Community MetaSteam | November 2020 - There Was a Title Here. It's Gone Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The game is still a work in progress so I can't definitively say one way or another how it will pan out. I just wanted to say being a fighting game, I don't think it doesn't mean it will not have fun level design and variety of enemies. The level design in the video, at least to me, doesn't seem like just some reused arena in a multiplayer plopped into single player. Level design in terms of layout rather than art design I mean. I am a bit confused though since I'm sure Platinum action games also puts you into arenas with waves of enemies to fight before progressing. Hopefully Varvarion developer will add cutscenes, and potentially small puzzles to go through as the levels progress making it more of an adventure.

Basically I think this is too small of a preview to consider this some kind of token single player game and I'm hopeful for it.
Small preview or not it's a massive task for one dev, we'll see though, I'd rather think it won't have it unless otherwise shown than be disappointed down the line.

The actual trailer of the game focused on the characters fighting 1 on 1 (on possibly the same level):
Dude is an Arc System Works dev and is doing this alone..!

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I am watching a German TV show about culture, art, etc. and suddenly there is a part about Cyberpunk 2077
Which so far is the best marketing for the game? They are telling it is political, proud to have transgender options in there, etc. Almost the anti-thesis to what they showed so far
Though they didn’t mention any of the working conditions or the transphobe marketing so far 😬

Dekunator

Timmy Tencent owes me money
Apr 17, 2019
It looks like they completely missed their initial target of 2020 release for this game. Still no news on early access.

Saw this game for the first time yesterday and I wish I'd have known about the Kickstarter, it looks super promising.

Reactions: Prodigy

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
holy crap google is loaded goddamn
Yes? They're Google, in case you forgot for a second. The big tech companies are literally made out of money.
10 million is literally nothing for them.
They are telling it is political, proud to have transgender options in there, etc. Almost the anti-thesis to what they showed so far
Actually, there's been some criticism of those "transgender" options. You can chose the sound of your character, but not their preferred pronoun. So no matter who you want to play, you're character will always be a "he" or "she", depending on the voice.

But not surprised to see media not pick up on this, anything that even looks different from the "normal" way video protagonists look like (white dude, with dark hair) is seen as something amazing and progressive.

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Actually, there's been some criticism of those "transgender" options. You can chose the sound of your character, but not their preferred pronoun. So no matter who you want to play, you're character will always be a "he" or "she", depending on the voice.

But not surprised to see media not pick up on this, anything that even looks different from the "normal" way video protagonists look like (white dude, with dark hair) is seen as something amazing and progressive.
I know. Also the stuff about how big the character's genitalia is influences the pitch of the voice. Though not surprising for me that a show that has no focus on videogames does not pick up in that stuff. Kind of disappointing considering that the focus is normally on art and culture and they sometimes call stuff like that out in other areas.

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I am watching a German TV show about culture, art, etc. and suddenly there is a part about Cyberpunk 2077
Which so far is the best marketing for the game? They are telling it is political, proud to have transgender options in there, etc. Almost the anti-thesis to what they showed so far
Though they didn’t mention any of the working conditions or the transphobe marketing so far 😬

German Media not portraying a game as a "killer spiel" that turns children into monsters? :oops:
They are even treating it as art!

We are really in some sort of mirror universe.

with their social economic standing in society and because of that's don't really have plays to move up high. So there is not really much need for say a "blue collored" worker to try to say go back to school and do more training and stuff in order to get a much better paying job.
With all due respect: But this is as wrong as it could be.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
German Media not portraying a game as a "killer spiel" that turns children into monsters? :oops:
They are even treating it as art!

We are really in some sort of mirror universe.
The times are a-changing

It's been that way for a few years now I observed. TTT had segments about Kentucky Route Zero and The Last of Us 2 this year. Neo Magazine does their „cozying up to gamers“ here and there because they are online people. Heute Show does a Call of Duty wordplay every other week. There have been documentaries about Nintendo, Xbox and Playstation on ZDF (late at night).

The voices that proclaimed this got more silent as time went on because they weren’t getting invited into talkshows. Or they shifted focus. Heute Show had a segment about eSports in their last show and had that Pfeiffer guy in there to show that he seems out of touch.

