Community MetaSteam | November 2020 - There Was a Title Here. It's Gone Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
Why does everything need to be released on the same day?!

Yakuza 7
Valhalla
Tekken 7 Season 4
Destiny 2 Expansion

I had nothing to play the last few weeks and now I can't decide :blobweary:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Played 49 min of Legion. Enabling some cheats via WeMod made the game more fun for me so Im gonna see if I will finish the game, just finished the first chapter (according to the IGN walkthrough). The game is like the first game, it has a lot of flaws, but might be just enough enjoyable for me to play through. And since I apparently own the Ultimate Edition of Valhalla (store page says I own it and it doesn't have the Ubisoft+ symbol on it like Legion despite no order confirmation anywhere) I can focus on Legion instead.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I'm so dumb, sorry in advance for the question, but isn't it one of VRR jobs to reduce the impact of these micro stutters ?

To be precise, I'm good on the effect G-FreeSync has on tearing, it's the other way around that I have more trouble understanding.
Pretty much what Swenhir said.

simplified, not 100% correct explanation:

A standard 60Hz display will draw a new frame every 16.6 milliseconds. No matter what.
[ 1000 milliseconds / 60 = 16.6ms ]

You have to make sure that you PC is outputting a new frame every 16.6 ms (60fps), every 16,6ms x 2 = 33,3ms (30fps), 16,6ms x 3 = 50ms (20fps) to avoid screen tearing and to get a consistent output without stutters. But consistent and without stutters =|= smooth. I don't think anybody would describe 20fps as smooth gaming anymore.

In a scenario where you are not able to reach 16.6ms or a whole-number multiple of 16.6 you get screen tearing. Let's take 50fps as an example:
Your systems calculates a new image every 20ms, but your display draws a new image ever 16.6ms. Your display and your PC are not in sync and as a result frames get drawn that aren't fully completed and start overlapping with a previous frames.

To avoid screen tearing, V-Sync comes into play: It "buffers" images and tells your display to draw certain frames for longer periods of time. 50fps output means that your display will show a frame for 16.6ms, then 33.3ms, then 16.6ms, then 33.3 ms again and so on.
This eliminates tearing, but constantly changing intervals introduce stuttering.

This is the stuttering that G-Sync and co prevent. Diplays adjust their refresh rate to the render timings your PC needs. There is no tearing and no stuttering because of changing frame intervals. But that doesn't mean that 50fps feel as smooth as 70fps or that 30fps suddenly become super fluid.

It also isn't able to deal with sudden, huge spikes in rendering times. Short spikes up or down in render time are still noticeable. If you play at 71fps (14ms) and suddenly there is a short, one frame spike to 70ms (14fps), and back to 15ms again: You'll notice that kind of behavior as short pauses in game play.
No Display Tech can help with that. Maybe some kind of interpolation would, but that would also introduce severe input lag (I assume).
And that's exactly what is going on with AC:Valhala and why unlocked gameplay doesn't feel good:

Unlocked FPS:

Locked to 60:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
FOMO for Demon's Souls is pretty much the only reason I will attempt to get a PS5 on the 19th when the shops starts selling the consoles they were suppose to sell in retail.

If Demon's Souls weren't releasing until next year I most likely wouldn't care about getting a PS5 now. I loved Demon's Souls on PS3 and the remake looks really damn good.

Reactions: QFNS

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
All this Sakuna talk makes me want to grab it today. Please have decent pricing...

Also Demon's Souls is a very faithful remake of a several years old game. The idea of having FOMO over that is completely alien to me, as much as I wanna play it eventually.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Why the fuck SEGA region locking Asia region from buying Yakuza 7? Sony exclusivity bullshit?

And currently I'm watching a SEGA promoted Yakuza 7 stream, on PC, where the streamer live in Japan where the game is region locked. What the fuck.
Link to stream please and how do you know it's the PC version?

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Heh, even though I have good headphones, I ordered a gaming headset! Since I use headphones during my classes and then after school when gaming it has come to me using the pretty much the moment I wake up to when I go to sleep. The ones I use are over ear so it starts hurting so I ordered over ear ones.

