Community MetaSteam | November 2019 - You Can't Spell Steam Without EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'm always disappointed if a game has a "charming single-player campaign" and a "co-op mode".

If you already did all the implementation heavy-lifting for multiplayer then why not go the extra step to make your campaign playable in coop?

(Yes, I realize there's more extra work and testing involved, but I still think it's basically always worth it considering how incremental it is compared to getting the multiplayer to work in the first place and building the campaign)

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
As far as applying thermal paste goes, I've always just applied a pea and then put the cooler directly on that. The pressure from the cooler should spread the paste evenly across the surface. Haven't had an issue with that method at all, and it's easy peasy.
that's pretty much all you need to do really ... as long as it's enough - should be fine

It has regional pricing in Canada, Much better than that horrendous Octopath pricing holy shit square.

Also its only 6 months old so full price is understandable.
not really ... 6 months is A LOT of time

if you're gonna charge full price (season pass shit included or not) - you better release it at the same time ... otehrwise - fuck off

also - to reiterate my point about the regional pricing ... it might be ok for Canada ... but it's not ok for, like, most of the regions (that aren't "the west"):

Reactions: Arsene and MJunioR

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
When will Square Enix ever not just (almost) shadow drop their PC ports?
I kinda like it, to be fair. Where else I could get this feeling of complete ambivalence, at seeing an old game with a full price tag attached, appearing out of nowhere? Never change Squar, never change.

Reactions: Arsene and lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The Oculus Link update for the Quest is live. Owners of the Quest should check if they can use SteamVR with it.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
When will Square Enix ever not just (almost) shadow drop their PC ports?
When console died or when through some miracles a few months old PC port sales more than both console combined.

It will never happened.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
It's comforting, then, that Stadia runs all its launch titles immaculately. On my pedestrian connection of about 100 megabits down and 10 up with something like 20 milliseconds of latency — which Stadia's built-in connection checker rates as "excellent" — I haven't experienced a single connection hiccup. Red Dead Redemption 2 runs smoothly at 4K/60

Again, the obvious takeaway from Stadia is that despite a 4K output from Chromecast Ultra, the game itself is rendering at a lower resolution. It took a bit of effort to figure out what's going on, but the evidence points to Red Dead Redemption 2 operating with an internal pixel-count of 1440p. Again, we'll be looking at the specific visual feature set of the Stadia port in future, but first impressions suggest a good level of similarity in terms of specific settings with the Xbox One X version. Meanwhile, the Stadia port of RDR2 also seems to be running at the same 30 frames per second frame-rate as well. It's Red Dead Redemption 2 in its entirety, it plays well, and even with the existing, very large latency built into the game, there are no issues whatsoever in progressing through the game via the streaming platform.

I trust Digital Foundry.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018

Initially, Google told us that it was using the highest-resolution, highest-fidelity build of Destiny 2 available. But Bungie later confirmed that our eyes weren’t deceiving us. “When streaming at 4K, we render at a native 1080p and then upsample and apply a variety of techniques to increase the overall quality of effect,” a Bungie rep said, adding that D2 runs at the PC equivalent of medium settings. That explains why the Xbox One X build, which runs at a native 4K and with higher-res assets, looks so much better than Stadia.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
There was no chance in hell Stadia would run RDR2 at 60fps.

The power of their cloud was still only a 10teraflop AMD gpu according to them.

What is even a 10tflop AMD gpu nowadays? And how does RDR2 perform with it? If its not consistently hitting 60fps than R* capping it @ 30makes sense.

Reactions: Arsene

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
The funniest part is latency. I knew latency was going to be a problem, you knew latency was going to be a problem, everyone knew latency was going to be a problem because it's fucking obvious that latency was going to be a problem... and yet they claimed that they managed to beat the limits of physics to provide a latency free experience! And someone actually believed it.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
There was no chance in hell Stadia would run RDR2 at 60fps.

The power of their cloud was still only a 10teraflop AMD gpu according to them.