Kind of also makes sense because people who grew up with playing video games as a normal thing are now in the editorial staff, too

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I am a bit disappointed that the characters cannot be nude in the character creator. Or is it for German TV?

Teeth customization. :nerd-face:

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I hope we get Spider-man on PC relatively early next year. I'm in the mood for some mindless open world Spider-man game.
Don't get your hopes up.

Contrary to many other SIE games (God of War, Bloodborne even The Last of Us 1+2) Spider-Man has never been mentioned once as coming in the future. Neither Queen, nor Tizor nor anyone else spoke about it.

Probably not coming then.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Bought an XSX Controller.

• USB C is good. I'm finally able to remove that micro c cable that was being used for nothing else anymore.
  • The controller feels significantly smaller!
  • D-Pad is a nice improvement.
  • X,Y,A,B Buttons feel exactly the same.
  • Thumb sticks seem to be a bit more precise. Though that could be either placebo or because my "old" controller is now 5+ years old. 🤷
  • RT,RB,LB,LT feel a bit better to press.
  • I like the texture on the bottom of the controller. The plastic on the top feel a bit more cheap though.
If you need a new controller: It's a good controller.
If you are looking for a substantial, big upgrade over your current Xbox Controller: Nah, safe your money.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Don't get your hopes up.

Contrary to many other SIE games (God of War, Bloodborne even The Last of Us 1+2) Spider-Man has never been mentioned once as coming in the future. Neither Queen, nor Tizor nor anyone else spoke about it.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I was thinking about the release timeline for SEGA's releases in 2021 today. Sounds like a fun idea to share my predictions:

First half (PC): Yakuza 3-5
Second half (PC): Persona 5 Re:Royal, Yakuza 6 (or early 2022)
Bonus: Kiwami 3 coming to consoles in Japan, Sakura Wars 2 teaser

SEGA said they want to port more games to PC but I am rather pessimistic. I honestly think the upcoming releases will be pretty sparse, mainly due to covid. Yakuza is still the focus in 2021 but they will need more time to develop these ports. Apart from Yakuza, as Persona 4 for PC was the big hit, they will put more resources on P5 and try to release it asap. On the other hand, I wouldn't expect Judgement until early 2022. They know people want it, but it is not the focus for now.

Console-side, my instinct tells me that two new Yakuza games are under development, which are Yakuza Kiwami 3 and Yakuza 8. The former will be announced early next year and released around summer, while the latter will be a title for 2022. I bet they want to make Judgement 2 as well, but covid has big impact on recording so I wouldn't expect it until 2022. On the other hand, Sakura Wars 2 is definitely in-development due to all the foreshadowing in 1 and anime, but they need a bigger audience so they will try to attract more new players first, through the upcoming mobile title, Sakura Kakumei.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I honestly think the upcoming releases will be pretty sparse, mainly due to covid.
I obviously can't speak with any authority about other companies' processes, but personally I don't really see how COVID could substantially delay a PC port. Compared to complete games, PC ports are made by small groups of primarily engineers, and there's really no reason they can't work at home (once you get the data/repo situation under control, and given that they have decent internet).

Of the 3 porting-focused smaller studios I know the internals of (1 of which is our own), for 2 of them the developers were already working primarily or exclusively at home in 2019.

Edit:
Of course that's just one piece of the puzzle, I guess COVID could e.g. delay decision making processes at larger publishers.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Don't get your hopes up.

Maybe need Marvel's decision as well. Just like Kingdom Hearts.

Reactions: Shahem

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
Sakuna crashed on me... Mid auto-save. I lost 2 hours of progress and it hurts. :crying-face:

Apart from that, the game's incredible and deserves all of its success. It's wild just how many systems are at play in it. The rice-farming mechanics are a million times more detailed than you'd expect from a hack-and-slash, and the combat and RPG mechanics are intricate as well. It would be impressive coming from a larger studio, let alone such a small one.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I was thinking about the release timeline for SEGA's releases in 2021 today. Sounds like a fun idea to share my predictions:

Second half (PC): Persona 5 Re:Royal, Yakuza 6 (or early 2021)

SEGA said they want to port more games to PC but I am rather pessimistic. I honestly think the upcoming releases will be pretty sparse, mainly due to covid. Yakuza is still the focus in 2021 but they will need more time to develop these ports. Apart from Yakuza, as Persona 4 for PC was the big hit, they will put more resources on P5 and try to release it asap. On the other hand, I wouldn't expect Judgement until early 2022. They know people want it, but it is not the focus for now.