Reactions: ISee

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019

Yakuza 7
Valhalla
Tekken 7 Season 4
Destiny 2 Expansion

I remember an uproar for destiny 2 with the new rotating seasonal stuff, is it still the case? Like drops in a season aren't valid after a year

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium

Yakuza 7
Valhalla
Tekken 7 Season 4
Destiny 2 Expansion

Buy Yakuza 7, ignore the rest. You can thank me later. :)

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Thinking about trying out Tales of Vesperia, what should I know? Are there earlier games I need to play first?
Each Tales of games are standalone games and it's not required to play any others before. Exception would be Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. I haven't played it myself, but it's a direct sequel to Tales of Symphonia.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Hope there comes an update soon that makes the XSX controller useable on PC via bluetooth. I can pair it no problem with my PC. Shows up as a Xbox Controller in my bluetooth devices. But then I can’t use it in games. And in the USB controller testing it doesn’t show the name and when I do the input test every button is recognized except the triggers.
Talking with people on Discord and I am not the only one with this problem. Tried re-pairing a few times but still not working properly.

it works flawless wired but I want to use it wireless. Sure I could drop 30€ or so on the official dongle but I think when they say it supports a bluetooth connection I shouldn’t have to.

Wrote their support on Twitter and see what comes out of it. Will use it wired for the time being.

guhguh222444

thou who art undead art chosen
Aug 23, 2020
Hope there comes an update soon that makes the XSX controller useable on PC via bluetooth. I can pair it no problem with my PC. Shows up as a Xbox Controller in my bluetooth devices. But then I can’t use it in games. And in the USB controller testing it doesn’t show the name and when I do the input test every button is recognized except the triggers.
Talking with people on Discord and I am not the only one with this problem. Tried re-pairing a few times but still not working properly.

it works flawless wired but I want to use it wireless. Sure I could drop 30€ or so on the official dongle but I think when they say it supports a bluetooth connection I shouldn’t have to.

Wrote their support on Twitter and see what comes out of it. Will use it wired for the time being.
How do the bumpers and triggers feel? That was my major issue with the XBone controller.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Pretty much what Swenhir said.

simplified, not 100% correct explanation:

Thank you !
I will have to reread that several times :flushed-face:

FFS :grimacing-face:

FOMO for Demon's Souls is pretty much the only reason I will attempt to get a PS5 on the 19th when the shops starts selling the consoles they were suppose to sell in retail.
Not an attack on your preferences, obviously, but I would join Stone Ocean on that one. I have played DS, loved DS (it's my favorite Soul game with maybe Bloodborne) but I feel zero desire to play the remake. Even if some choices weren't debatable, I'm good.

You know what ? I'm just super dumb. I don't need a console and couldn't afford games for it, and the cherry on top is if I could put my hands on a PS5 I would play backcompatible games I missed like Spidey and Tsushima. 500 euros to play PS4 games, that's me.

Rant
Seriously, I'm super tired of this period. Everything is 500 bucks, and everything is sold out. I can't even buy something to treat myself for my upcoming anniversary.
A PS4 for the games I missed ? That's relatively stupidly expansive when you can get a PS5
A PS5 good fucking luck finding one
An XSX, same shit and we get everything on PC anyways
A 1440p 120 monitor is doable, just well, like every fucking thing in that list, 500 bucks
GPU are out of my reach budget wise, maybe 3070 FE, but they are a no show and probably won't come back (the FE cards I mean)

edit -
Serious Sam for Switch ! Oh my fucking God, just bring 2020 in the back and put a bullet in it already :sweaty-blob:

Last edited:

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019

With 24.99€ overpriced. Thanks Humble Games. :( 17 Euro at 2game uk.
Early Access. :(
Shitty checkpoint system. :(
3rd party account is required to use online features. :(

Also, NO. THIS IS NOT A OLDSCHOOL FPS. DEAR DEVS, STOP USING THAT PHRASE!

