and "Bring Us The Moon" are on my list to get for Cozy, Winter Nights when you just want to get warm and relax a bit.

I'd also forgotten how much Neptunia cheers me up. Boing "Like a Kangaroo!"

Looks like it is coming back to Steam. I don't remember it was delisted from Steam.
Delisted June 1st due to Nyu Media losing the license. Looks like PLAYISM is publishing it now, maybe we'll get the Console Content too?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Fuck everything, fuck the fucking world of fuck.
I had finally decided to bite on Somnium PC. It just came back to full price.

What the living fuck is it with discounts ending 1 hour before Steam usual refresh ?

Deleted member 113

What the living fuck is it with discounts ending 1 hour before Steam usual refresh ?
Here, the discounts ended 3 hours before usual. :unsure:

I didn't buy most stuff I wanted on the Halloween sale because I was expecting the sale to run until Monday, and it ended on a Friday, and also hours before the "refresh".

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I'm very conflicted between a chill mood in a cozy evening and seeing one of my most wanted game go up 20 bucks.
I'm super angrychill, basically. Although right now I must admit I'm more angry.

Deleted member 113

Before the timers ran out?
No, the timers were correct. :)

It's just that, as Li Kao mentioned the daily Steam "refresh" happens here at 6PM (and that's usually when all deals end as well), but these deals, like the ones from the Halloween sale, ended a few hours before that (in my location they ended at 3PM).

Reactions: Li Kao
Status
Not open for further replies.