Console-side, my instinct tells me that two new Yakuza games are under development, which are Yakuza Kiwami 3 and Yakuza 8. The former will be announced early next year and released around summer, while the latter will be a title for 2022. I bet they want to make Judgement 2 as well, but covid has big impact on recording so I wouldn't expect it until 2022. On the other hand, Sakura Wars 2 is definitely in-development due to all the foreshadowing in 1 and anime, but they need a bigger audience so they will try to attract more new players first, through the upcoming mobile title, Sakura Kakumei.
Ok ok, let's see here they come MY predictions for PC (not consoles as I'm not interested in those)

First Half: Yakuza collection and SMT3HD (this is spring) and HOPEFULLY judgement.
Second Half: P5 Royal, Sakura Wars.
Bonus: 13 sentinels, if we are good kids.

I obviously can't speak with any authority about other companies' processes, but personally I don't really see how COVID could substantially delay a PC port. Compared to complete games, PC ports are made by small groups of primarily engineers, and there's really no reason they can't work at home (once you get the data/repo situation under control, and given that they have decent internet).

Of the 3 porting-focused smaller studios I know the internals of (1 of which is our own), for 2 of them the developers were already working primarily or exclusively at home in 2019.

Edit:
Of course that's just one piece of the puzzle, I guess COVID could e.g. delay decision making processes at larger publishers.
I'm with you here, if they are spare it's because of internal planning and partners process, not due covid as ports are not large team required, still don't think SEGA will release in one year 3 ports (Atlus stuff I will say it's in-house so not really SEGA per say), I would LOVE to be wrong but honestly, I can't see them doing a large scale release strategy for PC as I imagine there are also console games to be announced and promoted.

We can't have it all. I'd settle for God of War (reboot).
Let him be happy :crying-face:
If he wants Spidey so be it, THE POWER OF MY OPTIMISM AND MY WHOLESOME SPIRIT WILL BRING LOVE AND JOY TO ALL OF YOU, YOUR WISHES WILL COME TRUE BECAUSE THAT'S THE WILL OF THE MOR! :dualbladesblob:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

Edit:
I certainly hope covid won't delay their progress, but knowing how Japanese companies work (I worked for one before visa expired early this year, can't specify which one), they probably have a harder time to adapt due to the hierarchy structure and filing/reporting process. Even if they have already adapted to the situation, I honestly don't see a big change in PC releases in 2021 from them. They will release two to three titles but that's all. The effect of Persona 4 to their PC release strategy will be more salient in 2022.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
Ok ok, let's see here they come MY predictions for PC (not consoles as I'm not interested in those)

First Half: Yakuza collection and SMT3HD (this is spring) and HOPEFULLY judgement.
Second Half: P5 Royal, Sakura Wars.
Bonus: 13 sentinels, if we are good kids.

I'm with you here, if they are spare it's because of internal planning and partners process, not due covid as ports are not large team required, still don't think SEGA will release in one year 3 ports (Atlus stuff I will say it's in-house so not really SEGA per say), I would LOVE to be wrong but honestly, I can't see them doing a large scale release strategy for PC as I imagine there are also console games to be announced and promoted.

Let him be happy :crying-face:
If he wants Spidey so be it, THE POWER OF MY OPTIMISM AND MY WHOLESOME SPIRIT WILL BRING LOVE AND JOY TO ALL OF YOU, YOUR WISHES WILL COME TRUE BECAUSE THAT'S THE WILL OF THE MOR! :dualbladesblob:
If that is their schedule for 2021, it will be awesome. Crossing my fingers ;)🤞

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

Second half (PC): Persona 5 Re:Royal, Yakuza 6 (or early 2022)

I just did a quick search about what Japanese games SEGA release on PC during this year and the previous one:

2019:
  • Catherine Classic
  • Yakuza Kiwami
  • Puyo Puyo Champions
  • Yakuza Kiwami 2
  • Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD
2020:
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • PSO 2
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon
If they keep the same trending we can expect around 4 new games or ports, but SEGA being SEGA best wait for nothing to not get disappointed. ¯\(ツ)

• Eyes
Reactions: Cacher and Tomasety

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I want Yakuza 3-5 and the rest can go to hell.
No, I mean I'm interested in most of those, it's just that Yakuza is basically cursed for me at this point. Loved the first one, then with all the fuss about the second being butchered (localization wise) I waited. Then I was still miffed about it but I had a PS3 and wanted to play the series. But 3 at least wasn't available digitally and I was lazy. Then they remade and ported the franchise but wenty radio silence on 3-5.
And that's speaking without trying emulation and seeing weird graphical bugs and 1-2 WiiU ever coming west (I didn't have a WiiU though).

There comes a point when I will have to beg, won't I ?

Last edited:

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Maybe need Marvel's decision as well. Just like Kingdom Hearts.
Marvel would probably very much welcome additional revenue.

If Spider-Man (2018) was rumored to come to PC I'm sure at least some people here would know.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Ai caramba....
Actually not true in the case of James etc. He posted something denying it and unless there's a source, it appears to be fake.

Edit : source. I don't have a dog in this fight but I saw this pop up in my timeline and recognized his name. I'm not interested in twitter drama at all.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I want Yakuza 3-5 and the rest can go to hell.
[...]
There comes a point when I will have to beg, won't I ?
Ha -- there were games I didn't buy this year, specifically because I expected to be spending all my free time playing Yakuza ports. Hilarious. Now, I literally don't give a crap -- they don't exist to me. When they do release, I'll be completely obsessed with them, but until then, I'm a much happier person not thinking about them at all.
A small gripe; it sucks to be excited for something when there's zero communication. A timeline isn't necessary, but it would be nice to know if they were actually planned to be a real thing someday. Oh, well.

Reactions: Li Kao

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Since we're talking about Yakuza, I would appreciate some guidance on what to play from the series. I am currently playing Yakuza 0 and I decided to skip Kiwami because the guy who did the review on our site didn't rate it particularly high. I'll watch a let's play on Youtube to follow the story. I got Kiwami 2 from Humble Bundle so that's next.

Now, if I understand correctly, Zero and Kiwami use the same engine, right? Kiwami 2 uses a newer engine. Is that correct? If so, what's the deal with 3-5 and 6? Do they use the new engine, the old engine or something else? Are they all worth playing?

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Since we're talking about Yakuza, I would appreciate some guidance on what to play from the series. I am currently playing Yakuza 0 and I decided to skip Kiwami because the guy who did the review on our site didn't rate it particularly high. I'll watch a let's play on Youtube to follow the story. I got Kiwami 2 from Humble Bundle so that's next.

Now, if I understand correctly, Zero and Kiwami use the same engine, right? Kiwami 2 uses a newer engine. Is that correct? If so, what's the deal with 3-5 and 6? Do they use the new engine, the old engine or something else? Are they all worth playing?
Zero/Kiwami/4/5 use the same engine. 6/7/Kiwami 2 use the new Dragon Engine. Yakuza 3 I believe uses a different engine but it might be the same as the Zero one as well.

and I cant speak for Yakuza 3 but Yakuza 4 and 5 are definitely worth playing.

Reactions: Alexandros

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019

3-5 = old engine (the one 0 uses)
6 = Dragon engine (Kiwami 2's engine)

3 is uhh rough, it's technically the second HD game but the first mainline one so it has a lot of jank compared to the games that came after and it hasn't aged great, though the HD remaster fixed a lot of issues with the original US version - which was butchered to hell and back. You can safely skip this one while watching a story recap but odds are you'll have 3-5 in one package anyways so might as well give it a go and bail out if you're not into it since its pretty much the second worst mainline Yakuza game.

4 is very very very very good. I haven't played 5 and 6 yet but I hear good things about them, plus 6 is the big finale for some characters.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain

Yakuza 3 has an excellent cast and story, you can't skip it. So far it's my favourite.

Status
Not open for further replies.