What is even a 10tflop AMD gpu nowadays? And how does RDR2 perform with it? If its not consistently hitting 60fps than R* capping it @ 30makes sense.
To put into perspective: A 2080ti has 26 Tflops* (single precision), a GTX 970 has only 4.
Far removed from the highest end GPUs, but also quite decent for current tech.

*terra FLOPS, for "thousand floating point operations a second". All the math for modern graphics are done on floating point numbers, so that tends to be an important indication of performance, though it's a very simplistic measure on its own. Single-precision refers to number of bits used, which is 16 in this case

Reactions: Kvik

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
To put into perspective: A 2080ti has 26 Tflops* (single precision), a GTX 970 has only 4.
Far removed from the highest end GPUs, but also quite decent for current tech.

*terra FLOPS, for "thousand floating point operations a second". All the math for modern graphics are done on floating point numbers, so that tends to be an important indication of performance, though it's a very simplistic measure on its own. Single-precision refers to number of bits used, which is 16 in this case
They are gonna need to unlock the second layer of the cloud to double that tflop count. They promised it for the future but not at launch irrc.

AssCreed Odyssey was 30fps last year as well during their project stream beta thing. If Odyssey couldn't get 60 there is no way they can get RDR2 to do it.

I would expect all big open world games on Stadia to be 30fps. Maybe some rare cases of 60fps at the free 1080p base package.

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Might it be the empty open world or the awful writing

Wait, when did they release a localization for it?
I LITERALLY just checked the storepage last week and there was no news of one
Have to opt into the beta build for it.

Reactions: Kvik and lashman

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Leave it to Square-Enix to randomly drop this right after I stopped thinking it would happen lol. Looking at wikipedia, seems like the console version only came out 4 months ago, though. For some reason, I thought that was just the switch version and that PS4 was way before that. Still, it's been long enough that full price is a hard pass. Also, where's the first one??

Oh for fuck's sake, it's a variable discount bundle but they made completely new DLC packages instead of using the existing ones, so no one actually gets an extra discount. I feel so fucking stupid for buying season 2 and 3 just a few months ago. Fucking hell, Capcom handle their DLC is such a scummy way...

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Didn't Epic had one of these some months ago?

Which 'these' I mean dedicated, real users that just joined Twitter in order to clear misconceptions about great products being unfairly criticized by biased, entitled consumers, of course.
they did (and still do), yes

Capcom handle their DLC is such a scummy way...
same for regional pricing

Reactions: MJunioR
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
€85? That's even more expensive than Gears 5 😂
quoting myself from the "new store pages" thread:

i believe they are just selling Drawkanoid keys on g2a etc. "undercover" ... and those keys activate this game instead ... people aren't supposed to actually buy this one on steam ($99.99 is the max price devs can set on steam without contacting volvo directly)

which is stupid because i actually WANT to buy this one (and the real one too) ... looks like a fun concept ... but they're basically forcing me now to go buy the "fake" one on g2a or whatever
they're selling THIS game "disguised" as the base game ...

as in: people go to g2a thinking they're buying this:

but instead they're getting this:

it's kinda shitty .... i think they were trying to do that "pirated game gives you an eyepatch" thing, but didn't really think this one through too well :p

still - i posted in the forum for this fake one (if they're planning on changing the price to a sane level) ... we'll see if they'll even reply

Deleted member 113

Tizoc, do you know what DLCs one would need to buy (besides this one), to get everything?
I know this upgrade doesn't include some costumes, do you know in which DLCs are they included?

---

In other news, Sin Slayers just received a free expansion called Snow Peak:

The game is also currently on sale:

The game is very enjoyable, for those who like the genre, and has a good amount of content.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
All this hype for cloud gaming with stadia and it's basically where we were at 10 years ago when I tried Onlive. The games are blurrier, lag a lot more and in general is just a worse all around experience. 10 years and it hasn't advanced at all...hell going by some of these results of games running or looking worse than Xbox I'd argue it went backwards.

Cloud gaming is starting to seem like 3D to me. Every decade or so it comes back and silicon valley or corporate suits will hype up how it's different this time and it ends up being the same disappointing shit and fades away only to repeat the next decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.