EDIT: Bought the game against my own naggings. Will report back. :face-with-cold-sweat:
Yeah, I bought it on GMG, where it was slightly over $20. I will definitely get $20 worth of fun out of this game, although I'll always wonder if I'm part of the problem when early access games become yet another abusive gaming industry tactic.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
I must really be the only person who thinks that the Demon's Souls remake is as unfaithful as it gets and a borderline mockery of the original. Oh well.
I feel that. It's so similar, but just makes the small changes stick out more. Like, why is the Boletarian Palace so colorful? The original felt like a brutalist nightmare structure by way of a medieval setting. The new one has all of this nice, colorful ivy growing everywhere. It's just a castle with some maintenance problems now. Stuff like that is small, but it alters the tone of the game, and all the footage I've seen of the DeS remake feels cartoony, where the original felt bleak.

With how little Sony cares about preservation, I'm worried these Bluepoint remakes will supersede the originals going forward. With them (supposedly) embracing PC, it means we can get their games on a platform that won't go obsolete, but it's going to sting when they announce a Shadow of the Colossus remaster for PS6/PC and it turns out to be a remaster of the remake.

Thank God for emulation.

Reactions: guhguh222444

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
How do the bumpers and triggers feel? That was my major issue with the XBone controller.
I haven't tried them in a game yet but just holding it they feel good. The triggers have a rougher texture which makes slipping off harder which is nice. Bumpers have them, too, but not at the part where you will mostly press them. Dpad feels nice. It is more an evolution of the Xbox One controller but a real good one.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Jeez, Yakuza 7 is available everywhere, except Steam. I wonder if it's Valve's fuck up or Sega just being cunts? I paid for this shit ffs.

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
I remember an uproar for destiny 2 with the new rotating seasonal stuff, is it still the case? Like drops in a season aren't valid after a year
Honestly I haven't read too much about the new changes. I only know that they removed the original campaigns which make are a pretty big chunk from the content. I don't mind them removing it since I've played more than enough but it sure sucks for new players.

Buy Yakuza 7, ignore the rest. You can thank me later. :)
Just bought Yakuza 7 since it's on Steam and the Valhalla reviews don't look as amazing as I would have expected. Also I'm kinda burnt out from 100+ hours of AC Odyssey that I can wait for a sale.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im gonna have to delay my purchase of Yakuza 7, Falconeer and Prodeus for a while, I feel.

Im currently playing Legion which I only have 1 month to play (fuck subscriptions, but I didn't wanna pay full price for it because it's not on Steam, so fuck Ubi), I also bought Valhalla Ultimate Edition with the price error yesterday (still saying I own the game in the store page unlike Legion so I guess Im good), I might get a review code for Godfall, Pathless and Bugsnax for PC and I have confirmed a PC review code for the new CoD on friday. Im also not done with Manifold Garden which im in the middle of.

Yes, Godfall, Pathless and Bugsnax are EGSexclusives, but as long as I don't use money on the store I don't care, same reason why I don't have a problem with playing freebies (and the freebies I like I actually end up buying on Steam :p ) and F2P games on EGS. I simply just won't use money there.

Reactions: Alexandros

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Destiny Beyond Light just came out and Bungie changed the achievements that required vaulted content so you can still earn them by completely changing what you need to do to get them, There was 1 achievement I didnt have (Complete the Leviathan raid on Prestige difficulty) so I thought I was locked out of the 100% but this change makes it so I can still earn it.

God thank you bungie. My achievement whore heart appreciates you.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Great, I buy a gaming headset and the only game I play has broken sound now haha! All sounds in Minecraft sound like encrypted distorted messages from aliens.

Thankfully it was the 7.1 sound thingie only, just could swith to regular stereo.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I don't remember the last time I bought a game at release day/week. Even Crusader Kings 3 was a few weeks after release.

Checking Steam purchases and license activations,
Even X4 Foundations was 2 weeks after release in December 2018 because I was away.

So the last games I bought on release in the last 5 years was
Anno 1800 (the newest day1 purchase)
Imperator Rome in early 2019
Battletech in early 2018
D:OS2 in 2017
XCOM 2 and CIV VI in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.